HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Bowman confident in his young centers

Old
07-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Smart business is making the most of your assets like available players and cap space. Frugal business is not paying those players their market value, the arbitration award, when you can afford to.
So overpaying is a great thing for you? It's going ot get us a cup? No. I would rathe rhave the space for later at trade deadline. rather than overpaying for the sake of overpaying a 5/6 who was mediocre in the system. Notice no team he came from wants his ass either. Yeah. That's a real good spend of 3MM.

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:26 PM
BobbyJet

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=HossTheBoss;35093587]Campoli doesn't push us over the top, so why throw a **** load of money at him? He's a 5th/6th Dman on this team, he's not worth it. His departure doesn't significantly worsen us, just like if he had been signed he doesn't make us significantly stronger.. He's a depth guy, and he was replaced at a far more reasonable price by a player who's capable of playing a simular game.

And we don't have to be a Cup-or-bust team anymore, so following Tallon's plan of throwing **** loads of money at players that aren't worth it isn't going to cut it anymore.[/QUOTE]

I see. So we save money for what exactly? I know it's a business but this reaks of the bottom line taking precedence over going all out for a SC run. And anyone who thinks bringing in a soft 800 K dman who was essentially ignored by every other team is going to replace Campoli, is dreaming.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:34 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Overpaying on a one year contract isn't going to burn us at all. Even if Campoli is overpaid at $3 million, people have shown the calculations that we could acquire something like $9 million in salary at the deadline.

Being a hardass in negotiations with Campoli does nothing to strengthen this team unless they can trade him for a better player.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Recoil

You guys are making it sound like we didn't want to spend extra money to retain Duncan Keith. Keep it in perspective people, we are talking about a 5/6 DMan for crying out loud.

The money we saved on him can be used many ways:

1) Extending Sharp
2) In-season trade
3) Signing Ben Smith next offseason (or mid season this year) who is on the last year of his EL contract.

We are already tossing an extra $1.5M - $2M at Olesz than he deserves, and paying $5M to let Huet play in Europe. This team doesn't need to add another overpayment right now. I'm sure Lepisto will do fine, and if he struggles, we have O'Donnell, or even a Rockford call-up to put in his place. This is what is called HAVING DEPTH. It's a good thing. Step back off the ledge please. It's going to be OK...

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:46 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I see. So we save money for what exactly? I know it's a business but this reaks of the bottom line taking precedence over going all out for a SC run. And anyone who thinks bringing in a soft 800 K dman who was essentially ignored by every other team is going to replace Campoli, is dreaming.
And anyone who thinks throwing alot of money at a 6th Dman who wasn't even going to be qualifed by one of the worst teams in the entire league can't be replaced easily, is dreaming.

I don't know what we're saving the money for, all I know is we're good enough right now to go on a SC run and being able to say that without spending to the upper limit is supposed to be a good thing. We have alot of breathing room, why is that a bad thing? With Sharp and Smith both needing extentions this year and Leddy/Kruger needing new extentsions following the 2012-13 season, I'm good with having extra cap space. Throwing a whole lot of money at someone, or giving up alot of quality assets in a trade doesn't guarantee you'll win a Cup, and like I said, considering we're already good enough to compete, what's the point?

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Recoil

BTW how did a discussion about going cheap on Campoli and letting him walk creep into a thread about Bowman having confidence in our young Centers anyway?

Old
07-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

Because some people think Campoli's 3MM is the ticket to the promised land.

Old
07-16-2011, 07:37 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Because some people think Campoli's 3MM is the ticket to the promised land.
NO. Campoli came in last year and almost immediately found chemistry with this team. He probably had visions of settling here and being part of of a great young team. I felt the same ... and that he would really come into his own after a tough playoff series ... and lets be honest he wasn't going to get 3M through arbitration. No, I think Stan and Rocky took this opportunity to take a stand and tell all the young players and veterans alike, that this is still a business and the bottom line takes precedence. Maybe there is more of the old man in Rocky than we were led to believe.
But that aside, for Stan to come out and say what he did, when he did, is self-defeating.

Last edited by BobbyJet: 07-16-2011 at 07:56 PM.
BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:14 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
NO. Campoli came in last year and almost immediately found chemistry with this team. He probably had visions of settling here and being part of of a great young team. I felt the same ... and that he would really come into his own after a tough playoff series ... and lets be honest he wasn't going to get 3M through arbitration. No, I think Stan and Rocky took this opportunity to take a stand and tell all the young players and veterans alike, that this is still a business and the bottom line takes precedence. Maybe there is more of the old man in Rocky than we were led to believe.
But that aside, for Stan to come out and say what he did, when he did, is self-defeating.
Yeah, no doubt..

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:16 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Yeah, no doubt..

Yup, keith, kane, and toews are going to get shipped out to save money

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Yup, keith, kane, and toews are going to get shipped out to save money
Well at least Winnipeg doesn't have a soft Russian center we can trade Toews for

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:00 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Well at least Winnipeg doesn't have a soft Russian center we can trade Toews for*
*yet

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Recoil

Quote:
I don't buy that at all. Not with him allowing Huet to get buried in Europe for 2 years to the tune of over $10M. Sorry, given that fact alone means that your comment doesn't hold up.

But I do agree that maybe Bowman was sending a message...and why not? Campoli is a 5/6 defensemen. If he was top tier talent, that would be one thing. But he's not. Sure, he fit in well here from the start. But the bottom line is HE AND HIS AGENT priced himself out of Chicago. No way is $3M+ a reasonable number for him. They were trying to take advantage of the fact the Hawks have now had cap space, and as far as I'm concerned, that entitles Bowman and management to take a hard line. You mess with the bull, you get the horns. It's that simple. Campoli and his agent gambled and lost.

Lets not turn this into more than it was. They made a bluff, the Hawks called. The Hawks had the better hand. End of story.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:08 AM
EmeticDonut

People need to calm down about this Campoli situation. I'd like to see him back, but if he isn't then no big deal, he is not the player that will make the difference for this team. I'd rather have players who wants to be a Hawk and Campoli clearly sees himself more important than that, otherwise he would take what he is worth.

And so what if the Hawks don't spend to the cap, there are other teams as well that will have a couple of millions available. And looking at the current FA crop, it's hardly surprising that some thought it would be best to stay put. There is absolutely no point in throwing big money and term at marginal players at best, just because you can. You don't get any bonus points if you spend to the cap.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:51 AM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
People need to calm down about this Campoli situation. I'd like to see him back, but if he isn't then no big deal, he is not the player that will make the difference for this team. I'd rather have players who wants to be a Hawk and Campoli clearly sees himself more important than that, otherwise he would take what he is worth.

And so what if the Hawks don't spend to the cap, there are other teams as well that will have a couple of millions available. And looking at the current FA crop, it's hardly surprising that some thought it would be best to stay put. There is absolutely no point in throwing big money and term at marginal players at best, just because you can. You don't get any bonus points if you spend to the cap.
You also don't get any points in the standings for your cap space. Considering the margin by which we were a playoff team last year, I think you can understand why some of us are nervous about the frequency with which this offseason has given us "Well, that's probably a slight downgrade this year, but it's very cap-friendly."

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:41 AM
EmeticDonut

With the capspace they can now at least try to address any shortcomings if they arise, which has not been possible the last couple of years. The main problem of this team was the lack of grit and toughness, this has now been addressed. They are also defensively responsible players. They also added some upgrades on the bottom pairings of the defense or do you consider Cullimore, Hendry and Boynton being better than the guys brought in this year? Offense was not a problem with the Hawks last year, a lack of grit and defense was. And this has been addressed and just normal seasons by Seabs, Keith and Hammer ought to sort out the defense also.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:57 AM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
With the capspace they can now at least try to address any shortcomings if they arise, which has not been possible the last couple of years. The main problem of this team was the lack of grit and toughness, this has now been addressed. They are also defensively responsible players. They also added some upgrades on the bottom pairings of the defense or do you consider Cullimore, Hendry and Boynton being better than the guys brought in this year? Offense was not a problem with the Hawks last year, a lack of grit and defense was. And this has been addressed and just normal seasons by Seabs, Keith and Hammer ought to sort out the defense also.
The primary problem was Seabrook, Keith and Hjarlmarrson, imo. I've never bought into the "grit and toughness" thing. Those three getting back to normal is more important than anything we did or could have done in the offseason.

Old
07-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
The primary problem was Seabrook, Keith and Hjarlmarrson, imo. I've never bought into the "grit and toughness" thing. Those three getting back to normal is more important than anything we did or could have done in the offseason.
Quoted for truth.

Old
07-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Well at least Winnipeg doesn't have a soft Russian center we can trade Toews for
Burmistrov

would love to have him - but not for Toews

__________________________________________________ ______

and we are talking about Campoli.... CAMPOLI.... Chris ****ing Campoli.

don't waste your time talking about him

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
You also don't get any points in the standings for your cap space. Considering the margin by which we were a playoff team last year, I think you can understand why some of us are nervous about the frequency with which this offseason has given us "Well, that's probably a slight downgrade this year, but it's very cap-friendly."
We have an option now to upgrade at the trade deadline. When was the last time that was an option? With most teams up against the cap it puts us in a position most teams don't have. I would rather have the space than blow 3MM on Campoli. The only fear is Rocky having a little Dollar Bill in him and wanting to pay off the 'loan' quicker. But we shall see.

Old
07-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Hawksfan2828

I don't understand why wingers who are good at draws just cant take the draw and transition to wing during their shift.

One of the more important aspects of being a center is taking draws, however that doesn't mean a lousy centerman on the draw cant be outstanding in other aspects of the duties.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
I don't understand why wingers who are good at draws just cant take the draw and transition to wing during their shift.
for example

Dubinsky takes the draws for the Rangers and then goes back to play LW

Old
07-17-2011, 11:41 AM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
We have an option now to upgrade at the trade deadline. When was the last time that was an option? With most teams up against the cap it puts us in a position most teams don't have. I would rather have the space than blow 3MM on Campoli. The only fear is Rocky having a little Dollar Bill in him and wanting to pay off the 'loan' quicker. But we shall see.
I see a weak UFA class coming up, a high cap and a lot of teams who figure to be at least marginally competitive this year. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing it could be an extreme sellers' market for midseason talent, with little available.

Old
07-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

we don't need a lot options. We need 1-2 players that help us and we have enough assets to overpay and offer more than others would do.

we don't need impact players, we need good role players. These could be had

Old
07-17-2011, 11:51 AM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
we don't need a lot options. We need 1-2 players that help us and we have enough assets to overpay and offer more than others would do.

we don't need impact players, we need good role players. These could be had
We aren't short on role players, either. We may not *need* another impact player, but outside of maybe a No. 3/4 defenseman, I'm not sure how much another role player can help us. And if we're lucky with Leddy, we won't even need that defenseman.