HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All TV/Viewing Questions

Old
07-15-2011, 01:21 PM
diehard

vCash: 500
All TV/Viewing Questions

Sorry to get off topic here, but I am moving to a new apartment soon, and am looking to subscribe to some sort of TV service solely for MSG and Ranger games. I was just curious which services all of you use to view the team, and if any of you know the cheapest option for HD MSG Ranger games.

Thanks

diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Whatever you do, don't get dish network. MSG and them are in a disagreement and therefore dish currently doesn't carry MSG.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

scratch Verizon off your list as well....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:37 PM
diehard

Was n'tverizon supposed to get the HD station? Nothing ever happened with that? What else is there, direct tv and optimum?

diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:38 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

RUN AWAY from Direct TV. Had them for a year, and it was the worst mistake of my life (with the exception of my ex-wife).

In all honesty, Cablevision is your best bet. Had them before I switched to DTV, went back to them. Hate Jim Dolan, love his cable service. Have never had one issue with them, and I've had them in 3 different places I've lived.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:39 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
Was n'tverizon supposed to get the HD station? Nothing ever happened with that? What else is there, direct tv and optimum?
It's called cablevision. As much as we all have a dislike for Dolan, he owns the Rangers, the building, and the network that they play on. If your sole purpose is the Rangers, that's the way to go. I couldn't tell you much about DirecTV though.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:39 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
RUN AWAY from Direct TV. Had them for a year, and it was the worst mistake of my life (with the exception of my ex-wife).

In all honesty, Cablevision is your best bet. Had them before I switched to DTV, went back to them. Hate Jim Dolan, love his cable service. Have never had one issue with them, and I've had them in 3 different places I've lived.
What was so bad about DirecTV? Anything specific pertaining to Rangers games?

Old
07-15-2011, 01:43 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I've had DirecTV and Center Ice for going on 12 years now and I love it....would kill me to go back to cable.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:49 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I've had DirecTV and Center Ice for going on 12 years now and I love it....would kill me to go back to cable.
Well if you're out of market I can understand. I think Tony is tri-state. It might be a little different. We don't need Center Ice, and those MSG channels are on different tiers usually.

I just don't know what made it so horrible for him.

Old
07-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

directv goes out when the weathers bad. huge negative for them. but, as i live out of state, i have limited options.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:02 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Not the Rangers specifically. But the battle with Versus pissed me off, my receiver and remote sucked, and the weather would make it go out. Also, I only had one receiver and was spliced in, in another room. So whatever was on in the living room had to be on in the bedroom. Just was not a good experience for me. It was part of a package deal with Verizon, and the internet was DSL..which was AWFUL!!

Quote:
Haha..to each their own, I guess. Just not for me.

Quote:
Well if you're out of market I can understand. I think Tony is tri-state. It might be a little different. We don't need Center Ice, and those MSG channels are on different tiers usually.

I just don't know what made it so horrible for him.
I am tri-state. Had nothing to do with the Rangers games directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
directv goes out when the weathers bad. huge negative for them. but, as i live out of state, i have limited options.
This.

Old
07-15-2011, 02:24 PM
slipknottin

I dont understand how you blame DirecTV for you deciding to only pay for one box...

Same issue with any cable company. Cant get HD unless you pay for a box per every HD TV.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Not the Rangers specifically. But the battle with Versus pissed me off, my receiver and remote sucked, and the weather would make it go out. Also, I only had one receiver and was spliced in, in another room. So whatever was on in the living room had to be on in the bedroom. Just was not a good experience for me. It was part of a package deal with Verizon, and the internet was DSL..which was AWFUL!!

Haha..to each their own, I guess. Just not for me.

I am tri-state. Had nothing to do with the Rangers games directly.

This.
Guess it all depends...I've rarely had an outage that lasted more than a minute or two and that's only in extremely bad weather, I live in New Hampshire and we've had some really bad winters. I did check out a Satellite forum before getting my Dish and your experience is directly related to the quality of the installer...if they put the dish in a bad spot you'll lose signal with the slightest amount of bad weather. I have 2 HD boxes one with a DVR and have had no issues...but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:28 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I dont understand how you blame DirecTV for you deciding to only pay for one box...

Same issue with any cable company. Cant get HD unless you pay for a box per every HD TV.
Did I say I was blaming them for that? My problems with them were the service crapping out in bad weather, the receiver and the remotes sucking (and yes, I DID get them changed), and the battle with Versus. I couldn't afford more then one box at one time, that's why I went with that. But, with regular cable if you are spliced into the main box, you're not stuck with the same channel that's on in the other room!

Old
07-15-2011, 02:35 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Guess it all depends...I've rarely had an outage that lasted more than a minute or two and that's only in extremely bad weather, I live in New Hampshire and we've had some really bad winters. I did check out a Satellite forum before getting my Dish and your experience is directly related to the quality of the installer...if they put the dish in a bad spot you'll lose signal with the slightest amount of bad weather. I have 2 HD boxes one with a DVR and have had no issues...but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Yeah, this is true. Thing that probably didn't help me was the fact that I'm in an apartment complex, and we were not allowed to put the dish on the roof. So the installer literally had to attach it to a pole that he had to go to Home Depot for, and then literally had to "jimmy rig" it to the railing on my balcony. And my buddy who works for Direct TV, came over after the fact, inspected it, re-enforced it with a bunch of clamps and screws and spliced it into my bedroom. A few people I know have Direct TV, including my brother, and they have no issues. So maybe I'm still a little bitter.

Old
07-15-2011, 02:42 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Did I say I was blaming them for that?
You included it in the reasons that it wasen't a good experience.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:46 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
You included it in the reasons that it wasen't a good experience.
Lol..yes, I did. And I stand by that statement. The 1 box and having to splice was my choice. But it added to an already bad experience.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who have DTV, and love it. Just like I'm sure there's plenty who have bad experience with Cablevision. I am not one of them.

Old
07-15-2011, 02:50 PM
NYRangers16

Loving Fios right now cept for standard def. Ranger games.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Loving Fios right now cept for standard def. Ranger games.
Same.... I use my DVR religiously, and was able to download the FiOS Blackberry App, so I can manage my DVR remotely from my phone... It's a huge plus for me because my roommate has the only DVR box in our house, and he lives in the first floor apartment of our house (I live upstairs).

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Depends where you live. In some areas it's your cable co. Lots of co-ops won't allow DTV.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Make a list of people you know that are Ranger fans. List of bars that carry the Ranger games. Create a free google account if you don't have one already. Import the Ranger schedule and then schedule yourself to be at a different one of the locations for each Ranger game. Preferably at a family or friend's house, bar as a last resort, you tend to spend money there. Rotate as necessary so it doesn't become too obvious that you're just using them to see the Ranger games vs spending time with them. Offer to house sit, etc. This is of great benefit.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

iO/Optimum/Cablevision

Triple Play!

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:06 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
iO/Optimum/Cablevision

Triple Play!
8 7 7

3 9 3

888888!!!!

Old
07-15-2011, 04:22 PM
John Torturella

Best thing we ever did was ditch cable for Directv. Cablevision is a joke. Have no problems with DTV at all. DVR receivers can be slow at times, but not as slow as cablevision. Only lose satellite when you get a blizzard or a severe thunderstorm, which is pretty rare.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:16 PM
gotmonte

cablevision triple play.

I am programmed now to look at my tv every time my phone rings lol

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote