HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larsson signs three-year ELC without individual bonuses

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
I agree with Jim. Volchenkov is a 3/4 dman, nothing more. He is a great hitter and shot blocker but the rest of his d is just solid and nothing more. He is overpaid by $1-1.5m and to make it even worse, we already had White who is better at playing d and Sal who plays a very similar game, at the time of the signing. That's over $10.4m spent on defenseman who lack any sort of offensive talent.

Old
07-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

vCash: 500
White really is criminally underrated around here. Volchenkov might be the better all around player, but White's shutdown abilities are second to none on this team.

Old
07-17-2011, 11:40 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
White really is criminally underrated around here. Volchenkov might be the better all around player, but White's shutdown abilities are second to none on this team.
Oh I definitely love Colin White. Even when he was in everybody's doghouse, I refused to hate on him. The guy is ridiculously underrated. No doubt about that at all.

I just feel at this given time, Volchenkov is being given the same unfair treatment.

Old
07-17-2011, 11:45 AM
JimEIV

Making pretty arrows requires some delicate painting.

Old
07-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean Devil 23 View Post
Oh I definitely love Colin White. Even when he was in everybody's doghouse, I refused to hate on him. The guy is ridiculously underrated. No doubt about that at all.

I just feel at this given time, Volchenkov is being given the same unfair treatment.
Well yeah, such is HFBoards. It's all about "what have you done for me lately", which is a legitimate question in some cases.

Volchenkov is a very, very good #3 option on most teams in the NHL and a solid #2 option when paired with a stud. Glad we have him, and I hope he can stay healthy this year.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:00 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Volchenkov, Tallinder, White and a lesser extent Greene are all solid defensemen. They aren't elite nor are they poor. The issue last year was not only did we not have that elite defensemen, but compounded that missing piece by having other cheap poor defensemen. The result was those guys mentioned had to play more than they should normally and couldn't really cover for them. You can get away with having a Fraser, Corrente, Taormina, or Magnan in the lineup if you have a Chara or Pronger type that can carry the exta load and play 26-27 minutes thus limiting the minutes for that bottom group. If you don't you are in trouble because guys ice times get stretched to what they can't handle and it opens up holes.

If we had 2 other defensemen like Volchenkov, Tallinder, White and Greene where three pairs can play roughly equal minutes then you have a solid defense. Coming into this year right now it looks like one hopes Larsson can be decent and fall into that level as well as Fayne taking a step forward into that group or Salvador being fully healthy and regaining his spot in the group. The you would have 3 pairs each logging 17-23 minutes of ice time and no one getting extended.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Devs4L

I'm not even going to touch comparing our d-men from last year. Our team was a mess in more ways than one for at least half a season. It's pointless comparing players. Plus, haven't we learned by now that it sometimes takes a while for our newly acquired d-men to adjust?

Paired with the right defenseman, Volchenkov has the ability to round out a top pairing, IMO. Plus, he's the kind of defenseman whose worth is ultimately proven in the playoffs when the battles in your own zone become more intense, and especially since lately the playoff's for the Devils have been a "lets run Marty"-fest for the opposing team.

He's a warrior, and brings a combination that you need on your defense, and that if we didn't have him we'd have none of in our top 6.

I also agree that White is underrated by us. There's a glaring difference on d in the games that he's out of the lineup compared to when he's in, that I'm surprised more people can't see.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:37 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
wookin pa nub in all da wong paces, wookin pa nub.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:45 PM
The Grinder
No Respect

I honestly don't think I can really say what type of defensmen Volchenkov is judging by last seasons performance alone. Besides the freakish start and constant injuries I never got a feel for Volchenkov and his game.

Give him another year before we figure out how overpaid he is.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:52 PM
VaxjoDevil

White has the advantage of having played for this organization his whole career, that is a little part of why he comes out on top of every comparison with the new guys. Not trying to take away anything from him, though.

Old
07-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Old
07-17-2011, 12:58 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Volchenkov View Post
I have absolutely no clue what this is saying

Old
07-17-2011, 12:59 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Old
07-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Get out of here with that nonsense. Clearly this thread is no longer about Larsson.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Im fletching arrows and not really giving this thread full attention.

Didn't mean to ignore you.
Oh, all good then. But really, you should be proud of yourself. You`ve earned a lot of respect in here. Why am I saying that? The reason why we kept this discussion alive is your "Volchenkov is barely #4" statement...

...it took you about an hour to say "he`s #3/4". Guess what, you`re the one who people agree with, who gets credit for saying that. Twice! Interesting, but whatever. Good thing we`ve come to the conclusion.

Have a good archery practice!

Old
07-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean Devil 23 View Post
My point is, TOO MANY people are going by what they saw from him LAST YEAR.
What else are we expected to go by? You can only rely on someone's track record to a certain extent. It's not like I want the guy to suck... I would love it if he started playing like a shut down #3 defenseman but I certainly don't expect that to happen.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

VOlch will show his worth in the playoffs. was a beast in 06 for OTT and had a pretty good playoffs years following

Old
07-17-2011, 01:30 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkball7 View Post
What else are we expected to go by? You can only rely on someone's track record to a certain extent. It's not like I want the guy to suck... I would love it if he started playing like a shut down #3 defenseman but I certainly don't expect that to happen.
So you're saying Kovy is nothing but a 30 goal guy and should therefore be treated as such?

So you're saying that Brodeur is a worthless scrub who can't even play at .500?

So you're saying Zajac has little to no offensive talent ?

EVERYONE had a bad season last year. Maybe Volchenkov is the scapegoat now since he's the new guy, but come on.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:33 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
the whole team will rebound next year and build off the momentum of the 2nd half. this was a minor suck year and everyone was affected. it wont be the same this coming season. thank jeebus.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:38 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

Well, I think the time has come...definitely in need of a lock up.

abo - my lambs?

Closed Thread