HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Off-season Thread Part III (pre-season schedule w/TV in #472)

Old
07-11-2011, 09:44 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 500
Brayden Schenn was on That's Hockey today and said he started his off-season in Toronto working with Gary Roberts.

No word on whether or not other young Flyers had done the same.

07-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Brayden Schenn was on That's Hockey today and said he started his off-season in Toronto working with Gary Roberts.

No word on whether or not other young Flyers had done the same.
He has been working with Roberts for a while, we knew about it in LA for over a month before the trade. We were all very excited about it, expect big results from it, all he needs is some more physical development and he should be ready to not only play in the NHL, but succeed.

Anyway, I came here to post this disappointing, but mildly funny tidbit I found searching for Kings shirts on Google:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CJQBEPICMAg

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:34 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
He has been working with Roberts for a while, we knew about it in LA for over a month before the trade. We were all very excited about it, expect big results from it, all he needs is some more physical development and he should be ready to not only play in the NHL, but succeed.

Anyway, I came here to post this disappointing, but mildly funny tidbit I found searching for Kings shirts on Google:

They forgot to add "West." ****ers on google don't know ****.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

I met him on monday without the pads and he's ripped.

In other news, looks like we may have a game (or 6) for Shelley to dress for next season. Devils signed Cam Janssen and Eric Boulton to go along with Clarkson and whatever other bruisers they have...

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:36 AM
lancer247

Most Devils fans are saying this means Clarkson is gone. I didn't think his play fell that much. Maybe they need to move his $ to sign Parise.
I always liked the guy. Maybe Nodl for Clarkson?

Bottom 6:
Clarkson - Schenn - Simmonds
Sestito - Holstrom - Talbot
Shelley/Betts

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:19 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Most Devils fans are saying this means Clarkson is gone. I didn't think his play fell that much. Maybe they need to move his $ to sign Parise.
I always liked the guy. Maybe Nodl for Clarkson?

Bottom 6:
Clarkson - Schenn - Simmonds
Sestito - Holstrom - Talbot
Shelley/Betts
That is a nice bottom six, but i think this team likes nodl for his ability to PK. Can Clarkson do that?

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:56 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1079
http://mainlinemedianews.com/article...f915410734.txt

Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers star James van Riemsdyk, at the Villanova Pavilion Friday evening for Flyers Night at the Freedoms, was having a great time before the match, signing autographs and promoting Flyers Charities.
Quote:
Asked about the Flyers’ stunning recent off-season trades, van Riemsdyk replied, “When you see some moves like that, obviously you’re a little bit surprised, but the [Flyers] management has done a great job pushing buttons, and while it’s tough to see some of your former friends and teammates go, you have to trust the decisions the management makes, and just worry about the things you can control.”

JVR is looking forward to playing with newly-acquired Jaromir Jagr.

“I think [Jagr] is one of the best players to have ever played the game, and he’s been doing it for a long time as well, so obviously he’s got a great knowledge of the game of hockey. I was able to play against him in the World Championships, and I think he lit us up for a hat trick when he was over there, so hopefully he can have a few of those for [the Flyers].”

The Flyers star also is looking forward to getting back on the ice this fall.

“Obviously, we didn’t have the ending to our season that we wanted in the playoffs, and you’ve got that extra-deep burn in your stomach that you want to get out there as soon as you can,” said van Riemsdyk. “With all the off-season moves we’ve made, it should make training camp that much more exciting, so we’re excited to get things started on the right foot [for the 2011-12 season].

“With each game I played [last season], I felt more comfortable out there, and I learned things that made me more successful – I definitely think I learned a lot last season.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

That's another person that isn't devastated that Richards or carter have gone. I really don't think they were liked

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:35 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
That's another person that isn't devastated that Richards or carter have gone. I really don't think they were liked
It looks more like JvR is keeping to the corporate response. I don't read into it that he thinks it's a good thing Richards and Carter are gone.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It looks more like JvR is keeping to the corporate response. I don't read into it that he thinks it's a good thing Richards and Carter are gone.
Thats my point though. They have all given generic responses. No one has made a fuss at all. Nit like when upshall left for example.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:51 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
I have a feeling that the general feeling in the "room" when the team was doing well with Carter and Richards at the helm was loose and fun. But when the team was doing bad and all eyes were on them, it was a quiet, uncomfortable feeling. I've been there with struggling teams before on the high school level where you wish there was more work ethic, and instead the leaders are out partying...and Richards is skipping out on practices.

Now with the veteran presence of Pronger, Briere, Timonen, Jagr, and Bryz...plus the youth of the team who desire perfection, it should be more comfortable in whatever situation this year...

Old
07-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Thats my point though. They have all given generic responses. No one has made a fuss at all. Nit like when upshall left for example.
That is actually a really good point. I mean they just traded the two most iconic Flyers of the past 6 years , one of which was the captain and not a single voice has questioned the decision. Very odd. I can guarantee if this happened to any other team there would be a public outcry from the players.

Old
07-16-2011, 03:01 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
That is actually a really good point. I mean they just traded the two most iconic Flyers of the past 6 years , one of which was the captain and not a single voice has questioned the decision. Very odd. I can guarantee if this happened to any other team there would be a public outcry from the players.
Yeah the very fact that everyone seems to be willing to give the corporate response and tow the line without hesitation is pretty telling. You'd think that if Richards and Carter were critical to team chemistry there would be a few more players questioning the decision. I know a lot of guys might not say it in public but with the sheer amount of public exposure and the way they get bombarded with media coverage you'd think something would slip from someone about how they weren't comfortable with Flyers trading away two of their best players but so far... nothing.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Yeah the very fact that everyone seems to be willing to give the corporate response and tow the line without hesitation is pretty telling. You'd think that if Richards and Carter were critical to team chemistry there would be a few more players questioning the decision. I know a lot of guys might not say it in public but with the sheer amount of public exposure and the way they get bombarded with media coverage you'd think something would slip from someone about how they weren't comfortable with Flyers trading away two of their best players but so far... nothing.
I suspect if we hear anything it will come this fall. Its summer now and everyone is away from the team. We are bound to hear something from somebody's side soon enough.

Old
07-16-2011, 04:07 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
In terms of on-ice chemistry, they've been pretty bad the passed couple years. When Knuble left, the RW spot became a dumping ground for the extra forward on the team (Nodl, Powe, Carcillo) to go along with Gagne and Richards...and when Gagne left, it seemed to be downhill from there. I think most of the forwards on the team saw SOME time on Richards' wing last season.

As for Carter, the guy has a near perfect playing style as a winger, with good defensive precense...but he never played thw wing well. He hasn't had great chemistry with many players since he'd been here. His best line last year was with JvR and Zherdev. That may have been our BEST line all season, unfortunately with Zherdev in and out of the lineup, it was gutted after just a few games.

As for off-ice chemistry, most of the rumored voids in the locker room seemed to have come from the younger players on the team. Again, with Richards skipping practices with "head colds" when he should he the face of the franchise and an icon in the locker room for the younger players... it wasn't a great match. Now we have guys who know they play hockey for a living. With Richards and Carter...sometimes it just seemed like hockey was a hobby and a paycheck.

Old
07-16-2011, 08:43 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
In terms of on-ice chemistry, they've been pretty bad the passed couple years. When Knuble left, the RW spot became a dumping ground for the extra forward on the team (Nodl, Powe, Carcillo) to go along with Gagne and Richards...and when Gagne left, it seemed to be downhill from there. I think most of the forwards on the team saw SOME time on Richards' wing last season.

As for Carter, the guy has a near perfect playing style as a winger, with good defensive precense...but he never played thw wing well. He hasn't had great chemistry with many players since he'd been here. His best line last year was with JvR and Zherdev. That may have been our BEST line all season, unfortunately with Zherdev in and out of the lineup, it was gutted after just a few games.

As for off-ice chemistry, most of the rumored voids in the locker room seemed to have come from the younger players on the team. Again, with Richards skipping practices with "head colds" when he should he the face of the franchise and an icon in the locker room for the younger players... it wasn't a great match. Now we have guys who know they play hockey for a living. With Richards and Carter...sometimes it just seemed like hockey was a hobby and a paycheck.
You really overexaggerate or at the very least take ridiculous liberties with hearsay you assume to be true.

Based off what Homer and Snyder said after the trade it seems like mgmt decided Lavy was their guy and they wanted the faces of the team to have the same attitude. Richards and Carter didn't sweat games until March. Lavy sweated every shift like it was game 7.

Richards and Carter played hard but weren't going to hold team mates accountable for a bad game in Dec. This would have been a clash every season with Lavy and with the NTCs for 8-9 yrs something would have had to give. Mgmt decided they would move them now while their value was highest.

Some times young super stars think because they can turn it up when they want other players can do the same so they don't see the urgency of leaning on guys on a Wed in Nov. That's the risk of having a young capt'n.

Regardless, now Lavy has guys in place to deliver his messgae.

Old
07-16-2011, 08:47 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
You really overexaggerate or at the very least take ridiculous liberties with hearsay you assume to be true.
what am i over-exaggerating exactly?

Old
07-16-2011, 09:18 PM
lancer247

Quote:
what am i over-exaggerating exactly?
99 perxent I agree with you. Your last sentence about playing for a paycheck or hobby is extreme when you consider not only were they top players on the Flyers but were coveted by their country's Olympic team in a gold or nothing setting. You don't reach that level of acheivement treating the game as a hobby. Richards played on Canada's most consistent line and Carter was first reserve if Staal couldn't go.

Hockey was a hobby to a guy like Daigle.

Old
07-16-2011, 09:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Curious, is there a reason why we haven't given Couturier an ELC? Is it because we are at 50 contracts? Or too early?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:40 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Are you kidding? Have you ever been at a job where someone got fired? How did people react when they knew their reaction would get back to their bosses? You say as little as possible and you never, ever say anything about the bosses/owners if it has a chance to get back to them.

Also, it's not like JvR has ever said anything remotely controversial.

Just curious, what do you expect players to say publicly if they don't agree with the trades?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:47 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Are you kidding? Have you ever been at a job where someone got fired? How did people react when they knew their reaction would get back to their bosses? You say as little as possible and you never, ever say anything about the bosses/owners if it has a chance to get back to them.

Also, it's not like JvR has ever said anything remotely controversial.

Just curious, what do you expect players to say publicly if they don't agree with the trades?
This is why I posted way back that I'd love to hear an interview with Timonen. Among all of the Flyers, I'd most expect him to be candid. JvR isn't in a position to be critical of Holmgren.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:14 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
99 perxent I agree with you. Your last sentence about playing for a paycheck or hobby is extreme when you consider not only were they top players on the Flyers but were coveted by their country's Olympic team in a gold or nothing setting. You don't reach that level of acheivement treating the game as a hobby. Richards played on Canada's most consistent line and Carter was first reserve if Staal couldn't go.

Hockey was a hobby to a guy like Daigle.
Ah, ok. Yeah that was a reach for sure...but sometimes that's what it seemed like to them, through my eyes. Either way, I hope to see better from our new core.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:32 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Ah, ok. Yeah that was a reach for sure...but sometimes that's what it seemed like to them, through my eyes. Either way, I hope to see better from our new core.
i think we will if only because of competition to play. the bottom 6 may not be great but there should be 9 guys fighting for 4 spots (if you include a 13th forward).

if you figure schenn, talbot, simmonds are set that leaves

incumbents:
shelley, betts, nodl

rookies:
sestito, testwuide, holstrom, rinaldo, read, wellwood

Hopefully betts is 100% but if he still struggles with his knee and shoulder I would like to see Holstrom get a shot to center the 4th line.

Old
07-17-2011, 03:07 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Curious, is there a reason why we haven't given Couturier an ELC? Is it because we are at 50 contracts? Or too early?
With Bacashihua and Kalinski we're at 50 contracts, I believe.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:11 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
With Bacashihua and Kalinski we're at 50 contracts, I believe.
We signed Kalinski?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote