HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Shea wants a short term deal ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Risotto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I suspect Weber, because Doughty has meehan, and Weber is facing arbitration, so he will be signed by August 4th at the latest.

I hope Weber signs first because I fear Doughty is going to get more than we wold like to give Webs..
the preds have to be thankful Weber didn't win the Norris. that would have given him more leverage, in negotiations and potentially the arbitration. whatever Doughty gets, the agent will probably say weber should get more.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:27 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risotto View Post
the preds have to be thankful Weber didn't win the Norris. that would have given him more leverage, in negotiations and potentially the arbitration. whatever Doughty gets, the agent will probably say weber should get more.
Some of us suspected a media conspiracy to give Weber the Norris in order to price him out of the Nashville market(yeah, thats just how we are)

The thing thats worrying many of us is that previously Weber had seemed very un-greedy, and we were hoping for an easy re-sign with a substantial hometown discount.

But if that was going to happen, it should have happened by now, so we are worrying that something has changed and now Shea either is wanting top dollar, even if it means we will be hamstrung in signing other players, or worse, that he wants out.

Fortunately, this will all be settled by August 4th. Then we can either justifyably freak out, or we can all relax.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:31 AM
pekkaslap

Is August 4th the next significant date/deadline as far as getting a deal done goes? I thought I heard something about July 20th/21st being a significant date for arbitration, I don't know much about it though.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:00 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Is August 4th the next significant date/deadline as far as getting a deal done goes? I thought I heard something about July 20th/21st being a significant date for arbitration, I don't know much about it though.
Webers arbitration hearing is August 2nd and the arbiter has 48 hours to announce the ruling. Since it is club requested arbitration with no walk-away rights, if there is no deal before then, whatever the arbiter decides will be "the" deal.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Shea Weber

Poile last night:

"It's just negotiations."

Old
07-14-2011, 10:15 AM
RaiderDoug

If it goes to arb, I have a hard time seeing Weber here longterm.

This may sound sacreligious around here, but the longer it goes, the more comfortable I am with a Weber-less Preds future.

If doesn't want to be here, ok, so be it.

We'll give the dough to Suter. And perusing some of the hypothetical trades out there, you can't tell me we couldn't land at least one high impact forward plus several other pieces.

And i'm still torn on whether it's wise for a team on a budget to spend 14 mil plus on 2 defensemen. It might be better to spread the dough out between the forward and defense corps.

That said, the guy is still my favorite player, I want him back, and I've got $200 in savings for a new road Weber jersey as soon as the guy signs a mid-long term deal.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:43 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

We fans read way too much into everything. Just because Shea isn't signed yet doesn't mean he does or doesn't want to be here long term. Some of these deals get done instantly, some require more in depth negotiations where the competing desires/needs of the team and player need to be worked out. How many years, how much per year on average, front/back load, to include NMC/NTC or not, and on and on. Shea's changing of agents so late in the game didn't help matters any either.

If it goes to arbitration, it probably gets ugly ... until then it's a quite common high caliber RFA negotiation so far.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:47 AM
PredsV82
No

anyone know when the Preds and Shea have to present their numbers to the arbiter?

Is it well before the hearing? Who has to give their number first?

Old
07-14-2011, 11:56 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
We fans read way too much into everything. Just because Shea isn't signed yet doesn't mean he does or doesn't want to be here long term. Some of these deals get done instantly, some require more in depth negotiations where the competing desires/needs of the team and player need to be worked out. How many years, how much per year on average, front/back load, to include NMC/NTC or not, and on and on. Shea's changing of agents so late in the game didn't help matters any either.

If it goes to arbitration, it probably gets ugly ... until then it's a quite common high caliber RFA negotiation so far.
I agree. One of the reasons we think this is taking so long is that we've never had a superstar on the team negotiating a long term deal. We've never been through this before. It's all negotiating.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
He wants to play in a hockey market. He wants a 1-2 year deal and then he will be either traded or he will walk.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:59 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
He wants to play in a hockey market.
I expect him to sign a long-term deal here in Nashville too!

Old
07-14-2011, 02:59 PM
trevorbird

Well thankfully Nashville in an NHL market. You're going to have to be specific, there's 30 markets.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:09 PM
KreamOfKrasov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
He wants to play in a hockey market. He wants a 1-2 year deal and then he will be either traded or he will walk.
I've never seen a hockey market. And if one such hockey supermarket did exist, I can't imagine that it would do enough business to be able to house a rink that could host a Nashville Predators game.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

let me guess, you're a Riotcouver fan

Old
07-14-2011, 03:52 PM
trevorbird

They call it a "burning passion," dude. Don't be so mean.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbird View Post

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-14-2011, 04:10 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbird View Post
haha... at the free clinic they call that the

Old
07-14-2011, 08:59 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Arbitration eliminated any chance of an offer sheet. With this being a team elected arbitration (vice player elected), there are no walk away rights. If this goes to the 2 Aug hearing, both sides are bound by the arbiter's decision.
Ahhh. So August 2nd is the date huh? I so want some good news on this...

Also, random question...do arbiters only grant one-year deals?

Old
07-14-2011, 09:14 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
let me guess, you're a Riotcouver fan
Pretty sure he/she is a Senators fan. The comment was pretty stupid, though, and pretty much on par with the idiocy we've seen from Vancouver fans. Gotta love the people who don't count cities with NHL teams as "hockey markets" Whatever it takes to feel big, I suppose

Old
07-14-2011, 09:30 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Ahhh. So August 2nd is the date huh? I so want some good news on this...

Also, random question...do arbiters only grant one-year deals?
with club elected arbitration I believe the player has the option of requesting a two year deal.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:44 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
with club elected arbitration I believe the player has the option of requesting a two year deal.
The non-electing party always has the option of 1 or 2 years.

Old
07-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Shea Weber

This week - new avatar.

Next week - New contract.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Halakness Monster

vCash: 50
Not reading thru 10 pages so be nice since I'm sure its been discussed everywhere.

What if a team offer sheeted him for a salary of 8+mil per year. Would the Preds management match it? I'm on a mobile and can't look up their cap scenario and Suters contract. Also I just wanted to say I hope he signs with you guys. Nashville needs to stay competitive to survive and you fans deserve that.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:53 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 View Post
Not reading thru 10 pages so be nice since I'm sure its been discussed everywhere.

What if a team offer sheeted him for a salary of 8+mil per year. Would the Preds management match it? I'm on a mobile and can't look up their cap scenario and Suters contract. Also I just wanted to say I hope he signs with you guys. Nashville needs to stay competitive to survive and you fans deserve that.
yes we would match with ease

But you cant offer sheet him so oh well

Old
07-15-2011, 01:19 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 View Post

Once arbitration is applied for the player is shielded from offer sheets. Since the team elected to apply for arbitration Weber cannot receive offer sheets. In fact, that was the sole reason (or at least the only reason stated publicly) for Nashville to have elected for arbitration.

To answer the hypothetical, yes the team most likely would have matched.

Closed Thread