HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Washington Capitals Prospect Poll #7

View Poll Results: Who is the Caps #7 prospect?
Francois Bouchard 1 1.67%
Travis Boyd 1 1.67%
Brett Flemming 16 26.67%
Philip Grubauer 4 6.67%
Caleb Herbert 2 3.33%
Patrick Koudys 0 0%
Dmitry Kugryshev 8 13.33%
Patrick McNeill 5 8.33%
Steffen Soberg 1 1.67%
Patrick Wey 22 36.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

vCash: 500
Wey for me, add Haar.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:14 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
For me it's about tools. I think Flemming reads the play a little bit better than Wey from what I've seen and his wheels really help him gap up. On top of that he readily engages one-on-one and plays bigger than his size. There are translation questions and he'll have to change his game a fair amount from his roving ways in junior but that was a function of confidence allowing him to take calculated risks. If he can make Hershey in the fall and remain as a regular that will say a lot about his make-up.

Flemming and Wey's respective upsides probably aren't significantly different, as they're both 5-7 types. It's a matter of preference. More of a go-to role at BC should help Wey make necessary all-around strides.

Aside from a few games and development camp exposure we're all operating under fairly limited knowledge but I'd welcome more debate.
It's a real nice problem to have IMHO. We haven't had too many low round dman that have shown this growth this early. McNeil maybe but he still hasn't accomplished what these two did this soon.

Personally after watching both wey in wjc and flemming in mem cup I'm very excited about their possibilities.

I too agree about welcoming debate. And typically I'd put a lot of stock in coaches polls. But I have to wonder. Where are all the other highly rated ohl players? If this list is somehow supposed to give credence to a prospects NHL future then where are Landenskog, NAmestinkov, Murphy, etc. It's hard to give validity to a list that posters are taking as validity of NHL prospect value without these guys on it IMHO.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:17 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Dammit I just saw the list was EC OHL. So the list of applicable players drops further but my point is still the same.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:32 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

Flemming and Wey's respective upsides probably aren't significantly different, as they're both 5-7 types. It's a matter of preference. More of a go-to role at BC should help Wey make necessary all-around strides.
For me, Wey's upside is a mid-pairing shutdown defenseman, while Flemming is pretty much what you've tagged. As a freshman and sophomore at Boston College, Wey has earned a ton of responsibility and icetime unusual for a player at his age, much less a player in one of the better college programs in the NCAA. Flemming, on the other hand, has the kind of skill set that makes him stand out in juniors, so although he's had major success this past season, I'm a bit more wary of it than Wey's.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
As a freshman and sophomore at Boston College, Wey has earned a ton of responsibility and icetime unusual for a player at his age, much less a player in one of the better college programs in the NCAA.
AFAIK, he's been more of a 4 and largely been behind Dumoulin & Samuelsson since the three joined BC. Samuelsson left early so perhaps he becomes more of an all-situations type but a sophomore 4 isn't too rare. He's a solid player within his role but I haven't quite seen the instincts to warrant that much upside, even as a shutdown type. He's a pretty solid positional defensemen but he'll need to branch out a bit regardless going forward. If he does that in the next year or two then I'd agree.

Flemming is always going to be perceived as the riskier prospect but in today's game his lack of size isn't as important as it used to be. There are areas he needs to work on, in particular his shot, but I think he has less strides to make just from a two-way hockey sense and puck movement standpoint. Those two areas and his battle level in one-on-one situations are why I think he stands a good chance of translating pretty well at the pro level (up to the NHL level if his drive and conditioning are sufficient). He's a guy that doesn't just want to be steady but make a difference at both ends and that's IMO what makes him a more intriguing prospect at this point.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:35 AM
sunnydaycrash

Last edited by Langway: 07-18-2011 at 06:39 AM.
sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:41 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Nice. We could use some of that on the Blue Line.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote