HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bowman confident in his young centers

Old
07-15-2011, 02:34 PM
blackhacks17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Ok good, so I'm not the only one who thinks he doesn't know much of anything about the game of hockey?
Exactly. Nothing about the game or money end. I used to like hearing him on the radio pre-twitter. He gets good info, usually late, but when he inserts his opinion he loses credibility. Today, he's been saying that Frolik should have only got 1.6 or 1.7.

blackhacks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

what I wanted to say... I like it when some say Krüger hasn't shown anything. It's funny because he played a solid and good defensiv game and this is something

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:04 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
what I wanted to say... I like it when some say Krüger hasn't shown anything. It's funny because he played a solid and good defensiv game and this is something
Yeah, a lot people just want to see the numbers and they're wrong. Let them beat their heads up against wall wondering why Kruger keeps getting ice time. And I find it funny how people think Smith is good enough defensively to play C and still provide offense. It may have to do with the fact that he did so well offensively. I thought he became worse defensively as the season went along. His first game against the Wild, he was very good, but as more offense was expected of him, his defense did suffer. I like both players but the facts are the facts.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I like both and both should make the team, thats all I have to say

Old
07-15-2011, 04:15 PM
KyleJRM

Quote:
I like both and both should make the team, thats all I have to say
Hard to see how there is room. I'm guessing Bowman signs five more fourth-liners and three more bottom-pairing/7th defensemen between now and training camps.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, a lot people just want to see the numbers and they're wrong. Let them beat their heads up against wall wondering why Kruger keeps getting ice time. And I find it funny how people think Smith is good enough defensively to play C and still provide offense. It may have to do with the fact that he did so well offensively. I thought he became worse defensively as the season went along. His first game against the Wild, he was very good, but as more offense was expected of him, his defense did suffer. I like both players but the facts are the facts.
Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
Hard to see how there is room. I'm guessing Bowman signs five more fourth-liners and three more bottom-pairing/7th defensemen between now and training camps.
aren't you tired of saying things like this again and again?

Old
07-16-2011, 09:11 AM
KyleJRM

Quote:
aren't you tired of saying things like this again and again?
Not really. It's the offseason, and that's the story of our offseason.

Old
07-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhacks17 View Post
Exactly. Nothing about the game or money end. I used to like hearing him on the radio pre-twitter. He gets good info, usually late, but when he inserts his opinion he loses credibility. Today, he's been saying that Frolik should have only got 1.6 or 1.7.
He should have only gotten that much. The Hawks were negotiating from a position of power and overpaid. Oh well, I think he will live up to his contract; but as things stand, he is making a little too much.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:39 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
He should have only gotten that much. The Hawks were negotiating from a position of power and overpaid. Oh well, I think he will live up to his contract; but as things stand, he is making a little too much.
Nah, his deal is pretty much in the same ballpark as his peers with similar stats as their second contract.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:42 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
Not with a $64 million cap he isn't.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

others got the same with less years...

Old
07-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Blackhawks4life

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and have been fololwing/reading some great posts for sometime now. I thought it was time to join the forum and start to contribute. I guess my post is not only about center's but also the overall team roster. I'm very happy with what Bowman has done thus far and I believe he has a blue-print set in his mind for not only this yr but for the future as well. After winning the cup, his hand was obviously forced and had to unload players that were originally overpayed by Tallon or simply to just fit under the cap. Bowman was totally handcuffed and not able to make moves last yr via free agency or trading. Instead of unloading a core player, he sacrificed a yr and in the end, we probably came within a goal of making a deep run. The young players earned some valuable experience and with Crow being the number one from the start of the year, we won't be looking for a backdoor entry into the dance this year. We would have been a top 4 seed lst, no question at all if turco was the backup from day 1.
Turn the page to this year. Who was bowman suppose to get via free agency??? Everyone overpaid.....cole 4.5, wiz making more then Keith, Richards playing with a mush head etc.....Bowman stayed the course and how has cap flexibility and a very good roster to start the year. Brunette and Carcillo were great pickups on the front end. Montador is a solid 4/5. Bowman can do exactly what Bos did at the deadline. bos had the room to go get Peverley, Kelly, Kabby......if we unload a draft pick or a prospect and win the cup then who cares right??? Bowman needs to sign Shapie and Leddy will be a stud in a few years so we are gonna have to lock him up. There's plenty of soon to be ufa's that will be available at the deadline and i wouldn't be surprised if tallon does another bone head deal and trades Weiss for one of his projects he drafted.
In the salary cap world you have to win when you have the chance and i believe Chi is in the right place for next year. there's not many team; if any that have the depth like we do and the prospects/draft picks in their system like we do.
lets see what Bowman can do come the trade deadline or during the year.
There's a lot of very good posters on here. Thanks for the read.....go hawks!!!

