HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Craig Smith has turned Pro

Old
07-17-2011, 02:54 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
If Smith skips MIL and plays early in Nashville Poile and Trotz are turning over a new leaf. Anyone think Ciggaran (sp?) is accelerating the road to Nashville. He has proven to be more aggressive than Freeman. According to some Preds staff, he is the driving force behind the new color scheme for the arena and jerseys.
It wouldn't be the first time a player didn't spend any time in Milwaukee. If he only spends a little time there, it wouldn't be a first. How much time a player spends in the AHL is dependent on their performance, not some prearranged timeline.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:58 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Since this is a Smith thread not a Wilson thread ill try to get things back on track.

Can anyone comment on what issues/weaknesses Smith had that led him to fall to the fourth round?
and whether or not he has a twitter account?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
and whether or not he has a twitter account?
Craig Smith does have a Twitter account. You can follow him at @CSmith1515

He started his account during prospect camp at the same time several others did as well (I know one of their off-ice sessions was with NHL Security and Twitter/Facebook/etc were discussed) and has had spurts of activity. He's been quiet for the most part this past week though.

From what I remember, he's back up in Wisconsin training for next season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:46 PM
hatedandproud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Craig Smith does have a Twitter account. You can follow him at @CSmith1515

He started his account during prospect camp at the same time several others did as well (I know one of their off-ice sessions was with NHL Security and Twitter/Facebook/etc were discussed) and has had spurts of activity. He's been quiet for the most part this past week though.

From what I remember, he's back up in Wisconsin training for next season...
pffftttt...how immature....

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:16 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Come on, this team doesnt rush anyone.. the sent Radulov to Milwaukee after all, and sent him back to juniors the year before when some folks I know were saying he was the best forward in camp then(and remember who we had back then)

so if they are encouraging this kid to go pro I expect he's the real deal... or he'll be in Milwaukee like all of our prospects..
I believe that Rads played 10 games for Milwaukee.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:27 AM
RichManitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
They're both in Wisconsin...what's the difference?
I know your tongue is in cheek, but Madison & Milwaukee what's the difference?? Porsche 911 Turbo vs. Ford Maverick for one. We've been hoping for Milwaukee to break off into Lake Michigan and float south or east.

Good luck to Smitty, you'll like him. He's got an edge to his game as well. Have a good season Nashville Badgers.

RichManitoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichManitoba View Post
I know your tongue is in cheek, but Madison & Milwaukee what's the difference?? Porsche 911 Turbo vs. Ford Maverick for one. We've been hoping for Milwaukee to break off into Lake Michigan and float south or east.

Good luck to Smitty, you'll like him. He's got an edge to his game as well. Have a good season Nashville Badgers.
Good Luck to your Wisky Badgers as well

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:34 AM
RichManitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Good Luck to your Wisky Badgers as well
With Smitty's early departure (and 2 other studs as well) and 2 new inexperienced incoming goaltenders, let's say this year will be a challenge, but Mike Eaves seems to get everything he can out of players.

Lots of Nashville fans here in Madison! http://www.wisconsinhockey2011.com/

Last edited by RichManitoba: 07-18-2011 at 03:41 PM.
RichManitoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:32 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
If Smith skips MIL and plays early in Nashville Poile and Trotz are turning over a new leaf. Anyone think Ciggaran (sp?) is accelerating the road to Nashville. He has proven to be more aggressive than Freeman. According to some Preds staff, he is the driving force behind the new color scheme for the arena and jerseys.
I really doubt Cigarran is pulling strings with regards to player development. It's one thing to try to overhaul the uniforms and building color scheme. It's another to get into your GM and President of Hockey Ops' ear telling him who to bring up and who to let spend time in Milwaukee.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:01 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichManitoba View Post

Haha...I know what you mean. There's a lot of difference between the Tennessee cities, too.

I watched Smitty during the WC's and could tell he was quite talented. I've seen him in practice a few times, too. He brings a bit of confidence to his game. I'm hoping that stays with him as he tries to make the team.

And keep producing good hockey talent, Wisconsin.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:01 PM
sighthndlady

So - when a highly talented player comes onto the team, you don't have to give up your number for him. Do you have to give up your nickname?

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
So - when a highly talented player comes onto the team, you don't have to give up your number for him. Do you have to give up your nickname?
No, new guy gets hazed.

Old
07-18-2011, 04:02 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

A former co-worker of mine used to call Smithson "baby face". During one of the meet-the-team parties he asked Smithson to sign a shirt for his then-infant son "from Baby Face". Erat, sitting right new to Smithson, said, "Baby face huh?" and laughed. I wouldn't be surprised if they call him that in the locker room now

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:50 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
For some reason I am remembering that the guys on the team call Smithson "Smithers" not Smitty so if Smith wants to be Smitty he probably can do so...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Note that the team still hasn't announced this signing, and in fact, an article on the Preds' website mentions Smith as being a Hobey hopeful, returning to Wisconsin this year.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:00 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Note that the team still hasn't announced this signing, and in fact, an article on the Preds' website mentions Smith as being a Hobey hopeful, returning to Wisconsin this year.
The Badgers head coach already wished him well and it says he's leaving Wisconsin on the official Badger athletic website.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:25 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
A former co-worker of mine used to call Smithson "baby face". During one of the meet-the-team parties he asked Smithson to sign a shirt for his then-infant son "from Baby Face". Erat, sitting right new to Smithson, said, "Baby face huh?" and laughed. I wouldn't be surprised if they call him that in the locker room now
Ha! My wife and I have always called him that.

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
The first time I saw Smithson he scored two goals and an assist to lead the Manchester Monarchs over the Hartford Wolf*Pack. I was writing for a weekly AHL newsletter at the time and in my game recap called him the "Babyfaced Assassin". That was nearly ten years ago...he still hasn't aged a day!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:00 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The first time I saw Smithson he scored two goals and an assist to lead the Manchester Monarchs over the Hartford Wolf*Pack. I was writing for a weekly AHL newsletter at the time and in my game recap called him the "Babyfaced Assassin". That was nearly ten years ago...he still hasn't aged a day!!!

That's the nick name of one of the Brewers prospects. Hopefully the Sounds are still the Brewers affiliate by the time he makes it up to Nashville.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:32 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwrx View Post
Ha! My wife and I have always called him that.
My buddies and I have always called him Birdman. He looks like a stork with that nose of his.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:51 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I call him hammer head because his eyes are soooooo far apart.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:15 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post

That's the nick name of one of the Brewers prospects. Hopefully the Sounds are still the Brewers affiliate by the time he makes it up to Nashville.
On a related note...I really like the affiliation our pro sports have with Milwaukee....your Ads ---> our Preds, our Sounds ---> your Brewers. I hope that continues. It's a relationship most cities don't enjoy. I feel a sort of kinship with Milwaukee I didn't feel before. It's pretty cool.

Hope it remains that way until both cities upgrade to the higher league.

Old
07-19-2011, 10:24 AM
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
On a related note...I really like the affiliation our pro sports have with Milwaukee....your Ads ---> our Preds, our Sounds ---> your Brewers. I hope that continues. It's a relationship most cities don't enjoy. I feel a sort of kinship with Milwaukee I didn't feel before. It's pretty cool.

Hope it remains that way until both cities upgrade to the higher league.
I would be willing to bet Preds aren't in Milwaukee much longer, with Atlanta or Gwinnett Co being prime locales for us. Totaly hypothetical, but it would make lots of sense. I hear we are pushing HARD to be the team aired on foxsports in the ATL market too, which makes sense being the closest team. BUT they were in the East, so Carolina could be it, but I doubt it.

randymc2641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:43 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
I would be willing to bet Preds aren't in Milwaukee much longer, with Atlanta or Gwinnett Co being prime locales for us. Totaly hypothetical, but it would make lots of sense. I hear we are pushing HARD to be the team aired on foxsports in the ATL market too, which makes sense being the closest team. BUT they were in the East, so Carolina could be it, but I doubt it.
at this point Atlanta doesnt have an AHL franchise so one would have to move there(and presumbaly displace the ECHL team that is currently in Gwinnett)

I think a more likely scenario is the Preds give up Cincinnati as our ECHL affiliate and go with Gwinnet in that league, keeping Milwaukee as our AHL team

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:45 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
at this point Atlanta doesnt have an AHL franchise so one would have to move there(and presumbaly displace the ECHL team that is currently in Gwinnett)

I think a more likely scenario is the Preds give up Cincinnati as our ECHL affiliate and go with Gwinnet in that league, keeping Milwaukee as our AHL team
Agreed. Right now, it seems there is a good relationship with Milwaukee and there is no reason to end that.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote