HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line combos after 9/18 Game

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Sens4Cup

vCash: 500
Line combos after 9/18 Game

Here's what I could figure out of line combos in listening to the game:

Bochenski-Spezza-Heatley
Havlat-Smolinski-Alfredsson
Schaefer-Fisher-Neil
Varada-Vermette-McGrattan

Phillips-Chara
Redden-Volchenkov
Ward-Meszaros

So what do people think of these lines if these remained the same for opening night?

Bochenski, Spezza and Heatley played really well it seemed, with Spezza getting 3 points and Bo and Heater with 2 each, 2 assists for Heater and a goal and an assist for Bo.

The Havlat-Smolinski-Alfie line seemed to create a good amount of offense and definitely had alot of good chances. Alfie seems to be shooting more this year, so perhaps he'll return to his 37 goal form of 2001-02.

I liked the line at the end of the game of Fisher-Vermette-Schaefer, as it's a line that's quite fast, tough and can create offense.

Our tough guys seemed to school the Maple Leafs, and McGrattan could be a guy that could play in key brawling type games, like with the Leafs, or the Flyers.

Overall I'd be very happy with Meszaros and Bochenski making the team, as they've both shown they can score against top competition, and didn't make any real rookie mistakes.

Any other opinions?

Old
09-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup
Here's what I could figure out of line combos in listening to the game:

Bochenski-Spezza-Heatley
Havlat-Smolinski-Alfredsson
Schaefer-Fisher-Neil
Varada-Vermette-McGrattan

Phillips-Chara
Redden-Volchenkov
Ward-Meszaros

So what do people think of these lines if these remained the same for opening night?

SNIP

Overall I'd be very happy with Meszaros and Bochenski making the team, as they've both shown they can score against top competition, and didn't make any real rookie mistakes.

Any other opinions?
Neil on the third line scares me. I don't think he skates well enough to play above the fourth line. I like Neil but he's strictly 4th line, IMO.

Bochenski and Meszaros played one game against a preseason Leafs squad sitting half their team. I like that they played well. However; they still have to perform through the rest of camp to earn a spot.

Training camp games get more difficult as the lesser players get cut and the vets start taking things more seriously. Meszaros and Bochenski have to do the job until the end of camp to prove they deserve to be in the NHL.

It is a great start for the pair. Meszaros is certainly going to make Schubert earn a spot.

Old
09-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Sens4Cup

Also Varada's injury, depending on the seriousness could open up a spot on the fourth line. Perhaps that could allow us to bring in Kelly either as the 4th line LW or C, depending on where Vermette ends up.

Old
09-19-2005, 04:44 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Bochenski and Meszaros played one game against a preseason Leafs squad sitting half their team. I like that they played well. However; they still have to perform through the rest of camp to earn a spot.
The best compliment I can offer Mesz is that I didn't notice him much, if at all all game. Shows he did his job and didn't look out of place. His goal was pretty but I was too busy being pissed off at Domi to fully appreciate it.

Old
09-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I watched the game... blown away by how perfect your lineup is already!!! Those lines are correct. I would keep Meszaros up. Pothier in the other spot, Ward can shuffle in and out and be the 4th line forward some nights.

There isn't much of a role for a 4th line in the new PP-filled style of game, but with versatile guys like Varada and Vermette who can move around and kill penalties, you're in an ideal situation.

Not really impressed with Emery, and it's fair to be doubtful about Hasek, but with the rest of the lineup looking like it does, you might not need them.

Old
09-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11
The only regulars that would have added anything that sat out for the leafs were Tucker, Allison Belfour and Kaberle. It only looked like half the team was missing because their stars O'Neil, Domi, McCabe and Stajan were invisible and Lindros was a non-factor! Sundin was the only guy that stood out for the leafs. AntroPROVE had a couple of nice plays but made a lot of mistakes out there. It looked like he was trying so hard to show he could throw his weight around he forgot there was a hockey game going on.

Old
09-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Haven't really followed Sens training camp buzz. What's the word on Eaves? I thought he might make an ideal 3rd line winger.

Old
09-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie
The best compliment I can offer Mesz is that I didn't notice him much, if at all all game. Shows he did his job and didn't look out of place. His goal was pretty but I was too busy being pissed off at Domi to fully appreciate it.
I was at the game and focused on Meszaros and McGrattan so maybe that is why I noticed them more, but IMO Meszaros played himself on the team and pushed Poithier back to Bingo. He only made 1 serious mistake that led to the leafs scoring chance late in the 3rd but otherwise played a very solid 2-way game. His goal was right in front of me and it was laughable to see all those leafs standing around like pylons (really put the crowd out of it at that point except to jeer at us when we broke out in a long and hearty laugh).

Lance Ward also showed me he could be on the team. He played steady in limited ice time and his 1-punch knock-out of AHL tough guy Hoffman was a highlight. Who said this guy can't fight!

Neil had some PK time and with Schaeffer made the leafs PP look like......well peepee. I don't think the leafs had control of the puck for more than 10 seconds on that one.

McGrattan also saw time on the PK and did not look out of place. His tilt with Belak was the best fight I have seen in a very very long time. A very small edge to McGrattan based on the # of punches but Belak got the take down.

I thought Emery looked shaky in the 1st but made some highlight reel saves in the 2nd and 3rd. He looked absolutely awful on the "sample" shoot-outs. BingoSensFan was not kidding when he said he stinks on those. I suspect any game that goes to shoot-outs will have Hasek in nets or coming off the bench just to take the shots or its lights out.

Redden had a good game...made some great outlet passes taking advantage of the slow footed leafs and the invisible red line. He and Charra played a lot of minutes. At one point they were paired together (Chara on RD Redden on LD) and let me tell you...this is a combo we may see more of particularly late in a close game. They were great together. On the other hand I was not that impressed with Chara on the wing on the PP. It did not look like he added much there but I would give it another chance to see how it goes.

Fisher and Havlat looked in mid season form. Vermette played a very strong 2-way game. Smolinski and Schaeffer were cycling the puck really well and Alfie....well he was Alfie.

Can someone who heard the game on TV or on the radio hear an explanation on why Havlat was announced as the starting Centre then Spezza was on the blue line for the anthem to be replace by Havlat for the opening face-off to be replaced by Spezza as soon as the draw went back to the leafs blue line? What the heck was all that about? I assume Murray screwed up his opening line-up card.

Old
09-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
Can someone who heard the game on TV or on the radio hear an explanation on why Havlat was announced as the starting Centre then Spezza was on the blue line for the anthem to be replace by Havlat for the opening face-off to be replaced by Spezza as soon as the draw went back to the leafs blue line? What the heck was all that about? I assume Murray screwed up his opening line-up card.
Yup. Paddock messed up the opening line-up card by writing #9 in for centre (since that's what Spezza wore in Bingo) instead of #19. Murray went out and explained it in the paper this morning, taking the blame for it himself because he didn't double-check it. The Sens just didn't want to take the penalty by starting Spezza instead of Havlat when they could just have Havlat take the face-off and head to the bench.

Old
09-19-2005, 12:17 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Did he win the faceoff at least?

Old
09-19-2005, 01:19 PM
The Big Rig

no lindros won the faceoff.

Old
09-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Are there any pictures from the Sens/Leafs game yesterday? I wanna see Heatley fully decked out in Sens gear

Old
09-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Platapie

Quote:
His goal was right in front of me and it was laughable to see all those leafs standing around like pylons (really put the crowd out of it at that point except to jeer at us when we broke out in a long and hearty laugh).
Not hard to make us look like pylons when we're busy yelling at Refs. He played a good game but perhaps your over-emphasis on watching him has lead you to jump to a bit of an overly optimistic impression. Like I said the goal looked fantastic, but when you realize that Domi was yelling at the ref and that Aubin should have stopped the shot, it becomes merely decent. This is not to take anything away from his game, he played solid and looked better then your top 3 D-Men which I found relatively flat given their considerable talent. I'm sure that will be rather temporary though.

Old
09-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Gus Fring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
Are there any pictures from the Sens/Leafs game yesterday? I wanna see Heatley fully decked out in Sens gear

go to tsn.ca/nhl and watch the leafs sens report vid and you could see a vid there and btw he look really happy in the interview afterwards something i havent seen much of from him lately

Old
09-19-2005, 05:22 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie
Like I said the goal looked fantastic, but when you realize that Domi was yelling at the ref and that Aubin should have stopped the shot, it becomes merely decent.

Yeah, because those 3 players were the only 3 on the ice.

Old
09-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Borky

Let's just say I really like that Spezza line.

Old
09-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Yeah, because those 3 players were the only 3 on the ice.
No need to roll your eyes because someone disagrees the play was all that fantastic. My apologies, clearly we should all bow down.

Old
09-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Habsaku

Those lines look awesome, thats all there is to it. The only upgrade I'd look for is Smolinsky and Hasek. If the Sens could get something like a Legwand on the 2nd line and a more reliable goalie, watch out .

Old
09-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
Haven't really followed Sens training camp buzz. What's the word on Eaves? I thought he might make an ideal 3rd line winger.
We haven't really heard much about Eaves since the rookie camp, but I think he's been pretty average in camp. He'll probably get to play this weekend in a pre-season game, so we'll have a better idea then. With the injury though, to Varada, he has a better chance of getting some time in with the big club, although there are a couple other guys he'll have to fight with for it.

Old
09-20-2005, 12:02 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 1300
Meszaros is making it very difficult on the management to send him down. That means he will be paired with Pothier (guaranteed spot on a one-way contract) - which kind of sucks. Meszaros needs to be paired up with a stay at home defenceman. Ideally, he should be paired with one of Chara, Redden, or Phillips but it looks like top-4 pairing are Chara-Phillips and Redden-Volchenkov. And Volchenkov deserves to be in the top-4.

Unless he really stinks it up the next few games, the 5th/6th defensive role is Mez's to lose.

Closed Thread