HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Kevin Dineen to be named Panthers head coach

Old
05-31-2011, 05:38 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It does pose an interesting side-bar... are there any of Dineen's guys who can/will follow him? Mancari's Group VI and could be a good tranisition player for them if he's solid with Dineen. Ditto UFA's like Ellis or Stuart -- there is likely opportunity for high-character, high-motor players to sprinkle into the Cats lineup of kids.
This was my first thought as well - not an important one, but definitely crossed my mind, specifically Mancari.

Good for Kevin, though.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:38 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
McCutcheon went from AHL head coach to NHL assistant, I doubt he'd want to go backwards.
Its quite possible he could. Me and Bakes were talking on Twitter today and we both thought its entirely possible Cutch could join the scouting dept as well

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
It does pose an interesting side-bar... are there any of Dineen's guys who can/will follow him? Mancari's Group VI and could be a good tranisition player for them if he's solid with Dineen. Ditto UFA's like Ellis or Stuart -- there is likely opportunity for high-character, high-motor players to sprinkle into the Cats lineup of kids.
Since Ruff has always praised his efforts and been willing to use him more than most teams would a waiver-wire pickup, I would think that Ellis feels a little more loyalty to Ruff and Regier than he would with Dineen.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Anyone think Boughner would be interested in the Amerks/Pirates job?

I don't know which I'd rank higher: AHL head coach or NHL assistant.

Thoughts?
He'll likely be in Detroit as an assistant or behind the bench in Windsor. (Or just up in the owners' box making Jones nervous... good.)

Last edited by Chainshot: 05-31-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:05 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Ah alright on the Boughner situation. Thanks guys.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:23 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Response one .... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Response two .... good for him

Response three .... Now who are the Pirates errr Amerks going to get?
+1.

Sad to see him go. He did an outstanding job for the Pirates.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Clock

My sadness in seeing him leave is secondary for my happiness that he got a gig in the big leagues. Congrats, Kevin! Thanks!

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:26 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I'd think Weinrich would be the likely replacement in Portland, regardless of whether or not our affiliation continues with them, no? He gets a lot of credit for the development of the players, from a lot of the correspondence I read.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
My sadness in seeing him leave is secondary for my happiness that he got a gig in the big leagues. Congrats, Kevin! Thanks!
Goes for me too.

I'm quite proud of him for earning a shot in the show. Well deserved.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Ghills23

Great choice. Should be an interesting team to watch. Best of luck.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Nice, if I had to pick a team for him to go to it would be the Panthers. Now I get to see him a bunch next year.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Tachycineta

Congrats to Dineen. I'm glad he's moving on and feels the time is right to try the NHL and I hope he does well. I'm grateful for what he did for Portland, Anaheim and Buffalo.

And Florida has a nice crop of youngins coming with Gudbranson, Bjugstad, Howden, Markstrom, Robak et al and the youngins on the team like Bergfors, Ellerby, Kuli, and Garrison. He'll be a great mentor for them.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Its quite possible he could. Me and Bakes were talking on Twitter today and we both thought its entirely possible Cutch could join the scouting dept as well
That would be an interesting move as well. It also depends on what his exact contract status is with Buffalo. He may be an employee of the franchise but he may not be necessarily locked into the Associate Coach job and they could assign him to the AHL, or the scouting department or wherever, at their discretion.

I've never been the biggest fan of what McCutcheon provides but I think he'd proven himself in his first stint with the Amerks and would have no problems with him, or Patrick, coaching the AHL team. He's been with the Sabres since 2001, with the organization since 1997. Patrick's been an assistant since 2006 and has been with the organization all but two seasons since 1998. Personally I think Ruff could benefit from a new voice on the bench. Of course, they could just as easily create a new Assistant Coach position.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:43 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Congrats.. Although IMO don't see him lasting there more then a season or two that organization is not heading in the right/good direction ..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Congrats Kevin!!! Now we just need to find a replacement...

How about this guy?

or this guy?

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

How about this guy?

How about not?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:22 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

How about this guy?

No, Nada, Nope, Not interested, Run away!

or this guy?

Is there any evidence that Patty is good at coaching and/or he would even want to coach? Does he coach ... any hockey on any level?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:09 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I'd like to see Boughner replace him..

Myabe Barnaby can work out a work/release program ..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Is there any evidence that Patty is good at coaching and/or he would even want to coach? Does he coach ... any hockey on any level?
Pat coaches his son's team. They were in town for a tournament about a month before the Alumni event

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Panthers introduce Dineen as new head coach
Published on: 1st June, 2011 by Chris Roy

Quote:
Everybody who had a connection in one form or another with Kevin Dineen knew this day would eventually come.

It’s been a day in the making for some time, but it’s finally here as the now-former coach of the Portland Pirates was announced today as the new head coach of the Florida Panthers.
Link>>>>

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
I'd like to see Boughner replace him..

Myabe Barnaby can work out a work/release program ..
You may have missed it, but Boughner resigned from the Jackets because he missed his family. He's part owner of the Spits and unless he takes a job with the Wings -- which given his comments about how hard it is having 4 kids under 14, seems thin stuff at best -- he's not going to take an AHL gig and be even further away from them.

Old
06-02-2011, 10:59 AM
joshjull

Quote:
You may have missed it, but Boughner resigned from the Jackets because he missed his family. He's part owner of the Spits and unless he takes a job with the Wings -- which given his comments about how hard it is having 4 kids under 14, seems thin stuff at best -- he's not going to take an AHL gig and be even further away from them.
Its a part of the game many of us forget at times. The impact on families. I couldn't imagine leaving my family for long stretchs like that. I would miss them terribly and it would be an incredible strain on my wife.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 01:14 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

That's why I doubt Weinrich goes to Rochester... He moved back to Maine to spend more time with his kids. He could very well be the head coach in Portland under a new affiliate or remain in the shadows of a new head coach as an assistant.

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
That's why I doubt Weinrich goes to Rochester... He moved back to Maine to spend more time with his kids. He could very well be the head coach in Portland under a new affiliate or remain in the shadows of a new head coach as an assistant.
He's been good at grooming the Sabres blueline prospects and that alone should merit plenty of interest from whoever winds up as the Portland affiliate.

Old
07-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
New coach Kevin Dineen was expecting the Florida Panthers to add some players in the offseason. Admittedly, he didn't expect the combination of trades and free-agent signings that brought about a dozen new faces to the Panthers' roster, many of them high-profile names.
Quote:
We spoke with him on Thursday about the Panthers' offseason; the chemistry challenges new players present; his coaching style; his goaltending; what he learned from being rejected from other gigs; and three questions that speak to our obsession with the Hartford Whalers, and probably yours as well.
Quote:
Q: In talking to Dale Tallon at the draft about the acquisition of Brian Campbell(notes), he said that it was partially done because he wants this team to play an up-tempo, offensive aggressive game. Does that fit with your coaching style?

A: Yes, it does.

When you're coaching in the AHL, you usually have to mirror your parent team's system. Well, you know, when I'm working with the Anaheim Ducks and they have Chris Pronger(notes) and Scott Niedermayer(notes) at the points, sometimes that's not always easy to do.

Over the last couple of years, the Buffalo Sabres scouts have done a really good job of drafting speed and skill. Coaching the players that I did, that was the kind of up-tempo game that we had.

I'm not stating exactly how we're playing. You can get pigeonholed into saying things like "we're going to be a high-pressure team." But we have high-end speed, and we're going to take advantage of that.
Quote:
Q: Let's go back to you getting this gig. You've been up for NHL jobs before, as a finalist for the Columbus Blue Jackets opening in recent years; is there anything you learned having gone through this process that you think put you over the top for this job?

A: When you go through that you know, you go about your business, you come in, you do your work. A lot of times, I respect what the players do and kind of lean towards talking about the players a lot. I think what that process does is that it makes you have to verbalize how you run your business. I think that's what it did for me: Made me able to verbalize how we did things in Portland; and how I worked with Brian Burke and Bob Murray in Anaheim and with Darcy Regier in Buffalo.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp9177

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote