HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Support for the Islanders!? Vote Yes!

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2011, 11:51 AM
sbjnyc

vCash: 500
I assume you mean aside from Islander games .

We're talking about major acts here. Major events mean lots of people with $$$ and Long Island is extremely popular with concert promoters precisely because it has a large, wealthy demographic and is relatively easy to get to. Just look at all the events that have been booked there over the last few years even with 2 arenas in NJ and the Garden. There's abuot 2.7 million people in Nassau and Suffolk, which combined is more than in Brooklyn. Plenty to support a hockey team and a slew of major events. Those 2 counties could probably suppport a 3rd MLB and NFL team (how LA hasn't had an NFL team in 15+ years is just crazy yet it's essentially due to the same issues being faced here).

And also, don't forget that with the NHL/NBA season lasting about 8 months in a good year, it can be very tricky to book MSG for an event. And just like the Isles and Devs aren't the Rangers, the Nets are not the Knicks. I'm sure they'll do well there in the beginning but if the Knicks are any good no one will care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by incident View Post
As an outsider I don't really have a strong opinion on this, but there's something I don't quite understand.

Where are all these extra events needed to pay for the new Coliseum going to come from?

By the time the building opens, there'll be high quality competition from a fully refurbished MSG, a brand new arena in Brooklyn, and a relatively new arena in Newark - all of which are surely more desirable venues for a major concert etc.

Promoters aren't going to put Naasau on their tours simply because it's a new building, especially when there's an equally new and better located option within acceptable travelling distance. In that situation, the most obvious way of attracting events would be to offer the promoters better terms, but with 11.5% on all income guaranteed to the County, that option is all but gone.

Old
07-17-2011, 11:59 AM
incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Yea they will. It's not like they have never got an event not hockey related when arenas like MSG, Prudential Center, or Continental Airlines Arena were open.
I'm not saying that they won't attract anything at all. Of course they'll still get some events - but in most cases (and especially for the more lucrative events) surely they're likely to be a 3rd or 4th choice venue.

They're talking about needing extra events in the new building to pay for it - I'm interested to know how they're going to achieve this when the costs of running in Nassau will likely be higher (due to the county taking 11.5% of everything), and at the same time the there'll be more, better, and closer competition than they've had before?

Old
07-17-2011, 12:14 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

A big band (Chili Peppers, Metallica, Radiohead, etc.) or even these new horrible pop stars like Gaga, Katy Perry ,etc. is going to try and maximize profits and play the NYC area with as many dates as possible.

If the Garden is booked, they'll go to Nassau, Izod, Barclays, etc. Also, for people like me who would rather see a show on a Thurs/Fri night because a job can take advantage and force to people to work more hours in this crappy economy (ie. I start at 7:30), if it comes down to a Tuesday at MSG or a Thursday at Nassau, I'm going to the later. A lot of people are in my boat.

This helps attract people.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:36 PM
incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
A big band (Chili Peppers, Metallica, Radiohead, etc.) or even these new horrible pop stars like Gaga, Katy Perry ,etc. is going to try and maximize profits and play the NYC area with as many dates as possible.

If the Garden is booked, they'll go to Nassau, Izod, Barclays, etc. Also, for people like me who would rather see a show on a Thurs/Fri night because a job can take advantage and force to people to work more hours in this crappy economy (ie. I start at 7:30), if it comes down to a Tuesday at MSG or a Thursday at Nassau, I'm going to the later. A lot of people are in my boat.

This helps attract people.
Sure, and all that is equally true at the moment. But it doesn't in any way answer my question.

What I want to know is how they're going to attract the extra shows they claim they'll get/need when:
- The 11.5% of everything going to the County will make the venue less financially attractive than at the moment.
- There'll be more, closer competition (and date availability) in the area.

Again, not saying they won't attract events - just interested to know how they're going to attract extra events compared to the present levels when the changing market conditions would suggest it's only going to get more difficult.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

It's not that I hate the Islanders, its just that I hate how they make NY look. And with the Rangers, Knicks, Jets and Giants all doing pretty well in comparison, the Islanders havent been productive in years. So I would vote no and let you guys relocate somewhere, where your presence would be cherished not hated.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:52 PM
sbjnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by incident View Post
Sure, and all that is equally true at the moment. But it doesn't in any way answer my question.

What I want to know is how they're going to attract the extra shows they claim they'll get/need when:
- The 11.5% of everything going to the County will make the venue less financially attractive than at the moment.
- There'll be more, closer competition (and date availability) in the area.

Again, not saying they won't attract events - just interested to know how they're going to attract extra events compared to the present levels when the changing market conditions would suggest it's only going to get more difficult.
NVMC gets the top acts now despite being a dump. I think it's a given that a modern arena in the same place would generate more revenue. Why do you think MSG is getting renovated again (hint: it's not about giving us STHs better site lines).

Old
07-17-2011, 12:53 PM
sbjnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
It's not that I hate the Islanders, its just that I hate how they make NY look. And with the Rangers, Knicks, Jets and Giants all doing pretty well in comparison, the Islanders havent been productive in years. So I would vote no and let you guys relocate somewhere, where your presence would be cherished not hated.
Are you implying something about the Mets?

Old
07-17-2011, 12:54 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjnyc View Post
NVMC gets the top acts now despite being a dump. I think it's a given that a modern arena generate more revenue. Why do you think MSG is getting renovated again (hint: it's not about giving us STHs better site lines).
A broken down MSG would generate far more revenue than a top of the line NVMC.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Enough. Islanders fans, this is the Rangers board. Accept that some of our users hate your team and don't care if you move. Can't handle it? Well, then take your cause elsewhere.

Closed Thread