HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Locker room blueprint / construction progress

Old
07-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Here they say Vancouver spent $2.5 million renovating their locker room, the Sabres are tripling that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUGEBwLU3ek
3x that? There must be some serious structural work going on.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Union labor?

07-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
According to the architect in the video, they apparently relocated a lot of the restrooms/showers, which forced them to sawcut the existing concrete slab, excavate around the existing plumbing lines and trench new paths for the relocated lines. From experience, I can confirm that is an expensive endeavor in renovation projects, especially if there's a lot of lineal footage of piping and sawcutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Man I think it would be cool if they gave tours of it...I'd love to go check it out in the off season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres View Post
that's the first thing i thought of. let's start a petition.
In past trips to Buffalo, I asked a few times at HSBC if there were any public tours of the arena and was told 'no' each time. Perhaps when it first opened in 1996, they offered some tours but with the security issues, they probably didn't want to deal with it in the past. I definitely could see Black looking to change that under the "fan-friendly" marketing, although I doubt they would ever let any of the public into the player locker room or coaching areas. I've taken several arena tours in other cities and those areas are always off-limits - if you get to see any locker room areas, it's the visiting team's space.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:55 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Wow that locker room looks like it's going to be sick...A movie theater that seats the whole team ! Wow !

Man I think it would be cool if they gave tours of it...I'd love to go check it out in the off season.
I'm pretty surprised that there wasn't a "theater" type room for the entire team to review video before this renovation

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:50 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
In past trips to Buffalo, I asked a few times at HSBC if there were any public tours of the arena and was told 'no' each time. Perhaps when it first opened in 1996, they offered some tours but with the security issues, they probably didn't want to deal with it in the past. I definitely could see Black looking to change that under the "fan-friendly" marketing, although I doubt they would ever let any of the public into the player locker room or coaching areas. I've taken several arena tours in other cities and those areas are always off-limits - if you get to see any locker room areas, it's the visiting team's space.
I was given tickets to the Hurricanes STH party 2 years ago, and you were able to walk by the locker room and look in. It was roped off, but you still got to see it. I can't imagine that Black wouldn't go that far...

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedpony View Post
I'm pretty surprised that there wasn't a "theater" type room for the entire team to review video before this renovation
Why's that? A typical conference room will work, which is probably what they used before.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:40 AM
aceface33

At the draft party in previous years you could walk through the locker room at HSBC. I expect they'll do something like that again.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:21 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Why's that? A typical conference room will work, which is probably what they used before.
I kind of meant it sounded like they implied that there wasn't a room that would have previously fit the entire team for viewing videos, not that they should have had a theater.

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedpony View Post
I kind of meant it sounded like they implied that there wasn't a room that would have previously fit the entire team for viewing videos, not that they should have had a theater.
The scouting staff needed that room!

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Insomniac99

Sabres Making Progress on Locker Renovations

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/pro_hocke...er-Renovations

Quote:
BUFFALO - The Sabres say they continue to make progress on the massive renovation project to the locker and training facilities at HSBC Arena.

The Sabres old locker room and training facility encompassed roughly 8-thousand square feet. The new design will increase that number to roughly 14-thousand square feet with the total project amounting to 30-thousand square feet according to the Sabres.

The changes will include new locker rooms for both the home and away teams, a player lounge and dining facility, and new training facilities.

The Sabres say the project is on course for completion at the start of the season.

2-On-Your-Side's Adam Benigni got a tour from Sabres Director of Creative Services Frank Cravotta on Wednesday. Click on the video link above for the video of that tour.
Check the link for the vid. I had no idea how extensive these renovations were. The whole thing has been gutted. I know its not the newest article, but cool for those who havnt seen it.

Last edited by Insomniac99: 07-30-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by screecwe View Post
Check the link for the vid. I had no idea how extensive these renovations were. The whole thing has been gutted. I know its not the newest article, but cool for those who havnt seen it.
Sabres.com posted a far more in-depth video tour by the architect about two weeks ago - you should check that out because it gives you a better idea of what the changes are relative to the design floor plan:

Quote:
New video update on Sabres.com of the construction progress:

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|BUF|home

Old
07-31-2011, 02:15 AM
Sabretip

On a somewhat related note, albeit more for the fans than the players:

Quote:
The St. Petersburg Times details how when Tod Leiweke first met Lightning owner
Jeff Vinik last summer, the two walked the halls of the St. Pete Times Forum. This wasn't a customary half-hour tour of the facility. It was the pitch of Vinik's dream to make the Forum one of the nation's top arenas.

"We spent hours in the building, walking and thinking," said Leiweke, the Lightning's CEO. "I would say most of what we talked about that first day was about what we could do to make the building consistent with his vision of a world-class organization."

This offseason, that vision is turning into reality amid the summer sweat and smell of sawdust.

A $35 million-plus facelift to the 15-year-old Forum all bankrolled by Vinik is promised not only to fix the wear and tear of time but create the best fan experience possible.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/fantasy/hock...ockey_hearsay/

I wonder if Black and Pegula have ideas of similar nature for future upgrades to the public areas of HSBC.....afterall, it too is 15 years old

Old
07-31-2011, 08:54 AM
rabi

I just want another escalator on either side of the current ones on the 300 level...

The original plans called for two from each side of the pavilion bringing fans from the 300 to 100 level...

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 07:39 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Quote:

I wonder if Black and Pegula have ideas of similar nature for future upgrades to the public areas of HSBC.....afterall, it too is 15 years old

I like them to add additional lighting on the outside of the arena so that it looks like a Blue & Yellow Spaceship....I think this would look real cool as you are going over the Skyway

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 08:40 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:

Over time I'm sure we'll see some upgrades to the facilities. However, their first priority seems to be improving the on ice product and making the game day experience better.

Good to see Buffalo isn't the only team with a new owner who is trying to make the experience better.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:24 PM
rabi

They've started painting the walls in the arena bowl blue and gold...

20110816-Interior-LowerBowl.jpg

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 07:15 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
They've started painting the walls in the arena bowl blue and gold...

Attachment 47547
Nice

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
The renovations in the arena are ongoing. The new lockerroom is on schedule, we're probably fortunate that this year we are going to open in Europe and have a little bit of a buffer. The preseason will begin with some of the guys using the other lockerooms, but that is on time."
http://wgr550.com/Sabres-tickets-won...eason/10658105

Old
08-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Sabretip

In the video on Sabres.com from yesterday's PC, Black said that the locker room may be opened up for tours to the media next week to show the progress so far...

Old
08-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Speaking of Sabres.com, they have a new video update up. The place looks to be really coming along. I like the idea for the entrance to the rink - a display using the limestone facade from the Aud.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgmania View Post
Speaking of Sabres.com, they have a new video update up. The place looks to be really coming along. I like the idea for the entrance to the rink - a display using the limestone facade from the Aud.

I don't know - it seems like a lot of the electrical and mechanical work still has to happen and while some drywall areas look ready to paint, other walls are still bare with wiring being pulled. From what the video shows, I have the feeling the contractors will be working weekends and night shifts to finish by the start of the season.

I find it funny how much psychology goes into planning of sports facilities - especially when it comes to visiting team locker rooms compared to the home team's. The visiting locker room in the HSBC re-design looks dramatically more cramped and small - hardly a surprise or unusual. It all goes towards making trips to Buffalo unpleasant for the opponent, I guess

Last edited by Sabretip: 08-18-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old
08-18-2011, 02:21 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgmania View Post

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|BUF|home

Linkage

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
25 yd. AstroTurf field? Can anyone explain the use of this for me?

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:55 PM
In the Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
25 yd. AstroTurf field? Can anyone explain the use of this for me?
I'm guessing sprints.

In the Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
I find it funny how much psychology goes into planning of sports facilities - especially when it comes to visiting team locker rooms compared to the home team's. The visiting locker room in the HSBC re-design looks dramatically more cramped and small - hardly a surprise or unusual. It all goes towards making trips to Buffalo unpleasant for the opponent, I guess
while Hockey Heaven looms down the hall

'you want to come play here'

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote