HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Doughty vs. Subban

View Poll Results: Doughty or Subban
Doughty 267 62.38%
Subban 161 37.62%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2011, 02:24 PM
  #176
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Doughty is a bit better.

I take Subban.

bcv is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 11:50 PM
  #177
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
In case you forgot, after playing his first two NHL games in 09-10 regular season, PK played 14 games in the playoffs, notching 8 points, helping the Habs beat the Caps and the Pens. In fact, speaking of experience - unlike DD - Subban has actually been past the first round of the playoffs.
You're right, I forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

I think he played well then too, but it doesn't change the fact that Doughty has accomplished far more than Subban has (and is more proven) in his short career despite being far younger. And I'm pretty sure that Doughty would've advanced past the 2nd round if he'd had Halak in nets for him that season too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You didn't watch DD in his rookie season like I did then. No matter if he came in the league a year earlier (matter of circumstances), DD took a whole year to adapt, made a lot of mistakes. He's made way more mistakes this year than PK did. The only season where DD was close to mistake-free, was his sophomore season, that's one out of three. Here's a novel idea, buy NHL network, so next time you won't be talking out of where the sun don't shine. Let's not kid ourselves, as per usual, you don't know what you're talking about, and the next part proves it even better.
I don't care about Doughty's rookie season. That has nothing to do with anything here. Doughty is the better blueliner right now without a doubt. Subban on the other hand makes all kinds of rookie mistakes. But because PK wears a Habs jersey, if anyone says anything remotely negative about him you throw a hissy fit such as you are doing right now.

Doughty has been better up to now for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Now do you care explaining to me howcome Subban played only one playoff series, yet has 21 games under his belt, and was instrumental in shuting down Crosby and Malkin... was instrumental in game 7 against the Caps, tied the game to force the OT in the game 7 against the Ruins this year...
Sorry about forgetting Subban's first playoff run. But no, it doesn't change anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Like I said before, their accomplishments are a matter of circumstances, but why would I even bother debating this with you when you are exactly the type of person I described before in this thread. You abide to the old mentality (you even show signs of cognitive dissonance as to you Norris nomination = pedestal, so then you blind yourself from facts like the ones I'm just saying, without even knowing if what you're saying is the truth, you say it anyway IE DD flawless, Subban played only one playoff round), and since you don't have much in terms of hockey analytical skills, all you're able to do is look at stats and look at accomplishments that are situational and based on a set of circumstances and then you ASSUME the rest.
Right... the 'old mentality' where accomplishment and history actually means something. I guess we should be enlightened like you and pee all over ourselves whenever somebody puts on a Hab jersey.

DD is younger, came into the league earlier and has accomplished more. You say that's circumstance, I'd say you might have an argument to a point. But no matter how you slice it DD has had the better career so far and Subban still has much more work to do on learning how to play in his own end.

And believe it or not, you're not the only guy who's seen him play. Yes, DD didn't have a great year this year but that's what happens sometimes when you get injured. And young players can fall back a little bit from time to time (gasp.. it might even happen to PK!) But there's no way on God's green earth that Doughty would be making the kinds of rookie mistakes that Subban does in his own end with the same kind of frequency. And that's okay btw, he has an extra couple of years behind him and I have no doubt that Subban will improve.

As for my posts, if you actually bothered to read them in this thread, I actually said that Subban could surpass Doughty and that it wasn't as silly a question as others have suggested it is. But as soon as you hear anyone challenge you on anything, it's three year old comments coming back.

Chill out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Going overboard? I'd say you're blinded from the truth.
Where'd I put my rose coloured glasses and kool-aid bottle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I look at the two men, and everything they CAN do, and everything they DID, and what their skillset can bring, and what their mental makeup is, what their drive is, and DD has nothing on PK.
No, sorry. You look at two guys and one of them wears a Hab jersey. You then proceed to make your arguments defending our guy from there. Please don't pretend otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
**Now, people should expect you to either go out of context, ignoring these arguments, or make it about something else, as it is your usual MO, the opposite would surprise me**

... oh,... and I fully assume all the hurtful things I just said to you. I meant them. Feel free to use that as a typical pathetic excuse to avoid talking about your mistakes and lack of discernment.
Well, at least your posts are entertaining. Thanks for the laughs.

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
07-16-2011, 02:31 AM
  #178
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,223
vCash: 500
Awards:
Back on topic, and knock off the personal attacks.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-16-2011, 08:06 AM
  #179
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You're right, I forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

I think he played well then too, but it doesn't change the fact that Doughty has accomplished far more than Subban has (and is more proven) in his short career despite being far younger. And I'm pretty sure that Doughty would've advanced past the 2nd round if he'd had Halak in nets for him that season too.
Edit: In reading my post here, I'm not sure why I added 'far' to this sentence. Doughty is younger but it's only by 6 months. Anyway, pretty impressive for his age regardless.

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
07-16-2011, 10:12 AM
  #180
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Edit: In reading my post here, I'm not sure why I added 'far' to this sentence. Doughty is younger but it's only by 6 months. Anyway, pretty impressive for his age regardless.
I agree. I love PK, but Doughty is unquestionably ahead to this point. Anyone arguing otherwise has their head in the sand. That could all change though.

I already said I gave PK a homer vote and I probably wouldn't trade PK for DD, but that's likely because I watch PK 82 times a season and every playoff game and prefer following our home grown guys.

habsjunkie2* is offline  
Old
07-16-2011, 11:42 AM
  #181
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
Yep, as expected. You bring arguments, I show that they were mistakes "but it doesn't change anything"

So the argument matters when it's good for you, but it doesn't matter when it's been refuted.... you're truly a piece of work.

If you actually read what I meant by the "old mentality", you wouldn't have scribbled all that crap for nothing. I even said I wrote it on another post in this thread (and told you about it), but you rather conclude for yourself what I meant instead of reading it....

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
07-16-2011, 11:49 AM
  #182
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,873
vCash: 500
I think that Subban and Doughty are close enough that ultimately the better career will probably belong to whoever has fewer injuries. Since Subban is a constant target of cheap shots, Doughty comes ahead in this category, though right now he's behind due to his concussion.

DAChampion is online now  
Old
07-16-2011, 03:04 PM
  #183
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yep, as expected. You bring arguments, I show that they were mistakes "but it doesn't change anything"

So the argument matters when it's good for you, but it doesn't matter when it's been refuted.... you're truly a piece of work.

If you actually read what I meant by the "old mentality", you wouldn't have scribbled all that crap for nothing. I even said I wrote it on another post in this thread (and told you about it), but you rather conclude for yourself what I meant instead of reading it....
It's great that he's had two runs in the playoffs but no, it doesn't change anything and nothing has been refuted here.

It doesn't equal what Doughty has done so far by a long shot. I think PK's looked good in both playoffs too but crediting him for our long run when Halak basically was the only reason we made it past the first round just doesn't hold any water. And it's ridiculous to say that he's more proven because he made the 3rd round and Doughty hasn't.

Yes, PK was good. But for folks to point to that long run as evidence that he's better than Doughty is bogus and everyone knows it. That's right up there with claiming Gomez is better than OV because he's won a cup. PK has lots of potential and I think he'll be a great blueliner. But he's still very green.

Meanwhile, Doughty was on the world stage competing against the best in the world and was (along with Jonathan Toews) the best player in the tournament. I love PK, but there's no way he'd make the Olympic team if they were putting it together today. And he wouldn't make it for good reason... he's not ready yet.

I don't see how anyone could objectively argue that PK is better right now. In the future? Okay, maybe. But up until now Doughty has definitely been the better guy. Yes, this could change. Guys start off strong and fall off (Phaneuf) and even superstars like OV have bad years. Who knows, maybe Doughty will join AA and we'll never hear from him again but if we're looking at past performances, then Doughty has the better resume by far without a doubt.

Again, just because folks don't agree with your wonderful views on our players it doesn't mean they hate the team or that they mean anything personal by it. Chill out.

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
07-16-2011, 04:52 PM
  #184
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 13,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I don't know what you mean by the boldfaced statement but I find reason to take exception to it. I think Hab fans are so desperate for heroes that they're inflating PK's stature. If the Habs had DD instead they'd be puffing him up too. PK may be an exceptionally talented player but he does make mistakes and I can't overlook the difference in age between PK and DD.
I think I'm the last to be accused of being overly enthusiastic when it comes to the habs. But it is true that we're starving (well I am) for actual star skaters who can thrive in Montreal. And THAT is why I'd keep Subban. I'm fully aware Doughty has done more, is regarded as the better player and all that but... we can't know how either players would have reacted if situations were reversed. If Subban is drafted by LA and doughty by Montreal.. maybe Subban plays in the NHL one year earlier and Doughty one year later (never would have played as an 18 year old in Montreal). Maybe Subban blossoms even better away from Martin and Montreal, maybe Doughty lacks the maturity to handle the party opportunities in Montreal. So it's all relative really. The only thing i know is that Subban succeeded where others have failed right here. I think that has a lot of value. Subban is an untouchable for me. You trade him and it's at best a sideways move IMO (unless we're talking Crosby/Ovechkin).

Of course, if DD was a habs I'd have been ecstatic after his 2nd season. I probably would have soured on him a little after all the "party boy" reports depending... like I soured on Price, Kovalev, Ribeiro, Theodore, Gomez, Higgins. I'm not big on extremely talented players who squander their talent. I like the Koivus, the Giontas, the Subbans and the Markovs. Guys who can consistently do their jobs at the level that is expected of them, or at least gives a consistent effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Doughty was absolutely incredible in the Olympics, I'd say he's proven that he can play under pressure. If you pick PK that's fine, but you don't need to downplay Doughty to justify it. Doughty is an outstanding defenseman right now.
I am not downplaying DD's accomplishments. I'm just saying he has had extremely favorable circumstances in his career compared to Subban. Subban's made the most out of it and Doughty has had 1 good season out of 3. Doughty reminds me a lot of Price in terms of development pace, character, etc.

Also, after having read your posts in this thread. You overrate Doughty defensively a tiny bit and you massively underrate Subban defensively. He was going up against top opposition as a rookie with Hal freakin' Gill as his partner. That's pretty much all you need to know. If Subban continues to develop at this pace, and I don't think he's plateaued, I'd not be shocked to see him on the same level as the 09-10 Doughty as soon as next year.

But then again I'm REALLY high on Subban. I think he's our best player (after a healthy Markov on top of his game but with the injuries... I don't know anymore) and these two are quite ahead of everyone else. If you look at Subban's play after Martin was forced into giving him more ice time due to injuries, he was playing at a top 10 dman level IMO and that includes defensively. He's not that good technically and positionally but he makes up for it with excellent balance and strength and he's good at getting the puck back and sending us back on the offense. And that's what's scary. Technique and being solid positionally all come with experience. The raw talent and physical skills are what makes him able to be that good. Imagine when he learns all the little things how good he could be.

Anyway I digress. My prediction is that next year I think every habs fans will consider Subban to be at least on par with Doughty and we won't be laughed at for making the claim that Subban >= Doughty. Also I hope that Doughty learned from his mistakes otherwise Subban will pass him in a lot of people's opinion. I think you'll see Subban put up 55pts and be a solid minute eater against top opposition for the habs next year. That's about as good as it gets.

E = CH² is offline  
Old
07-16-2011, 04:54 PM
  #185
28kings28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Is this really a comparison? Doughty by a mile.

28kings28 is offline  
Old
07-16-2011, 05:28 PM
  #186
CaptainC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Here's how i feel. If we get a DD, i would trade markov. If we would get another subban, i wouldn't. I just feel DD is a better player all around then Subban, although Subban has more grit to his game.

CaptainC is offline  
Old
07-16-2011, 05:34 PM
  #187
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
I love PK as much as the next Habs fan but I don't get how any objective NHL watcher could choose him over Doughty today, he was a beast in the Olympics and even though his production dipped a little this year he turned it on in the playoffs when they were missing their top centre. PK has developed nicely but Doughty 11 times out of 10 at this point, who knows how this comparison will look at the end of their career or in 5 years but that's how good Doughty has been, plain and simple. Anyone choosing PK now is letting the logo on his chest cloud their judgement.
This ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I would take Subban in a heartbeat. Olympics, Doughty was great, but Subban has the edge IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q87_VKEWwE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcXvvNM43Tw

edge?

shello is offline  
Old
07-16-2011, 05:50 PM
  #188
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,953
vCash: 500
Just play along, its fun to watch.

Habs is offline  
Old
07-16-2011, 06:51 PM
  #189
Russian Warrior
SWAG
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28kings28 View Post
Is this really a comparison? Doughty by a mile.
Not really, I take Subban and it's not even close.

Russian Warrior is offline  
Old
07-16-2011, 10:33 PM
  #190
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I am not downplaying DD's accomplishments. I'm just saying he has had extremely favorable circumstances in his career compared to Subban. Subban's made the most out of it and Doughty has had 1 good season out of 3. Doughty reminds me a lot of Price in terms of development pace, character, etc.

Also, after having read your posts in this thread. You overrate Doughty defensively a tiny bit and you massively underrate Subban defensively. He was going up against top opposition as a rookie with Hal freakin' Gill as his partner. That's pretty much all you need to know. If Subban continues to develop at this pace, and I don't think he's plateaued, I'd not be shocked to see him on the same level as the 09-10 Doughty as soon as next year.
You're right in that Doughty's last season wasn't great. How much of that is attributed to injury vs discipline, vs. development. But he has shown that he can play a complete game. He was absolutely incredible in his 2nd season and as good as Subban is, he hasn't played at that level... yet. I can understand why folks outside of Montreal would consider the comparison crazy, but I don't think it is. Again though, I can see why folks outside this forum would argue it. Doughty is awesome.

As for Gill, I actually like the guy defensively. He's sound, he clears the front of the net and he allows a guy like Subban to take chances. He's slow as molasses but he covers up a lot of mistakes. I think he's a good partner for PK and it sounds like Subban feels the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
But then again I'm REALLY high on Subban. I think he's our best player (after a healthy Markov on top of his game but with the injuries... I don't know anymore) and these two are quite ahead of everyone else. If you look at Subban's play after Martin was forced into giving him more ice time due to injuries, he was playing at a top 10 dman level IMO and that includes defensively. He's not that good technically and positionally but he makes up for it with excellent balance and strength and he's good at getting the puck back and sending us back on the offense. And that's what's scary. Technique and being solid positionally all come with experience. The raw talent and physical skills are what makes him able to be that good. Imagine when he learns all the little things how good he could be.
I agree. He has all the tools. But he's not a 10 right now. Defensively he makes all kinds of positional mistakes and he makes poor decisions in his own end. He's a great raw talent and you're right he will get better but he's still got a lot to learn.


Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Anyway I digress. My prediction is that next year I think every habs fans will consider Subban to be at least on par with Doughty and we won't be laughed at for making the claim that Subban >= Doughty. Also I hope that Doughty learned from his mistakes otherwise Subban will pass him in a lot of people's opinion. I think you'll see Subban put up 55pts and be a solid minute eater against top opposition for the habs next year. That's about as good as it gets.
Well, maybe Doughty continues to slip. I'd hate to see it but that could happen. I think he'll be awesome again but when you're talking about younger players they can regress.

I think Subban will score 50 points too and I think he'll continue to improve. I genuinely believe that for the first time in a long time we actually have two future superstars to build around and I can't remember the last time that happened. So I'll agree with you as far at that goes man.

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
07-16-2011, 10:56 PM
  #191
hogtownhabsfan
Registered User
 
hogtownhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,689
vCash: 500
All I know is this upcoming season will tell us a whole lot more than last season...

But yea, Doughty is ahead for now, though Price should have been in this pole as our franchise player going forward instead.

But I guess that's what comes when you have 2 franchise players under the age of 25...

hogtownhabsfan is online now  
Old
07-17-2011, 12:00 AM
  #192
Jerk Store
Classless
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Aylmer
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
This is still being talked about?

Jerk Store is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 01:25 AM
  #193
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King
 
BLASPHEMOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,707
vCash: 447
Love all the Habs fans who are saying that Subban can get to Doughty's level one day and probably surpass it. Don't get me wrong, that would be great, except last I checked Doughty is still younger and you all act as if he won't get any better, while Subban has so much room to grow. Makes me sick as a Habs fan.

BLASPHEMOUS is online now  
Old
07-17-2011, 02:30 AM
  #194
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
This is still being talked about?
It's an interesting topic and fun to discuss. And why do you care about the Habs so much, by the way?

All I see from you on the main boards is your attempts at trolling Habs fans and you spend more time on the Habs forum trying to ridicule Habs posters than on your own (mediocre) team's forum.

Try putting your childish personal issues with the Habs aside and act a little more mature. It's just a forum, don't try causing drama all the time.

JohnLennon is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 08:13 AM
  #195
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 13,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Love all the Habs fans who are saying that Subban can get to Doughty's level one day and probably surpass it. Don't get me wrong, that would be great, except last I checked Doughty is still younger and you all act as if he won't get any better, while Subban has so much room to grow. Makes me sick as a Habs fan.
There are quite a few things to be sick about when you're a habs fan.

Bruins winning the cup THIS season after everything that's happened and the joke that was Campbell and all the insane breaks they got. That's something to be sick about.

The Pacioretty incident and the league doing nothing. I was sick about that.

The fact people are ecstatic about the team's results when we've been pretty garbage the last 15 years. Always annoys me.

The way Gainey unceremoniously dismissed Koivu only to go trade the world for one of the worst contract in the league thinking that was a good move and all the sheeps who believe really hard that Cammy and Gionta only signed here because of Gomez (L-O-L when Lamoriello told Gionta to jump on the habs offer because it was a crazy one).

People wanting Kovalev back... well that one makes me laugh more than anything to be honest.

Bottom line... having a player somewhat comparable to Doughty is nothing to be sick about. And if you think the two are so far apart you're in for a sweet awakening next season IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You're right in that Doughty's last season wasn't great. How much of that is attributed to injury vs discipline, vs. development. But he has shown that he can play a complete game. He was absolutely incredible in his 2nd season and as good as Subban is, he hasn't played at that level... yet. I can understand why folks outside of Montreal would consider the comparison crazy, but I don't think it is. Again though, I can see why folks outside this forum would argue it. Doughty is awesome.
I just think that if you go with Doughty it's a gamble.

A gamble that the Montreal night life won't seduce him away from the hard work of being an actual top athlete. You can't make it on skill alone.

Then, you're also taking the chance that the attention from medias and fans doesn't affect his game.

Then you're taking the chance Doughty would work well in Martin's system.

We know Subban can work in those circumstances. Not only that, but we know Subban has done it as a rookie.

Most of us picking Subban are picking him because he's one of the few who has been able to realize his full potential in Montreal despite long odds.

People who come to Montreal need to be mature at an early age in the way they approach their professional career. They have to be smart enough to avoid the temptations of Montreal and to not be overwhelmed by the fact they become pop stars.

It's an entirely different thing than to play in LA.

Trading Subban for Doughty is a gamble that I'd not take considering the not so wide gap between the two. A gamble that Doughty would do better than Subban has right here in Montreal. We're not in a hockey simulator.

Half the fans from other teams don't know or understand that and the other half just wants to troll us so I could care less what other people think.

Quote:
As for Gill, I actually like the guy defensively. He's sound, he clears the front of the net and he allows a guy like Subban to take chances. He's slow as molasses but he covers up a lot of mistakes. I think he's a good partner for PK and it sounds like Subban feels the same way.
Thing is, he's a fine PKer, great leader in the room, and pretty consistent guy but do you really want him on your first 2 pairings ? Sure Subban-Gill is a solid pairing that's greater than the sum of Gill's parts but really... there would be quite a few other partners Subban could get who would be a lot better. Now... maybe his "father figure" qualities would be missed though. But Subban has been fine up to now, don't see why that wouldn't continue with/without Gill.

Quote:
I agree. He has all the tools. But he's not a 10 right now. Defensively he makes all kinds of positional mistakes and he makes poor decisions in his own end. He's a great raw talent and you're right he will get better but he's still got a lot to learn.
I said he played like a top 10 the second half of the year and I maintain it.

You say he makes mistakes. He does, but the end result is what matters. It's not how you do it, it's that you do it.

Subban was playing against top notch opposition. He was producing pts as a top 10 dman offensively on an average team with a very defensive system. He was maintaining excellent micro stats. He was playing with a 3rd pairing dman. He was getting the job done playing sometimes 27 min in the playoffs. He outshined Chara in the first round by a mile IMO. And he did that all of the second half of the season consistently every game.

Did he make mistakes in his own end ? Did he show inexperience positionally ? Yes he did. But he got the job done despite that. And when I say got the job done.. I mean as good as any other dman in the league. You can't expect more than a guy going out there and eating top minutes against top opposition and putting up a lot of pts. When Subban is on the ice we spend most of our time in the opposition's other end. THAT is what matters. How he gets it done doesn't matter all that much. Some guys do it with smart sound positional defense and great stick work while Subban did it with speed, energy and desire like when he shadowed Crosby a year ago on that cool sequence. The end result was the same as any of the other really good dman out there : when Subban was on the ice, we didn't spend our time hemmed in our own zone. Unlike when Gill, a third pairing guy, was paired with Josh Gorges. So clearly it's not Gill's skills making the difference here.

Quote:
Well, maybe Doughty continues to slip. I'd hate to see it but that could happen. I think he'll be awesome again but when you're talking about younger players they can regress.
To be clear I doubt Doughty continues to slip. Last year was probably as low as it's gonna get. But, there are still questions... questions that always get answered in Montreal.


Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-17-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: merged
E = CH² is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 08:56 AM
  #196
Genghis Keon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
Doughty's better, but I wouldn't trade Subban to get him. Subban's a great asset and no matter how good Doughty is, he's also a bit of a risk:

1) Doughty has a playboy reputation. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but it can have an effect on the team. We've lived through it, as E = CH² mentioned, and the Flyers just traded Richards and Carter for rolls of the dice. Doughty could mature or his ways might not cause any problems, but it could end up being divisive.

2) Doughty isn't known for his off ice work ethic/commitment. He's ridiculously skilled and talented, so he can get by and excel without dedicating himself off the ice, but your best players are the team's role models, and I'd much rather have guys like Beaulieu follow Subban's and Cammalleri's leads than think they can coast on talent alone because talent alone doesn't cut unless you're exceptionally talented. Despite being better than Subban, Doughty could have a net negative effect on the team, negating some of the difference in the two players.

3) Doughty has had a concussion. Most NHLers get them at some point in time, but they're always scary. They don't always mean much, but they can mean a lot, and once you get one, I start to worry because there's no more buffer zone.

Now if I had Doughty, I wouldn't trade him to get Subban (unless there was a Richards/Carter clique situation) either because he's better and has more value.

Doughty is like a Porsche 911 Turbo that hasn't really been cared for (the owner didn't break in the engine and hasn't followed the maintenance schedule too closely and has used regular gas a time or two) and has what could have been a major repair. Subban's like a Porsche 911 Carrera whose maintenance has been strictly followed and who's, as of yet, never needed any repairs. If you've got the Carrera, you'd be a little leery of trading it for the Turbo because of how it was treated, but if you've got the Turbo and it's still working perfectly, despite its treatment, you're not going to trade it for a Carerra, no matter how lovingly maintained the Carrera's been.

Genghis Keon is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 09:13 AM
  #197
SB164
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,293
vCash: 500
This argument that Doughty was clearly the best Canadian defenceman in the Olympics is getting a little out of hand. Scott Neidermayer played equally as well if not better, but it was Duncan Keith who clearly anchored that defense.

SB164 is online now  
Old
07-17-2011, 11:27 AM
  #198
Jerk Store
Classless
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Aylmer
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
It's an interesting topic and fun to discuss. And why do you care about the Habs so much, by the way?

All I see from you on the main boards is your attempts at trolling Habs fans and you spend more time on the Habs forum trying to ridicule Habs posters than on your own (mediocre) team's forum.

Try putting your childish personal issues with the Habs aside and act a little more mature. It's just a forum, don't try causing drama all the time.
Eeeeeh, you've been here since march? Is it cause I'm not a huge fan of the jersey? I follow the Habs closely.

As for this topic, I find it absolutely ridiculous. That's my opinion. I've shared many opinion with many Habs fans and participate on the Habs board because as I've said, I follow the team just as much as I do Ottawa. But this thread I find ridiculous and would love to see a similar thread on the main board. And it's not that Subban doesn't get any exposure, because he does on many networks, and if anything, I think Habs fans might not be exposed enough to Drew, which IMO, comes back to the lack of hockey (not to be confused with Canadiens) coverage provided by Montreal media.

That said, I realize that it does not apply in most cases on HF, as fans have a better understanding of the game here than anywhere else. Nonetheless, results like this would not fly anywhere else. PK is a very good young defensemen, I recognize that and enjoy watching him play, but saying PK is better than Doughty is just as crazy as if I were saying that Karlsson is better than Doughty.

And nice little complaint there. You had me tearing up.

Jerk Store is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 11:40 AM
  #199
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Eeeeeh, you've been here since march? Is it cause I'm not a huge fan of the jersey? I follow the Habs closely.

As for this topic, I find it absolutely ridiculous. That's my opinion. I've shared many opinion with many Habs fans and participate on the Habs board because as I've said, I follow the team just as much as I do Ottawa. But this thread I find ridiculous and would love to see a similar thread on the main board. And it's not that Subban doesn't get any exposure, because he does on many networks, and if anything, I think Habs fans might not be exposed enough to Drew, which IMO, comes back to the lack of hockey (not to be confused with Canadiens) coverage provided by Montreal media.

That said, I realize that it does not apply in most cases on HF, as fans have a better understanding of the game here than anywhere else. Nonetheless, results like this would not fly anywhere else. PK is a very good young defensemen, I recognize that and enjoy watching him play, but saying PK is better than Doughty is just as crazy as if I were saying that Karlsson is better than Doughty.

And nice little complaint there. You had me tearing up.
Subban > Karlsson

Subban and Doughty are so close that the difference comes down to injuries and commitment. I think most people agree here that Doughty has the edge at the moment but PK has a lot more growing(hockeywise) to do.

HankyZetts is offline  
Old
07-17-2011, 12:41 PM
  #200
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Love all the Habs fans who are saying that Subban can get to Doughty's level one day and probably surpass it. Don't get me wrong, that would be great, except last I checked Doughty is still younger and you all act as if he won't get any better, while Subban has so much room to grow. Makes me sick as a Habs fan.


Wait, you weren't serious were you?

Protest the Hero is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.