HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #17

View Poll Results: Who is the #17 Rangers prospect?
Jason Wilson 1 1.35%
Mikhail Pashnin 22 29.73%
Michael St. Croix 28 37.84%
Dale Weise 21 28.38%
Cameron Talbot 0 0%
Blake Parlett 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers Prospect Poll: #17

High risk, high reward prospect Shane McColgan made it onto our list in round 16. Cameron Talbot became the first goalie to make our voting list.

Don't forget to write-in who should be added in the next round. Also would be good to include a discussion/argument on why you voted for a particular prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. D Ryan McDonagh
3. D Tim Erixon
4. RW Christian Thomas
5. D Dylan McIlrath
6. LW Mats Zuccarello
7. LW J.T. Miller
8. LW Carl Hagelin
9. RW Jesper Fasth
10. D Pavel Valentenko

SECOND-TIER PROSPECTS

11. C Oscar Lindberg
12. D Tomas Kundratek
13. LW Ryan Bourque
14. C Andrew Yogan
15. C Steven Fogarty
16. RW Shane McColgan

Shane McColgan
Right Wing
Born Jan 1 1993 -- Manhattan Beach, CA
Height 5.11 -- Weight 170 -- Shoots R

2010-11 Kelowna Rockets WHL 67 21 45 66 62

"McColgan sees the ice well, has great hands, and definitely isnít afraid to go to the dirty areas. The big question on everyoneís mind is whether or not he will be able to play his style at the pro level. The 5-9 McColgan hasnít let his size hold him back yet, as he has proven a willingness to battle with any player in the WHL while generally staying healthy. If he can get his game to the next level, he could be a big draft day steal."
- TheScoutingReport.org

"Plays fearlessly as a Kelowna Rocket with a great speed/skill ratio puck and does so at top end speed, maybe faster than anyone in this draft class. Has a nice snap shot, and passes well, but what sets him apart is the quick first step and the gears. Not big, and needs heaps of weight-room strength. Never the less, he brings all he does have in the attack zone."
- Bill Placzek

Old
07-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

LW JASON WILSON

Tough, banging winger projected to play on the bottom two lines as a physical player who can hopefully add some offense.

"Wilson is going to surprise some people. He can really play.”
-Gordie Clark

D MIKHAIL PASHNIN

Hard-hitting defenseman with an all-around game. Similar in style to Scott Stevens, though obviously nowhere near as talented. However, he is on the first pairing defenseman in the KHL at the age of 21.

"Pashnin is a warrior, who goes all out in games and does everything it takes to win. He is a good influence on his teammates, because he has great character and is a solid, hard-working player... He acclimated very well on the Red Army team and to the big city. Since playing at the KHL level, he has really improved his intensity and quickness. His body-checking has become harder and he plays a stronger physical game. He is a very hard player to play against and he plays with a lot of confidence."
- Vladimir Lutchenko, the Rangers' Russian scout.

"He plays like a North American. I loved what I saw from him in the 2008 Canada-Russia Challenge series. The Canadian players came after the Russians, and this guy just gave it right back to them. He's just a real warrior."
- Gordie Clark in 2010.

"The KHL arenas have wider ice, and there's very little hitting, but Pashnin's game is a North American game, and that's why he stood out at Development Camp last year. The way he plays is very North American. Defenseman Mikhail Pashnin, the Rangers' seventh-round pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, celebrates the MHL championship he won with Red Army 2, the top affiliate of CSKA Moscow on April 22, just a few weeks before he turned 22 years old... He came here and he opened a lot of eyes"
- Gordie Clark in 2011.

C MICHAEL ST. CROIX

A talented small guy who is high risk, high reward, exactly the kind of player I have been advocating that we draft.

"His statistics and achievements speak for themselves, but the essence to St. Croix’s unique game is his style of play. A playmaker and goal-scorer, he believes a big part of his game involves his vision, which contributes to his impressive offensive abilities. St. Croix is able to set up plays and get passes through the narrowest of lanes, but most importantly he positions himself perfectly to finish the play. At the same time, his vision grants him the confidence to get fancy with the puck and put on a show."
- The Hockey News

RW DALE WEISE

Tied for AHL lead in shorthanded goals, energy player who has been compared to Callahan by the Rangers.

"He's very underrated as a goal-scorer, so I would have expected close to 20 in his first year, and I'm not at all surprised he got this many (28) in his second year. I think this is a big off-season for him in getting himself prepared to take a run at a position on the Rangers. He had a great year for us in Hartford... He's got a combination of size and skating. The thing we licked about him in juniors was his penchant for finishing checks. He still does and can pop anybody. He plays an all-around game and plays in all positions."
- Gordie Clark.

"I do have some skill, too. I'm not a guy that just fights and mucks. I think I can score, and eventually someday, I can probably score 20 goals in the NHL."
- Dale Weise.

G CAMERON TALBOT

Goalie with good size on a weak team. Did for his college team what Lundqvist did in his early days: keep a bad team in the game, giving them a chance. Dominated at every level he played at, though he was always in rather weak places (OPJHL, College Hockey America). Almost defeated the top ranked Miami-Ohio while backstopping the very weak UofA team.

"He has size and the athleticism we like, and he was able to keep a very weak team competitive... I told our scout I expected them to get spanked in the game, but they won," said Clark. "They won it and got to go to the NCAA tournament, so I sent another couple guys in to watch him. They got beat in that second game, but in both games, they were in it... Benoit (Allaire) really likes him."
- Gordie Clark

D BLAKE PARLETT

Offensive defenseman with good size. ECHL All-Star in 2011.

“A good defenseman has to be able to move the puck, whether it’s in transition, regrouping, breaking out or making plays under pressure. He does all those things, and those are often skills that I try to polish in young defensemen who come here. If you have a kid who shows up and has that element in his game, it’s a good plus.”
- Whale Assistant Coach J.J.Daigneault.

“I like the way he moves the puck, and he’s a strong skater, so that’s always helpful when you’re defending and can close the gap and take away time and space. He’s really poised with the puck; he doesn’t just throw it away, which is part of being a good player. And he makes plays that make a difference in the course of a game."
- Whale Coach Ken Gernander.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Went with Michael St. Croix because he has easily the highest potential of any prospect still up there. Nobody else that's left over has top-6F or top-4D potential.

Add Sam Noreau. He was just picked in the 5th round. I don't see anyone who's worth more than that who's not already in the poll.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
St. Croix.

EDIT: Add Thuresson.

It's just pain.
Old
07-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

It's a bit odd that McColgan is higher than St. Croix since St. Croix was taken first, no?

Old
07-15-2011, 03:53 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

St. Croix

add Stajcer again

Old
07-15-2011, 03:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Guys left to potentially be added:

Lee Baldwin, D
Greg Beller, LW
Stu Bickel, D
Max Campbell, C
Peter Ceresnak, D
Chris Chappell, LW
Tysen Dowzak, D
Tommy Grant, LW
Danny Hobbs, C
Eric Hunter, LW
Sam Klassen, D
Chad Kolarik, RW
David Kveton, RW
Matt McCue, LW
Randy McNaught, RW
Jason Missiaen, G
Jyri Niemi, D
Samuel Noreau, D
Roman Psurny, LW
David Skokan, C
Scott Stajcer, G
Andreas Thuresson, RW
Lukas Zeliska, C

In bold are the only guys that I would want added.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Went with St. Croix, kid has great upside and i think 16 and 17 could go either way. Great thing is that they are both NYR prospects.

Add Noreau

Old
07-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCenafearsTheRock View Post
It's a bit odd that McColgan is higher than St. Croix since St. Croix was taken first, no?

It is... people just got a bit excited reading that he was projected as a first rounder a year ago. Never mind that there are a whole bunch of prospects who have the same thing said about them. On the other hand, he did put up a ridiculous performance in the playoffs with 19 points in 10 games in the best defensive junior league. Very impressive.

That said, look for St. Croix to easily take this round. A large majority of the McColgan vote should go to St. Croix.

The next round will be close, as Pashnin fights Weise for a spot.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think Thuresson is a good add now. Honestly, I had forgotten about him. He's just a bottom six guy, but he's there right now and has already played NHL games--something the guys we're now adding likely will never do.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:58 PM
freewheeler

This getting outrageous with Weiss. Add Audy-Marchessault.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
AHL contract. Not our property. Can't be added.

Old
07-15-2011, 04:00 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

err... add Ceresnak i guess

Old
07-15-2011, 04:07 PM
NYRSchrute217

Weise, add Thuresson

Old
07-15-2011, 04:08 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
AHL contract. Not our property. Can't be added.
Ahhh, I figured something was up. Add Thuresson.

Old
07-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

St. Croix, add Thuresson.

Ceresnak soon to be up.

07-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
This getting outrageous with Weiss.

It's surprising how many people were disappointed with his NHL performance considering he made no major mistakes when he played in the NHL, and was close to scoring on a couple of occasions.

For someone a hair away from cracking the NHL, he's getting surprisingly little love. Except from Gordie Clark.

Old
07-15-2011, 04:30 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
St. Croix, add Thuresson.

Ceresnak soon to be up.
Torn between Noreau and Ceresnak for my next add.

Old
07-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
It's surprising how many people were disappointed with his NHL performance considering he made no major mistakes when he played in the NHL, and was close to scoring on a couple of occasions.

For someone a hair away from cracking the NHL, he's getting surprisingly little love. Except from Gordie Clark.
i just dont see what you saw. frankly i didnt see much difference between him and Brodie Dupont out there. both didnt do anything of condequence. i think i remember Weise nearly scoring a goal once, but thats about it.

Old
07-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Pashnin. Add Audy-Marchessault

Old
07-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

If Pashnin beats out St. Croix, my head will explode.

Old
07-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i just dont see what you saw. frankly i didnt see much difference between him and Brodie Dupont out there. both didnt do anything of condequence. i think i remember Weise nearly scoring a goal once, but thats about it.

Brodie Dupont played 50% more games than Weise in Hartford, yet scored 4 fewer goals. Weise is also 1.5 years younger. Dupont to me is like Gernander: a very good AHLer who is just a hair below. If Weise stops improving, it will be true for him also, but considering that he's only 22 years old, there's hope for improvement.

Players will normally improve to about the age of 24-25 or so. Dupont is there already and probably won't be improving much more. Weise still has hope to take that extra step forward. And even as we speak, Weise is a better forward.

To me, Weise is AHL's Adam Graves whereas Dupont is the AHL's Brian Noonan. If Weise goes a step further, he becomes a full time bottom-6 NHL forward.

Old
07-15-2011, 04:52 PM
mti79

Quote:
Yeah.. I agree. Weiss voted for. Add Baldwin...

Old
07-15-2011, 04:59 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Yeah.. I agree. Weiss voted for. Add Baldwin...
It's all for fun, but between the lack of love for Boyle and Weiss, I am going to enjoy watching their ascent. I just watched a few Boyle highlights. Even I've forgotten how convincing some of his goals were. Top-shelf short side while in-stride, rocket-wrister low blocker - he scores too many real goals for me to not believe he can stay in the 15 range for a few years. But I digress...

Old
07-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 780
St. Croix. Add Noreau

Closed Thread