HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Smith has turned Pro

Old
07-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
They're both in Wisconsin...what's the difference?
Spoken like a true Knoxville Predators fan.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
That's just it we already have 20+ Craig Smith type players (Spaling, Geoffrion, Halischuck, Bourque, Thang, ect.). We are going to have 4 3rd lines eventually. Why have him turn pro a take another redundant roster spot in Milwaukee?? When he could continue his education and continue to develop for free.
I don't see it that way. I just think they would prefer him to continue his development with our coaches. If he gets some TOI with the bigs then it's a bonus.

On a side note...does anybody wonder just how different our forward prospects would look outside of the trotzy system that is engrained in their heads so early on. I don't mind the system, I actually prefer it, but I can't help but wonder.

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Compare Craig Smith and Colin Wilson, there are both similar except Smith is more of a goal scorer than Wilson. Both also went to the Worlds after there sophomore year in college. Wilson did nothing while Smith was named the 2nd best player on the team.

I am excited to see what the kid can do, I think he will go to Milwaukee but he is NHL talent.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:02 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
They're both in Wisconsin...what's the difference?
I remember a player called up or reassigned with the Predators, and the first news item posted was from some Swedish paper. The Google translation called the Admirals the 'Canadian Farm Team Milwaukee' or some such. I think the player was Canadian and google translate was confused when both were used in the sentence. But it was still funny. I could see calling Texas (Or New York or California) a foreign country, but Wisconsin?

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:10 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I remember a player called up or reassigned with the Predators, and the first news item posted was from some Swedish paper. The Google translation called the Admirals the 'Canadian Farm Team Milwaukee' or some such. I think the player was Canadian and google translate was confused when both were used in the sentence. But it was still funny. I could see calling Texas (Or New York or California) a foreign country, but Wisconsin?
The best part is we don't even border Canada. It's amazing, I've gone to Portland and Tucson to visit family and when people ask where I'm from (yeah, I have the accent, sue me ) I tell them Wisconsin and they talk about what it must be like living on the Canadian border.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Compare Craig Smith and Colin Wilson, there are both similar except Smith is more of a goal scorer than Wilson. Both also went to the Worlds after there sophomore year in college. Wilson did nothing while Smith was named the 2nd best player on the team.

I am excited to see what the kid can do, I think he will go to Milwaukee but he is NHL talent.
The biggest difference is that Craig Smith has made major improvements in his skating since being drafted, while Colin Wilson has not...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:47 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The biggest difference is that Craig Smith has made major improvements in his skating since being drafted, while Colin Wilson has not...
And another difference is Craig Smith is a month and a half older than Colin Wilson if the online info is correct that he was an overager when drafted. So comparing their college careers (Smith may be more of a goal scorer, but had just two extra his sophomore season versus Wilson, while being two years older.) and world championship appearances could also take that into account. Think Colin Wilson would have impressed at this summers prospect camp? Maybe Wilson would have done better on the World's team this past spring (at about the same age as Smith) than he did two years ago.

I have been a slightly disappointed with Wilson's rather static skating level, as before his first year he talked in an interview about working on it a lot in the off-season and doing drills given by a skating coach. So I figured if he worked hard at it he'd improve each year, yet it appears about the same.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-14-2011 at 11:58 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:59 PM
predfan24

I watched a few US games during the WC's and Smith was very very impressive and I got really giddy about him. He looked very confident and made it seem like he knew he not only belonged on that ice but could be one of the best players in the game. He was creating tons of chances. For a college player playing against older professionals that is impressive. I'm excited about this move. Could really end up being one of the under the radar things that we will look back on at the end of the season and realize we didn't realize how important it was.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:01 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
I think the Preds have higher hopes for him then that... he was one of the best players for Team USA at the WC not looking out of place at all playing with Stepan and Wheeler... he even finished second in team scoring.

Perhaps the thinking is he can step into a top six role and look good.
What he said.

Smith was on Team USA playing with and against many NHL players. He looked fine out score and was very highly praised. College is not the place for his development.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:57 AM
MattPreds37

Quote:
He must've made major strides considering he was a "Career Minor Leaguer" just a month ago...

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:31 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Can someone provide (or provide a link to) a good scouting report on Craig Smith?

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:33 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I don't want another scotty hartnell situation where a blooming powerforward is in Trotz's penalty box all year. The fact that Wilson was pretty much benched all playoffs says something about his attitude or at the very least Trotz's attitude toward Wilson. Either way it spells trouble and a high possibility of a fine asset squandered... which is something the Preds can't afford.
I'm worried period about any forward with offensive potential under Trotz. He doesn't have a track record of developing offensive talent. It could be a lack of talent to work with, but the Preds have had a lot of players show promise at 20/21 who never developed into anything more than mediocre 2nd liners or 3rd liners.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPreds37 View Post
He must've made major strides considering he was a "Career Minor Leaguer" just a month ago...
I still can't believe that was the response I got from such a well-known "scout" last month. When he suddenly started singing Smith's praises after prospect camp I had to call him out on it...

Old
07-15-2011, 10:43 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Spoken like a true Knoxville Predators fan.
Touche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I'm always amazed when I see a "lesser known" place in the US (not NYC, LA, Chicago, etc) talked about in a foreign newspaper....you quickly get the idea that the writer is getting their information from google.

Btw, in regards to my statement "what's the difference?"...it's starting to look like the U of Wisconsin has become another farm team.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Btw, in regards to my statement "what's the difference?"...it's starting to look like the U of Wisconsin has become another farm team.
haha, Good point! Is it just Suter, Geoffrion, Smith? or are there more?

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:35 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Beck has nice upside, but he has some question marks. He's not a great skater, his hockey sense/vision isn't very good--but he has potential.

On the other hand, smith is a much more polished player. Can make plays, can score goals, has great wheels...I would hope this isn't "the solution," but i think the team feels he's pretty much NHL ready. They must have said something enticing, as he was an early consideration for the Hobey Baker.
Where do you get this crap from? For a guy who doesn't have great hockey sense he's sure put in a lot of goals the past two years. Also, why does he get compared to Shane Doan so much? Doan's a heck of a player. Whatever your reasoning for bashing on Beck all the time is laughable to me. I've seen him in camp the last two years and he's always one of the bright spots among the younger players.

Smith has worked himself into a bit of a sleeper position and I think he has a lot of intangibles that make him a better overall player than what we thought he was when he was drafted. He's an overachiever but seems to be headed in the right direction. Smith shined at camp this year as well so I have high hopes for him too.

I think Smith and Beck are two different types of players too. I suspect we see one or both of them at some point in Nashville this year and then full time next year.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Where do you get this crap from? For a guy who doesn't have great hockey sense he's sure put in a lot of goals the past two years. Also, why does he get compared to Shane Doan so much? Doan's a heck of a player. Whatever your reasoning for bashing on Beck all the time is laughable to me. I've seen him in camp the last two years and he's always one of the bright spots among the younger players.

Smith has worked himself into a bit of a sleeper position and I think he has a lot of intangibles that make him a better overall player than what we thought he was when he was drafted. He's an overachiever but seems to be headed in the right direction. Smith shined at camp this year as well so I have high hopes for him too.

I think Smith and Beck are two different types of players too. I suspect we see one or both of them at some point in Nashville this year and then full time next year.
He's not "compared to Doan," Trotz asked him to style his play, going forward, after Doan, and I'm certainly not bashing him. You sure are defensive though. And scoring goals at a junior level means nothing, in regard to hockey sense. The AHL is full of guys that could score in the CHL but couldn't translate to the NHL for whatever reason. Everything I've read about Beck says that he scores goals from places that aren't typically easy places to score from, in the NHL, and that he doesn't show a lot of ingenuity in getting to other places. As for his skating -- I've read about that as well, and better yet, I've seen it -- it's an obvious weakness. I'm not saying he sucks or he's not going to be a good player, but I think it's misleading to suggest he's some slam-dunk, blue chip prospect. Craig Smith isn't either, but I think he's got a lot better chance to reach his potential than Beck does. Hopefully they both exceed expectations.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:17 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

What I liked about Beck is he goes to the net hard and often and has good timing doing it.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:40 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Overall, I like the move to get the kid in the system (in the minors or otherwise). Nashville plays a unique, successful system. Poile and Trotz has an eye for young talent and they want this kid a part of the team.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:55 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Since this is a Smith thread not a Wilson thread ill try to get things back on track.

Can anyone comment on what issues/weaknesses Smith had that led him to fall to the fourth round?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think Smith fell bc he was an overager. Also, his impressive college numbers were post draft. Wasn't he a us development program player? Either way another great overage draftee by Poole and fenton

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think Smith fell bc he was an overager. Also, his impressive college numbers were post draft. Wasn't he a us development program player? Either way another great overage draftee by Poole and fenton
I believe he was drafted out of the USHL. He was definitely a late bloomer, but the World Championships were Smith's first time wearing the US jersey.

Old
07-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
I believe he was drafted out of the USHL. He was definitely a late bloomer, but the World Championships were Smith's first time wearing the US jersey.
And that's when his star really started to rise. Very impressive at the Worlds playing against some of the best in the world.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:16 PM
WartracePred

If Smith skips MIL and plays early in Nashville Poile and Trotz are turning over a new leaf. Anyone think Ciggaran (sp?) is accelerating the road to Nashville. He has proven to be more aggressive than Freeman. According to some Preds staff, he is the driving force behind the new color scheme for the arena and jerseys.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 07-17-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Split post - moved Wilson section to new thread
WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Seth Lake

Alright, this thread is going to be about Craig Smith and I have set up a new thread for people to carry on the discussion of Colin Wilson.

Colin Wilson discussion here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=952597

Thanks!