HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colin Wilson's Development

Old
07-15-2011, 12:02 AM
predfan24

vCash: 500
Colin Wilson's Development

At this point Wilson's skating is what it is. His top end speed with the puck is pretty good but his acceleration is average. He can still be a very good player he's just got to simplify his game and stop trying to do so much by himself.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
At this point Wilson's skating is what it is. His top end speed with the puck is pretty good but his acceleration is average. He can still be a very good player he's just got to simplify his game and stop trying to do so much by himself.
yes, Yes, YES!!! Agreed 110%!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:14 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
So true. You can tell he thinks to much at times, he just needs to play the kind of game that we saw when we traded up to draft him. Almost every game that Wilson scored in, I always remember him playing great afterwards. He always seemed to be a lot more confident and played a more simplified team game. The LA game sticks out most to me, when he had 3 pts. Hes also just 21 and 16g 18a isnt to bad with limited ice time for that age. If he matures a tad and simplifies his on ice performance then I dont see any problems with his game.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:31 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm less concerned about Smith's skating as compared to Wilson's as I am about the head on Wilson's shoulders.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I'm less concerned about Smith's skating as compared to Wilson's as I am about the head on Wilson's shoulders.
no **** ... reading some of his tweets when the Bruins won the Cup made me shake my head

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I am pretty worried about that too. I have been for a while. I wouldn't mind moving wilson for the right player. Everyone knows my feelings on Ellis but I am actually more concerned about wilson reaching his potential here (something I really question) and his trade value. If we could package wilson with something for a legit top 3 forward (of any position) I would do it in a heartbeat.

I don't want another scotty hartnell situation where a blooming powerforward is in Trotz's penalty box all year. The fact that Wilson was pretty much benched all playoffs says something about his attitude or at the very least Trotz's attitude toward Wilson. Either way it spells trouble and a high possibility of a fine asset squandered... which is something the Preds can't afford.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:36 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
no **** ... reading some of his tweets when the Bruins won the Cup made me shake my head
I missed those. Would you mind filling me in? (feel free to PM if necessary. I looked for his twitter page, but it apparently no longer exists)

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I missed those. Would you mind filling me in? (feel free to PM if necessary. I looked for his twitter page, but it apparently no longer exists)
It was deleted some time in the past week.

The tweet that really riled me the wrong way was (paraphrasing):

"Of course the Bruins victory parade is running right past my place today! #waytorubitinguys"

My response was something along the lines of:

"See I'd look at it differently, to me that'd be #extrememotivation"

My gut tells me that the blog that ran an article earlier this week regarding what we can learn from Colin's tweets scared him off Twitter, but who knows...

http://predsftw.blogspot.com/2011/07...s-twitter.html

Last edited by Seth Lake: 07-15-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Link added
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:32 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Are you guys serious? I'm guessing tweet reading is about as exact a science as palm reading.

And you realize he's a complex human being capable of multiple emotions, right? He could easily feel that they were rubbing it in and be motivated by it all.

I always hate observational analysis that isn't supported by stats, but you guys are taking it to the extreme here. I feel like I'm being punked by someone who knows my biggest pet peeve in sports.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Are you guys serious? I'm guessing tweet reading is about as exact a science as palm reading.

And you realize he's a complex human being capable of multiple emotions, right? He could easily feel that they were rubbing it in and be motivated by it all.

I always hate observational analysis that isn't supported by stats, but you guys are taking it to the extreme here. I feel like I'm being punked by someone who knows my biggest pet peeve in sports.
I don't think anyone was "concerned" about that one tweet, it was more about his overall immaturity. #TimetoGrowUp

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:57 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
I don't think anyone was "concerned" about that one tweet, it was more about his overall immaturity. #TimetoGrowUp
So it was the body of tweets that is the concern? I'm more concerned that his game hasn't taken the step the Preds had hoped and that he was benched for the playoffs. I don't see how you can read anything into his tweets other than he is part of the new generation of athletes that likes to tweet. His tweets don't seem any different than many of America's greatest athletes, just mundane information and opinions that I'm stunned people actually care about.

I think people are taking their already formed opinions about him and then looking at those tweets through that prism. It's how people view Lebron James. You already think he doesn't show up in big moments based on past failures. Then you see him fidgeting on the bench or biting his nails and you say, "he's clearly scared of the moment." If a beloved "winner" like Jeter were to make similar tweets, we'd say "look how fun loving this guys is. He's such a down to earth, fun person."

Old
07-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
So it was the body of tweets that is the concern? I'm more concerned that his game hasn't taken the step the Preds had hoped and that he was benched for the playoffs. I don't see how you can read anything into his tweets other than he is part of the new generation of athletes that likes to tweet. His tweets don't seem any different than many of America's greatest athletes, just mundane information and opinions that I'm stunned people actually care about.

I think people are taking their already formed opinions about him and then looking at those tweets through that prism. It's how people view Lebron James. You already think he doesn't show up in big moments based on past failures. Then you see him fidgeting on the bench or biting his nails and you say, "he's clearly scared of the moment." If a beloved "winner" like Jeter were to make similar tweets, we'd say "look how fun loving this guys is. He's such a down to earth, fun person."
Of course it ultimately comes down to his play on the ice..people are surmising that the lack of maturity may be somehow connected with his play not taking the next step as we all hoped it would, see how that works?

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:29 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
Of course it ultimately comes down to his play on the ice..people are surmising that the lack of maturity may be somehow connected with his play not taking the next step as we all hoped it would, see how that works?
Yes, people are interpretting tweets as immaturity, which was my initial annoyance. I think people see his lack of defensive awareness and being benched during the playoffs as immaturity and projecting that prejudice upon his tweets. If he scored 25g, 40a last year and backchecked, these tweets wouldn't be viewed as immaturity.

I just don't see how you can legitimately derive that from his tweets (other than to say the use of twitter is inherently immature), which seem like the normal twitter drivel from celebrities and athletes. To me, this exercise is nearly as useless and unenlightened as reading his palm to determine his maturity.

Old
07-15-2011, 01:34 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm pretty sure the opinion of his immaturity can merely be reinforced by his twitter page. Personally, I thought his play and attitude showed his immaturity well before I saw any of his tweets (considering I just now saw them). To me, though, it just reinforces the idea I had of the guy's personality. Sure he might just be "fun loving" and "down to Earth". As I said earlier, he strikes me as the type of guy who could do no wrong growing up. He was probably told by his friends and admirers that he was some witty, hilarious, smart guy, and he just assumed that was true. Regurgitating tired jokes, poor punctuation (and I'm not even much of a stickler for grammar), hash tagging "way to rub it in" on a tweet about a Stanley Cup parade... those things obviously can't clue anyone in on his play, whether or not he will progress, and what type of person he really is. It can certainly add a bit more substance to an opinion.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
The fact that Wilson was pretty much benched all playoffs says something about his attitude or at the very least Trotz's attitude toward Wilson. Either way it spells trouble and a high possibility of a fine asset squandered... which is something the Preds can't afford.
Didn't the same thing happen to Suter?? I think Horachek had to pay him a visit in the offseason to clear the air. I'm hoping Wilson will turn it around.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:11 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Same happened with a lot of players. Im not panicking now, its growing pains. People forget he had the 2nd best shooting % on the team last year and had 34 pts in limited ice time. As a 20/21 yr old

Old
07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
hatedandproud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Didn't the same thing happen to Suter?? I think Horachek had to pay him a visit in the offseason to clear the air. I'm hoping Wilson will turn it around.
Yup. It did. Can't remember who exactly visited him, but one of the coaches did. And I'm not sure if clear the air is the right term, from what I understand it was more to re-assure him with a little ego stroking thrown in. But I'm sure it spells trouble either way

I'm hoping that Mr. Smith here turns out to be our Jeff Skinner, Micheal Grabner, "holy cow look what we found" type guy.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:41 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm pretty sure the opinion of his immaturity can merely be reinforced by his twitter page. Personally, I thought his play and attitude showed his immaturity well before I saw any of his tweets (considering I just now saw them). To me, though, it just reinforces the idea I had of the guy's personality. Sure he might just be "fun loving" and "down to Earth". As I said earlier, he strikes me as the type of guy who could do no wrong growing up. He was probably told by his friends and admirers that he was some witty, hilarious, smart guy, and he just assumed that was true. Regurgitating tired jokes, poor punctuation (and I'm not even much of a stickler for grammar), hash tagging "way to rub it in" on a tweet about a Stanley Cup parade... those things obviously can't clue anyone in on his play, whether or not he will progress, and what type of person he really is. It can certainly add a bit more substance to an opinion.
Like I said, you felt he was immature, and you are jaded as you read those tweets, which was my entire point. The tweets are not, in and of themselves, "immature" any moreso than the use of Twitter is immature.

For example, Jay Bilas, who is incredibly intelligent and seemingly quite mature, often tweets out very similar things, such as a song that he likes, people's pictures that he thinks are funny, random observations and mocking/teasing people. Unfortunately, Twitter begs immaturity by its very nature.

What you and others on here have done is form an opinion based on on ice play (I don't disagree with this opinion) and then you view everything you see from him as reinforcers of this opinion(when there's plenty of similar tweets posted by people that we heretofore considered mature) and you specifically have created a negative psychoanalytical profile of him based on that. I'm just not as comfortable making the inferences that are being tossed about.

Btw, I contend that it is the essence of maturity to argue about Tweets.

Old
07-15-2011, 05:56 PM
OpenWheel

I didn't see anything in his tweets that showed lack of maturity. I just saw someone having some fun. FUN?! No! And the guy makes a simple joke about the Boston parade "rubbing it in". The same joke any person has heard between people dozens of times in their life when someone brings up something they won, maybe that sombody else didn't. It's a joke, a common saying that almost never actually means someone felt abused. It likely has zero to do with motivation or lack of motivation. Yet someone brings it up on forums and says it bothered them he would say that. No wonder he stopped tweeting.

I'll tell you though, there are a few things that have bothered me a bit, lol. One was the interview where he talked last season (I think it was in December) about he and Kostitsyn having a thing going where after games they'd joke about the lack of ice time in the game. Wilson talked about putting notes in shoes about it, he seemed to thnk it was some sort of way to keep their spirits up and support each other. Seriously? You don't DO that! Even just joking around, you don't imply the reason you got ice time or lack of it was merely some coaching vagary. That breeds whiney atittudes. Mature players view lack of playing time as being about what they are able to produce, not just some random coaching decision. But maybe I just viewed what he said wrong, and he has always been very self-motivated.

He's still going to be a stud player in the long run...

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-15-2011 at 06:16 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:00 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Wow i just noticed he stopped tweeting. NOoooo

Old
07-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Some of you people are unbelievable. I think many of you need to take a step back and realize that at 20-21 years old, you were not the wise sages you proclaim yourself to be via online message boards. Using a hash tag of #rubbingitin or whatever nonsense it was to brand someone as immature and therefore a poor character bust seems at best, hypocritical to me. We were all immature to varying degrees at that age. Heck, physiologically the frontal lobe isn't even the dominant part of the brain for decision making until around the age of 25 .....

Wilson has some growing up to do ON THE ICE, specifically in realizing that he doesn't have to do everything himself/has to be better defensively. I will agree with that line of thinking. However, the other commentary, that of him being immature based on a few tweets regarding the Boston Bruins celebration parade and/or potential grammatical mistakes, I cannot agree with. I think some around here need a mirror to stare in.

07-15-2011, 06:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Exactly. The bashing of Wilson on this board is mind blowing.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:06 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Truly is a lil over dramatic.

Old
07-15-2011, 08:18 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Pfft. That's immature? Take a look at my Facebook status updates during an election year.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:13 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Yes, a bit rediculous. Suter was benched at one time. Hell Tyler Seguin was benched for a good bit during the Bruins playoff fun this year. They said it had nothing to do with him doing bad neccessarily, just a learning point.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote