HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marchand offer sheet?

Old
07-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Kimmo Therapy

vCash: 500
You guys have got to be kidding me. I don't see how you can think that Marchand has even POSSIBLY peaked as a rookie. Did you see how he would take over games all by himself in the playoffs? He is a star player in the making. He is going to be putting up 30g/70pt seasons in a year or so. People don't like him because he's gritty. Get over it. Anyone would LOVE to have this kid on their team, and if you say otherwise you know nothing about hockey or just have a stick up your a**. This kid is money. And he is easily worth 3.5 if that's what he's asking for. You idiots just wait and see.

Kimmo Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

I wouldn't say he's peaked as a player, but his value (in terms of people's expectations for the future) is definitely at it's peak.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:39 AM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Did you watch The Finals?
Punching one of the Sedin twins in the face five times in a row isn't exactly standing up for yourself.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Punching one of the Sedin twins in the face five times in a row isn't exactly standing up for yourself.
Or when Sedin took a run at him after the whistle and he flipped him and then fought I think Ballard who came after him. Pretty sure thats sticking up for yourself

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:43 AM
HawkinMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by anklebender View Post
You guys have got to be kidding me. I don't see how you can think that Marchand has even POSSIBLY peaked as a rookie. Did you see how he would take over games all by himself in the playoffs? He is a star player in the making. He is going to be putting up 30g/70pt seasons in a year or so. People don't like him because he's gritty. Get over it. Anyone would LOVE to have this kid on their team, and if you say otherwise you know nothing about hockey or just have a stick up your a**. This kid is money. And he is easily worth 3.5 if that's what he's asking for. You idiots just wait and see.
Potential =/= money. Production = money. I agree that he was fantastic in the playoffs, but that's one year. I'm not handing a kid coming back for his sophomore season $3.5m a year unless he's the second coming of christ himself (Gretzky, of course). Nobody said they didn't like Marchand here, in fact the majority of us are interested in him. Calm down and read the posts before you go nuts on everyone.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=568564

In order for you to go high enough not to get them matched you kill yourself financially and will be exposing your own RFA's to poaching in later years.

I would have zero problem if Homer was to drop an offer sheet on a guy like Marchand. I'd expect and prepare as best I could for the repercussions. As a GM I definitely would be expecting it nowadays.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Kylie Sven Opossum

I think he's worth this kind of money. Kid is dynamite.

Kylie Sven Opossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:45 AM
TOML

Bigbeak is clutch, yo.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

I'd rather be Marchand than Sedin in that situation. At least someone stuck up for himself.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:49 AM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Or when Sedin took a run at him after the whistle and he flipped him and then fought I think Ballard who came after him. Pretty sure thats sticking up for yourself
Ballard is one of the smallest defensemen in the NHL. I'm sure Marchand was happy to drop the gloves with him.

I'd like to see Marchand talk-the-talk and then walk-the-walk with someone who isn't Keith Ballard or Andrew Cogliano (who he sucker-punched lying on the ice).

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Ballard is one of the smallest defensemen in the NHL. I'm sure Marchand was happy to drop the gloves with him.

I'd like to see Marchand talk-the-talk and then walk-the-walk with someone who isn't Keith Ballard or Andrew Cogliano.
Brad Marchand is 5'9''. It's a little unfair to expect him to go up against heavyweights just because he chirps and has an edge to his game.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:53 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:

I'd like to see Marchand talk-the-talk and then walk-the-walk with someone who isn't Keith Ballard or Andrew Cogliano (who he sucker-punched lying on the ice).
His job is to talk the talk and draw penalties. Others do the walking for him. He wouldn't be as effective if he fought too.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:56 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:

I'd like to see Kesler actually stand up for himself...

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:02 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
I'd like to see Kesler actually stand up for himself...
You should probably watch a few Vancouver games then. Kesler has no trouble standing up for himself. I would say that Marchand also has no trouble in that department.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:04 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

I highly doubt Marchand gets an offer sheet. The status quo for offer sheets appears to be GM1 calling GM2 and asking if GM2 plans to sign the guy. If GM2 plans to sign the guy, then no offer sheet. It's almost like it's a deal worked out between the two GMs. Doesn't seem to be a lot of actual intent to poach going on from what I can tell.

This of course means that I think Boston intends to sign Marchand.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:06 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Pretty confident that insurance will pay his contract since he was injured during a game and cannot play anymore. I think the same thing happened with Bryan Berard except when he came back he had to pay the money back
Most, if not all, insurance providers have this thing about not covering a pre existing condition.

The fact is that since Concussions have become so common in sports and quite the topic in the NHL specifically, I would be very surprised if there was not some language in the coverage that spoke to limited to potentially no payout should the player have to retire due to a concussion related injury.

Additionally, the issue between Savard and Berard are as different as night and day.

Totally different situations as one had never been injured (Berard) and the other has had 3 documented concussions (Savard).

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:10 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:

Marchand stood up to anyone that was willing... after the dropped one of the twins, he turned, dropped the gloves and grabbed the closest person in a white jersey.

Marchand took care of business... unlike Vancouver's players. Ehrhoff anyone?

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:11 PM
birddog*

More than $1,567,043 $3,134,088: Second-round pick

Too many chicken ***** and nice guy GMs in this league. GMs that haven't ever won a cup and built anything substantial.

I'd tidy up my back yard and then go after some RFAs. Even if Boston matches it messes there cap and limits their ability to make future moves.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:20 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Most, if not all, insurance providers have this thing about not covering a pre existing condition.

The fact is that since Concussions have become so common in sports and quite the topic in the NHL specifically, I would be very surprised if there was not some language in the coverage that spoke to limited to potentially no payout should the player have to retire due to a concussion related injury.
Maybe kdb or another CBA expert can chime in on this, but the way I understand CBA Article 23.4, Savard will receive his full salary if he retires after sustaining a career-ending injury, regardless of whether or not it was a pre-existing condition. Since it's not a 35+ contract it won't count against the Bruins' cap during the season -- not exactly the same as if he spent the season on LTIR but close enough.

That said, what (I believe?) is unspecified in the CBA and would be more relevant to your point is whether the Bruins or their insurer would be on the hook for covering that salary. It's possible the insurer may use a pre-existing condition clause and Mr. Jacobs would have to pick up the tab.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
You should probably watch a few Vancouver games then. Kesler has no trouble standing up for himself. I would say that Marchand also has no trouble in that department.
I'm pretty sure I remember him backing down when Jumbo wanted to rearrange his face...

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:45 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I'm pretty sure I remember him backing down when Jumbo wanted to rearrange his face...
Yeah, I really don't want Kesler dropping the gloves before the game's started. I understand why Thornton wanted to fire up his team but that would be a dumb move by Kesler.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

What do these players have in common?

Stamkos
Turris
Callahan
Wheeler
Dubinsky
Boedker
Bailey
Marchand
Purcell
Doughty
Bogosian
Parise
Weber
Schenn
Campoli
Wishart
Gorges

They're all RFAs who are currently unsigned. It's not a big deal. It happens all the time. At most, one or two sign an offer sheet. Most probably won't even have an offer sheet floated towards them.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
What do these players have in common?

Stamkos
Turris
Callahan
Wheeler
Dubinsky
Boedker
Bailey
Marchand
Purcell
Doughty
Bogosian
Parise
Weber
Schenn
Campoli
Wishart
Gorges

They're all RFAs who are currently unsigned. It's not a big deal. It happens all the time. At most, one or two sign an offer sheet. Most probably won't even have an offer sheet floated towards them.
They are all going to Toronto to form a super team?

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Having Bolland and Marchand on the same line would make me giddy

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
They are all going to Toronto to form a super team?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote