HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Development Camp July 10 - July 16

Old
07-15-2011, 01:43 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Agreed, Paqman's comment was taken out of context.

I am glad to see the dcamp games resembling real games. Actual hitting, including some questionable ones, fighting, lets face it. If George wants to evaluate these kids, its best done in a near game situation. Not everyone is a goal scorer.

It would be nice to see Eakin and Sjogren dominate on Saturday.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:50 PM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggietheSavage15 View Post
After seeing the actual interview w. Paquette, the media REALLY took his comment out of context. You can clearly see he was joking around.

*FWIW, I loved watching the clips of him. Hope he keeps it up.
I agree and I didn't see anything that makes him look like a Cooke player. It looked more like he was poking fun at Cooke. I already have forgotten about Fehr now.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It would be nice to see Eakin and Sjogren dominate on Saturday.
Considering how much they're being matched against each other, it'd be difficult for both of them to dominate. Management is really pitting the two against each other for that open roster spot.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:00 PM
HTFN

1.) Paquette's hit was huge (the "blindside" one).

2.) Reading through this, makes me like Galiev even more.
Quote:
Slava Malamud ó Did you follow Washington?

Stanislav Galiev ó Yes, I was paying a lot of attention. I donít understand why nothing worked for us against Tampa. Something was missing, but what, I donít know. These playoffs have been surprising. I did not expect Philadelphia to lose. And Vancouver had to fight hard against Chicago.
Talks like a fan, and not just someone with an interest in the team because he was drafted by them.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
His initial reaction of McPhee's July 1st shopping was a big disappointment. His spirits were down due to the increased depth.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
His initial reaction of McPhee's July 1st shopping was a big disappointment.
Mainly because it pushes back his Caps debut to 2013-2014. Assuming the world doesn't end in 2012.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
1.) Paquette's hit was huge (the "blindside" one).

Talks like a fan, and not just someone with an interest in the team because he was drafted by them.
That`s because he is a fan

He got drafted by his favorite team (due to Ovie, Semin). You`ll love him, he`s a kid with a surgically attached smile

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Jedgi

I'm at the scrimmage now just a ridiculous amount of people. Sjogren and Eakin playing each other every shift even PP and PK. Sorry for grammar mistakes posting on my phone.

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Capathetic

Equipment sale sucked. Its lame to see some fat chick in an ovi tshirt holding four easton s19s and when someone who actually wants to have those sticks to use gets in there and its a ghost town. I went in the ten oclock session and it was wiped out.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 11:57 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

How about that Stevenson tilt. The look on Mitchell's face going to the box after his scrap with Boivin was priceless. Sat center red 3rd row for the first period. Heard many folks being anti punkette based on his Cooke comments today. How about when he crashed the net in the 2nd. And threw the puck up in the net. I got a free building america's team Tshirt foam puck and wrist band for $1 parking. Not bad. Bailed after the 2nd.

Many prospects and invitees looked good to me. I think Sjogren is forcing Eakin to wing or Hershey. Kept an eye out for Koudys and Party Haardee and didnt notice anything.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-16-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old
07-16-2011, 12:08 PM
CrashTheNet9

GMGM says the best player at the camp was Haar. I wonder if that Dynamo guy is crying himself to sleep. He came into the draft thread to cry and complain about this kid.

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:31 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Dynamo jinxed the kid. Perfect.

Old
07-16-2011, 12:48 PM
yay

Did anyone see enough of Haar to know why the praise for him? I keep hearing everyone say how great he was, but no one will say why.

Whyno loves his personality, but, call me crazy, I care more about the on-ice factors.

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by yay View Post
Did anyone see enough of Haar to know why the praise for him? I keep hearing everyone say how great he was, but no one will say why.

Whyno loves his personality, but, call me crazy, I care more about the on-ice factors.
I'm also not at all sure why he and, apparently, others love his personality so much. I saw video of him being interviewed and I've read a bunch of quotes of him. He seems fine, but his personality doesn't seem to stand out in any particular way; he just seems like a totally typical 17-year old. Someone tweeted Whyno, "I just hope that if [Haar] makes it, he never loses that personality." ...I just don't know what the hell they're talking about.

The whole thing kind of reminds me of one of those naive, annoying mothers who goes nuts for the slightest hint of sarcasm from one of her son's friends and anoints them as edgy or something. (Communicated that horribly, but people probably know what I mean.)

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:24 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

George seems to value quality people. Maybe Haar and him just hit it off in their time at Kettler. I noticed many kids that looked good, and he just wasnt one that stood out in the limited ~60 minutes of play I saw. I barely noticed Haar.

He is just tooting his own horn loving his 7th rounder. Sarcasm or not, I leave it to you. Boyd obviously did good. Paq and Mitchell looked good doing their thing. Stevenson. Edmonson looked good. That speedy guy Syner? did his thing.

Orlov looked bigger to me but otherwise didnt stand out much. I noticed a lot of Galiev not so much Kouger. Maybe it was because Stan was paired with Sjogren.

Biggest surprise may have been Eakin struggling against Sjogren and not scoring.

Most competitive D camp I have ever seen.

Old
07-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Cush
-inator

https://twitter.com/#!/SWhyno/status/92277602533908480

Quote:
GMGM says best player at camp was 7th rounder Garrett Haar. Haar says GMGM trying to pull strings to get him to BC this fall. #Caps
1 hour ago via TweetDeck

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Cush
-inator

Bunch of interviews: http://washington.cbslocal.com/2011/...elopment-camp/

http://twitter.com/#!/SkyKerstein/st...78694520946688
Quote:
#Caps Eakin admitted he wasn't in the best shape for camp
1 hour ago via TweetDeck

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Ignoring the possibility of Eakin being out of shape (he'll fit right in with this team... ), anyone think the Eakin v. Sjogren match-up really demonstrated that Eakin is going to need to add some strength before he can be effective at the NHL level? Some time in Hershey will be good for him.

Old
07-16-2011, 03:01 PM
ReggietheSavage15

Knowing what was on the line, it's a bit alarming that Eakin showed up to camp out of shape. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but if there was a roster spot to be had and he was one of the candidates to fill the vacancy, you'd think that he'd be better prepared coming in....

ReggietheSavage15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggietheSavage15 View Post
Knowing what was on the line, it's a bit alarming that Eakin showed up to camp out of shape. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but if there was a roster spot to be had and he was one of the candidates to fill the vacancy, you'd think that he'd be better prepared coming in....
Eakin just finished playing hockey 5 weeks ago...Most players have had much more time to rest and recover and then train before this camp.

He'll be fine for the camp in September.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 03:25 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, Eakin wasn't making the team out of this camp. Rookie camp in Septmember is the one he's gotta worry about.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 03:35 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

In a playoff series, I think a coach would realize Cody is facing a guy that had his number and line him up against other C's. You know, adjust. But they obviously wanted to pit the two against each other all series and that's fine. Sjogren had the size and experience on him, and there was no escaping it.

Being out of shape is a good excuse but I am not fully buying it. I doubt any players were in game shape, and Cody was flying around fairly well. He just set the bar so high after a year ago here, it was tough to match going against a big experienced Swede shift in and shift out.

Eakin is a fast speedy guy. I think he can survive at C early in his NHL career, but not if his coach constantly pits him against big C's. There arent a lot of huge centers these days. I still think at wing he will have the same size and strength issues. Marcus did it, and maybe he can too.

Old
07-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Given our depth of NHL-ready players (shocking I can say that at this point), there's no reason to rush Eakin. Between Chimera, Hendricks, Beagle, Sjogren, Perreault, Hanson, and Bourque we have plenty of guys who fill those energy and/or two-way forward roles. Let Eakin mature in Hershey for a while. If he's progressing quickly, let him be an injury call-up, perhaps even in a top-6 role if he's showing that type of promise. The only way Eakin should be on this roster is if he plays so well we can't keep him off of it. And he hasn't shown us that quite yet.

People were hoping that maybe Eakin could be our Marchand. Well, Marchand played 20 games for the Bruins last year and spent the rest of the year in Providence. He played a full season in Providence before that. Give Eakin time to develop his two-way game against professionals and men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, Eakin wasn't making the team out of this camp. Rookie camp in Septmember is the one he's gotta worry about.
That, and actual training camp.

Old
07-16-2011, 04:23 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
How about that Stevenson tilt. The look on Mitchell's face going to the box after his scrap with Boivin was priceless. Sat center red 3rd row for the first period. Heard many folks being anti punkette based on his Cooke comments today. How about when he crashed the net in the 2nd. And threw the puck up in the net. I got a free building america's team Tshirt foam puck and wrist band for $1 parking. Not bad. Bailed after the 2nd.

Many prospects and invitees looked good to me. I think Sjogren is forcing Eakin to wing or Hershey. Kept an eye out for Koudys and Party Haardee and didnt notice anything.
Eakin is CHL or NHL bound for next season....cannot be AHL....

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:26 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
Eakin is CHL or NHL bound for next season....cannot be AHL....
Thanks. I can never keep them all straight. If DCamp was any insight, its the CHL for Eakin.