HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around The NHL Part XVI

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2011, 08:13 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Clermont and Kinkaid are significantly better prospects than Frazee at this juncture.
Neither have proven anything in the NHL though and it's still a big question for that organization.

Old
07-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Neither have proven anything in the NHL though and it's still a big question for that organization.
That's why they're called prospects. The kid Wedgewood has a good chance of being one of Canada's goalies at the World Juniors. What about your teams goalie prospects?

Old
07-17-2011, 08:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
That's why they're called prospects. The kid Wedgewood has a good chance of being one of Canada's goalies at the World Juniors. What about your teams goalie prospects?
Whoa calm down there champ, sorry that i'm telling the truth that goalie is a huge question for your team going forward. We don't a top goalie prospect because our goalie is still actually good.

Old
07-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Whoa calm down there champ, sorry that i'm telling the truth that goalie is a huge question for your team going forward. We don't a top goalie prospect because our goalie is still actually good.
But also hasn't won a thing. I watched him last year, he was good, but that was about it. And if he goes down, what than? Talk is cheap. I like our young kids in Josefson, Teneby, Palimeri and Henrique and love our young group of defensemen as well as our young goalies. Let the season begin and Bull**** end.

Old
07-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
But also hasn't won a thing. I watched him last year, he was good, but that was about it. And if he goes down, what than? Talk is cheap. I like our young kids in Josefson, Teneby, Palimeri and Henrique and love our young group of defensemen. Let the season begin and Bull**** end.
Lundqvist is much better than "good".

If he goes down, Biron is an admirable replacement; he was the starter for the Flyers a few seasons ago.

Old
07-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
Lundqvist is much better than "good".

If he goes down, Biron is an admirable replacement; he was the starter for the Flyers a few seasons ago.
He wasn't more than good last season. And when will he finally steal a big game?

Old
07-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I love when Devils fans with inferiority complex resort to trashing Henrik Lundqvist, who would be there #1 goalie today. Hey, maybe we can sign Brodeur to accompany Parise next year, of course as a back up.

Old
07-17-2011, 10:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
He wasn't more than good last season. And when will he finally steal a big game?
When he plays behind the trap and becomes the most overrated goalie of all time. If Lundqvist wasn't more than "good" last season, Brodeur was one of the worst in the NHL.

But I digress, I do like Tedenby a lot. Urbom, Merill and Larsson are also the core of a pretty good d-men group. But your team isn't going to dominate us like years past and right now personally I think we're the better team. Let's leave it at that before this becomes a big flamefest.

Old
07-17-2011, 10:51 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Devil fan coming over and saying Henrik is just "good?" Shocking.

I'm not going to say Brodeur hasn't had a great career. He has. He's won it all. But you have to acknowledge he has played behind a trap system virtually his entire career. And as everyone knows his goaltending style is a bit unorthodox, but it has worked for him....at least until the last couple years. As he has gotten older, and his defense/trap system has become weaker/shaky (not having guys like Stevens, Danekyo, Neidermayer, Rafalski, etc.) his unorthodox style has become very exposed. He has lost a step with age.

Henrik is in his prime and has a lot of years left in his career. He has been playing behind a very young defense that will get even younger this year though Staal and Girardi are considered veterans now. Henrik has stolen a lot of games for the rangers with the young D he has had to work with. Even when there were veterans mixed in such as Kalinin, Redden, Malik, etc., they were pretty average at best. And usually they weren't at their best. Henrik kept them in that playoff series this year and it really could've gone either way had the rangers had a little more scoring.

But whatever let devils fans attempt to plead their case. I will be shocked if they make the playoffs, let alone finish higher than the rangers as one devils poster claimed and was willing to bet on earlier in this thread.

Old
07-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:

Old
07-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
This. How about that game vs Vancouver when we won 1-0? Lundqvist stole the **** out of that game.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
07-18-2011, 12:26 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
This. How about that game vs Vancouver when we won 1-0? Lundqvist stole the **** out of that game.
It wasn't a big game, also known as "Lundqvist hasn't won a cup playing behind the trap so he's obviously not a good goalie!"

Old
07-18-2011, 04:27 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Not sure why the Devils are adding so many physical players. They still have Calrkson, Corrente and Fraser there too. Even Colin White is semi-tough. Now Janssens and Boulton to the mix? Devils/Rangers game are going to be fun to watch. They have the upper hand in the physical department though. We should have the upper hand just about everywhere else expect those two LW's in thier top 6!

Rupp better step up. He's going to have work against his old boys to do!
Unless Janssens and Boulton are going to play 20 mins a night, I don't see the Devils being close to the Rangers in terms of physical play. The Devils were badly outhit and outmuscled in each of the head to head matches last season - the reason is simple, they are an older, slower team that can't move the puck from their end so get killed by a sustained forecheck. The heavyweights may try to pick a fight but I don't see that bothering this Rangers team which will just keep on hitting. And of course Rupp is a wrestler not a fighter anyway.

NJ needs to get younger FAST but don't have the depth in the organization to do so. I'd be surprised if any of their prospects barring Larsson make much of an impact next season.

