HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign Mike Rupp (3 years, $1.5M Per)

Old
07-15-2011, 09:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Devils now have Cam Janssen and Eric Boulton in the fold. Looks like they could have a real tough 4th line..
Neither of those guys are good at hockey... If they skate both of them, and we have a line of Rupp - Boyle - Prust, we are going to skate circles around them in their own zone..... What are the Devils thinking?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Neither of those guys are good at hockey... If they skate both of them, and we have a line of Rupp - Boyle - Prust, we are going to skate circles around them in their own zone..... What are the Devils thinking?
Exactly. Prust and Rupp won't have to "get destroyed" by them since they can actually play hockey.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Exactly. Prust and Rupp won't have to "get destroyed" by them since they can actually play hockey.
For the most part. However, Prust and Rupp are not all that talented. They're talented in their roles, but their roles are limited. They might be able to skate circles around Janssen and co., but they aren't going to be doing that against other teams top six forwards (which is what I'm afraid Torts is going to match them up against).

I'm by no means an enforcer advocate, and I do believe that the game is leaning toward removing the enforcer role, so having Rupp and Prust is a good thing. I'm just concerned that they'll be over-used and over-relied upon when really they are just bottom six role players.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
For the most part. However, Prust and Rupp are not all that talented. They're talented in their roles, but their roles are limited. They might be able to skate circles around Janssen and co., but they aren't going to be doing that against other teams top six forwards (which is what I'm afraid Torts is going to match them up against).

I'm by no means an enforcer advocate, and I do believe that the game is leaning toward removing the enforcer role, so having Rupp and Prust is a good thing. I'm just concerned that they'll be over-used and over-relied upon when really they are just bottom six role players.
Well Feds-Boyle-Prust was effective in dealing defensively with top lines, so I don't know if i'd be scared of Torts doing it in certain situations. But for the most part I agree, we have a very good line there in what they do and they shouldn't be used as a top 6 line.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:03 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Boyle, Prust, Rupp put up a combined 43 goals and 81 points last season, on their respective teams...

Janssen did 1 goal and 4 points in 54 games.
Boulton did 6 goals and 10 points in 69 games.

Devils will be a 3 line team if they try to skate those 2 out there together. Not enough foot speed and too much of a liability, especially if they ice the puck or we're playing at home and get the last change. With the addition of Richards to our 1st PP unit, the last thing they are going to want to do is take stupid penalties and put themselves a man down.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 07-15-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old
07-15-2011, 10:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
I'd say the only reason they were 'overused' last year, was because of lack of depth on our 4 lines. Torts had rookies (Stepan, MZA), undersized forwards (MZA), struggling players (Wolski, Christensen, Avery) to contend with, and Feds - Boyle - Prust was a line with solid chemistry that could be put out there in all game situations and be responsible. This year is different... With the addition of Richards, we have a bonafide top line presence now, and it will allow our secondary forwards to slot into more favorable positions and get better match-ups (Callahan's line won't have to face other team's top defensive pairings, etc). You should see Prust - Boyle get less ice time this year, assuming the other forwards are not struggling.

Old
07-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Well Feds-Boyle-Prust was effective in dealing defensively with top lines, so I don't know if i'd be scared of Torts doing it in certain situations. But for the most part I agree, we have a very good line there in what they do and they shouldn't be used as a top 6 line.
Surprisingly yes, but your best defense is a good offense. Feds-Boyle-Prust were able to provide (most of the time) a chipping way to get other teams top lines with limited chances as opposed to many chances. But, at least looking on paper, with a top line of X-Richards-Gaborik, you'd want to match that line against other teams top lines and hopefully their offensive chances exceed those of the opposing top line. That in itself is a better defense.

Basically, I don't want Boyle playing nearly 16 minutes a game again. There's no need for it. I know Torts, and I know he plays the players who are "playing well" - at least how he sees them playing, but Boyle should be a 12 minute guy at best. I do believe he and Prust were effective on the PK, that should be most of their minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'd say the only reason they were 'overused' last year, was because of lack of depth on our 4 lines. Torts had rookies (Stepan, MZA), undersized forwards (MZA), struggling players (Wolski, Christensen, Avery) to contend with, and Feds - Boyle - Prust was a line with solid chemistry that could be put out there in all game situations and be responsible. This year is different... With the addition of Richards, we have a bonafide top line presence now, and it will allow our secondary forwards to slot into more favorable positions and get better match-ups (Callahan's line won't have to face other team's top defensive pairings, etc). You should see Prust - Boyle get less ice time this year, assuming the other forwards are not struggling.
Exactly. That's ultimately what I want, and what I believe will serve the team better.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote