HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 24th Man/Odd Man Out

Old
07-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Recoil

vCash: 500
With our re-vamped 4th line, I think Scott brings no value to the team. All he did for us AT BEST was be a deterrent to other teams when it came to taking swipes at our star players. Scott would go out there and try to beat the piss out of someone. Granted, not many guys would actually throw down with him, which was a problem, but that's what he did. His PRESENCE kept other teams at bay.

But that's all he did. He couldn't skate --- he looks like a sheep trying to walk on its hind legs. He can't shoot a puck --- God, how many sticks did he break trying to execute a simple slapshot last season? He can play marginal defense at best. He really brings no value to the team with our 4th line of guys who can bring an edge and toughness and also have some skills.

I wasn't on board with the Carcillo signing at first...but I'm warming up to it. Contained, he could be a great force/deterrent for the Hawks, but he also has some offensive skills as well. GREAT for the 4th line.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
It's too hard to tell. I know Bowman loves Stalberg, but Scott is a liability, but if Wirtz agrees to pay extra money with Olesz down, it's an enticing thought that the Hawks could have a lot of cap space for Bowman to make big improvements to the team during the year. We could get some extremely talented players right now, but with Olesz in the AHL, man, Sharp coming back is an absolute lock/done deal.
It is crazy!!! Rusty with his 3,4M in AHL?! NO WAY

Registry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:25 AM
HMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
With our re-vamped 4th line, I think Scott brings no value to the team. All he did for us AT BEST was be a deterrent to other teams when it came to taking swipes at our star players. Scott would go out there and try to beat the piss out of someone. Granted, not many guys would actually throw down with him, which was a problem, but that's what he did. His PRESENCE kept other teams at bay.

But that's all he did. He couldn't skate --- he looks like a sheep trying to walk on its hind legs. He can't shoot a puck --- God, how many sticks did he break trying to execute a simple slapshot last season? He can play marginal defense at best. He really brings no value to the team with our 4th line of guys who can bring an edge and toughness and also have some skills.

I wasn't on board with the Carcillo signing at first...but I'm warming up to it. Contained, he could be a great force/deterrent for the Hawks, but he also has some offensive skills as well. GREAT for the 4th line.
Didn't Scott have a game where he broke like 3 sticks in 1 period? or 3 sticks in 3 shifts or something like that.

HMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

what about Campoli?

trade him for 2nd

ODon as #6 and Scott as #7

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMP View Post
Didn't Scott have a game where he broke like 3 sticks in 1 period? or 3 sticks in 3 shifts or something like that.
Yea that's what I was thinking of. It wasn't the only game be broke sticks though. Happened a lot more than it should have.

Old
07-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
what about Campoli?

trade him for 2nd

ODon as #6 and Scott as #7
Bowman's going to need to make a pretty big upgrade at the trade deadline. I think the plan is to bring Campoli back and it should be. There's no defensemen at the end of his contract who would really be availabe, in my opinion. The only guy is Tim Gleason.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:00 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMP View Post
Not his fault he's a meast and sticks are made of weak composite.

I could see him having a 110mph slapper if he could ever shoot the puck without snapping his stick first.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:32 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

I think it is quite obvious that (barring injuries, which are impossible to predict) there is no room on this roster for John Scott. Despite the rhetoric we hear from Stan and Q, surely they see the same thing.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Not his fault he's a meast and sticks are made of weak composite.

I could see him having a 110mph slapper if he could ever shoot the puck without snapping his stick first.
size definitely plays a big role in cranking out fast shots... but if your form is bad and you don't position yourself correctly, it likely won't break 90. Scott is one of those guys.

Maybe he gets lucky but I doubt his slapshot is anywhere near the speed of someone like Hossa, Sharp, Toews or even Kane. They're fundamentally sound when it comes to shooting and that's why Scott doesn't have a good shot. That's the reason why he breaks his sticks... not because they're composite (which are actually pretty strong)

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Bowman's going to need to make a pretty big upgrade at the trade deadline. I think the plan is to bring Campoli back and it should be. There's no defensemen at the end of his contract who would really be availabe, in my opinion. The only guy is Tim Gleason.
I would love Gleason

Old
07-15-2011, 05:28 PM
LandofLincoln

odd man out

odd man out
Campoli

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:33 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

I now have the haunting feeling that Scott will still be around, which is ridiculous.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:34 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I now have the haunting feeling that Scott will still be around, which is ridiculous.
lol watch him start the year as the 6th dman.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
lol watch him start the year as the 6th dman.
I just threw up in my mouth a little. Thanks.

Old
07-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I don't get all this player hate

Old
07-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I don't get all this player hate
Me neither. Our roster is much better than last year's in almost every facet. Comparable to the 08-09 roster in some ways. Haters gonna hate?

I think we finish anywhere from 3-5 yet make a strong push in the playoffs.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:00 AM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Me neither. Our roster is much better than last year's in almost every facet. Comparable to the 08-09 roster in some ways. Haters gonna hate?

I think we finish anywhere from 3-5 yet make a strong push in the playoffs.
I think we finish in that area too, but I don't think we're better than last year's squad (which I think was way better than its seed and finished at the very bottom of its range of possibilities). Not a ton worse, but a bit worse.

Comparable to the 08-09 roster? Who do we have that's holding the value of Ladd and Campbell to that squad? I can easily see Brunette replacing Byfuglien and Frolik replacing Versteeg, but Ladd and Campbell is a bit tricker.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
I think we finish in that area too, but I don't think we're better than last year's squad (which I think was way better than its seed and finished at the very bottom of its range of possibilities). Not a ton worse, but a bit worse.

Comparable to the 08-09 roster? Who do we have that's holding the value of Ladd and Campbell to that squad? I can easily see Brunette replacing Byfuglien and Frolik replacing Versteeg, but Ladd and Campbell is a bit tricker.
FWIW I am hoping a young Jeremy Morin cracks the roster at some point this season and gives us a newer version of Andrew Ladd.

Old
07-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Leddy will be better than last year