Old
07-18-2011, 04:28 AM
DutchShamrock

I guess Olympic gold only goes on Canadian resumes.

Old
07-18-2011, 09:01 AM
eco's bones

The problem with Frazee, Clermont, Wedgewood and Kinkaid is 1) how close is any single one of them to actually playing in the NHL? and 2) whether or not any of them has what it takes to be a starting NHL goaltender capable of taking his team to the playoffs? Because both of these questions are unclear at this point in time--and you'd almost have to figure that none of them will ever be Martin Brodeur HOF career replaceable. So at best it's like switching Scott Niedermayer for Andy Greene--something gets lost in the equation and the Devils have been doing that kind of thing for a while.

The Devils do have at least 1 potentially elite prospect--Larsson and a few very good prospects--Josefsson, Tedenby, Merrill and Urbom to work in but they all will need more time to develop and grow and it wouldn't be a shock if one or two of them doesn't work out quite to expectations. I'm not sure I'd rank any of their prospect goalies with this group.

If somehow they lose Parise in the next season or two they're going to be in a total rebuild mode and it will take some time to get all the gears meshing.

Old
07-18-2011, 09:46 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Not sure why the Devils are adding so many physical players. They still have Calrkson, Corrente and Fraser there too. Even Colin White is semi-tough. Now Janssens and Boulton to the mix? Devils/Rangers game are going to be fun to watch. They have the upper hand in the physical department though. We should have the upper hand just about everywhere else expect those two LW's in thier top 6!

Rupp better step up. He's going to have work against his old boys to do!
I'll take guys like Callahan/Dubinsky/Sauer/McDonagh/Prust/Avery etc. who can actually play hockey along with playing a tough style of play. That's the new NHL. Even Rupp is a significant upgrade from the Orr's/Brashear's/Boogaard's that we've been going to in years past. You need guys who can play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
If the ridiculous run last year is CitiField, the Devils are actually somewhere in Western Pennsylvania... Maybe near Erie. Don't let that run fool you.
I still find it hard to believe that people actually think the Devils are more like the team they were in the first half than in the second. Sure, both were total extremes. However, I will never understand how year after year so many Rangers fans act like the Devils aren't going to be any good.

Last year was the first year in what, like 15 years or some **** they haven't made the playoffs? And the first year in how long that they haven't finished ahead of us in the standings?

I understand the makeup of both organizations has changed dramatically in that time period. I just don't understand how people think that the Devils won't be right there competing for a playoff spot this season. Brodeur to me is their weakest link, and even though it seems like EVERY goal he gives up is so hilariously weak, he still played extremely well at times last year. IMO he should play around 50-55 games this year and Moose should get the rest. His ego and the way the Devils let him do what he wants probably won't let that happen though, which I believe is to our benefit.

Still, while it's insane to think they'll play anywhere near as well as they did during their run last year, I think it's even more insane to assume that they'll be close to the first half team than the second half.

Haven't Ranger fans figured out by now that it doesn't matter how crappy that team looks on paper, they almost always find a way to win? Now if you want to argue recent playoff success so be it. I'm talking more about overall consistency. Anyone with eyes can see that. It's just odd how much that's pushed aside by so many as irrelevant.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I'll take guys like Callahan/Dubinsky/Sauer/McDonagh/Prust/Avery etc. who can actually play hockey along with playing a tough style of play. That's the new NHL. Even Rupp is a significant upgrade from the Orr's/Brashear's/Boogaard's that we've been going to in years past. You need guys who can play.

I still find it hard to believe that people actually think the Devils are more like the team they were in the first half than in the second. Sure, both were total extremes. However, I will never understand how year after year so many Rangers fans act like the Devils aren't going to be any good.

Last year was the first year in what, like 15 years or some **** they haven't made the playoffs? And the first year in how long that they haven't finished ahead of us in the standings?

I understand the makeup of both organizations has changed dramatically in that time period. I just don't understand how people think that the Devils won't be right there competing for a playoff spot this season. Brodeur to me is their weakest link, and even though it seems like EVERY goal he gives up is so hilariously weak, he still played extremely well at times last year. IMO he should play around 50-55 games this year and Moose should get the rest. His ego and the way the Devils let him do what he wants probably won't let that happen though, which I believe is to our benefit.

Still, while it's insane to think they'll play anywhere near as well as they did during their run last year, I think it's even more insane to assume that they'll be close to the first half team than the second half.

Haven't Ranger fans figured out by now that it doesn't matter how crappy that team looks on paper, they almost always find a way to win? Now if you want to argue recent playoff success so be it. I'm talking more about overall consistency. Anyone with eyes can see that. It's just odd how much that's pushed aside by so many as irrelevant.
It's very simple. Look at their roster, age, team speed and defense going into next season and the competition in the EC. Even if they trap and attack only using a counter over all 82 games, they will most likely only be mediocre.

To say the Devils with that roster should still get an intangible benefit because they were good pre-lockout is more superstition than analysis. And who exactly in that mickey mouse coaching situation is going to tell Brodeur he can only play 50 games?

Old
07-18-2011, 11:09 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
It's very simple. Look at their roster, age, team speed and defense going into next season and the competition in the EC. Even if they trap and attack only using a counter over all 82 games, they will most likely only be mediocre.

To say the Devils with that roster should still get an intangible benefit because they were good pre-lockout is more superstition than analysis. And who exactly in that mickey mouse coaching situation is going to tell Brodeur he can only play 50 games?

Two years ago they finished with 103 points and won the division. Can you tell me who was on that team that's not here now that's really going to make that big of a difference? Langenbrunner? Not the same player he once was, and was more of a cancer to that team in the end than anything else. Who else? Bergfors? Oooo he'll be sorely missed. Even Martin in his final year with the team only had 11 points.

The Devils weren't just good pre-lockout Tank....they missed the playoffs last year for the first time in 13 years. In the six years since the lockout they've won the division 4 times, finished 2nd once with 99 points, and then there was last year. What exactly are you talking about I'm basing it off pre-lockout? Like I said if you want to argue recent playoff success be my guest. I'm not talking about that. Most in here are talking about their chances at the playoffs.

Look at the rosters they've had the past few years. This organization has a history of the whole being greater than the sum of their parts.

Is that me being superstitious and not analytical? I'm not sure.

All I know is anyone who has watched hockey has seen them do year after year, outside of last season (a season in which they went on the most impressive run possibly in the history of the game).

So am I the crazy one here? Or are you and all the Rangers fans who year after year after year after year after year talk about how the Devils aren't going to be good this season?

We'll see I guess. I don't expect them to be great, but I'm not sure why people think they don't have a chance to make the playoffs in the east. That's ridiculous.

Old
07-18-2011, 11:11 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
But also hasn't won a thing. I watched him last year, he was good, but that was about it. And if he goes down, what than? Talk is cheap. I like our young kids in Josefson, Teneby, Palimeri and Henrique and love our young group of defensemen as well as our young goalies. Let the season begin and Bull**** end.
The bolded above is the biggest load of crap anyone can say about a player...so if I use your logic I have to say Jay Wells was a better dman than Brad Park because Park never won a Cup.

You know what if Henrik gets to the finals and plays like Luongo did then I will absolutely agree with you...but he hasn't had a good enough team in front of him.

Old
07-18-2011, 11:13 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Obvioulsy didn't watch the series against the Caps, he kept them in every game. In fact I argue with many of my fellow Ranger fans who think that the series was evenly played, it wasn't, Henrik's performance makes them think it was closer than it actually was.

When was the last time Fatso stole a big game?

Old
07-18-2011, 11:51 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post

Totally agree...way too many people underestimating the Devils.

Old
07-18-2011, 12:16 PM
The Perfect Paradox

EDIT- Double Post

Old
07-18-2011, 12:18 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Really? I guess this picture is photoshopped then?

Old
07-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

When I look at the Devils I see a team without the most important thing in this league: depth. They have some good players, in fact they have some VERY good pieces. But the team is shallow. I don't think they're as bad as they were for the first half, but they're much closer to that than to the other extreme of the crazy run.

Old
07-18-2011, 12:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Totally agree...way too many people underestimating the Devils.
There's many elements working against their favor:

-Brodeur is no where close to the level of goaltender he was during his prime years. He can't be counted on to compensate for other shortcomings in their team game anymore. Another sub-par season or a season affected by injuries, and he could very likely hang them up next summer following the expiration of his contract. Who are the Devils replacing him with?

-Parise is looking destined for a 1 year deal and potentially poised to become a UFA next summer where he will have multiple suitors. How this upcoming season unfolds could have a big impact on what happens with Parise if he chooses to hit the open market

-There are still uncertainties and question marks regarding their head coaching job. Lemaire seems to be the best candidate for the job, but he wants to retire and is no long term solution for the team. Who is their head coach going to be? Will he be best for their $100 mil forward? What game plan will the team employ on the ice?

-Devils roster lacks some of the cohesiveness of past teams that dominated during the regular season. Volchenkov and Tallinder, while they bounced back from the poor first half of the season, are not exactly the defensive cornerstones the Devils probably thought they were getting when they signed them both last summer. Devils do not have a certified anchor back on their defense, and no true offensive defenseman who can run things from the back-end... Colin White is up there in age and not really that effective anymore. Not too terribly impressed with their other d-men... Devils are going to need a really solid defense to compensate for the declining Brodeur, and for the soon to be Devils sans Brodeur.

-You look at the composition of their roster, and they to some degree resemble the Rangers first couple seasons, post-lockout. They have some aging veteran players whose better days are behind them (Elias, Rolston, Zubrus to an extent))... They additionally have some young, inexperienced players, who are only ready to play more of a supportive role, and then they have some inconsequential role players.

That being said, even if the Devils do manage to comfortably make the playoffs, I don't' see any aspect of their team that would suggest they would be poised for any post-season success. They are not a deep team up front, the signings of Janssen & Boulton in addition to the presence of Clarkson is a real head scratcher. Devils certainly have a litany of issues to work through, and you couldn't really say that about the teams that were dominant during the regular seasons in the past.

Closed Thread