HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When did you start following the team/first memory thread

Old
07-18-2011, 02:39 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

vCash: 500
Earliest memory is a story I think I've told on here before. I was 3 1/2 yrs. old and the Flyers won the Cup ('75). My whole family (all 6 siblings and both parents) started freaking out, and ran out to the street where other people were freaking out. I remember lots of people driving by and honking their horns and waving banners out of the windows. And this was in Swarthmore! I really had no clue what was going on, being 3yrs old and all. All I knew was for the previous week or so, all I had heard my mom talking about was the chicken pox that all the kids were getting. So longish story shortish, I stood on the sidewalk yelling "YAY CHICKEN POX!!!". It was 8 or 9 years later that it dawned on me what all the hubub was about.

I got chicken pox a week or so later. Then a couple months after that we moved to Great Britain. We moved back to the States in 1980, which is pretty much when I started following the Flyers.

edit: Now, when the Flyers win in the playoffs I sometimes get a text from my friend that says, "CHICKEN POX!!!"

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:12 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
What is your age? We can probably find the exact game.

Could it be off the late penalty shot against Atlanta, an afternoon game?
im 19.. Probably was between 2000 and 2003 ish..

Im not sure which team it was and for some reason, it feels like either a late season game or playoffs

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:31 AM
GoldBlooded
Doop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
First Memory: The huge brawl with the Senators in 03-04. I remember begging my mom just to finish watching the last 10 minutes of the third, telling her it wouldn't take more than 15 minutes.
Same memory I have. Good times...

GoldBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:32 AM
flymuth

Early 80's

I don't remember the exact game, but I had cousins who played hockey and I would go over to their house and watch the Flyers on Prism. The Flyers were affiliated with the Hershey Bears at the time and I went to a good deal of Hershey Bear games so I naturally became a Flyers fan. Been through the ups and downs now for 30 years. I didn't get to enjoy the Stanley Cups, because I was just being born.

flymuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:29 AM
ugiswrong

Didn't have cable or a family interested in hockey, but remember pretending to be Hextall in 1987 while playing floor hockey in a basement.

First vivid visual memory was probably the goal in 1995 Conference Finals scored against the same Ron Hextall in the playoffs - slapshot from the blueline - that gave the Devils the lead in that series...rather traumatic actually when I think about it.

You can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0TEc...eature=related

First overall sports memory was a pitch that Bruce Ruffin threw into the stands; think I was like 8 years old and asked my grandfather WTF was that?

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:19 PM
mirimon

I've told my story once or twice already, I think... but here goes anyway. My first NHL game that I watched was between the Canadiens and the Flyers. My elder brother rooted for the Canadiens, so I picked the other team. After that, it stuck and with the Legion of Doom storming through the league at the time it was kind of easy to become a Flyers fan.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
Didn't have cable or a family interested in hockey, but remember pretending to be Hextall in 1987 while playing floor hockey in a basement.

First vivid visual memory was probably the goal in 1995 Conference Finals scored against the same Ron Hextall in the playoffs - slapshot from the blueline - that gave the Devils the lead in that series...rather traumatic actually when I think about it.

You can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0TEc...eature=related

First overall sports memory was a pitch that Bruce Ruffin threw into the stands; think I was like 8 years old and asked my grandfather WTF was that?
Most underrated sport ever haha.

Probably like '95. I was a die hard by 10, which was '97. My most vivid early memory was my first game. My brother took me to a Pens game at the Spectrum (possibly Corestates Center) and we were about 10-15 rows off the ice, and my biggest concern was getting hit in the head with the puck.

He kept assuring me that wouldn't happen, and then someone ripped a slapshot that caught the glass and deflected into the stands. Hit a lady about two rows in front of me in the head, she staggered up the steps and dropped at the edge of my row, bleeding from the head, before being helped to the exit, and I assume, the hospital. After the game was over I still somehow couldn't wait to go back to another one.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I was on Xmas break during my senior year of high school. My buddy Mike who was from Vancouver and had moved to South Jersey took me to a game against Minnesota. We won 6-0, Dorny and Lou Angotti along with Bernie had big games. It was not until the 72-73 season when I became a hardcore hockey fan. I listened to all the games not on TV on radio.I had season tickets for the Firebirds every year. After that we used to go to the RNR bar on 19th and Passyunk and watch the games on Prism for years. Then drive to Rexy's.The playoffs were crazy to say the least. Great times Bros! Season ticket holder at the Spectrum for six years until we got priced out. Man do I miss the 70's
Was there when we beat the Oilers in the playoffs.
Dave Poulin's Shortie vs Quebec
The Russian game
Drinking with Coatsie and Brookshier (Brooky started the morning show on 610) during the great cup run vs Edmonton.
A million memories and I hope a million more. Yep I drink orange Kool-aid.

Just looked the game up it was 12/21/67

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Normand Lacombe

Started following in 1984-85 when I was 8. Earliest memory was listening to Gene Hart on the radio shouting "Score" every five minutes in a 14-2 win against the Canucks. Went to my first game a few nights later against the Penguins in Mario Lemieux's first appearance at the Spectrum. Tim Kerr scored 2 goals, I think, in a 4-2 win. Hooked ever since.

Normand Lacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:47 PM
daynus

when i was a young kid

i became a type 1 diabetic at age 2, in 1971. my mom grabbed me, forced me to sit down and watch this hockey stuff, the flyers first cup run, and #16. she was a huge bobby clarke fan, and decided i needed a role model, someone else with the disease some one who was a warrior, with the strength to fight this disease, live a normal live and in bob's case, a warrior on and off the ice. and it worked, i became a warrior off the ice, i'm active,scrappy, no quit in me, when things are going well i just roll with the punches, and times when things are not going well for me, i continue to fight, fight with all i have. and since the flyers took a risk on this fellow diabetic, a risk that hugely paid off, that is when and how i became a flyers fan. my mom is looking down, still cheering for the boys, and when we do win, the first thing i'll see, is her clapping like mad, and smiling.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:11 AM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
friend took me a flyers/devils game in oct07 that was 4-0 win, was pretty hooked after that.

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
i became a type 1 diabetic at age 2, in 1971. my mom grabbed me, forced me to sit down and watch this hockey stuff, the flyers first cup run, and #16. she was a huge bobby clarke fan, and decided i needed a role model, someone else with the disease some one who was a warrior, with the strength to fight this disease, live a normal live and in bob's case, a warrior on and off the ice. and it worked, i became a warrior off the ice, i'm active,scrappy, no quit in me, when things are going well i just roll with the punches, and times when things are not going well for me, i continue to fight, fight with all i have. and since the flyers took a risk on this fellow diabetic, a risk that hugely paid off, that is when and how i became a flyers fan. my mom is looking down, still cheering for the boys, and when we do win, the first thing i'll see, is her clapping like mad, and smiling.
This is fairly awesome.

07-20-2011, 12:43 AM
orangecrush8

My Dad's work has had Leafs season tickets ever since I can remember and he would take me games if they ever had extra tickets. My dad has been a fan since the 70s and I have memories of watching game with him when I was young, but I never really cared all that much. Anyway, this was the first game my Dad had taken me to. It was in 1999 so I was 8 years old at the time. The video pretty much speaks for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xipqwMWVQRE

I became an instant fan and have hated Domi ever since

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Kitten Mittons

First year: 2011 - getting traded to this board in a blockbuster deal that you guys definitely won.

Of course, I've watched the Flyers before and rooted for you guys (**** Chicago) but yeah, this season's opener will be my official first Flyers memory.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
First year: 2011 - getting traded to this board in a blockbuster deal that you guys definitely won.

Of course, I've watched the Flyers before and rooted for you guys (**** Chicago) but yeah, this season's opener will be my official first Flyers memory.
Well, you've come aboard at an interesting time, that's for sure.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:40 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post

Could very well turn out to have been the best Flyers(related) trade of this off season.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Subject Orange

Hmm. Hard to say really. I watched them with my dad when I was little in the 80s. He played in a men's league as well. I played good ole..

BLADES OF STEEL. cudos whomever knows that game.

Not really sure of any exact dates. My earliest memory of going to a game was going to the Spectrum with my mom and dad, sitting up in the last row in the right corner behind the opposing teams net to start. I don't remember much except it was crazy and I loved every minute of it. Might have been the Pens or Rags. I know we won the game. Also my mom made brownies and we brought them in a little baggey.

Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Could very well turn out to have been the best Flyers(related) trade of this off season.
Haha, as flattering as it is, let's hope not.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:01 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

born and bred to love philly teams. the first season i watched every game was 1999-2000 when i was 8 years old. game 7 loss to the devils was absolutely devastating.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject Orange View Post
BLADES OF STEEL. cudos whomever knows that game.
Yeah, I owned that game and played it a ton with my brother.

I started to become interested around 85 or 86, my dad being a huge fan. I became hardcore in 1987, which was just an absolutely phenomenal team and story. Hextall was a complete badass. I don't remember my "first" memory, but I remember the first time I was devastated by a sporting event. My ten year old heart was broken after Game 7 that year, I remember standing on my neighbor's camper, holding up a sign saying, "We Love You Anyway!" with tears trickling down my cheeks.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:44 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

First game ever:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin...e.cgi?19970179

That's when I became a fan. Before, I was always a Red Wings fan because of the Russian 5, but when I experienced my first Flyers game live, I knew there was no going back.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:46 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
when Lindros broke into the League

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:55 PM
bobbyboucher24

I'm 36. I was too young to remember many of the players from the late 70's so my first memories were the guys in the 80's like Kerr, Howe, Jeff Chychrun, Propp, Zezel, Mellanby, Derrick Smith, Eklund, Toch and so forth. I had a couple of those old cheap Bobby Clarke street hockey sticks (think they were my older brother's). My friend's older brother was a huge Flyers fan so we just got hooked and played street every day after that. I think my first hockey game was Luc Robitaille's rookie season when the Kinds visited Philly. My mom won tickets from her work.

bobbyboucher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:01 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
Have you communicated those thoughts to Clarke through the Flyers?

I am not sure of the current state with him being more inactive compared to the recent past, but he relishes in those stories in a modest fashion.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:11 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
When I was about 6 my father and I watched my first hockey game on tv. He told me he wanted to see lindros. This was back in his day so he wanted to check it out. After that I was hooked. We both became huge flyers fans together.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote