HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McD + for MPS - would you do it?

Old
07-18-2011, 02:39 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
McD + for MPS - would you do it?

I have a hard time seeing this go through - but would we do McD + a second round pick to Edmonton for MPS? Would they do it?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
I wouldn't do that..

07-18-2011, 02:55 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I have a hard time seeing this go through - but would we do McD + a second round pick to Edmonton for MPS? Would they do it?
I value a 22 year old rock solid 2nd pairing defenseman more than a 20 year old 15 goal scorer.

so no, i wouldnt do it. Defenseman usually take longer, and are harder to develop than forwards. McDonagh is an absolute gem. He looks to be a kid who could become a top pairing defenseman, or one of the best 2nd pairing defenseman in the game. Id rather move prospects for MPS, or other forwards + prospects. To me, unless its a huge upgrade (like, say, in a package for Stamkos), im not moving Ryan McDonagh.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:58 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

no thanks. I would love MPS but I'll stick with the top 4 d-man. A straight up swap would obviously be more tempting. To answer your question, Edmonton might do that deal but the EDM HF posters will **** on it like Triumph the Comic Insult Dog.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

I personally wouldn't do it, but the value isn't far off.

I'd love to see Oiler fan reactions to this

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

Oilers already have Jeff Petry so I don't see why they would want to trade MPS for McDonagh. Is this another HFboards case of "grass is always greener on the our side"?

The "+" is interesting though.

Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:12 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

No. I would try to work out a deal including one of our young defenseman for MPS, but not McDonagh. I think McDonagh, in addition to the obvious shutdown ability he's already displayed, has some solid passing potential. He's shown at lower levels that he's a great breakout passer, and I'm anticipating it continuing into the NHL. I think our defense lacks that kind of thing right now. Staal, Girardi, Sauer, already in the NHL. Valentenko, McIlrath, Pashnin for the future. I don't think any of these guys are ever going to be especially good for breakout passes, save maybe Staal. And I believe it's very important to have players on the blueline that can do that. I think for the future, Erixon and McDonagh will be 2 defenseman who are solid as a rock on defense, and can make perfect on-the-tape passes out of the defensive zone. Del Zotto will probably be mostly good for those homerun passes, and powerplay QBing. Gotta hope Staal develops that skill, but I think he'll be more of a shooter than passer.

So, as for getting MPS, I'd love to have him, but not for McDonagh or Erixon, because I think they're both going to be exactly what our defense needs.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:00 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Absolutely not. I like MP, but I wouldn't be willing to trade a future 1st pairing defenseman for him.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:18 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Thanx for good, objective feedback so far...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:26 AM
WeWillWinTonight

No reason to do this

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Ola

I'd do it.

I think MPS is underrated, he is a year younger than MDZ and he was caught on a donut team with a ton of wingers last season that struggled mightly. He was definitely rushed into the NHL, since he couldn't be eased in.

I like his game a lot. He plays with a ton of speed and always takes the puck to the net. He is not a top notch sniper nor playmaker, but when he hits his prime he will bring a boatload of speed to his team and a good solid 70 pts or something like that. I think he would compliment what we have really well. I could definitely see him fitting in with BR in the same manner as Loui Eriksson did -- and then you could add 20 pts to the number mentioned above.

As regards to McD, the kid is a stud for sure. But, I wonder if there isn't a risk for us to overrate him a bit. Like in I think there is a bigger risk that he will become a very strong nr 4 then a avg nr 2.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:41 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Nah, but I'd love to have MPS

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Orr Nightmare

McD is a very good dman who is going to be an excellent dman very shortly. I would have to be overwhelmed with talent to part with him and I don't view MPS as that talent. If you want to do Jaime Benn or a Chris Stewart, I would contemplate.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:53 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Our strength is in our team defense.

Including our defensemen, our responsible forwards, and most importantly our goaltending.

You win in the playoffs with goaltending and defense.

So, no, that trade doesn't help us.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Superstar Carwash

I'd do it. We have plenty of defensive prospects and MPS will be a rock solid top 6 guy in this league without a doubt.

McDonagh is hard to replace, but it's not impossible.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:16 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiva View Post
I'd do it. We have plenty of defensive prospects and MPS will be a rock solid top 6 guy in this league without a doubt.

Defensemen>>>>>Forwards.

Rangers can wait the year for Kreider for the 15 goals MPS would contribute.

And can sign Prospal for the immediate production.

The answer isn't trading a young defenseman that comes cheap and proves to be incredibly solid, and showed signs he could be a two way defenseman.

McDonagh's value>>>MPS.

I know people love goals, but preventing them is equally as important. And you can't just replace a legitimate top four defenseman. None of our defense prospects are anywhere close to what McDonagh provided at the NHL level.

If anything, you trade the defense prospects/Del Zotto for the forward.

Do not break up the core of defensemen. They're going to be one of the main reasons for any of this team's successes.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:30 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiva View Post

If you trade McDonagh for Paajarvi (no idea why people are still calling him "MPS"-- he dropped the "Svensson" from his name), this is what projects to be the defense for next season:

Staal-Girardi
Erixon-Sauer
Del Zotto-Kundratek/Valentenko

I, for one, am not content with that 6 man unit -- with the defensive prowess that McDonagh showed last season, you can't trade him unless another top-4 defenseman is coming back in that trade.

I can't believe we're even discussing trading McD -- the kid was an absolute revelation last season. His poise, awareness, and intelligence was extraordinary for a player of his experience -- you don't trade a 22 year old defenseman who displayed as much skill and intelligence as McDonagh did. I like Paajarvi a lot, but getting a good top-6 winger is much simpler than getting a legitimate top-4 defenseman. In terms of importance, defenseman hold much more value than wingers.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:50 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Nope, not me. Wingers are interchangeable and therefore less important. Build through the middle, Goalies, defense, centers. Right now McD is more important to this team, he is part of the foundation and the core and you don't get rid of that. When a better, younger defenseman comes along and makes him expendable, you don't move him.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:59 AM
xxxZENxxx

Crazy trade IMO. I think that McD has a higher ceiling than most d-men in the league right now. I personally have never seen a d-man who can get beat flat-footed while the attacking player is going full speed... and somehow be able to recover?!?! I wouldn't trade McD for anyone other than a top 5 player in the league.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Crazy trade IMO. I think that McD has a higher ceiling than most d-men in the league right now. I personally have never seen a d-man who can get beat flat-footed while the attacking player is going full speed... and somehow be able to recover?!?! I wouldn't trade McD for anyone other than a top 5 player in the league.
Really?

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:00 AM
avery16*

both have the tools to be really good players, top players int he league.. they both are enjoyable to watch play... MPS is gonna be one hell of a player... they both seem to need to add some weak, mps looks lanky.. but very skilled... mcdonaugh is just soething else though, someone mentioned his skating.. nothing better then seeing that guy skate.. id think mcdonaugh starts chipping in offensively in the next two seasons too.. seems like he could have a real mean streak too... mcdonaugh i think is the most important dman after staal.. not speaking about current times, but for the future of the organization.. who knows what will become of girardi(injuries? eventually) and sauer (real good player, but what about his next contract?), but mcdonaugh is someone you can build around, still young, still cheap..

avery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Much rather keep McDonagh than trade him for MP. I dont think MP will be anything better than what we already have in Anisimov and Stepan. I can see Mcdonagh becoming another Marc Staal.

Id much rather wait another year or two, let Mcdonagh grow more with Sauer and see what Erixon has. if Mcdonagh can take over the #2 and Erixon the #3 with Sauer slotting in at #4, then i would trade Girardi ++ for a young top line player.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:38 AM
satrabyk

How could you not do that trade. We are deep on D, Mcd is behind Sauer, Stall and probably Girardi in depth list and we have guys that could probably be better in Erixon etc. You guys must think Mcd is going to have some real jump next year because from his play last year idk how you dont make that trade. We have no prospects like MPS that is flashy, big hes the whole package and some serious potential to get more than 15 goals. Id take him in flash for Mcd. Stall or Sauer probably not but MPS is a very good prospect who i would love to have.

PEOPLE ARE REALLY OVERRATING MCD on this board. If u watched last season you would know that Sauer carried Mcd and was the real stud. Im not saying Mcd played bad but give me a break with the untradeable crap im hearing.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:48 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
PEOPLE ARE REALLY OVERRATING MCD on this board. If u watched last season you would know that Sauer carried Mcd and was the real stud. Im not saying Mcd played bad but give me a break with the untradeable crap im hearing.
How did you get that impression from watching the games? McDonagh took care of his own business... Sauer didn't cover up mistakes or bail him out of anything.... They are an excellent pairing together and compliment each other well because they are so vocal on the ice and communicate quite a bit according to their own admissions....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Richards to Gaborik

Nope, I like how we are building a solid, young defense. McD stepped in and really played his role well, no need to trade him at the moment. The trade value wasn't far off though.

Richards to Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote