HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #18

View Poll Results: Who is the #18 Rangers prospect?
Jason Wilson 1 1.61%
Mikhail Pashnin 27 43.55%
Andreas Thuresson 3 4.84%
Dale Weise 27 43.55%
Cameron Talbot 2 3.23%
Blake Parlett 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers Prospect Poll: #18

Another high risk, high reward prospect Michael St. Croix made his onto our list in round 17. RW Andreas Thuresson made it into our poll.

Don't forget to write-in who should be added in the next round. Also would be good to include a discussion/argument on why you voted for a particular prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. D Ryan McDonagh
3. D Tim Erixon
4. RW Christian Thomas
5. D Dylan McIlrath
6. LW Mats Zuccarello
7. LW J.T. Miller
8. LW Carl Hagelin
9. RW Jesper Fasth
10. D Pavel Valentenko

SECOND-TIER PROSPECTS

11. C Oscar Lindberg
12. D Tomas Kundratek
13. LW Ryan Bourque
14. C Andrew Yogan
15. C Steven Fogarty
16. RW Shane McColgan
17. Michael St. Croix

Michael St. Croix
Center
Born Apr 10 1993 -- Winnipeg, MAN
Height 5.11 -- Weight 179 -- Shoots R

2010-11 Edmonton Oil Kings WHL 68 27 48 75 48

"His statistics and achievements speak for themselves, but the essence to St. Croix’s unique game is his style of play. A playmaker and goal-scorer, he believes a big part of his game involves his vision, which contributes to his impressive offensive abilities. St. Croix is able to set up plays and get passes through the narrowest of lanes, but most importantly he positions himself perfectly to finish the play. At the same time, his vision grants him the confidence to get fancy with the puck and put on a show."
- The Hockey News

Last edited by Beacon: 07-16-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

LW JASON WILSON

Tough, banging winger projected to play on the bottom two lines as a physical player who can hopefully add some offense.

"Wilson is going to surprise some people. He can really play.”
-Gordie Clark

D MIKHAIL PASHNIN

Hard-hitting defenseman with an all-around game. Similar in style to Scott Stevens, though obviously nowhere near as talented. However, he is on the first pairing defenseman in the KHL at the age of 21.

"Pashnin is a warrior, who goes all out in games and does everything it takes to win. He is a good influence on his teammates, because he has great character and is a solid, hard-working player... He acclimated very well on the Red Army team and to the big city. Since playing at the KHL level, he has really improved his intensity and quickness. His body-checking has become harder and he plays a stronger physical game. He is a very hard player to play against and he plays with a lot of confidence."
- Vladimir Lutchenko, the Rangers' Russian scout.

"He plays like a North American. I loved what I saw from him in the 2008 Canada-Russia Challenge series. The Canadian players came after the Russians, and this guy just gave it right back to them. He's just a real warrior."
- Gordie Clark in 2010.

"The KHL arenas have wider ice, and there's very little hitting, but Pashnin's game is a North American game, and that's why he stood out at Development Camp last year. The way he plays is very North American. Defenseman Mikhail Pashnin, the Rangers' seventh-round pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, celebrates the MHL championship he won with Red Army 2, the top affiliate of CSKA Moscow on April 22, just a few weeks before he turned 22 years old... He came here and he opened a lot of eyes"
- Gordie Clark in 2011.

RW Andreas Thuresson

A two-way player with good size and an aggressive, physical game, but has limited offensive skills.

Could not find any quotes on him.

RW DALE WEISE

Tied for AHL lead in shorthanded goals, energy player who has been compared to Callahan by the Rangers.

"He's very underrated as a goal-scorer, so I would have expected close to 20 in his first year, and I'm not at all surprised he got this many (28) in his second year. I think this is a big off-season for him in getting himself prepared to take a run at a position on the Rangers. He had a great year for us in Hartford... He's got a combination of size and skating. The thing we licked about him in juniors was his penchant for finishing checks. He still does and can pop anybody. He plays an all-around game and plays in all positions."
- Gordie Clark.

"I do have some skill, too. I'm not a guy that just fights and mucks. I think I can score, and eventually someday, I can probably score 20 goals in the NHL."
- Dale Weise.

G CAMERON TALBOT

Goalie with good size on a weak team. Did for his college team what Lundqvist did in his early days: keep a bad team in the game, giving them a chance. Dominated at every level he played at, though he was always in rather weak places (OPJHL, College Hockey America). Almost defeated the top ranked Miami-Ohio while backstopping the very weak UofA team.

"He has size and the athleticism we like, and he was able to keep a very weak team competitive... I told our scout I expected them to get spanked in the game, but they won," said Clark. "They won it and got to go to the NCAA tournament, so I sent another couple guys in to watch him. They got beat in that second game, but in both games, they were in it... Benoit (Allaire) really likes him."
- Gordie Clark

D BLAKE PARLETT

Offensive defenseman with good size. ECHL All-Star in 2011.

“A good defenseman has to be able to move the puck, whether it’s in transition, regrouping, breaking out or making plays under pressure. He does all those things, and those are often skills that I try to polish in young defensemen who come here. If you have a kid who shows up and has that element in his game, it’s a good plus.”
- Whale Assistant Coach J.J.Daigneault.

“I like the way he moves the puck, and he’s a strong skater, so that’s always helpful when you’re defending and can close the gap and take away time and space. He’s really poised with the puck; he doesn’t just throw it away, which is part of being a good player. And he makes plays that make a difference in the course of a game."
- Whale Coach Ken Gernander.

Old
07-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Vitto79

18 already and Weise has to get on the board

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

It's more than time to add Dale Weise. At the age of 22, he's only a hair away from cracking the NHL and over the last two seasons established himself as a proven physical 30-goal scorer in the AHL.

Add Samuel Noreau. Here's a big (very) defenseman who just got drafted the same round as Shane McColgan. No reason why he's still missing from the poll.

Old
07-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Weise should've been off this board about 6 positions ago. Poll fail

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Zil

Why does the first post have a picture and quotes about McColgan if St. Croix just won?

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:34 PM
eco's bones

Weise. Stajcer.

Anyone with an idea if Johnson signed his q. o.--and if he's still a prospect?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Weise should've been off this board about 6 positions ago. Poll fail
His ceiling is very low and he didn't show much during his call up. A fourth-line grinder is a fourth-line grinder, no matter how close to the NHL he is.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
The NHL is the NHL, no matter how you make it into the league. Where's Lundmark's ceiling? How's he looking?

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:42 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Parlett. Add Noreau.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:44 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Why does the first post have a picture and quotes about McColgan if St. Croix just won?
Hahahaha. Good question!

Old
07-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

Oops, sorry, forgot to change it. Fixed now.

Old
07-16-2011, 03:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
The NHL is the NHL, no matter how you make it into the league. Where's Lundmark's ceiling? How's he looking?
And like I said, he's not making it into the league by being worse than Kris Newbury and Chad Kolarik.

But everyone else here is meh, so i'll give him the nod. Add Kolarik.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
His ceiling is very low and he didn't show much during his call up. A fourth-line grinder is a fourth-line grinder, no matter how close to the NHL he is.

Again, for a kid who's been on a 30 goal pace both last two years (interrupted by his NHL stints), is his ceiling really as a 4th line grinder? It's true that this is his most likely outcome, but is it really his ceiling? Keep in mind that he's still in his early 20s. It's not like someone who's 25, who has already reached his prime, scoring 30 goals.

Old
07-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And like I said, he's not making it into the league by being worse than Kris Newbury and Chad Kolarik.

But everyone else here is meh, so i'll give him the nod. Add Kolarik.

Newbury is 29 and Kolarik is 25. Both likely stopped improving. This is as good as they are going to get, and since Newbury will be on the wrong side of the big 3-0 this winter, he's likely to start getting worse in a year or two.

I still have hope that Weise will continue improving. This is a big year for him. Weise will be turning 23 before the beginning of the upcoming season. He needs to have a good season. There's a big of jam ahead of him and if we have a relatively healthy season, he may not get into a lot of games.

That said, if this happens, then he needs to score 35+ goals and close to a point per game in the AHL, while improving the rest of his game: fighting, skating, etc.

Old
07-16-2011, 03:36 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Newbury is 29 and Kolarik is 25. Both likely stopped improving. This is as good as they are going to get, and since Newbury will be on the wrong side of the big 3-0 this winter, he's likely to start getting worse in a year or two.

I still have hope that Weise will continue improving. This is a big year for him. Weise will be turning 23 before the beginning of the upcoming season. He needs to have a good season. There's a big of jam ahead of him and if we have a relatively healthy season, he may not get into a lot of games.

That said, if this happens, then he needs to score 35+ goals and close to a point per game in the AHL, while improving the rest of his game: fighting, skating, etc.
Oh I know, but that's probably why most people are low on him. Besides his almost goal against Philly, all Weise did when he was up here was spill Gatorade on his face, get beat up, and eat minutes. It was VERY unimpressive. I would love if he could become a good bottom 6 NHL player, it's not like I DON'T want him to succeed, but he's going to need to take some strides, and if he gets called up do significantly better than he did.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 03:40 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Oops, sorry, forgot to change it. Fixed now.
Still need to fix the quotes, RE.

Old
07-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Still need to fix the quotes, RE.

Yup, did that too. Very sloppy round by me this time.

Old
07-16-2011, 04:45 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

for sure time for Weise to get on board. I just don't see him as more than a 4th liner, while the other players on the list above him still have 3rd line potential.

Add Stajcer again.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:19 PM
free0717

Wiese will never be more than a good AHL player

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Add Čerešňák.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

As expected, a very close round. Might be going into a tie-breaker for the first time since round 5. Actually, there have been surprisingly few tie-breakers this time around.

Old
07-16-2011, 08:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I suppose I will go with add Stacjer.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow