HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top Left Wingers

Old
07-15-2011, 02:00 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Where does he fit?
Hemsky can play either wing

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:47 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Physically I can see the comparison but lindros had elite vision and playmaking ability. I see Ryan as much more of a finisher. Lindros had it all. He was a generational talent.

But that's a bad comparison to use because Philly gave up so much and didn't win a cup while forsberg went on to win two with the nordiques franchise.

I'd love Bobby Ryan or Lucic but neither are available for anything remotely resembling reasonable.

Hemsky is likely moved at the deadline if healthy and would be somewhat reasonable.
Hemsky is the kind of guy I had in mind too. Package Anisimov + Wolski, voila, nab Hemsky and say D Theo Peckham (with whatever draft picks sprinkled on either side to even it out).

07-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Lion, how could Ericsson not be what you are looking for on a line with Richards? They excelled together in Dallas.
Not what im looking for because I want to see a physical workhorse on the Left wall. Yes, they did well together and correct me if I am wrong but I think Eriksson played the Right side with Neal on the Left correct? A Left handed RW, being fed by a left handed center...which the Rangers already have now in Richards/Gaborik.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Hemsky can play either wing
Not what I meant, what I meant was where does he fit on the Rangers roster...as in, this thread was specific to who plays LW with Richards and Gaborik. Hemsky's a natural RW, but to me seems more of a set up guy than anything else. While I think he's a terrific hockey player I am not sold on the idea of Hemsky connecting with Richards and Gaborik. As much as he brtings to the table offensively I think Hemsky is soft, and if the Rangers meet up with the B's or the Fleys...even the Pens in the playoffs im just not confident with them as a top line ya know.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:21 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Not what I meant, what I meant was where does he fit on the Rangers roster...as in, this thread was specific to who plays LW with Richards and Gaborik. Hemsky's a natural RW, but to me seems more of a set up guy than anything else. While I think he's a terrific hockey player I am not sold on the idea of Hemsky connecting with Richards and Gaborik. As much as he brtings to the table offensively I think Hemsky is soft, and if the Rangers meet up with the B's or the Fleys...even the Pens in the playoffs im just not confident with them as a top line ya know.
Not necessarily.

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Hemsky-Anisimov-Callahan

Sign me up for that top 6 if Hemsky can be had for cheap.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:42 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Not necessarily.

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Hemsky-Anisimov-Callahan

Sign me up for that top 6 if Hemsky can be had for cheap.
I do that

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Ke11y96

What about R.J Umberger? 1 year left at 3.75 so if he's just an Ok fit he's gone after one year clearing the way for Kreider and Company...I'd have to imagine it would only take Wolski and a little extra..you'll get similar point production from them but one plays a skilled game while the other (Umberger) plays a gritty style..

Umberger - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Stepan - Thomas/Zuccarello
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke11y96 View Post
What about R.J Umberger? 1 year left at 3.75 so if he's just an Ok fit he's gone after one year clearing the way for Kreider and Company...I'd have to imagine it would only take Wolski and a little extra..you'll get similar point production from them but one plays a skilled game while the other (Umberger) plays a gritty style..

Umberger - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Stepan - Thomas/Zuccarello
Rupp - Boyle - Prust
Not so sure the organization would want to do that. I mean they traded for his rights from Vancouver. Tried to sign him, and he refused the contract. Became a free agent and signed with the rival Flyers. I mean it was a long time ago and all, but I don't they will go in that direction again with him. Shame though, he's a quality forward.

Old
07-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Why not give WW a shot before jumping the gun and trading just for the sake of trading?

It's probably true the organization is looking for a trade - but that's to remove the glut of forwards, not add more of them.

Packaging Anisimov is stupid, so whoever has that in mind, just get it right out. Moving any of our young core would be dumb at this point, as they've all settled in nicely and that's what a good team does: build within the system. You don't trade them for a tad more talented of a player who is 10 years older just for the potential of 20 more points.

I'm not a WW fan by any means, but he at least deserves the shot of being slotted on the top line and seeing what he can do. If he can't cut it, we have a glut of options with Dubinsky, Stepan, Boyle, etc. There are many things that can be worked out. Wolski has only one year left so it's not really a big deal to move him or not to move him. I'd say the potential of him performing to expectations is worth more than a change by trade that will alter the teams youth or future.

Plus, there's always the deadline if things are getting real sour.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:27 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Why not give WW a shot before jumping the gun and trading just for the sake of trading?

It's probably true the organization is looking for a trade - but that's to remove the glut of forwards, not add more of them.

Packaging Anisimov is stupid, so whoever has that in mind, just get it right out. Moving any of our young core would be dumb at this point, as they've all settled in nicely and that's what a good team does: build within the system. You don't trade them for a tad more talented of a player who is 10 years older just for the potential of 20 more points.

I'm not a WW fan by any means, but he at least deserves the shot of being slotted on the top line and seeing what he can do. If he can't cut it, we have a glut of options with Dubinsky, Stepan, Boyle, etc. There are many things that can be worked out. Wolski has only one year left so it's not really a big deal to move him or not to move him. I'd say the potential of him performing to expectations is worth more than a change by trade that will alter the teams youth or future.

Plus, there's always the deadline if things are getting real sour.
We go with someone other than WW because we already saw what he had and he already had his chance. LW is our one glaring weak spot right now. If we add one top 6 LWer and ditch Wolski, it looks a lot better with good options in Dubinsky, Avery, Boyle, Fedotenko.

I wouldn't in fact be that surprised if those were our LWers and Wolski is moved anyway. I think Avery could recapture his "mojo" on the Richards-Gaborik line.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 08:19 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Nice work…Great list. Let’s play GM for a day. In no particular order here’s my take on the players mentioned and the potential deals I would chase to try and make it happen.

David Booth : Age -28 6’ 212lbs
Cap hit $4,250,000 Signed through 2014/15

Damaged goods means the Panthers will probably let him go relatively cheap. When healthy, he seems to be a true goal scorer who’s dangerous around the net. The skill level is certainly there. The big question of course is the ability to take punishment with all the concussions. The risk factor is high, but that drops his value. Salary needs to go the other way as he has a fairly hefty cap hit. Potential value I’m guessing could be Wolski straight up. Fla would get out of the longer termed contract. Booth has regressed despite getting icetime this past year. His plus/minus was abysmal! Granted he was on the lowly Panthers. I do think Booth is a better player than his statistics showed from last year. Despite the contract which I feel is on the hefty side considering the return if the Rangers could trade him straight up for Wolski I think I would pull the trigger. Definitely not my first choice, and I wouldn’t chase a deal for him, but if it was presented and maybe even sweetened by the Panthers with a pick or prospect then I’d be game.

Ryan Clowe : Age 28 6-2 225lbs
Cap Hit $3,625,000 Signed through 2012/13

Clowe is exactly what I would be looking for to play alongside Richards and Gaborik. He’s a top 6 guy who will give his linemates all kinds of room out there. He is super physical both in the sense that he is a fighter, and an excellent one at that, and a guy that likes to play a heavy forecheck. Over the past two seasons he’s averaged 154Hits. His size though and ferocity is what can wear down defenses over a 7 game series. 32 fights over the past three seasons…he only lost 2 of them! Being he is a skilled guy that can kick ass too, he fits into a new mold of tough guy. A top 6 tough guy, and one that doesn’t hurt you as a liability, but carries a bigger rep especially when playing against opposing clubs top 6…other than Boston not too many clubs have a great counter for a physical top 6. I don’t want to take away from his talent level though. He can play the game. Averaging 21 goals per season, and an average of 178shots.Hes solid in the corners and wins a lot of battles, but is super tough to contain down low. If the Rangers were able to land him, and rolled out a top 6 with him, Dubi and Callahan I don’t think that’s a lineup that too many players are going to want to go up against. There would be no easy games against the Rangers. Add legit top talent like Richards and Gaborik and I’d put that top 6 against any in the league. He is a player that I would absolutely chase, and would actually be one of my number 1 targets if I got to play GM. I’d start the bidding with Derek Stepan(Who is one of my favorite players) MDZ, and a 2012 2nd rounder.

Patrick Sharp : Age 29 6’1 181lbs
Cap Hit : $3,900,000 Signed through 2011/12

OK, so a free agent next season makes Sharp a potential rental this year IF Chicago isn’t a potential playoff team, which I am pretty sure they will be. In any event, Sharp is obviously a tremendous talent. He’s not a physical specimen, but he’s fast, he’s smart, and he’s consistent. Sharp however I think is a natural center which is obviously a position the Rangers are strong at currently. He though would add another veteran presence and he could potentially be a pretty good fit on the Dubi/cally line which brings me to his value. Im thinking it would cost Artem Anisimov plus a 2nd rounder or Michael Del Zotto to get him here. I wouldn’t chase it because I think Anisimov is progressing into a very good young second line center. You get better in the short term, but in the long term you are giving up sOme key pieces. If the team is poised for a run at the deadline I would think long and hard on this one buy wouldn’t chase it.
Great list, kudos on the hard work.

Observations:

"David Booth : Age -28 6’ 212lbs
Cap hit $4,250,000 Signed through 2014/15"

A guy who's a risk, etc.
We got a guy similar numbers: Redden
Would it make sense to offer Redden and a little something something, nothing too crazy, for Booth?
Panthers still stuck w/deadwood probably until next year as a salary dump, with Redden having less value as a player. But they would get the benefit of whatever we'd add.
Is this plausible, and if yes, what do you add?
(What's the minimum that makes this worthwhile for Panthers?)

Clowe: agree he's the ideal fit, but that's a lot to give up.
No longer desperate for D since adding Burns, SJ may still be looking to add.
How about (guess who?) Girardi + X, what would correct value of X have to be?

Sharp: ditto, nice, but AA is too much, IMO
He's the better player, but at end of day it's Coke for Pepsi (7 steps forward, 6 steps backward --- is it worth it?) plus w/AA's reasonable contract, I'm not too quick to move him.
Any other offers.
Can't see an offer they;d take.
I could be wrong but is the weakest link in their chain at G?
Since we're not moving Hank I'm not sure how much that helps us, except that any other G we throw in might reduce the cost..

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
We go with someone other than WW because we already saw what he had and he already had his chance. LW is our one glaring weak spot right now. If we add one top 6 LWer and ditch Wolski, it looks a lot better with good options in Dubinsky, Avery, Boyle, Fedotenko.

I wouldn't in fact be that surprised if those were our LWers and Wolski is moved anyway. I think Avery could recapture his "mojo" on the Richards-Gaborik line.
So you'd rather have the 3-goal Sean Avery who had a shooting percentage of 2.2% on our top line with Marian Gaborik and Brad Richards?

WW at least had 6-13-19 with us in 37 GP, not averaging a lot of TOI. And he scored a decent amount throughout his career.

Look, I'm no WW fan by any means. But not giving him the shot at that top line where he can succeed with two skilled players would be silly. Especially if Sean Avery is put there instead. Avery shouldn't even see ice time for this club this season.

Once again, I don't care if WW is bought out or not. If he is bought out and that cap space is used for some other LW under-30 by trade or not, I'll more than likely be happier. But Avery is definitely not a better candidate should it come down to that.

Old
07-16-2011, 09:44 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
So you'd rather have the 3-goal Sean Avery who had a shooting percentage of 2.2% on our top line with Marian Gaborik and Brad Richards?

WW at least had 6-13-19 with us in 37 GP, not averaging a lot of TOI. And he scored a decent amount throughout his career.

Look, I'm no WW fan by any means. But not giving him the shot at that top line where he can succeed with two skilled players would be silly. Especially if Sean Avery is put there instead. Avery shouldn't even see ice time for this club this season.

Once again, I don't care if WW is bought out or not. If he is bought out and that cap space is used for some other LW under-30 by trade or not, I'll more than likely be happier. But Avery is definitely not a better candidate should it come down to that.
You shouldn't act like Avery isn't possible of being a 15-25 player if he was on that line for the entire year. And I'd rather have a 35-45 point Avery that makes Gaborik and Richards better than a 50-60 point player in Wolski that will most likely bring them down at times.

I'm not advocating for it, but I'll take Avery on top line LW over Wolski. I just have no interest in these hit or miss guys, especially at Wolski's cap hit. If we were in a different system maybe Wolski makes sense, but this team doesn't have room for guys that put forth questionable effort at times and don't play a two-way game. It's not their identity.

Old
07-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
You shouldn't act like Avery isn't possible of being a 15-25 player if he was on that line for the entire year. And I'd rather have a 35-45 point Avery that makes Gaborik and Richards better than a 50-60 point player in Wolski that will most likely bring them down at times.
Avery isn't effective anymore. His antics have vanished. His offensive production isn't enough to warrant him staying around. No way Avery plays 82 games on that line and anyone who plays 82 games on that line could put up 10-15 goals.

You'd rather have Avery put up 40 points on that line supposedly making Richards and Gaborik better instead of WW putting 60 points up and somehow making them worse? How could he make them worse if he scores 20 more points than Avery would (hypothetically throughout 82 games)? Wouldn't that boost Richards and Gaborik point totals as well? You're contradicting yourself.

Even with WW's lazy, inconsistent play, he's still a far better producer than Avery. No contest.

Old
07-16-2011, 10:16 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Avery isn't effective anymore. His antics have vanished. His offensive production isn't enough to warrant him staying around. No way Avery plays 82 games on that line and anyone who plays 82 games on that line could put up 10-15 goals.

You'd rather have Avery put up 40 points on that line supposedly making Richards and Gaborik better instead of WW putting 60 points up and somehow making them worse? How could he make them worse if he scores 20 more points than Avery would (hypothetically throughout 82 games)? Wouldn't that boost Richards and Gaborik point totals as well? You're contradicting yourself.

Even with WW's lazy, inconsistent play, he's still a far better producer than Avery. No contest.
I don't think you understand that Avery's better board play, his style of dump and chase and his ability to grind opens things up a lot more for Gaborik and Richards than Wolski's floating antics. Not at any point did I say Avery was a better point producer.

I don't like cliches, but it isn't all about stats. So no, I'm not contradicting myself. I think Richards and Gaborik can play better and probably get the points together that they may get in assists with Wolski's extra goals if Avery was on the wing. Wolski is walking proof of stats not being everything, because no matter what his stat line has read he's been a fringe NHL player...even in the better years he had. Players like Wolski, Zherdev, etc... they never produce enough offense to cover up all of their other weaknesses.

I don't think Avery just went and got worse, the ability is still there, it just hasn't been clicking for him. He hasn't lost a step in his skating. People don't just lose hands over night. It's a confidence game for a guy like Avery, and putting him on the first line wouldn't be a bad way to break him out of a slump.

That being said, Dubinsky should without a doubt in my mind be the top LWer. I don't know how it's even a debate. It's his spot to lose. If they can't put together a 2nd line that clicks, then and only then do you start moving those 3 guys away from each other. Our four best forwards are Gaborik, Richards, Dubinsky and Callahan. Callahan plays the same position as Gaborik, hence different lines.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:22 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
I was just looking around on NHL.com for some of the top left winger in the NHL and I have come up with a rather long list of who might and might not be available.

Benn-Dallas(Highly doubt they would move him).
Boedker-Phx(talent is there).
Booth-Fla(Not the same player he was-but still a top left winger).
Bourque-Cal(I wish--would cost ALOT).
Cammalleri-Mont(staying put).
Clowe-S.J(again-I wish and would cost ALOT).
Eriksson-Dallas(Highly doubt they would move him either).
Heatley-S.J(Just traded).
Holmstrom-Det(Not available).
Huselius-C.B.J(Injured).
Kane-Wpg(Would cost a boat load).
Kostitsyn-Mont(I would take chance on him).
Kunitz-Pitts(Highly doubt they would move him playing with Crosby).
Ladd-Wpg(Not available).
Lucic-Boston(Maybe)
Malone-T.B(Available--might be a good vet--looking like he's on the downside).
Michalek-Ott(2 years ago I would say yes--Now pass).
Moulson--Isl(miss the boat on him but we got Boyle).
Neal-Pitts(He might play with Crosby if not Kunitz).
Ovechkin-Wash(Not a chance in HELL).
Pacioretty-Mont(Not available).
Parise-N.J-(Maybe after this season if he only signs a 1 year deal).
Penner-L.A(Pass).
Perron-St.L(Pass).
Sedin D-Van(Not available).
Semin-Wash(Available for the right price I would go after him).
Sharp-Chic(Don't believe they would move him).
Vanek-Buff(yeah right Not available)
Wolski-N.Y(already with us).
Zetterberg-Det(Not available).

So when it's all said and done how many top left wingers are available 4-5 maybe so why cut WW.I'm not a big Wolski fan but I don't see us making a hugh trade for 1 of these top left wingers so maybe Wolski turns it around this season playing on the second line if not it going to take alot to aquire a top rated left wing.

Fire away--hopefully I didn't miss anyone.
Alot of players on this list id love to see on NYR...But the one that caught my eye most was Lucic.Id take him in a heart beat.Gotta love a top 6 big nasty hardnosed NA player.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 04:47 PM
beastly115

Anismov + for Hemsky?

As much crap as Sather gets, he's a better GM than most posters here...

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Anismov + for Hemsky?

As much crap as Sather gets, he's a better GM than most posters here...
Hemsky is a good player, and id love to get him to play on that top line LW spot (can he play the left side?)

but no, i wouldnt do AA+ for him. i woudl be looking to move prospects, not a core member of our team.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:34 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Chill.
Out.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:03 PM
wafflepadsave

Would love Clowe or someone with his attributes. A big guy who could create space for the other two skaters. Not to mention he can pass well and play tough. Getting another scoring winger is great if it's a no contact league. After november, play starts tightening up and there is less space to work with.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote