HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best playoff goaltending performence of all-time?

Old
07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post
The contention that he "didn't have a lot to do against Philly" is completely wrongheaded. He was magical against the Flyers.
He was magical in game 2. He was clearly the difference in that game. In fact that game may have held the two best most dominant games by players in this postseason (JVR & Thomas).

Game 2 was the most important game of the series, but t was the only one where he was really much of a factor. It was the only game that the Flyers played well.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Timmy was very shaky in the first two games. But only fools were calling for Tuukka in game three.

I do agree that Thomas' first round was not very good at all. The team dragged him through it with depth and resiliency.

With that said; he got better and better over the next three rounds.

The contention that he "didn't have a lot to do against Philly" is completely wrongheaded. He was magical against the Flyers.

After that, VS Tampa and the Canucks; he was as good as any goaltender of the modern age.

The perfect balance of reaction and the butterfly.

"The BattleFly".
Good, Lex, B's fan.
You know what I'm talking about though, Thomas did not look good vs the Habs. A lot of weak goals that almost cost you the series.
By comparison, Price scared the crap out of you guys. More than any other goalie you faced for the rest of your run, correct?
I'm not even saying that Price is the better goalie, all I'm saying is Price played better than Thomas in round 1, that's it.

Hey, I never said he played poorly vs the Flyer's, all I said it that the only game he had to make a difference in was game 2. I agree with you.

Now...Tampa...not exactly the highlight of Thomas' run either. He allowed 5 goals in 4 of the 7 games and was just lucky that Rolo played worse in that 6-5 shootout. He played very well in the other 3 games, no doubt but overall, his consistency was next to zero in that series.

At the end of the day for me, Thomas had a very strong Finals but at least 2 of the other 3 rounds had a lot of inconsistency and at times, suspect play.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:29 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkLoc91 View Post
Billy Smith's Playoff run was better than Thomas'? I dont know about that.

Thomas carried his team to the finals, without him, they wouldnt have been there. Have you seen the Team Billy Smith had around him? IMO, Thomas performance is better than...
-1966 Roger Crozier
-1968 Glenn Hall
-1971 Ken Dryden
-1983 Billy Smith
-1987 Ron Hextall
-1990 Bill Ranford
-2006 Cam Ward

So that leaves, Roy(1986, 1993, 2001) Parent(1974, 1975) Vernon(1997) and Giguere(2003), that is 7 that are possibly better than his Performance.
I would argue that Ward's performance was up there with Timmy T's. Without Ward, Carolina doesn't get out of rounds one or three, and the Oilers totally were robbed in the third period of game 7, there were 4 or 5 great stops that should have seen the game tied.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:15 AM
8BostonRocker24

Just based on my own two eyes:

1. J.S. Giguere
2. Tim Thomas
3. Cam Ward

That Duck team was one win from a Cup... If that Duck team had "average" goaltending, they would of been bounced in the first round. By far the least talented of the 3 teams.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:02 PM
toob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Because Sergei Fedorov was quite clearly the most valuable player in the 1997 playoffs, and the only reason he didn't win it was because the establishment was not yet ready to believe that a Russian cared enough about the Stanley Cup to be the most valuable player of the playoffs.
not at all "quite clearly" the mvp as Vernon, Fedorov, Shanahan, Yzerman were all up there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Call me biased but Roy '93 is hard to argue against.

Thomas this year...sorry, I don't see it. A good playoff performance yes but not a great one. I have no problem saying that Thomas' regular season performance is prolly in the top 5 of all time but his PO performance aint even top 10 imo.
Granted, he had a very strong finals but his 3rd round play was pretty wildly up and down.
Except for one game, a monkey almost could of won that series against a rather pathetic looking Flyers squad.
And round 1...Thomas was very nearly the reason the Habs won. If not for Bergeron pulling his ass out of the fire, the Habs would of won and Thomas would of been the main goat, that's a fact!
Thomas gets talked like hes a god or something with ppl extrapolating his amazing finals to the rest of his playoffs but then again so do guys like Roy 93 and Hasek 99 and Giguere 03 so Thomas 11 getting the same kind of praise isnt too big of a crime as it is bound to happen like it did before

didnt see Roy 93 so i wont say too much against him but ive read stuff here that the Habs werent **** like some try to pass them off as and someone mentioned that some of 'his' OT wins he didnt even face a shot

Hasek 99 is incredibly overrated by a lot as the Sabres themselves elevated their game... i mean you expected Hasek to be one of the best goalies in the world which he was but you didnt expect the Sabres to score so much like they did

Giguere 03? not slobbing on his knob like a lot do either... he was great but at least in the first round vs the Wings he made a ton of easy saves to boost his sv% and i thought he got a lot of good bounces (the Robitaille shot in OT that hit the underneath of the crossbar and weirdly bounced out still is vivid in my mind)

but let me just say that in the series vs Tampa you cant just look at the games Thomas let in 4 or 5 and say it was a bad game and look at the shutouts and say it was a good game

for example in game 2 Thomas let in a couple of bad ones but you couldnt blame him on the others and the Lightning were so dangerous that game but Thomas made some incredible (and timely) saves especially in the 3rd

whereas in game 3 and especially game 7 Thomas wasnt anything amazing... he played good and got the shutouts but Boston themselves tightened up and Tampa sucked and so there werent many good chances

in game 7 Roloson actually (finally) outplayed Thomas but the rest of the team was so bad...

toob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:13 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

vCash: 50
Quote:
Good, Lex, B's fan.
A still giddy one at that, lol....

Quote:
Thomas did not look good vs the Habs.
Overall, I would agree with that.

Quote:
all I'm saying is Price played better than Thomas in round 1, that's it.
I would agree with that as well.

Quote:
Now...Tampa...not exactly the highlight of Thomas' run either. He allowed 5 goals in 4 of the 7 games and was just lucky that Rolo played worse in that 6-5 shootout. He played very well in the other 3 games, no doubt but overall, his consistency was next to zero in that series.
Here I have to disagree.

There was plenty of blame to go around for Tampa's goals in the B's three loses, (even in two of our wins), and while some of it was on Timmy, much more of it was on mental lapses by the D. We could have lost any of those Tampa games by massive blowouts.

The box scores tell very little. Even the "highlights" are misleading. You can watch Tim give up a "questionable" goal, or even a weak one, (or two), from the series, but what that doesn't show is the dozen absolute highway robberies that Tim had pulled off before that....

....ask any Tampa fan, (insert joke here), why the Bruins won. You will get a rant about Thomas robbing them blind in all seven games.

His style is just like that, he will occasionally give up a "softie", but make all the ten bell saves.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
A still giddy one at that, lol....
Hey now, I don't hate intelligent Bruin fans!

....just a shame there's so few of you

Old
07-08-2011, 06:16 PM
double5son10

Not 21st Century, but Roy in '93 was the best performance I've seen in the last 20 yrs. That team was good (103 pts, top 5 in goal differential) had balanced scoring (4 players w/ 80+ pts.) and a young, mobile defense (Desjardins was outstanding; still the only D-man to score a hattie in the Finals). But ultimately that was Roy's show. He was CONSISTENTLY brilliant in all series. In the 20 games he played that year his Save % dipped below .900 in only one game. And remember this is not the "dead puck" era of the later 90s. That season 5 different players scored 60 goals or more. It's a year before Lemaire brought the trap to NJ, and several years before the crazily oversized pads of Giguere and Garth Snow. In 92-93 the top 3 goalies in wins were Barasso, Belfour (winner of the Vezina and Jennings) and Moog, with respective Save % of .901, .906 and .876. Roy's regular season was .894. Roy in those playoff series faced 100 pt. scorers in Sakic & Sundin, LaFontaine and Mogilny (in their finest individual seasons), Turgeon (though admittedly, thanks to that dirtbag Hunter, he was a shell) and a record-breaking Luc Robitaille. And then of course Gretzky, who led the playoffs in scoring. So given the time period, and the fine scorers he faced, to me the fact that his save % was over .900 in 19 of 20 games is astounding and gets my vote.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Soderberg

Quote:
Thomas this year...sorry, I don't see it. A good playoff performance yes but not a great one. I have no problem saying that Thomas' regular season performance is prolly in the top 5 of all time but his PO performance aint even top 10 imo.

And round 1...Thomas was very nearly the reason the Habs won. If not for Bergeron pulling his ass out of the fire, the Habs would of won and Thomas would of been the main goat, that's a fact!
Is that why Timmy would've won Conn Smythe even if the Bruins would've lost? That makes sense. Round 1 the reason the Habs nearly won was because of embellishing, getting PP's, and scoring on them. The Habs didn't score an even strength goal in the last 2 games of the series, 2 of the goals in Game 6 on 5X3. The Bruins won the Cup but I'm still pissed off about the terrible penalty called in Game 7 on Bergeron when his stick doesn't even touch Wiznieksi (I think it was him) he embellishes it, the Habs get a PP in the final minutes and PK scores on the PP to bring it to overtime. Should've never happened. Just happy the Bruins won because I think I would've lost faith in hockey if the Bruins lost because of a Hab embellishment and a Subban PP goal. If we did lose the scapegoat would've been Claude and the Bruins PP.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Soderberg

Quote:

Stats don't always tell the whole story, however you missed the part where Price held the B's #1 line to like 5 points combined through all 7 games. Or not allowing a single PP goal.

Stats aside though, the reason Price outplayed Thomas, that was more than obvious to anyone that actually watched the series, was that Price didn't let in a single stinker. Thomas on the other hand let in a ton of them. Close to half the goals the Habs pop gun offense scored were of the weak variety.
If Thomas had of played up to par, the B's would of won in 5 games at most.
Thomas was the main reason the series even went 7 in the first place and Bergeron was BY FAR the reason they made it out.
Like are you seriously going to argue that Bergeron wasn't by far the best Bruin in the first round
...C'mon!
The Bruins powerplay is dreadful, please don't flatter Price over it. Krejci and Lucic were injured so they didn't perform as well.

That's funny I remember Carey with the game winning assist to Peverley.

Without Tim Thomas the Bruins do not win the Stanley Cup. Simple as that.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthQuaider View Post
The Bruins powerplay is dreadful, please don't flatter Price over it. Krejci and Lucic were injured so they didn't perform as well.

That's funny I remember Carey with the game winning assist to Peverley.

Without Tim Thomas the Bruins do not win the Stanley Cup. Simple as that.
...and without Bergeron, they don't even make it out of the first round.
Oh and Recchi actually got the assist on that goal, he was the one that got a piece of the clearing attempt that luckily went to Peverley.
And do you really want to get into a competition over which goalie let in more weak goals that series....I think not sir heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthQuaider View Post
Is that why Timmy would've won Conn Smythe even if the Bruins would've lost? That makes sense. Round 1 the reason the Habs nearly won was because of embellishing, getting PP's, and scoring on them. The Habs didn't score an even strength goal in the last 2 games of the series, 2 of the goals in Game 6 on 5X3. The Bruins won the Cup but I'm still pissed off about the terrible penalty called in Game 7 on Bergeron when his stick doesn't even touch Wiznieksi (I think it was him) he embellishes it, the Habs get a PP in the final minutes and PK scores on the PP to bring it to overtime. Should've never happened. Just happy the Bruins won because I think I would've lost faith in hockey if the Bruins lost because of a Hab embellishment and a Subban PP goal. If we did lose the scapegoat would've been Claude and the Bruins PP.
Oh never should of happened...you mean like your 3rd goal that game that came off of Hammer getting speared in the throat with no call, the puck going up in the air, getting knocked down by an uncalled Ryder high stick that led to the goal....gotcha.
Guess we're not going to talk about finger boy getting away with the cheap headshot on Halpern either right

Just face it, Timmy just didn't have a very good series, he played well at times and then bam, stinker. Enough with the excuses. Bergeron saved your bacon and Claude's job.
I know Boston had the better team, everyone did but the combination of Price's solid play and Timmy's stinkers allowed that series to go 2-3 games longer than it should of.
Thomas wasn't much better in the Bolts series either. He was all or nothing vs the Bolts and is just lucky that his team bailed him out and Rolo was worse in one of the nothing games.

I told you, I thought he had a real strong finals and I can't say anything bad about the Philly series also mentioning that he stood on his head in game 2.

I love it, I say that Bergeron was the best player on either team in the entire Hab series and you guys want to argue that he wasn't, that Thomas was when he wasn't even the best goalie in that series...joke.

Old
07-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Pretty bad? He gave up a couple softies, but he also made one of the best saves I've ever seen one-on-one against Gionta in the overtime of Game 5. He totally won that series for Boston.

He did not dude, Bergeron won that series for Boston period.

Old
07-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Yeah, I'm not sure how this is that much of an issue and it's part of the problem with goalies like Thomas, Cechmanek, Carey/Raycroft/Theodore and them being a walking feature story. Fans get swept up in it as much as the very faulty media.

Carey Price was better than Thomas in round 1 in no uncertain terms. Philadelphia was horrid for most of the series, Thomas played as well as he had to but that was a very unimaginative performance from Philly - get across the blueline and shoot and ignore the rebound as that would require effort.

Tampa was an up-and-down effort, there were a number of soft goals (VL4's 40-footer that went five hole, no screen or tip, sticks out), he had some robbery...but in typical Thomas style that was a live by the sword, die by the sword series...I'm of the opinion that soft goals weigh more heavily than big saves in a hotly-contested playoff series. With all due respect to game-changing saves, which are no small change either. To a lesser extent than the Montreal series, Boston might have gotten that one despite Thomas' best efforts to some degree. He was good in some games, no question, but it was nothing more than an Osgood performance really on the whole (great defensive team, average goaltending for the victory).

The Vancouver series had a couple of ugly moments, Burrows' two goals early in the series were positively dreadful which cost the Bruins a game that they otherwise could have pulled out. All in all, Vancouver stunk up the joint for long periods in that series (most of the time from games 3-7) but when they didn't, Thomas was there in a big way. Very good Finals performance, which counts the most.

But as has been referenced several times already, this wasn't a playoff performance for the ages really...Thomas wasn't an also-ran like Osgood in 2008, but he's been drummed up to an unbelieveably lofty status by today's media that is so shortsighted that it really blurs the line between professional and fan at this point...and fans (the more casual, the better) have magnified this 100x.

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Roy in 93 no doubt , the overtime factor just show Roy's clutchness in all his beauty.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:01 PM
seventieslord

I merged these two threads as they are pretty much the same thing.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:57 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
He did not dude, Bergeron won that series for Boston period.
Why is anyone mentioning the Gionta save in OT? Just because Gord Miller kept orgasming over it during the Vancouver series? Gionta flubbed it. He didn't lift it. He got not power on it. The replay shows how little Gionta did, had he gotten anything on it, it would've been in.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote