HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Semin to Detroit is now an E4

Old
07-16-2011, 06:30 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
so you are saying he has a person from every team in the league that gives him rumors? again the only he team he has been right about on a "consistent" (for him, but still low) basis is philly. anyone who reads enough knows he has someone with philly, no other team rumors he makes happen though, usually at least.

and i haven't read this in a while and didn't take statistics, but
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...wash_and_buzz/
defend him on philly deals all you want, this isn't one.
Ugh, "success" rate.

You guys use the term success, expecting his rumors to come true.

Not EVERY rumor comes true.

I dont disagree that a lot of what he says is BS, but some thing are actually trades in the works. But for any number of reasons a trade in the works may fall through.

Does that mean Eklund was wrong? No, he still got his information, and he still reported it as a rumor...NOT as a fact. I believe he reserves facts for his "E5s".

That's the problem with the Ekund hate. He makes no secret of the fact that he is just reporting rumors.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Wow that was a hilarious joke! Not predictable at all! How did you come up with that?
Well now everyone knows for sure you aren't him because you predicted something right.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:34 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I got ripped by some Flyers fans when I posted don't be surprised to see Richards being moved this off season, and not to focus on Carter so much, mentioned the dressing room crap, his feud with the media, not on speaking terms with Laviolette, cap hit, and that Philly limped out of the playoffs, anyone with a bit of common sense and who watched Philly in the playoffs knew Snider was going to make changes, starting in goal. I'm not sure what Lebrun said, but I was tweeting these guys Dregs, Mac, Mirtle, Kipper, "is Mike Richards available?" Well before anyone thought it was on the radar.
Not sure if it was you but I recall a poster on the LAK board suggesting that Richards was available a few weeks before the deal. I actually mentioned it to a few friends who laughed at me. When the deal went down I got A LOT of calls and texts asking how I knew!

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:35 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Ugh, "success" rate.

I dont disagree that a lot of what he says is BS, but some thing are actually trades in the works. But for any number of reasons a trade in the works may fall through.

Does that mean Eklund was wrong? No, he still got his information, and he still reported it as a rumor...NOT as a fact. I believe he reserves facts for his "E5s".

That's the problem with the Ekund hate. He makes no secret of the fact that he is just reporting rumors.
Then why report them at all? His site does explicitly state his posts are rumors, so everyone always runs with his BS like it's true.

All of his posts are stuff we could come up with, based on hockey team's needs, players in hot water, etc. An experienced hockey mind could speculate all the stuff he posts, so why does he feel the need to post it at all? His success rate is as good as any one of us, but he somehow gets to make money from it?

Lame.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Interactif

Quote:
This is a great point. People are just so wrapped up in the internet. They want to believe that everything they read WILL come true. People want to think that anything in print is FACT.

Just imagine for a second if Eklund was a radio host and that he saved his twitter accounts for breaking trades and signings rather than rumors. What if he only reported his rumors over the radio or on the TV?

I'm sure people would have a MUCH difference opinion of him then.
I don't know the timeline so I can't verify this, I don't follow him, I quickly found out this guy is a stereotypical carnival worker, he's slim shady, he rigs the game where the squirrel will find the nut eventually. He's got a following obviously and is probably making a good buck, all the power to him, just don't expect intelligent hockey fans to fall for his routine.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:38 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Ugh, "success" rate.

Actually my main problem with his site is the OTHER bloggers. People covering a single team should at least get their facts right. Just this week the PHX writer talks about them having a history of trading 1st rd pick in Wheeler and Mueller. Wheeler left as an UFA didn't he? Also the homerism of some of his writers is too much,... but at least provides a laugh.

Old
07-16-2011, 06:39 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Then why report them at all? His site does explicitly state his posts are rumors, so everyone always runs with his BS like it's true.

All of his posts are stuff we could come up with, based on hockey team's needs, players in hot water, etc. An experienced hockey mind could speculate all the stuff he posts, so why does he feel the need to post it at all? His success rate is as good as any one of us, but he somehow gets to make money from it?

Lame.
See now you're arguing something different.

Now you're arguing that he shouldnt even report these rumors not that we shouldnt take him as a credible source. He could be sitting in the room with Brian Burke and Ray Shero listening to them talk, then post the rumor on his site, only to have the deal fall through.

It doesnt mean that what he said was wrong, just that the deal never got finalized. I dont know about you, but I find rumors pretty interesting. Just because they dont all happen doesnt mean he shouldnt post them on his site.

It just comes down to expectations. People expect that he should be right whenever he reports something. But Eklund himself doesnt expect to be right because he knows what he is reporting. They're called rumors. Not facts!

Old
07-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Interactif

Quote:

Now you're arguing that he shouldnt even report these rumors not that we shouldnt take him as a credible source. He could be sitting in the room with Brian Burke and Ray Shero listening to them talk, then post the rumor on his site, only to have the deal fall through.

It doesnt mean that what he said was wrong, just that the deal never got finalized. I dont know about you, but I find rumors pretty interesting. Just because they dont all happen doesnt mean he shouldnt post them on his site.

It just comes down to expectations. People expect that he should be right whenever he reports something. But Eklund himself doesnt expect to be right because he knows what he is reporting. They're called rumors Not facts!
So he's more of a gossip columnist rather than a hockey columnist. A very important distinction between the 2.

Old
07-16-2011, 06:43 PM
sillygoose

Quote:
Ugh, "success" rate.

i don't expect his rumors to come true, but when he says e4 that means
Quote:
E4 - This rumor comes from more than one source with ties to the players or teams involved.
now it might mean different now, i won't go to his site and give it hits to find out. but don't you think some other reporters would at least hear a scent of this rumor, if he's getting it from multiple sources?
what i am saying is anyone who thinks eklund knows anyone outside of the flyers orginization is wrong. as i posted before, the link came with stats saying that essentially picking names from a hat will be correct more often then him(and that's assuming on my part also he had at least 2 right for flyers deals) btw since he seems to have sources on every team, how come he never gets random re signings mid season? too busy with the trades to care for things that involve 1 team surely.

and yes, i'm sure that it's 97% of the rumors he hears about fall through, not the fact that he makes up 90% of the **** he posts.

sillygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Interactif

Guys it's only Eklund, or is it Ecklund? Not worth getting worked up over.

Old
07-16-2011, 06:44 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
So he's more of a gossip columnist rather than a hockey columnist. A very important distinction between the 2.
As long as you're making the distinction now, I'm glad I got you there.

We made progress today

Old
07-16-2011, 06:45 PM
birddog*

Quote:

It just comes down to expectations. People expect that he should be right whenever he reports something. But Eklund himself doesnt expect to be right because he knows what he is reporting. They're called rumors. Not facts!
Or he could be sitting in his basement (where he's made many a video), playing with his dog (who he's used as a source before), only to make something up to get more hits.

Now what do you think is more plausible? Him sitting in a room with Burke or in his basement where he's filmed many of his videos?

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:45 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post

Lame.
Its because hardcore fans want to get the inside info. I rather watch the CBC Hotstove than Coaches Corner. Guys like Lebrun talk about what they have heard and possible deals. If there was a show on TSN that strictly had guys like Lebrun, BobM and Dreger talking about whats making the rounds in the NHL on the rumor front I'm pretty sure it would have high ratings.

I have seen many rumors on his site that made me laugh. The problem is that there are many fans who are not informed enough to see that some of these deals would never happen. I consider myself an informed fan and usually make proposals based on both teams needs. I have suggested deals like Schenn, Bernier and Voynov for Parise and been laughed at. Then you see the Richards deal go down and wonder how off base my proposal was?

Old
07-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Interactif

Quote:
As long as you're making the distinction now, I'm glad I got you there.

We made progress today
Yeah I watch Star TV to get all my hard hitting factual news.

Old
07-16-2011, 06:57 PM
IafrateOvie34

I have a feeling GMGM is done for now. The next time you see him make a move will most likely be at the trade deadline, if he does anything. After the Alzner resigning, I fully expect he will go vacation.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:05 PM
northernKing

I have heard Poti will go on LTIR so the Caps should be under the cap by about $1-1.5M no?

Old
07-16-2011, 07:06 PM
winger7020

Quote:

Some people just can't comprehend the definition of a RUMOR.

winger7020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Ross Rhea
Nathan Flomm

can't believe there are still people that follow eklund. It's like an NHL rumors version of Jonestown.

Ross Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:11 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

dictionary results
ru·mor
   [roo-mer] Show IPA
–noun

1.a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts: a rumor of war.

2.gossip; hearsay: Don't listen to rumor.

3.Archaic . a continuous, confused noise; clamor; din.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:39 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless Logic View Post
Update: this rumor has been upgraded to a G6.

As additional information trickles in, this trade is now closer to an L7.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:42 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
As additional information trickles in, this trade is now closer to an L7.

You just sunk my battleship!

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:49 PM
thekernel

why detroit? semin seems mercurial.

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 08:49 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Leaving Eklund's credibility to one side, I don't think there's a lot of room for a Wings-Caps trade involving Semin. There is simply no reason for Washington to unload a 40-goal scorer for a couple of middling pieces and futures. Especially at this point, after free agents have been snapped up and there is nobody out there to fill a 2nd line goal-scorer's role. So, I think it's a safe bet to assume that, at the very least, the Caps would demand someone with clear 20+ goal pedigree as the primary return, and that guy needs to not be ancient (i.e. Holmstrom).

I have a hard time seeing how McPhee doesn't fixate on Franzen, and I have an equally hard time seeing how Holland can give up a really good player on a great long-term contract for a streaky guy on a 1-year deal.

Anything's possible, but I have a hard time seeing McPhee taking a Dan Cleary -- who is solid but is not a guy who can carry a 2nd line scorer's role -- or a Jiri Hudler -- who had one blip season but seems to have regressed in the past 2 years. And there's nobody else.

One other possibility would be getting a 3rd team involved who has someone Washington wants and would be interested in Detroit's futures.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 08:58 PM
i2edAlien

I would love to see Semin in a the winged wheel.

i2edAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:52 PM
HawkinMI

Detroit's going to have to give up at least one solid roster player, if not two for Semin. I doubt McPhee is interested in the Wings' draft picks, especially the first because at the lowest it'll be in the 16-20 range. It may be an upgrade to where the Caps end up on the board this year, but maybe not. Plus, the Caps are interested in winning now, not 5 years from now.

Semin may be scary on Datsyuk's wing, but I can still see him having huge stretches where he disappears entirely and Datsyuk has to do everything himself. He seems like the kind of guy that if you try to whip him into shape it will have the reverse effect. He's got some character issues for sure, so Detroit needs to know what they're getting here. If he stays healthy and fairly consistent he's a PPG player, but he may be carrying some extra baggage.

I've said from the beginning of these Semin proposals that the two teams make awful trading partners right now. Really, Detroit makes an awful trading partner with anyone not trying to rebuild or not overpaying drastically to get Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Eklund may know just about nothing in most cases, but you never know.

I think it'll have to be Filppula +. I don't think the Wings have too many pieces the Caps are interested in.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote