HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blake Wheeler

Old
07-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Percy View Post
To Toronto:

Wheeler and Kessel played together in University and on the Bruins. Chemistry is a good thing, he has great size and can score. I've really like Wheeler his whole career, he's a good fit here.
Try to think of a trade proposal from the other teams point of view. You can get a better sense of value that way.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:20 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:
To Toronto:
Wheeler

To Winnipeg:
3rd Round Pick (2012)
Holzer

Wheeler and Kessel played together in University and on the Bruins. Chemistry is a good thing, he has great size and can score. I've really like Wheeler his whole career, he's a good fit here.
I don't think people actually read the rest of the thread before they post these things. Winnipeg has horrible RW depth and will not trade a top 6 winger (with Winnipeg's lack of RW depth) for at LEAST a RW that's ready to play now, let alone a D prospect that would be 8th or 9th on the Jets' depth chart

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Thanks for the insite. Would love to have him on the Panthers! Just curious what do you think it would take from Florida to get him?
A top 6 RW or C would need to be coming back. Weiss or Booth would be ideal, but Winnipeg would need to add. Winnipeg needs to hold onto their top 6 players, so I don't really see a deal happening.

Old
07-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
A top 6 RW or C would need to be coming back. Weiss or Booth would be ideal, but Winnipeg would need to add. Winnipeg needs to hold onto their top 6 players, so I don't really see a deal happening.
Would Booth for Wheeler+Burmistrov be fair value? Probably won't happen since Booth has a NTC and loves Florida but just trying to gauge the value as jets fans see it.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:11 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Would Booth for Wheeler+Burmistrov be fair value? Probably won't happen since Booth has a NTC and loves Florida but just trying to gauge the value as jets fans see it.
No I don't think Winnipeg has any intention of trading Burmistrov. He's underrated on these boards because people look at the stat sheet and then just base their opinion on that. Great two-way centremen don't just appear everywhere, Burmistrov won't score huge point totals (don't see him going over 65 in his career) but he is going to be a solid defensive centre.

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:21 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
The thing is Winnipeg needs to keep their talent, so they can't be trading 2 for 1. The value is also off. Burmistrov is a big part of the future here and we'll be patient as fans. If it was a forced deal then i would think Booth for Wheeler + 2nd/3rd? I'm not saying this is fair value, but Winnipeg would need a major upgrade and that isn't worth Burmistov.

Old
07-18-2011, 02:39 AM
PsychoDad

Quote:
To Toronto:
Wheeler

To Winnipeg:
3rd Round Pick (2012)
Holzer

In that case...

Kulemin

for

3rd round pick
Colby Cohen.

Okay, maybe we could add a 7th round pick too.

PsychoDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Man Bear Pig

Always liked his potential but I have no idea who the Leafs would give up or where he'd fit into the lineup. Like to see him with his old buddy Kessel again which would mean the end of Lupul but who the hell is going to take that on over $4 mil/per for the next 2 years? Wheeler is still a bit of a project but a few years from now he may be worth it.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:53 AM
Shaun

Blake the Snake has so much potential he just doesn't seem smart enough to use it.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:41 AM
nmbr_24

This is just my opinion but Wheeler is a very versatile player. He can play any forward position in any situation. You aren't going to find many forwards who can play on a checking line and on the pk and are still able to be an offensive weapon and when you do they usually cost a lot of money.

Wheeler would need work on faceoffs if he was going to do more than fill in at center.

If he is on a scoring line he can play either wing with no noticeable drop off in his play. He suffered a little in Boston production wise this past year because he was a guy who was constantly moved around the lineup. I have a feeling that if he is given steady linemates and top 6 minutes he will put up pretty good 2nd line numbers.

It doesn't make sense to trade him for anything less than an upgrade at the forward position.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
This is just my opinion but Wheeler is a very versatile player. He can play any forward position in any situation. You aren't going to find many forwards who can play on a checking line and on the pk and are still able to be an offensive weapon and when you do they usually cost a lot of money.

Wheeler would need work on faceoffs if he was going to do more than fill in at center.

If he is on a scoring line he can play either wing with no noticeable drop off in his play. He suffered a little in Boston production wise this past year because he was a guy who was constantly moved around the lineup. I have a feeling that if he is given steady linemates and top 6 minutes he will put up pretty good 2nd line numbers.

It doesn't make sense to trade him for anything less than an upgrade at the forward position.
I agree with all of this. Wheeler's not perfect, and he'll never be a guy that plays with an edge, but I think he's underrated around here. He turned into a very good penalty killer before he got traded (something he almost never gets credit for), his speed/skating is much better than he gets credit for, and I think all the "character issues" rumblings are completely overblown and largely fabricated.

I think Wheeler's got flaws, but I think he could be a 25G/25A guy if the Jets put him in their top 6 and gave him PP time, and I think he's a really solid penalty killer.

WreckItRask is online now   Reply With Quote