HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If Kovalev called PG and offered him 1Y/1M.. Would you?

Old
07-17-2011, 01:40 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
i would want him back for 1M and less
he can play a top 9 role and fill in the top 6 when needed but he is old,slow and is not defensive
those things are what the team is looking for.
He and martin would not get a long and when the other team scores a goal and Kovy is at the blueline at the other end of the ice you know the benching is going to happen.

I wouldn't even want to send him down to the AHL where the future is.
I don't think he will go well in the locker room and putting him back with plek and AK would not be good. I would not but eller a kid with a bright future on a line with players that don't 100% of the time when they can't score they can't score for a long time

on paper then having kovy back is good but not in real life

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Zbynek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Benching Kovalev really paid off for Pittsburgh.
Did you even watch that series?

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:56 PM
number 11

who does he replace?

does jacques martin tolerate a slow player who doesn't backcheck and only shows up once every 5 games?

this guy is the complete opposite of every player on the habs and the system we're running.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Ginu

He'd be a bad influence on AK and would piss off Eller with his work ethic. No!

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:50 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
He'd be a bad influence on AK and would piss off Eller with his work ethic. No!
I've already had the "Why-the-****-is-this-guy-playing-more-than-Eller?" issue with Gomez and Moen... And I'm sure Eller would not appreciate Alexei ****ing Kovalev also seeing more ice than him.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Subnordi

Naw, we have to many promising youngsters that will take up spots, Kovalev's slow now, he's lazy, skilled, but lazy, I don't want him in a Habs uniform again.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Native

1M/1Y, yes, i'd do it. his biggest regret was not acting fast enough to accept gainey's offer. since then, he's been living on past memories of the glory and fanfare as a hab.

it'll be his swan song and i really do believe he'll have an amazing year. shootouts and playoffs, this guy is money. worst case, its 41 games (excluding playoffs) you know he'll put on a show.

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Anyone who still wants Kovalev obviously didn't watch much of him in Ottawa and obviously didn't watch hockey when he played on the habs. He would absolutely destroy this team and any chemistry they have.

I agree with what someone else said, if by 1M you mean that's how much it would cost to keep him away from the organization forever then yes, I would pay that.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Garry Valk

In a heartbeat.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

1 year 1 million, yes. I'd keep him on a very short leash on the 3rd line. Low risk, high reward.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:57 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

NOPE!

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Fozz

No thanks.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Selanne and Kovalev are two entirely different players, his worst year 7 years ago was still better than Kovalev's last season where he was putrid..

Again, have you watched Kovalev play the last 2 years? what has convinced you to think that the decline would just cease just because he's playing in Montreal? You think all of a sudden he's going to learn how to play with his teamates, whoever they are? You think he's going to finally learn that 45 second shifts are optimal for keeping players fresh on the ice? You think he's finally going to get that backchecking is also part of a winger's duties? You think he's finally going to realize that a shot on net, is just as good as taking 1 hour to pick a shot off the crossbar and in?...

There was a time when putting up with Kovalev's high maintenance ways far outweighed being without him, but the Habs have come a long way since there.

and as for Cole played 63 games away from Carolina, not exactly a sufficient sample-size to assert that he 'stunk it up' in Edmonton.
none of that changes the fact that it would be a low risk-high reward signing. Kovalev was miserable in Ottawa, and when he's not happy his play looks terrible.

all of the negative qualities you describe were present when he was in Montreal, yet most people still acknowledge Kovalev's aquisition by Gainey as a good move... why? b/c when he's on & playing well, his positives far outweigh his negatives.

1 year, 1M$ to find out how willing/able he is to come back and fit in? virtually no downside and a big positive upside... I say it's a no-brainer.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
none of that changes the fact that it would be a low risk-high reward signing. Kovalev was miserable in Ottawa, and when he's not happy his play looks terrible.

all of the negative qualities you describe were present when he was in Montreal, yet most people still acknowledge Kovalev's aquisition by Gainey as a good move... why? b/c when he's on & playing well, his positives far outweigh his negatives.

1 year, 1M$ to find out how willing/able he is to come back and fit in? virtually no downside and a big positive upside... I say it's a no-brainer.
First of all, I don't think Kovalev's ego would even allow the thought of entertaining accepting a 1 year 1M deal, especially from Montreal where he knows he's viewed as some type of demi-God.

But for arguments sake, lets say he were too...yeah, I agree that it's low risk but not sure I agree about the high reward portion

Furthermore, if he wasn't happy in Ottawa, presumable because of the way he was used there, what makes you think he'll be any happier in Montreal playing a similar role? What happens when Kovalev's not happy in Montreal? especially when he's unhappy and playing on the same line as young players like Eller or Desharnais...

It's just not worth it for the amount of positive he could bring (in the best of scenarios)

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Anyone who still wants Kovalev obviously didn't watch much of him in Ottawa and obviously didn't watch hockey when he played on the habs. He would absolutely destroy this team and any chemistry they have.

I agree with what someone else said, if by 1M you mean that's how much it would cost to keep him away from the organization forever then yes, I would pay that.
LOL I have. He sucked even more when he realized that Ottawa is in rebuild mode. He wants to win, but won't put in the effort until he sees a winning culture. His work ethic is questionable and that's why I said he should be treated like a rookie/put on a short short leash. Worst case scenario, he's waived and gone from the lockerroom if you're implying that he's gonna be a sour puss when he doesn't get his way.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
LOL I have. He sucked even more when he realized that Ottawa is in rebuild mode. He wants to win, but won't put in the effort until he sees a winning culture. His work ethic is questionable and that's why I said he should be treated like a rookie/put on a short short leash. Worst case scenario, he's waived and gone from the lockerroom if you're implying that he's gonna be a sour puss when he doesn't get his way.
This is the kind of example you want the organization to set forth for their younger players? This is the kind of thing you want to bring into the dressing room?

Old
07-17-2011, 05:39 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
This is the kind of example you want the organization to set forth for their younger players? This is the kind of thing you want to bring into the dressing room?
No I really don't give a **** about that. We are not Ottawa. And go read my post if you want an explanation on how we can handle Kovalev.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
No I really don't give a **** about that. We are not Ottawa. And go read my post if you want an explanation on how we can handle Kovalev.
Well that's the difference between posting on a message board and having to run a team when you're the coach or when you the GM and you're considering signing players and making them a part of your organization...things like team chemistry, leadership and organizational structure, etc also matter...it's not just about goals and assists.

Old
07-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
First of all, I don't think Kovalev's ego would even allow the thought of entertaining accepting a 1 year 1M deal, especially from Montreal where he knows he's viewed as some type of demi-God.

perhaps you didn't read the thread title?

IF kovalev called PG and offered him 1y/1m.. Would you?

Quote:
Furthermore, if he wasn't happy in Ottawa, presumable because of the way he was used there, what makes you think he'll be any happier in Montreal playing a similar role? What happens when Kovalev's not happy in Montreal? especially when he's unhappy and playing on the same line as young players like Eller or Desharnais...

It's just not worth it for the amount of positive he could bring (in the best of scenarios)

the question isn't wether or not we should go sign him, it's clearly under the pretext that he approached the team with that offer.

What happens if he gets moody or unhappy, and his play/presence becomes more negative than positive? then we say thanks for the memories, see you later...

@ 1M$, even if we couldn't get some other team to either trade a 7th for him or pick him up on waivers (and at that small sum, I'm sure we'd find a taker somewhere), then we lose that small bit of cap space and move on.

on the positive side, if he shows up to camp motivated and ready to "fit in" (and Kovalev is a player who can/has played well for a variety of coaches in a variety of systems... the issue of him fitting in is always about his attitude), then he'd definitely be an asset to our top-9, and could be slotted in well either next to Pleks or next to Eller/DD.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

#6 = "peace bro"
number 8 , a legend is born

i dont even want to talk about number 4, too many goosebumps

by far my favorite hab ever, he rly LOVED the city, he knew how to make the crowd roar, it was special (incedently so does pk)

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:50 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Well that's the difference between posting on a message board and having to run a team when you're the coach or when you the GM and you're considering signing players and making them a part of your organization...things like team chemistry, leadership and organizational structure, etc also matter...it's not just about goals and assists.
He's 38 years old and he's a very intelligent man. He flies a private jet and runs a hockey school for kids.

He won't be coming in here expecting to play 23 minutes a game and to have the captaincy and to have all his teammates look up to him as their great leader. He'd be coming in as secondary scoring role player and he knows it. With a 35 point season and a higher clip in the playoffs he could retire with honor. He's not the dim-minded drama king your posts are making him out to be.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
perhaps you didn't read the thread title?

IF kovalev called PG and offered him 1y/1m.. Would you?

the question isn't wether or not we should go sign him, it's clearly under the pretext that he approached the team with that offer.

What happens if he gets moody or unhappy, and his play/presence becomes more negative than positive? then we say thanks for the memories, see you later...

@ 1M$, even if we couldn't get some other team to either trade a 7th for him or pick him up on waivers (and at that small sum, I'm sure we'd find a taker somewhere), then we lose that small bit of cap space and move on.

on the positive side, if he shows up to camp motivated and ready to "fit in" (and Kovalev is a player who can/has played well for a variety of coaches in a variety of systems... the issue of him fitting in is always about his attitude), then he'd definitely be an asset to our top-9, and could be slotted in well either next to Pleks or next to Eller/DD.
- I read the thread title, I was just thinking outloud that I don't see a scenario where Kovalev would accept or rather, propose such an offer....

- As for the rest...I dont think he meshes well with JM and what he wants out of his players. I don't see a match there. He seems like exactly the opposite of what JM wants his wingers to do and he won't produce enough for Martin to look past his shortcomings

Quote:
He's 38 years old and he's a very intelligent man. He flies a private jet and runs a hockey school for kids.

He won't be coming in here expecting to play 23 minutes a game and to have the captaincy and to have all his teammates look up to him as their great leader. He'd be coming in as secondary scoring role player and he knows it. With a 35 point season and a higher clip in the playoffs he could retire with honor. He's not the dim-minded drama king your posts are making him out to be.
lol I never said he's 'dim-minded'...

I do think he's a high-maintenance player who someway, somehow...always manages to draw some type of attention to him, granted, often positively but also probably just as much, negatively.

I've got nothing against him...he was great for the habs throughout his tenure here, I tend to think very overrated, but he was the best forward on the Habs for 4+ years...I can't deny that.

I just don't think he's what the Habs need...the Habs have ample choices when it comes to skill/talent. I would rather invest this proposed 1M, into another type of player.

He had his time here, why can't it just be left at that?

Old
07-17-2011, 06:00 PM
DAChampion

He attracts that attention because that's what Montreal media does.

e.g. Koivu and Kovalev hate each other
e.g. Price and Halak hate each other
Soon, we will be hearing about Gomez vs Markov, or something.

Days of our Habs, As the Puck Turns, just ignore the soap operas.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
He attracts that attention because that's what Montreal media does.

e.g. Koivu and Kovalev hate each other
e.g. Price and Halak hate each other
Soon, we will be hearing about Gomez vs Markov, or something.

Days of our Habs, As the Puck Turns, just ignore the soap operas.
don't play Kovalev as the victim here...he's also gone out of his way to stir alot of the contreversy that's surrounded him, too.

edit - either way though, that kind of stuff means little to me...the reasons why I wouldn't want Kovalev back are mostly hockey related, he's just not a very effective player anymore, ESPECIALLY at even strength, and that's an area the Habs need to improve on, not become even worse in.

Old
07-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chemistry means nothing it seems. No No No No.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote