HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Fitness Thread #3

Old
06-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
It's fine, add some abs with your cardio and make sure you always stretch.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:25 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I'm down 12 pounds. Probably because of where I work. I've always worked manual labour, but seems my last job is a lot more physical than the previous. Good workout.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
ClasslessGuy

Is it true that if you want to loose weight you should do cardio in the morning on an empty stomac?

And if i'm happy doing 30 min eliptical, 20 min bike or jog and a 10 min of rowing is that good enough to loose a couple of pounds (5 times a week). I'm just 5,9 195 lbs but i would like to go to 175-180 range. And yes I'm eating well!

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:26 PM
ClasslessGuy

And how is it possible to burn more calorie that you're eating everday? (basic of loosing wight no?)

I got to the gym and burn for 1000 calorie in an hour. But my calorie intake should be more than 2000 a day....

Old
07-12-2011, 01:52 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
And how is it possible to burn more calorie that you're eating everday? (basic of loosing wight no?)

I got to the gym and burn for 1000 calorie in an hour. But my calorie intake should be more than 2000 a day....
Because exercise is only part of how your body goes about burning calories.

Most of your calories are burned by your basal metabolism. Your organs are working all day long, your hair is growing, nails are growing, oils are being produced etc.. all that consumes a bunch of calories.

Thermogenesis also burns calories naturally.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

You know you burn calories just by watching tv, or even when you sleep..
No matter the amount you burn at the gym, it doesn't represent the total amount of your daily loss.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:26 PM
ClasslessGuy

so how do people calculate their in and out than if there's a big X in calorie going out? Is there a way to calculate or an average number a normal body burn everyday?

Old
07-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
so how do people calculate their in and out than if there's a big X in calorie going out? Is there a way to calculate or an average number a normal body burn everyday?
In short, yes.

You can find calculators on the web. I like the one in the BB.com forums.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:40 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
There's different online calculators that can give you a general idea of where you should be, based on age, weight, height and BF %.

If you don't trust them, all it takes is a little tinkering on your own to get a pretty good idea of where you should be.

If you have no idea about what foods are worth what, get a food scale and write everything you eat down. Failing that (too much work) don't worry about calories as much for a few weeks of your routine, eat lean meats, fruits/veggies (more veggies) and some quickoats for breakfast and you should be all set.

You'll find if you're eating healthy and exercising cardio/strengthtraining it is really hard to over eat, unless you're bulking and are over eating with a purpose.

Your first few weeks I would focus on healthy choices and exercise then worry about calories, if you see no change after a few weeks then maybe count your calories a little closer.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:44 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Is it true that if you want to loose weight you should do cardio in the morning on an empty stomac?

And if i'm happy doing 30 min eliptical, 20 min bike or jog and a 10 min of rowing is that good enough to loose a couple of pounds (5 times a week). I'm just 5,9 195 lbs but i would like to go to 175-180 range. And yes I'm eating well!
Yes, but your focus shouldn't be cardio alone. Strength training has been proven to be at least as important, if not more important than cardio. The idea is to lose body fat, not just body weight, strength training will build muscle, which in turn will increase your metabolism and help eat away that fat even when your not doing anything else.

Old
07-13-2011, 07:32 AM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Count your calories... if you're eating 2000 calories a day and not losing weight, try going down to 1800 and see what happens. Trial and error.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:08 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Should I take progress pictures every week, bi-weekly, or every month?

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:23 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Still at er natey? Glad to hear it. It's up to you, some people do weekly, some do monthly, usually won't see much difference in a week, but if you put each week up side by side, I'm sure it would be interesting.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Talent Analyst

Hi guys, I'm finally back to the gym. I got hurt in the month of october last year during a hockey game, results is a contusion and got a shoulder problem that kept me out of the gym. Then, a mono... well finally, I can train normaly.

Week one has been good, hard to recuperate as before. This week has been way better. My goal right now is to gain 10 pounds to have the weight I had.

I'm now 6'0 , 165lbs.

Quote:
I usually take picture everytime I finish a workout program (2-3 months). This way, I could see the benefith of what I've been done during this period of time.

Last edited by Mike8: 07-15-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: merge
Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Which one is better to burn fat on treadmill (regardless of the overall body workout after) ?

16 minutes intervals (2 minutes) / low = 5,0 ; high = 8,0

or

42 minutes intervals (2 minutes) / low = 3,5 ; high = 6,5

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:47 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Which one is better to burn fat on treadmill (regardless of the overall body workout after) ?

or

I have heard its best to do high intensity sprints for short amounts of time or bursts as they like to call it and it is more effective over a shorter period of time opposed to running/biking for longer periods at more consistent levels

you guys should check out sixpackshortcuts and athleanx on youtube...they specialize in maximizing the afterburn affect which is one fo the best ways for burning fat and building muscle

pure cardio is rather ineffective because u eventually start burning muscle whereas doing their workouts u burn fat and build lean muscle through high intensity workouts in very short amounts of time

i have already gained about ten pounds in two months using their philosophies and i burned about 5 pounds off my belly

i am 5'11 165 now where i used to be about 158 but lost 3 pounds off my belly and gained ten in muscle!

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
I have heard its best to do high intensity sprints for short amounts of time or bursts as they like to call it and it is more effective over a shorter period of time opposed to running/biking for longer periods at more consistent levels

you guys should check out sixpackshortcuts and athleanx on youtube...they specialize in maximizing the afterburn affect which is one fo the best ways for burning fat and building muscle

pure cardio is rather ineffective because u eventually start burning muscle whereas doing their workouts u burn fat and build lean muscle through high intensity workouts in very short amounts of time

i have already gained about ten pounds in two months using their philosophies and i burned about 5 pounds off my belly

i am 5'11 165 now where i used to be about 158 but lost 3 pounds off my belly and gained ten in muscle!
Well, right now my workout partner is on vacation for 3 weeks so I'm just doing cardio.

Old
07-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Neither.

Count your calories and strength train. Less effort, more results, not irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post

lol.

Did you count the muscles? Did you count the fat? How did you do that accurately?

You sure you just didn't go from a completely untrained state, to a trained state, rendering ever single word you posted irrelevant?

This sounds harsh, and it is. But every program will work for a beginner and most will long term if you work hard and are consistent.

My calves are sick btw. Just sayin'

Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-16-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: merged
Old
07-16-2011, 12:23 PM
guest1467

Biking 25 kilometres a day, during the week. Swimming for a couple hours a day on the weekend, and walking everywhere. Eating better and more balanced meals, starting to feel pretty good.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:21 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

or

The 42minute version would trump the 16 minute version every time and especially at speeds this close together. Usually the ones pimping interval training over everything else are the ones trying to sell you something. Not to mention, longer cardio sessions have proven benefits for raising HDL cholesterol. I wouldn't do 42 minutes of intervals. The purpose of intervals is to work harder in a shorter time frame.

If you're gonna do cardio for 42minutes just do a steady state form, say 5 the entire time, or 6, whatever you can handle, or start at 4-4.5 and gradually increase it as time goes on. A combination of both interval and steady state cardio is optimal, but you would burn more calories during the 42minute workout every time.

Last edited by habsjunkie2*: 07-16-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old
07-16-2011, 01:30 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Anyone know how much I should spend/where I could find a good digital scale. My current one is ancient and constantly needed to be recalibrated. It's just not trustworthy and if I'm busting my ass for something, I like to be able to track my progress, regardless of how small it is.
COSTCO

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:30 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Biking 25 kilometres a day, during the week. Swimming for a couple hours a day on the weekend, and walking everywhere. Eating better and more balanced meals, starting to feel pretty good.
sounds like my routine, and yes it does feel pretty good!

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Karim, read my post and tell me what you think.

Old
07-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Karim, read my post and tell me what you think.
Jmoccuperais pas tant de faire du cardio si j'étais toi. Jvais te montrer mes pics de cut pi ceux d'un autre gars sur le forum avec très peu de cardio (ou presque pas), c'est quand même très nice. La quantité de calories que tu perds dans les deux cas que t'as présentés est vraiment faible, genre une moitié de portion de spaghetti. Tant qu'à ça, vaut mieux pas manger le spag, prendre du café pour étanché sa faim (si c'est le cas), pi s'entraîner avec des poids 3x semaine. Les trois choses vraiment essentielles pour perdre du gras, et c'est vraiment 90+% de la job sont: 1. Calories 2. Entraînement avec poids/haltères 3. Quantité de protéine (élevé). Je pense quand même qu'il y a un certain mérite à l'entraînement haute intensité (genre sprint), mais sérieux je sais pas à quel point. Si j'étais toi, je ferais mon cardio en faisant du sport ou allant au gym en bike. Neways, dit moi ce que t'en penses, jvais rechecker le thread demain.

Old
07-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Jmoccuperais pas tant de faire du cardio si j'étais toi. Jvais te montrer mes pics de cut pi ceux d'un autre gars sur le forum avec très peu de cardio (ou presque pas), c'est quand même très nice. La quantité de calories que tu perds dans les deux cas que t'as présentés est vraiment faible, genre une moitié de portion de spaghetti. Tant qu'à ça, vaut mieux pas manger le spag, prendre du café pour étanché sa faim (si c'est le cas), pi s'entraîner avec des poids 3x semaine. Les trois choses vraiment essentielles pour perdre du gras, et c'est vraiment 90+% de la job sont: 1. Calories 2. Entraînement avec poids/haltères 3. Quantité de protéine (élevé). Je pense quand même qu'il y a un certain mérite à l'entraînement haute intensité (genre sprint), mais sérieux je sais pas à quel point. Si j'étais toi, je ferais mon cardio en faisant du sport ou allant au gym en bike. Neways, dit moi ce que t'en penses, jvais rechecker le thread demain.
Habituellement on fait notre body workout 3x semaines après 10 minutes de course, mais là Seb est parti 3 semaines en vacances pis j'ferai pas de body workout sans lui... So j'veux juste savoir en attendant lequel est meilleur pour brûler le fat.