HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Vegas Odds

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2011, 05:32 PM
  #26
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
For the NFL you can often place the bet on which team makes the Superbowl...so if you'd done that you'd have gotten paid. Jets last two years were like 30-1 I think to make it there. I didn't actually bet it though i will this year.
Yeah I dont even remember that being an option, but def would have been nice. I usually try to find a mid pack/bubble team and throw a little on em to see what happens. Did Preds last year, that would have been nice.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:44 PM
  #27
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
He asked a question saying he doesn't understand why people gamble. Some do it the unhealthy way and some just do it as occasional entertainment. I gave him the reason I gamble.

I go to a casino, lose a couple hundred dollars and get a free room in a very nice hotel. That's better value than buying Ranger tickets. You just have to not be crazy when it comes to gambling.
Eh, I don't feel you ever get the value of your $ in comps. Playing with a few hundred bucks might get you a weekday room free which are pretty cheap anyway. For the action I play I don't even get all Saturdays for free. I do pretty good on the comps overall though. Haven't paid for a room, meal, or massage at the casino for almost a year now. But the difference is I'm winning $, not losing it. It's not really free if you're losing money to get it. I was kicked out of a comped room once though, that was a royal pain in the ass. Even for me the comps aren't 100% "free". My tradeoff is I have to give the casino my name and let them track my play.

The only reason casinos give comps is because it suckers people in to thinking they're getting good value for the money they lose. And it gets people to play longer. "only need to play another hour to get 'free' dinner". And everything at the casino is ridiculously overpriced. What costs you $1 in the "real world" costs $2 in a casino, so that $200 dinner comp is really only worth 100 bucks.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:46 PM
  #28
McSauer
Defense Wins Games
 
McSauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Hey does anyone know of the best place to place a wager on the NHL before the start of the season? Thanks...

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:20 PM
  #29
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASeparatePeace View Post
Hey does anyone know of the best place to place a wager on the NHL before the start of the season? Thanks...
Vegas

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:18 AM
  #30
McSauer
Defense Wins Games
 
McSauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Vegas
you got me...best website, any recommendations?

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:52 AM
  #31
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,258
vCash: 3000
I gamble because I think I'm pretty good at poker (well at least better than my friends) and I know how to count cards (I haven't actually done it at a casino yet, since I'm not 21).

Also, it makes games more exciting. When I play pool, ping-pong, or handball, the games can get boring if I can't actually win or lose anything. When I gamble in sports, I usually don't care less about actually losing the money, it's just the thrill of knowing that I can lose something if I lose.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-

Last edited by Screw You Rick Nash: 07-16-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:01 AM
  #32
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I gamble because I think I'm pretty good at poker (well at least better than my friends) and I know how to count cards (I haven't actually done it at a casino yet, since I'm not 21).

Also, it makes games more exciting. When I play pool, ping-pong, or handball, the games can get boring if I can't actually win or lose anything. When I gamble in sports, I usually don't care less about actually losing the money, it's just the thrill of knowing that I can lose something if I lose.
You can't count cards at most casino's anymore. They use multiple decks.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:37 PM
  #33
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
You can't count cards at most casino's anymore. They use multiple decks.


There's plenty of people who make good money counting blackjack shoes. It requires a massive bankroll though. Like 250K+. The main issue is when you're playing at that level you get thrown out pretty fast. Also money management again is an issue. Some people try to do this crap with a $5000 bankroll then wonder what went wrong when they hit a downswing and go bust. I've played games with a 20%+ advantage against the house and lost a ton of money. Card counting gives < a 1% edge. I won't play anything with < a 2% advantage. I will say though, multiple decks makes things a lot harder for an amateur, because if you make a mistake in a single deck game the shuffle is coming soon, make a mistake in a shoe that's at a positive count and that's a big opportunity lost.

There's a lot of perks to playing for a living, though it kinda sucks to go to work and lose 10 grand. One of the big reasons I do it is because the job market sucks and I got tired of going to interviews then get the same BS every time about how I'm not "perfect" for the position. It's ridiculous. Companies are interviewing but not really hiring so they're setting the bar so high that it's basically impossible for anyone to qualify for it. Or they don't want to pay the salary I'm asking for and they're hoping they get someone really desperate who'll work for a huge pay cut. The last 2 times I stated the $ I wanted first then never heard back (unlike in the past a lot of companies don't give salary ranges up front anymore otherwise nobody would go to the interview). Figured I saved us both some time that way

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:13 PM
  #34
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,258
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
You can't count cards at most casino's anymore. They use multiple decks.
You can definitely count cards using multiple decks.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:35 PM
  #35
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Work for the City Corrections. Thats what I do. 100K without Overtime. Plenty of Overtime. Pension. 20 in and out. Full Benefits for LIFE. 401K.457 as well. ONTOP of your pension.

Plenty of Perks. No more tickets. get out of a lot of jams.

39 credits needed. 21 credits you get in the academy. academy is 16 weeks.

You work at Rikers Island. Put 3-4 years in and transfer off the Island.


Do it. Best this I EVER DID.

And I was a Paramedic Student when I got called. I took the test for the city and within 9 weeks I was called. 6 months and I had a Shield and I.D.




Plus you get to carry a concealed 9mm all day long

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post


There's plenty of people who make good money counting blackjack shoes. It requires a massive bankroll though. Like 250K+. The main issue is when you're playing at that level you get thrown out pretty fast. Also money management again is an issue. Some people try to do this crap with a $5000 bankroll then wonder what went wrong when they hit a downswing and go bust. I've played games with a 20%+ advantage against the house and lost a ton of money. Card counting gives < a 1% edge. I won't play anything with < a 2% advantage. I will say though, multiple decks makes things a lot harder for an amateur, because if you make a mistake in a single deck game the shuffle is coming soon, make a mistake in a shoe that's at a positive count and that's a big opportunity lost.

There's a lot of perks to playing for a living, though it kinda sucks to go to work and lose 10 grand. One of the big reasons I do it is because the job market sucks and I got tired of going to interviews then get the same BS every time about how I'm not "perfect" for the position. It's ridiculous. Companies are interviewing but not really hiring so they're setting the bar so high that it's basically impossible for anyone to qualify for it. Or they don't want to pay the salary I'm asking for and they're hoping they get someone really desperate who'll work for a huge pay cut. The last 2 times I stated the $ I wanted first then never heard back (unlike in the past a lot of companies don't give salary ranges up front anymore otherwise nobody would go to the interview). Figured I saved us both some time that way

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:22 PM
  #36
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
I like my odds!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:45 AM
  #37
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Not really my kind of thing. I'll make ya a deal though, I'll get you and a guest a comped dinner at a casino if you give the casino shift manager who threw me out of the place a real hard time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Work for the City Corrections. Thats what I do. 100K without Overtime. Plenty of Overtime. Pension. 20 in and out. Full Benefits for LIFE. 401K.457 as well. ONTOP of your pension.

Plenty of Perks. No more tickets. get out of a lot of jams.

39 credits needed. 21 credits you get in the academy. academy is 16 weeks.

You work at Rikers Island. Put 3-4 years in and transfer off the Island.


Do it. Best this I EVER DID.

And I was a Paramedic Student when I got called. I took the test for the city and within 9 weeks I was called. 6 months and I had a Shield and I.D.




Plus you get to carry a concealed 9mm all day long

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:31 AM
  #38
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
It's actually because most people aren't capable of managing money correctly and place huge bets hoping to hit it large. When the majority falls into that category it's pretty easy to understand Iwhy casinos and sports books make tons of money.

But to assume it's impossible to win/make money at it is pretty foolish. There's plenty of people who do. They're just not the majority. And as long as it stays that way (which it always will), the casinos and books have nothing to worry about.
I used to work for a magazine named Gambling Times and I worked for a bookie for a few years. A big bookie.

To say that plenty of people make money gambling is quite the stretch. The people who show a profit longterm are far less than 1%.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:37 AM
  #39
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I gamble because I think I'm pretty good at poker (well at least better than my friends) and I know how to count cards (I haven't actually done it at a casino yet, since I'm not 21).

Also, it makes games more exciting. When I play pool, ping-pong, or handball, the games can get boring if I can't actually win or lose anything. When I gamble in sports, I usually don't care less about actually losing the money, it's just the thrill of knowing that I can lose something if I lose.
You really cannot be a card counter in blackjack anymore when they are playing 5 decks and cutting. In poker you are not seeing enough cards to count.

I know a few professional gamblers who make a living out of the thousands who thought they could do it.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:41 AM
  #40
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,258
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You really cannot be a card counter in blackjack anymore when they are playing 5 decks and cutting. In poker you are not seeing enough cards to count.

I know a few professional gamblers who make a living out of the thousands who thought they could do it.
I never said I count cards in poker. I also don't think that's even possible, since they shuffle the deck after every hand. Playing with x number of decks in blackjack makes no difference at all.

http://www.blackjackprofessor.com/counting_cards.html

You change the formula depending on how many decks the table is using. This is the most simple method of counting cards, and it works pretty well. I tested this out hundreds of times myself and it worked just fine.

Also, I really think I would be able to do it at a casino. I'm extremely good at math and I have a pretty good attention span. I got straight A's in all the math classes I ever took, plus a perfect score in my math regents. So I'm pretty confident that I would be successful at it.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:09 AM
  #41
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I never said I count cards in poker. I also don't think that's even possible, since they shuffle the deck after every hand. Playing with x number of decks in blackjack makes no difference at all.

http://www.blackjackprofessor.com/counting_cards.html

You change the formula depending on how many decks the table is using. This is the most simple method of counting cards, and it works pretty well. I tested this out hundreds of times myself and it worked just fine.

Also, I really think I would be able to do it at a casino. I'm extremely good at math and I have a pretty good attention span. I got straight A's in all the math classes I ever took, plus a perfect score in my math regents. So I'm pretty confident that I would be successful at it.
It might work for you, but I doubt it, based solely on percentages.

Again, I don't know you, but based on your original post it sounds like you have a shot of being a gambling addict

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:12 AM
  #42
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,258
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
It might work for you, but I doubt it, based solely on percentages.

Again, I don't know you, but based on your original post it sounds like you have a shot of being a gambling addict
Well it's possible, but I'm probably not enough of an addict to be stupid and gamble money that I need. I'll only gamble money that I'm not afraid to lose. There's some people who will gamble their houses, money for food, etc. I'll never do anything stupid like that.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:14 AM
  #43
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I never said I count cards in poker. I also don't think that's even possible, since they shuffle the deck after every hand. Playing with x number of decks in blackjack makes no difference at all.

http://www.blackjackprofessor.com/counting_cards.html

You change the formula depending on how many decks the table is using. This is the most simple method of counting cards, and it works pretty well. I tested this out hundreds of times myself and it worked just fine.

Also, I really think I would be able to do it at a casino. I'm extremely good at math and I have a pretty good attention span. I got straight A's in all the math classes I ever took, plus a perfect score in my math regents. So I'm pretty confident that I would be successful at it.
Continued.

Also, be prepared to understand that you will never be able to root for anything in sports other than what you bet on.

Be careful. I know gamblers who lost houses an families. It is also difficult having close friends in that lifestyle because it is totally consuming. Even when you are winning it can be an addiction.

The bookie I worked for had a book written partially about him. A movie based on the book is coming out later this year. It is called Lay the Favorite.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:17 AM
  #44
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,258
vCash: 3000
Well I also don't bet on sports, unless I'm actually playing it, because I have no control of the actual game. But I'll definitely watch that movie. In my post before when I said I bet on sports, I meant sports that I'm actually playing in- like handball, pool, ping-pong, or bowling.


Last edited by Screw You Rick Nash: 07-17-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:37 AM
  #45
NJD28
Registered User
 
NJD28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Yeah I dont even remember that being an option, but def would have been nice. I usually try to find a mid pack/bubble team and throw a little on em to see what happens. Did Preds last year, that would have been nice.
You can usually bet the Eastern or Western Conference champions, which would essentially be the same thing. Of course, it also pays about half of what you'd get if you place a bet on the Stanley Cup winner.

But if your team makes the Finals you can always just place a series wager on the other side and guarantee yourself a profit whether they win or not.

NJD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:40 AM
  #46
NJD28
Registered User
 
NJD28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I used to work for a magazine named Gambling Times and I worked for a bookie for a few years. A big bookie.

To say that plenty of people make money gambling is quite the stretch. The people who show a profit longterm are far less than 1%.
Are you referring to the Gambling Times that had Caro and Ernie Kaufman's columns? Used to love that magazine and still have a few issues floating about. Cramer had some good info on horses that still has value today.

NJD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:46 AM
  #47
NJD28
Registered User
 
NJD28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASeparatePeace View Post
you got me...best website, any recommendations?
You're better off sticking with the sportsbooks that receive good reviews, such as The Greek or Bet Jamaica. If you live outside the US you can't go wrong with Pinnacle.

Odds on future bets will fluctuate to a much greater degree than odds on games, so shop as many different sportsbooks as you can. Most of them don't have Stanley Cup odds up yet, although Sportsbook has the Rangers at 40-1. Of course, their payment processor problems are notorious in the industry, although they are supposedly doing better. But as somebody said earlier, your best bet is Nevada when possible.

NJD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:09 AM
  #48
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD28 View Post
Are you referring to the Gambling Times that had Caro and Ernie Kaufman's columns? Used to love that magazine and still have a few issues floating about. Cramer had some good info on horses that still has value today.
That is the one. I used to chat with Caro and Kaufman all the time. Went with Caro on a few poker jaunts.

Wrote some for the mag as well as teaching blackjack in the school they ran.

Lived in LA then and got treated great in Vegas because of magazine. Owner of mag was one of original card counters.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:00 AM
  #49
NJD28
Registered User
 
NJD28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
That is the one. I used to chat with Caro and Kaufman all the time. Went with Caro on a few poker jaunts.

Wrote some for the mag as well as teaching blackjack in the school they ran.

Lived in LA then and got treated great in Vegas because of magazine. Owner of mag was one of original card counters.
A shame nobody picked the banner when GT went away. Many of your decent sports betting writers (Mike Lee, Huey Mahl, Jim Barnes, etc.) were from that era.

For a while I think I owned all the Systems & Methods books, along with Bob McCune's GT Guide to Football Betting and the one Barbara Nathan wrote on basketball, as well as a few others. Some, like the computer book, were definitely ahead of their time.

Always felt bad for Ernie trying to make it as an honest tout during the era that ******** like Mike Warren, the Professor and guys of that ilk were at their peak.
Not much better now with the Brandon Langs and Stu Feiners of the world, but at least most people have caught on to their act.

NJD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:03 AM
  #50
sbjnyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Also, I really think I would be able to do it at a casino. I'm extremely good at math and I have a pretty good attention span. I got straight A's in all the math classes I ever took, plus a perfect score in my math regents. So I'm pretty confident that I would be successful at it.
I think one of the biggest misnomers in gambling is that you need to be good at math. I never heard of any game where you need to evaluate a line integral to win.

Back on topic, I used to always find myself in Vegas in early September and always plunked down about $50 on the Rangers to win the cup. As I recall, they need to fill out a tax form if you win more than $1,200 so you may want to split your bets up to avoid that wonderful problem.

sbjnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.