HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Crystal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2011, 12:27 PM
  #26
LordRamsay
Come out and flay
 
LordRamsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,278
vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrrad View Post
I doubt there is a bigger Leafs fan on Toronto radio than Kouleas. If you bothered to listen to him at all over the years it should be painfully obvious.



I remember that show. No doubt that he was saying that stuff to get the phone calls coming in, but I agreed with him. I think the point he was trying to make was he wanted the Leafs to be a pseudo-contender like the Habs have been the last few years. What's wrong with wanting your team to play meaningful games for a change? I guess any criticism of the Leafs is trolling now.
lol ok buddy, I've listened to him lots...he's never come across to me as a Leaf fan.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:13 PM
  #27
TrueBlue86
Registered User
 
TrueBlue86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrrad View Post


I remember that show. No doubt that he was saying that stuff to get the phone calls coming in, but I agreed with him. I think the point he was trying to make was he wanted the Leafs to be a pseudo-contender like the Habs have been the last few years. What's wrong with wanting your team to play meaningful games for a change? I guess any criticism of the Leafs is trolling now.
well saying you want our team to be like the pens, sure, or the wings

habs are a borderline playoff team, and won't make it deep without miraculous upsets year after year

sure, that'd be an upgrade over where were're at but it's not a huge one
i don't know if too many leaf fans would be overly satisfied with out ream being just like the habs


as for the trolling comment, it's general rips he takes at the team
ever hear him talk about dion?
remember, he always has to qualify his statements with 'i'm a leaf fan, unlike bobcat'
well krystal, if you didn't tell us you're a leaf fan, most of us would have never guessed

his whole act is to be a 'shock-jock', a howard stern type
i don't know how well that goes at a sports radio station


Last edited by TrueBlue86: 07-13-2011 at 02:19 PM.
TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:41 PM
  #28
beleaf1967
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
This guy was so brutal on the air. He would just poke fun at everything to get a rise out of people. I had to listen to Dan Patrick while this guy was on the air.

Glad he is gone.

beleaf1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:20 PM
  #29
lyrrad
Registered User
 
lyrrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
as for the trolling comment, it's general rips he takes at the team
ever hear him talk about dion?
remember, he always has to qualify his statements with 'i'm a leaf fan, unlike bobcat'
well krystal, if you didn't tell us you're a leaf fan, most of us would have never guessed

his whole act is to be a 'shock-jock', a howard stern type
i don't know how well that goes at a sports radio station
Obviously it doesn't go over too well ahahaha

I agree with you, he is a "shock-jock" type. But I still believe he was a true Leafs fan. Even if he is the type that thinks the team can do nothing right. He certainly did slag on the captain whenever he got a chance. To his credit though, when Dion started playing better, he started to acknowledge him in a more positive light.

lyrrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
  #30
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett
 
LeafsGuru93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TORONTO
Country: Greece
Posts: 5,226
vCash: 500
so because of his "inability to maintain an audience" (article's words) he was let go? That's not fair... I mean people do work & aren't always near a radio.

__________________
It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:17 PM
  #31
unstuck
Registered User
 
unstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Argentina
Posts: 2,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
he was to much like Mccowan and Mccown's act got old long time ago

you can only have one negative ****
Then why is Jeff Blair still on the air?

unstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:24 PM
  #32
Cmillz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,383
vCash: 500
Doesn't matter what this station does, as with most Rogers content, it's dated and getting crushed by TSN. I really hope these guys don't get a hold of MLSE...or it's doom.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:48 PM
  #33
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
What happen to him, don't hear him on the radio anymore?
The only one missing Krystal is a Habs fan.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:08 PM
  #34
JumboJoe19
Hank027
 
JumboJoe19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 662
vCash: 500
I actually really like krystal in the 1 pm slot. right now they have Gord Stellick who is complete garbage form 12 - 2, the Eric Smith from 2-4. Its come to the point where im actually switching over to 1050 during those hours. smith isnt too bad but stellick is just awwwful. stellicktricity my ass, get off the air!

JumboJoe19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:29 PM
  #35
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
Doesn't matter what this station does, as with most Rogers content, it's dated and getting crushed by TSN. I really hope these guys don't get a hold of MLSE...or it's doom.
The fan is actaully dominating TSN in the ratings.

Brady 6.5 vs Richards 1.0

Jeff Blair 5.6 Bryan Hayes 0.5

Hockey Central 5.5 vs. That’s Hockey 0.6

Andrew Krystal 3.4 vs. Dan Patrick 2.5

Prime Time Sports 10.2 vs. Cybuslki & Co. 1.2

7pm -10pm 6.4 vs. Tatti 0.8

10pm-1a 4.5 vs TSN Radio 0.9

The only one that was even close was Krystal, which is why he is no longer there. Just didnt perform.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrrad View Post
I agree with you, he is a "shock-jock" type.
I didnt even find him that 'shocking'. I found him rather dull. "Should the Leafs trade Kaberle" is hardly shocking. I have heard smarter sports people in my office.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:09 AM
  #36
The Nic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
I didn't even find him that 'shocking'. I found him rather dull. "Should the Leafs trade Kaberle" is hardly shocking. I have heard smarter sports people in my office.
This... it just doesn't make for very compelling radio when you can hear more carefully thought out points of view at work around the water cooler.

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:24 AM
  #37
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,028
vCash: 500
I stopped listening to the Fan entirely as I prefer every single person on TSN Radio, including Patrick, to all of the Fan people. Had no idea Krystal was fired but I'm not surprised, the guy was brutal. The only thing that shocked me was the ratings between the Fan and TSN, I can't believe how badly TSN is doing. I find them to be younger, smarter and a lot more articulate than the jaded people at the Fan. The only one I'm not crazy about is Cybulski.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:42 AM
  #38
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
The fan has been around for 15 years or more. TSN radio is only 6 months old if that.

Give them time.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:04 AM
  #39
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
I'd switch to TSN radio in a heartbeat if it were more entertaining than the Fan. I've tried it, it has mediocre on-air personalities and amateur production qualities. However the rear-end kicking they've received from the Fan is greater than I would have ever expected. Is some of this a result of the larger coverage area of the Fan?

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:21 AM
  #40
Landeskog
Registered User
 
Landeskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Burlington,On,CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
TSN has a radio station? Funny, because nobody seems to listen.

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:25 PM
  #41
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
I'd switch to TSN radio in a heartbeat if it were more entertaining than the Fan. I've tried it, it has mediocre on-air personalities and amateur production qualities. However the rear-end kicking they've received from the Fan is greater than I would have ever expected. Is some of this a result of the larger coverage area of the Fan?
The fan is establsihed, and has been a fixture for 15 years. 15 years ago there where other radio stations that where handing it to the Fan, they grew and got better.

Standing alone, TSN Radio is head rating wise where they projected, but just not beating the fan, which was a statement made by another poster.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:38 PM
  #42
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Mr Krystal would perhaps still have a show if he hadn't said what he said about the President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:18 PM
  #43
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
Mr Krystal would perhaps still have a show if he hadn't said what he said about the President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs
What did he say? (And since when does anyone at the Fan lose their job for something they said about anyone at MLSE?)

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:29 PM
  #44
WoratCase*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrrad View Post
I doubt there is a bigger Leafs fan on Toronto radio than Kouleas. If you bothered to listen to him at all over the years it should be painfully obvious.
In real life Kouleas is a huge Habs fan. They used to break his balls about it on the old Hardcore Sports.

WoratCase* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:37 PM
  #45
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
Mr Krystal would perhaps still have a show if he hadn't said what he said about the President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs
He doesnt have a show anymore because his ratings where awful compared to every other time slot. He was getting worse ratings then overnights.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:54 PM
  #46
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
What did he say? (And since when does anyone at the Fan lose their job for something they said about anyone at MLSE?)
oh that little comment about how Burke wasn't able to do his job properly because of the distraction his son's death caused and how that distraction was hurting the team. Which IMHO went way past the bounds of propriety


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
He doesnt have a show anymore because his ratings where awful compared to every other time slot. He was getting worse ratings then overnights.
Yep they were horrible no doubt, but Burke was very unhappy and has a lot to say about access to the team and players........eventually Burke was coaxed back on the air with his pal the Bobcat after Krystal was removed from the morning slot.

While I do agree the ratings were the final straw, he went somewhere he shouldn't have gone and his bosses probably didn't appreciate the call that they got from MLS&E. Bobcat as much as he liked Krystal also didn't like what was said about Burke's supposed distraction and said so on the air. While a lot of peeps on here may not like the Bobcat he carries a lot of weight on that station and has some pretty close ties within MLS&E, ties he wouldn't risk for a guy like Krystal

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:22 PM
  #47
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
While I do agree the ratings were the final straw, he went somewhere he shouldn't have gone and his bosses probably didn't appreciate the call that they got from MLS&E. Bobcat as much as he liked Krystal also didn't like what was said about Burke's supposed distraction and said so on the air. While a lot of peeps on here may not like the Bobcat he carries a lot of weight on that station and has some pretty close ties within MLS&E, ties he wouldn't risk for a guy like Krystal
If that comment was in fact an issue, they would not have put him back on the radio for months afterwords. I dont think Burke cared one way or another about Krystal, just as he didnt care one way or antoher for Burger. It was a performance issue with Krystal, simple as that.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
  #48
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
If that comment was in fact an issue, they would not have put him back on the radio for months afterwords. I dont think Burke cared one way or another about Krystal, just as he didnt care one way or antoher for Burger. It was a performance issue with Krystal, simple as that.
yes because firings of high profile public types happen so quickly......look how long it took the NHL to push Campbell off the plank after Email gate

business is sometimes seen as impersonal and in some respects it is but in the arena of broadcasting and sports it is full of so much unbelievable animosity and egotism it's almost sad.....I guess with Wilbur downing the kool-aid today that only leaves Simmons as the lone voice in the widerness decrying MLS&E, me thinks it may be sooner rather than later for that boy



Who'd ever a thunk it, the big smoke being a company town....lol

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:40 PM
  #49
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
How bad does The Fan look? They keep bringing back guys they let go, and their new hires are flops.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:55 PM
  #50
Jordan
Registered User
 
Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
How bad does The Fan look? They keep bringing back guys they let go, and their new hires are flops.
They at least got one right by landing Jeff Marek. He'll be good for them.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.