HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Simmons discusses Tim Connolly

Old
07-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Bodybr3ak

vCash: 500
IMO if Connolly stays healthy he could workout to be better then us getting Richards. We don't know what league Connolly is in because he never stays healthy but he seems to think his injuries are now a thing of the past, if true he now has the potential to be a PPG player. I think even if he gets 65-70pts in 82 games and richards sits at PPG, Connolly is the better signing.

Ofcourse that is a lot of IFs. I'm just saying at the end of next season we could all be like "I cant believe we tried to give Richards 8 mill a season"

Bodybr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:01 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

it amazes me how people can read yet another Simmons hackjob and still give it any credence.

typical Simmons - some anonymous "source" spouting baseless general criticisms, while every actual named source says nothing but good things.

can't believe leaf fans still lap this crap up.

the leafs signed the 2nd best free agent forward on the market this year, and did so at a comparatively bargain price because of the player's injury history. don't believe all this other crap for even a second.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:10 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I actually think Connolly was an OK signing for the Leafs, based on the market at the time. If Leafs didn't pay it, someone else would have. Sorry. I just don't believe he's a first line centre. I think he's good for 50-55 points over 70 games because he's a bit brittle.
If that opinion makes me anti-Connolly, I guess I am.
I don't see what is offensive about just posting a link to Simmon's piece in Sun. Yeah, it's Simmons but I thought there were some valid points. I posted in Sabres room too.
I agree..I read the article and didn't find anything really biased or anti-Connolly..Basically told the story of a hockey players struggles....I kinda like the signing but I would have liked a #1C signing as well....Ive always thought Connolly is one pretty slick player....He has never lived up to his potential and he is pretty injury prone..those are simply facts. But he is definitely a good hockey player...Give me Tim Connolly as my number one C over Tyler Bozak 82 games a year....but he like Bozak will be put in a less than ideal situation. Im not sure he has ever been asked to be the top dog before...but as the article says..some players thrive (revel) under the pressure of Toronto and some curl up and die...which one will Tim Connolly be?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:14 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
A hockey man who knows that he may someday cross paths with Tim Connolly or his agent or one of his friends and knows it's best to not put his name next to candid opinions about the player.

I doubt the Leafs' brass don't know exactly what they got when they signed Connolly. I think it's fair to say that his numbers don't match his talent but his talent is exactly what the Leafs needed to add this off-season. Even performing at the level he performed in his more uninspiring seasons with the Sabres will help the Leafs who are shallow at center.

I wanted to comment on one of the statements in the article where someone talks about everyone in Connolly's family being high achievers implying that Tim Connolly isn't. Tim Connolly is one the best couple 100 hockey players in the world. Since when is that not "high achieving"? Is his family made up of Barrack Obama, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Oprah Winfrey and Mother Teresa?

I thought the exact same thing...the guy makes 4.5M bucks a year...yeah you bum Connolly..you should have made something of yourself like your sister! hahahhahaha

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't read Steve Simmons...

Stop posting his links, stop complaining about him, just stop everything and let the man fade away...He is making a living of stirring up controversy which is the lowest form of journalism...and any debate only furthers his cause...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:31 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post

Stop posting his links, stop complaining about him, just stop everything and let the man fade away...He is making a living of stirring up controversy which is the lowest form of journalism...and any debate only furthers his cause...
He doesn't just make a living from it. He's one of the most well-read columnists at The Toronto Sun. I know someone who works there, who told me his "reads" when they survey always lead the paper or are near the top always.
That's not an endorsement from me, it's just reality. Stirring it up works. Especially in summer, when there's no news. I know people people who still click on hockeybuzz.com they are so desperate to read something. I've cut myself off Ecklund.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
willy29

I enjoyed the article....interesting read about the Islanders not wanting Stefan or Brendl (guess they knew how those players would turn out) and really wanted Connolly....the Islanders probably screwed up his development by keeping him in the first year...great comments from Sherry Bassin, Connolly's GM in Erie.....trust his assessment as he is a knowledgeable jr hockey guy

willy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:39 AM
ThreeHundred

The SUN is one of the worst papers. The sunshine girls aren't even that nice

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post

This, please close all threads involving this guy. He is a joke of a reporter.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
it amazes me how people can read yet another Simmons hackjob and still give it any credence.

typical Simmons - some anonymous "source" spouting baseless general criticisms, while every actual named source says nothing but good things.

can't believe leaf fans still lap this crap up.

the leafs signed the 2nd best free agent forward on the market this year, and did so at a comparatively bargain price because of the player's injury history. don't believe all this other crap for even a second.
I thought you said not signing Richards would make Burke a failure as a GM.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:15 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

It does.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Connolly MIGHT become our next Komisarek, or our next Lupul.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:30 AM
mulebreath

"Among the terms used to describe Connolly are: Soft. Sullen. Difficult. Loner. Spoiled brat. Silver spoon kid. Entitled. Not a team player. Almost the opposite of what you expect most hockey players to be."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just the shabbiest type of journalism. Among the terms used...
Wow, what a scoop. Terms used by whom and when? Anybody can say anything anytime, this unnamed sources stuff is ridiculous, either put a name behind these quotes, somebody who has the cahonas to stand behind what they say or don't repeat it.

Among the terms used to describe Steve Simmons ... sleeps with rubber dolls, eats at soup kitchens despite his wealth, only wears pants with holes in the crotch, farts at funerals... Almost the opposite of what you expect a professional sports writer to be.

mulebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulebreath View Post
"Among the terms used to describe Connolly are: Soft. Sullen. Difficult. Loner. Spoiled brat. Silver spoon kid. Entitled. Not a team player. Almost the opposite of what you expect most hockey players to be."

Wow, what a scoop. Terms used by whom and when? Anybody can say anything anytime, this unnamed sources stuff is ridiculous, either put a name behind these quotes, somebody who has the cahonas to stand behind what they say or don't repeat it.

Among the terms used to describe Steve Simmons ... sleeps with rubber dolls, eats at soup kitchens despite his wealth, only wears pants with holes in the crotch, farts at funerals... Almost the opposite of what you expect a professional sports writer to be.
Actually, those things describe professional sports writers pretty accurately. :-)

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:38 AM
mulebreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
Actually, those things describe professional sports writers pretty accurately. :-)
Yes, you're right... that describes sports writers to a tee, what was I thinking?

Old
07-15-2011, 12:49 PM
LeafsTFC

Quote:

I just lol'd at my desk should probably get back to work soon

LeafsTFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:27 PM
tony135420

Quote:
Bassin plans on meeting with Connolly before the summer ends. “I know this kid and he knows he has something to prove,” said Bassin. “There are going to be significant expectations, significant opportunities for him in Toronto. We’re going to find out how strong he is. I’m going to tell him to his face. It’s your time. You’ve got to be ready for it. It may never come again.”
Best part and most truth in this article. The rest is nothing more than filler.

And mulebreath...I've farted at funerals many times...I feel shame...

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Tim Connolly doesn't like dealing with the media. Simmons himself wrote:

Media consultants will tell you to "feed the beast," which in layman's terms means providing information to the media, rather than leave them guessing.

A fed beast, the media minds tell you, doesn't go looking for controversy. A hungry beast does.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:24 PM
mulebreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Tim Connolly doesn't like dealing with the media. Simmons himself wrote:

Media consultants will tell you to "feed the beast," which in layman's terms means providing information to the media, rather than leave them guessing.

A fed beast, the media minds tell you, doesn't go looking for controversy. A hungry beast does.
And part of the "wisdom of Burke" to pass that on to his players. Hence, players like Connolly doing interviews almost the same day they arrive, Kessel, Wilson and Burke all doing damage control the day after Kessel's "quasi-wants out of Toronto" comments, etc. The man understands.