Blackhawks4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:55 PM
LandofLincoln

Welcome to HF Boards.

When you officially get insulted then you should feel right at home.

Bowman has done good so far, and it was big shoes to fill because Dale did a lot of things right by over-paying guys to come here... and that is what gets us the Cup the overpayment to attract guys to come here! Tallon didn't do everything right, but he changed the culture & expectations.

Back to back good GM's considering what they did from where they came from.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 03:12 PM
KyleJRM

Welcome! I think you are a little overoptimistic about what kind of trades will be available, but otherwise a fantastic analysis. Glad to have you here!

Old
07-16-2011, 04:39 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks4life View Post
Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and have been fololwing/reading some great posts for sometime now. I thought it was time to join the forum and start to contribute. I guess my post is not only about center's but also the overall team roster. I'm very happy with what Bowman has done thus far and I believe he has a blue-print set in his mind for not only this yr but for the future as well. After winning the cup, his hand was obviously forced and had to unload players that were originally overpayed by Tallon or simply to just fit under the cap. Bowman was totally handcuffed and not able to make moves last yr via free agency or trading. Instead of unloading a core player, he sacrificed a yr and in the end, we probably came within a goal of making a deep run. The young players earned some valuable experience and with Crow being the number one from the start of the year, we won't be looking for a backdoor entry into the dance this year. We would have been a top 4 seed lst, no question at all if turco was the backup from day 1.
Turn the page to this year. Who was bowman suppose to get via free agency??? Everyone overpaid.....cole 4.5, wiz making more then Keith, Richards playing with a mush head etc.....Bowman stayed the course and how has cap flexibility and a very good roster to start the year. Brunette and Carcillo were great pickups on the front end. Montador is a solid 4/5. Bowman can do exactly what Bos did at the deadline. bos had the room to go get Peverley, Kelly, Kabby......if we unload a draft pick or a prospect and win the cup then who cares right??? Bowman needs to sign Shapie and Leddy will be a stud in a few years so we are gonna have to lock him up. There's plenty of soon to be ufa's that will be available at the deadline and i wouldn't be surprised if tallon does another bone head deal and trades Weiss for one of his projects he drafted.
In the salary cap world you have to win when you have the chance and i believe Chi is in the right place for next year. there's not many team; if any that have the depth like we do and the prospects/draft picks in their system like we do.
lets see what Bowman can do come the trade deadline or during the year.
There's a lot of very good posters on here. Thanks for the read.....go hawks!!!
Welcome aboard and I agree with most of your post. Stan has done a fine job since taking over, up until this Campoli situation that is. Personally I would have signed him for one more year at an inflated salary but failing that I don't think he has handled the Campoli situation very well at all. Even if it were true that he was out, why broadcast it to the entire hockey world at this point? It is entirely out of the Hawks character to do so. They generally play their cards very close to the vest in these situations and I fear that Stan's effort to send a clear message will backfire by ending up getting us nothing for him.. but Stan's not stupid. I'm sure he knows that as well and perhaps the message sent to future FA's within our org is worth it in Stan's eye but I am still disappointed. We now have a surplus of cap room and I don't think there is any player available at this time to spend it on. So we live with what we have, as a weaker team today, then we were yesterday..

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

Welcome to the boards!

The only mistake with Campoli was tipping his hand. Paying a bottom pairing D that much is nuts. If you have so much money in your bank account, do you just blow it because it is there? No. You wait until there is something you need. Campoli is not something we need.

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:56 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Welcome to the boards!

The only mistake with Campoli was tipping his hand. Paying a bottom pairing D that much is nuts. If you have so much money in your bank account, do you just blow it because it is there? No. You wait until there is something you need. Campoli is not something we need.
The difference is cap space doesn't accumulate over the years so that analogy is worthless.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
The difference is cap space doesn't accumulate over the years so that analogy is worthless.
I think what he is saying is money is still money. Forget cap space for a minute - 3 million dollars is a lot of money, especially for a guy the Hawks might view as a 3rd pairting dman. I guess you could say that is like you or I wanting to buy a Pepsi. If someone offered one for 10 dollars we'd probably tell them to piss off. it's not that 10 dollars is a lot of money...it's just that it's not worth 10 dollars. Sorta like Campoli not being worth 3 million dollars.

I've had some thoughts that the Hawks might be reeling in the spending a bit. Leo mentioned he thinks the Hawks scaling back the Prospect camp was more of an excuse to save money than anything else. Not sure if I agree or disagree with that. But it does appear to me that the Hawks will not be going near the cap this year.

Even if they are scaling back on the spending, I'm not complaining. There are some front loaded contracts out there like Montador, hossa and keith to name 3, which guarnatee that the actual dollars spent will be at least what the cap is. Plus rocky is still paying Huet.

If the Hawks are scaling back the spending - then I think that makes Stan's off-season moves all the more remarkable. He may have greatly improved the team while spending less money. He's no Jim Hendry.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:45 PM
BobbyJet

Exactly brtriad. If there is anything we can take from the Tallon era, it is to go for it while you can and don't hold back. Campoli came to this team and fit in quite well immediately. Yes, he had a less than stellar playoff, but let's face it ... Canucks for the most part outplayed a young Hawk team that hadn't quite gelled yet. By giving up on Campoli so easily, Stan is now in the position of underspending and waiting for a phantom player or fix, that may never appear. Team chemistry is a key ingredient for a SC run, and we, in many ways, are starting over (once again this season) in that regard. The rude dumping of Campoli only adds to this issue.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Sarava

Umm what was rude about the dumping of Campoli?

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
You paid a stump 2MM more than he was worth this year. That is $ out the door this year. It is a fricking waste on him. Accumulation has nothing to do with it. It is smart biz.

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:06 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Smart business is making the most of your assets like available players and cap space. Frugal business is not paying those players their market value, the arbitration award, when you can afford to.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:10 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Exactly brtriad. If there is anything we can take from the Tallon era, it is to go for it while you can and don't hold back. Campoli came to this team and fit in quite well immediately. Yes, he had a less than stellar playoff, but let's face it ... Canucks for the most part outplayed a young Hawk team that hadn't quite gelled yet. By giving up on Campoli so easily, Stan is now in the position of underspending and waiting for a phantom player or fix, that may never appear. Team chemistry is a key ingredient for a SC run, and we, in many ways, are starting over (once again this season) in that regard. The rude dumping of Campoli only adds to this issue.
Campoli doesn't push us over the top, so why throw a **** load of money at him? He's a 5th/6th Dman on this team, he's not worth it. His departure doesn't significantly worsen us, just like if he had been signed he doesn't make us significantly stronger.. He's a depth guy, and he was replaced at a far more reasonable price by a player who's capable of playing a simular game.

And we don't have to be a Cup-or-bust team anymore, so following Tallon's plan of throwing **** loads of money at players that aren't worth it isn't going to cut it anymore.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I think what he is saying is money is still money. Forget cap space for a minute - 3 million dollars is a lot of money, especially for a guy the Hawks might view as a 3rd pairting dman. I guess you could say that is like you or I wanting to buy a Pepsi. If someone offered one for 10 dollars we'd probably tell them to piss off. it's not that 10 dollars is a lot of money...it's just that it's not worth 10 dollars. Sorta like Campoli not being worth 3 million dollars.

I've had some thoughts that the Hawks might be reeling in the spending a bit. Leo mentioned he thinks the Hawks scaling back the Prospect camp was more of an excuse to save money than anything else. Not sure if I agree or disagree with that. But it does appear to me that the Hawks will not be going near the cap this year.

Even if they are scaling back on the spending, I'm not complaining. There are some front loaded contracts out there like Montador, hossa and keith to name 3, which guarnatee that the actual dollars spent will be at least what the cap is. Plus rocky is still paying Huet.

If the Hawks are scaling back the spending - then I think that makes Stan's off-season moves all the more remarkable. He may have greatly improved the team while spending less money. He's no Jim Hendry.
I've been wondering that a bit myself. Not necessairly because of prospect camp, but this is our second (and final) year of having Huet on the books. We pay him over $5M to not play. If they are even considering buying out or burying Olesz at some point as well, that is money they will have to pay in addition that they won't use. It's possible given the fact we have a solid team right now, they are trying to save a little off the top to keep the books balanced.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote