HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Forsberg or Neely?

View Poll Results: Neely or Forsberg?
Neely 17 15.74%
Forsberg 91 84.26%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4ndy View Post
I'll help him. Not an embarassment but disrespectful towards the game at times.

That being said, I'm a B's fan and I say Forsberg. We can talk all we want about Forsberg being on those Avs teams, but Neely had Oates. Oates is the most underrated player to be in the league in the past twenty years.

AND, I will say this and I might catch some flack, Oates was a better setup man than Sakic. Sakic was the better player, but Oates was the better passer
I'm not even going to touch the argument of Neely vs Forsberg. I'm just going to say that, had Forsberg played in the league today, he would be lighting it on fire. Usually, the goal of the defensive pairing against Forsberg was to limit Forsberg, he literally had players on him with or without the puck the whole time. Look at Forsberg's international record (where that kind of play is more or less outlawed) to see what Forsberg could do to take over games.

And Sakic was an incredible passer...

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Forsberg and it's not even you know the rest...

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Vision View Post
Forsberg was at minimum a top 5 player in the game, any given year of his career, especially when healthy. At his peak he was the best player in the league. Still don't understand how people think Forsberg is the most overrated player ever, when some people still think Neely was better, and lots of posters only think he was, just a top 5 player in the game at his peak.
I think it's comments like this that cause people to think he's overrated. He wasn't a top 5 player in his rookie year or after the lockout. At his best he was the best player in the game and throughout his prime if someone asked for the best player in the game, most people would say either him or Jagr (with maybe a couple Sakics), but even when healthy he wasn't necessarily the best player every year, but, as JFF said, would fall somewhere in the top 5.

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgeduck View Post
I'm not even going to touch the argument of Neely vs Forsberg. I'm just going to say that, had Forsberg played in the league today, he would be lighting it on fire. Usually, the goal of the defensive pairing against Forsberg was to limit Forsberg, he literally had players on him with or without the puck the whole time. Look at Forsberg's international record (where that kind of play is more or less outlawed) to see what Forsberg could do to take over games.

And Sakic was an incredible passer...

When did I say he wasnt? All I said was Oates was a better setup man

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:46 PM
seventieslord

Forsberg.... AINEC

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
I think it's comments like this that cause people to think he's overrated. He wasn't a top 5 player in his rookie year or after the lockout. At his best he was the best player in the game and throughout his prime if someone asked for the best player in the game, most people would say either him or Jagr (with maybe a couple Sakics), but even when healthy he wasn't necessarily the best player every year, but, as JFF said, would fall somewhere in the top 5.
Well, other than his rookie year I guess. He said top 5 player minimum at his peak, and that is really selling him short. The year immediately after the lockout I'd say he was better than all except Jagr, Thornton, Crosby and Ovechkin. So still top 5, on one leg no less.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:46 AM
plusandminus

Forsberg's NHL career basically lasted from 1995-2004 (then his foot problems became much worse).

Forsberg in regular season during 1995-2004:
Category Total Per game
+/- 1st 1st
Points 3rd (beh Mario and Jagr
Goals
Assists ? 1st (if I remember correctly)

Forsberg in playoffs during 1995-2004:
Category Total Per game
+/- 1st 1st
Points 2nd 3rd (slightly behind Jagr and Mario)
Goals 2nd (beh Sakic) 5th
Assists 1st 2nd (Mario .732, Forsb .729)
Notice how he, when it mattered most, even was a good scorer - for example having 5th most goals per game of all players. Not bad for an assist guy who is 4th(?) alltime in assists per game.

Plus other stuff like Hart, Art Ross, "another Art Ross if counting PPG", 2 times playoff scoring winner, two Olympic gold medals (game winner + 2nd assist winner), etc..

I haven't taken side yet though, as I'd first like to look a bit more into Neely. It is good to have a great powerful goal scorer to build around. Best of all would be to have both a great center and a great goal scorer. And perhaps it would be better to take Neely, and try to find him a good center, than taking Forsberg and try to find him a good winger. But my guess is I would prefer Forsberg.

plusandminus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Well this thread certainly proves that the last idiot is still yet to be born.

With all due respect to Cam Neely, you would have to be all kinds of crazy to rate him higher than Forsberg. It's not even close.
Better offensively? Forsberg
Better defensively? Forsberg
More elite seasons? Forsberg
Better playmaker? Forsberg
Better goal scorer? Neely
More physical? Neely
Most awards? Forsberg
Top 10 scoring finishes? Forsberg
Better in the playoffs? Forsberg

I doubt Mr. Neely himself would vote for himself.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

I thought it would be a little closer. I still take Forsberg myself but I did not expect this many "AINEC" comments!

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Just curious.. Those choosing Forsberg as better than Neely. Have you actually SEEN Neely play? Neely always played a hard game...he hit as hard as he scored. He didn't need protection. Wonderful to watch. Forsberg is good too...but their styles are very different.

I'd be happy with either..but a healthy Neely is better than a healthy Forsberg.
I'm a Bruins fan that saw Neely for his entire career.

Forsberg wasn't good, he was great. No way Neely was as good as Forsberg.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Crosbyfan

The one that belongs in the HOF

This is not a nice comparison for Neely as Forsberg excelled at pretty much everything Neely did not.

Neely was a better goalscorer, fighter, and harder to move when stationary. That's about it.

Last edited by Crosbyfan: 07-05-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Zil

Quote:
AND, I will say this and I might catch some flack, Oates was a better setup man than Sakic. Sakic was the better player, but Oates was the better passer
I'm not sure how that's controversial. Oates had 1079 assists in 1420 games (.76 per game) and Sakic had 1016 assists in 1641 games (.62 per game). I'd take Sakic over Oates any day of the week, but Oates was the best playmaker of his era aside from Gretzky and Lemieux.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 10:24 PM
nowhereman

Cam Neely was capable of putting up a goal-a-game, on one knee, and possessed the kind of physical game that had defensemen shaking in their skates. All this "Forsberg AINEC" talk has me wondering whether many posters had even seen Neely play. It's a lot closer than you'd think. Neely may never have been the best player in the world but that's because he played in an era dominated by the two best offensive players of all time.

In his peak, Cam Neely scored at a 120+ point pace with myositis ossificans in his knee. He was like Steve Stamkos in Milan Lucic's body.

As for who had the better career, it's definitely Forsberg.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Cam Neely was capable of putting up a goal-a-game, on one knee, and possessed the kind of physical game that had defensemen shaking in their skates. All this "Forsberg AINEC" talk has me wondering whether many posters had even seen Neely play. It's a lot closer than you'd think. Neely may never have been the best player in the world but that's because he played in an era dominated by the two best offensive players of all time.

In his peak, Cam Neely scored at a 120+ point pace with myositis ossificans in his knee. He was like Steve Stamkos in Milan Lucic's body.

As for who had the better career, it's definitely Forsberg.
To be fair, if you swap Neely's era for Forsberg's era the results are the same. Neely would be closer to a Shanahan-type in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Forsberg would have been a much better player than Neely in the early 1990s.

And Gretzky and Lemieux didn't prevent Neely from winning any awards. Take them out of the equation and you still have Messier, Yzerman etc. As much as people might be shocked to know, Neely was never a top 10 scorer in the NHL

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
To be fair, if you swap Neely's era for Forsberg's era the results are the same. Neely would be closer to a Shanahan-type in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Forsberg would have been a much better player than Neely in the early 1990s.

And Gretzky and Lemieux didn't prevent Neely from winning any awards. Take them out of the equation and you still have Messier, Yzerman etc. As much as people might be shocked to know, Neely was never a top 10 scorer in the NHL
Statistically speaking, there really isn't much that separates Neely from Bondra.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

vCash: 50
This is nonsense.

I am Cam's biggest fan and backer here....I think that is safe to say.

Forsberg, by a lot. A real lot.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Crosbyfan

Next up: Gretzky or Lemieux...

...Claude Lemieux

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Shadyone33

Quote:
I'll help him. Not an embarassment but disrespectful towards the game at times.

That being said, I'm a B's fan and I say Forsberg. We can talk all we want about Forsberg being on those Avs teams, but Neely had Oates. Oates is the most underrated player to be in the league in the past twenty years.

I agree with everything. Oates was a better passer than Joe was and is by no means a put down.

Also, Forsberg was quite the physical player. This is just one of many clips I found on Youtube of him being physical...

Oh, and also...Forsberg a million times over.

EDIT:

Wow.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:09 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Yup.

And I really like Cam Neely and firmly believe Forsberg is the most overrated player on hfboards.

And still.. yup.
This.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:11 PM
skinmez

Quote:
Just curious.. Those choosing Forsberg as better than Neely. Have you actually SEEN Neely play? Neely always played a hard game...he hit as hard as he scored. He didn't need protection. Wonderful to watch. Forsberg is good too...but their styles are very different.

I'd be happy with either..but a healthy Neely is better than a healthy Forsberg.
Yep i've seen them both and Forsberg is better by miles. You use arguments that Neely always played hard and hit hard and thats why he was better than Forsberg. Well Forsberg did those things to AND was getting more points than Neely so thats why i say Forsberg.

skinmez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:04 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:

have you seen Forsberg play? Forsberg could go around you just as easily as he could go through you. Forsberg initiated contact when he had the puck and Forsberg isnt a massive dude like Neely is. A healthy Forsberg is a top 25 player all time just like a healthy Lindros would have been.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:08 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Better offensively? Forsberg
Better defensively? Forsberg
More elite seasons? Forsberg
Better playmaker? Forsberg
Better goal scorer? Neely
More physical? Neely
Most awards? Forsberg
Top 10 scoring finishes? Forsberg
Better in the playoffs? Forsberg

I doubt Mr. Neely himself would vote for himself.
The funny thing is Forsberg prolly wouldnt vote for himself neither. Besides being super talented the guy is too freakin humble.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote