HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fehr traded to Winnipeg for 4th rd pick and Paquette

Old
07-15-2011, 05:08 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I saw Orlov throw a bit of an elbow down in the corner on Wednesday's scrimmage. The crowd oooh'd. No one cared and I am probably the only one that even bothered to mention it. I like players that get angry sometimes. I think they may be better competitors, referencing one Dale Hunter quote.

I think we all remember MJ showing some nastiness in a tourney.
what kind of play angry do you like? there's many kinds. some like ov get angry and bear down and take over the game. others take bad penalties at terrible times and give games away.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:24 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
what kind of play angry do you like? there's many kinds. some like ov get angry and bear down and take over the game. others take bad penalties at terrible times and give games away.
What kind of angry? really dude.

Ok. Dale Hunter angry. But on our team, any remote form of angry is a start. Ovi and Erskine get angry, and they do just fine. Dont hurt the team. A little Hendricks, and Semin once a year. Thats it. Slim Pickens.

Everyone channels their anger differently, unless they never get angry. In which case, Dale contends, they arent trying their hardest. I tend to agree with him.

Doesnt one's strength or adrenaline increase significantly when angry?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:38 PM
HTFN

Hard to jump to a bigger conclusion than this:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/7/1...gin=1310769334

According to this tool, Paquette wants to BE Matt Cooke.
Quote:
There's one thing more detestable in hockey than being Matt Cooke, though, and that's wanting to be like Matt Cooke.
Sensationalist journalism is so great.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:46 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post

ok, the kid said he was a dirty player and compared himself to matt cooke. not sure how sensationalist that is...

quick poll--don't think about it. who's the biggest d bag in hockey? if cooke's not in your top 5, you haven't been paying attention. this caps "prospect" said that's who he plays like, who he wants to be. we're not talking about dale hunter. we're not talking about a gritty/on the edge type guy. we're talking about a guy who aspires to be a gutless cheap shot artist that's hated by everyone, up to and including his teammates.

either the kid's dumb as a bag of hammers or he's clueless as to what he actually says. either way, don't want him around.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:50 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggietheSavage15 View Post
agreed....also, IMO, this is more about his Matt Cooke comment than what he's actually doing on the ice. I mean, there has been judgment about his character, how he plays the game, amongst other things. Most people knew nothing of this kid up until last week...now CAPS FANS don't even want him on the team. Unbelievable. I want EVERYONE who is in the organization to do well. The Caps brass obviously saw something in him that they felt the need to have Paquette included in the Fehr deal. With the diligence that GMGM & Co. have shown this offseason, I'm willing to side with them as to why he was acquired in the first place.

Also, not to knock Dirtbag because he's certainly entitled to his opinion...but for all the reasons he listed as to why he doesn't like Paquette (dirty hits, elbows, cheap shotting guys going to the penalty box, etc), were some of the reasons why the Caps fan base fell in love with Dale Hunter. You need guys who play with an edge. It keep the opposition honest. I'm really pulling for the kid and hopefully some of the naysayers will change their opinion of him as he goes through the system. He's done NOTHING wrong.
Personally, I love everything I see about his play and glad he may be a Caps player someday. As for dirty play, players should keep their head up and pay attention. Having guys like him keep the Cooke, Samuelsson, Verbeek and Barnaby types from taking liberties on players like Semin and doesn't make the Caps push overs. Too bad vintage Chris Simon players don't grow on trees or can't be cloned, I would love to have a lineup of those with Ovechkin. To think, at one time we had a line of Simon-Hunter-Berube . I for one hated losing Cooke.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:52 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
What kind of angry? really dude.

Ok. Dale Hunter angry. But on our team, any remote form of angry is a start. Ovi and Erskine get angry, and they do just fine. Dont hurt the team. A little Hendricks, and Semin once a year. Thats it. Slim Pickens.

Everyone channels their anger differently, unless they never get angry. In which case, Dale contends, they arent trying their hardest. I tend to agree with him.

Doesnt one's strength or adrenaline increase significantly when angry?
caps get angry all the time. semin. green are both widely seen losing their cool and retaliating. you dont miss these things because you comment about them often.

next thing i hear the caps dont have any players that play angry. backstrom gets very angry and dirty. so does laich. weve talked about ov and erskine.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:53 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
ok, the kid said he was a dirty player and compared himself to matt cooke. not sure how sensationalist that is...

quick poll--don't think about it. who's the biggest d bag in hockey? if cooke's not in your top 5, you haven't been paying attention. this caps "prospect" said that's who he plays like, who he wants to be. we're not talking about dale hunter. we're not talking about a gritty/on the edge type guy. we're talking about a guy who aspires to be a gutless cheap shot artist that's hated by everyone, up to and including his teammates.

either the kid's dumb as a bag of hammers or he's clueless as to what he actually says. either way, don't want him around.
Are you serious? Did you hear him when he said it? One thing about that quote that definitely doesn't translate to text is all the laughter going around while he said it. It wasn't a serious "draft pick profile" type question, he wasn't really being asked about his NHL goal, he was asked about a hit that some people would call questionable (and I'm not one of those, because I didn't see the elbow at all).

You're getting ******** over a single quote with no context about a guy that you probably wouldn't have recognized two weeks ago with very, very little else to go off of, and some fans are saying that they already don't ever want to see him in a Capitals uniform.

This whole board looks like it's going down the toilet.

EDIT: If the kid had said "yeah, I want to be like Matt Cooke, I really admire the way he plays" you'd have a case, but he didn't, and you don't.

Old
07-15-2011, 06:08 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Are you serious? Did you hear him when he said it? One thing about that quote that definitely doesn't translate to text is all the laughter going around while he said it. It wasn't a serious "draft pick profile" type question, he wasn't really being asked about his NHL goal, he was asked about a hit that some people would call questionable (and I'm not one of those, because I didn't see the elbow at all).

You're getting ******** over a single quote with no context about a guy that you probably wouldn't have recognized two weeks ago with very, very little else to go off of, and some fans are saying that they already don't ever want to see him in a Capitals uniform.

This whole board looks like it's going down the toilet.

EDIT: If the kid had said "yeah, I want to be like Matt Cooke, I really admire the way he plays" you'd have a case, but he didn't, and you don't.
i'm not sure what ******** means. but i'm pretty sure that's not what i am. i did go back and watch the video (at least the one someone linked earlier), and i acknowledge it's entirely possible he was kidding. if that's the case, i'll judge him on his behavior as it unfolds. if not--if he really thinks cooke's someone he wants to be like--i'm fine with him never seeing the inside of the phone booth.

Old
07-15-2011, 06:33 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
i'm not sure what ******** means. but i'm pretty sure that's not what i am. i did go back and watch the video (at least the one someone linked earlier), and i acknowledge it's entirely possible he was kidding. if that's the case, i'll judge him on his behavior as it unfolds. if not--if he really thinks cooke's someone he wants to be like--i'm fine with him never seeing the inside of the phone booth.
That was more of a collective "you're", because guys like Dirtbag are convinced he's Satan.

Old
07-15-2011, 06:36 PM
pgreene

Quote:
That was more of a collective "you're", because guys like Dirtbag are convinced he's Satan.
no way man. satan's a soft euro if ever there was one.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:50 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again....

I'd **** myself.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote