HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #19

View Poll Results: Who is the #19 Rangers prospect?
Jason Wilson 5 7.35%
Mikhail Pashnin 48 70.59%
Andreas Thuresson 3 4.41%
Scott Stajcer 1 1.47%
Cameron Talbot 2 2.94%
Blake Parlett 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers Prospect Poll: #19

Dale Weise won the tie-breaker in round 18 by a good margin. Scott Stajcer became the second goalie in our poll.

Don't forget to write-in who should be added in the next round. Also would be good to include a discussion/argument on why you voted for a particular prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. D Ryan McDonagh
3. D Tim Erixon
4. RW Christian Thomas
5. D Dylan McIlrath
6. LW Mats Zuccarello
7. LW J.T. Miller
8. LW Carl Hagelin
9. RW Jesper Fasth
10. D Pavel Valentenko

SECOND-TIER PROSPECTS

11. C Oscar Lindberg
12. D Tomas Kundratek
13. LW Ryan Bourque
14. C Andrew Yogan
15. C Steven Fogarty
16. RW Shane McColgan
17. C Michael St. Croix
18. RW Dale Weise

Dale Weise
Right Wing
Born Aug 5 1988 -- Winnipeg, MAN
Height 6.02 -- Weight 206 -- Shoots R

2010-11 Hartford Wolf Pack/CT Whale AHL 47 18 20 38 73

"He's very underrated as a goal-scorer, so I would have expected close to 20 in his first year, and I'm not at all surprised he got this many (28) in his second year. I think this is a big off-season for him in getting himself prepared to take a run at a position on the Rangers. He had a great year for us in Hartford... He's got a combination of size and skating. The thing we licked about him in juniors was his penchant for finishing checks. He still does and can pop anybody. He plays an all-around game and plays in all positions."
- Gordie Clark

"I do have some skill, too. I'm not a guy that just fights and mucks. I think I can score, and eventually someday, I can probably score 20 goals in the NHL."
- Dale Weise

Old
07-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

LW JASON WILSON

Tough, banging winger projected to play on the bottom two lines as a physical player who can hopefully add some offense.

"Wilson is going to surprise some people. He can really play.”
-Gordie Clark

D MIKHAIL PASHNIN

Hard-hitting defenseman with an all-around game. Similar in style to Scott Stevens, though obviously nowhere near as talented. However, he is on the first pairing defenseman in the KHL at the age of 21.

"Pashnin is a warrior, who goes all out in games and does everything it takes to win. He is a good influence on his teammates, because he has great character and is a solid, hard-working player... He acclimated very well on the Red Army team and to the big city. Since playing at the KHL level, he has really improved his intensity and quickness. His body-checking has become harder and he plays a stronger physical game. He is a very hard player to play against and he plays with a lot of confidence."
- Vladimir Lutchenko, the Rangers' Russian scout.

"He plays like a North American. I loved what I saw from him in the 2008 Canada-Russia Challenge series. The Canadian players came after the Russians, and this guy just gave it right back to them. He's just a real warrior."
- Gordie Clark in 2010.

"The KHL arenas have wider ice, and there's very little hitting, but Pashnin's game is a North American game, and that's why he stood out at Development Camp last year. The way he plays is very North American. Defenseman Mikhail Pashnin, the Rangers' seventh-round pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, celebrates the MHL championship he won with Red Army 2, the top affiliate of CSKA Moscow on April 22, just a few weeks before he turned 22 years old... He came here and he opened a lot of eyes"
- Gordie Clark in 2011.

RW Andreas Thuresson

A two-way player with good size and an aggressive, physical game, but has limited offensive skills.

Could not find any quotes on him.

G SCOTT STAJCER

Put up good stats behind a bad team. Good size and good at controlling rebounds, but needs to improve his positioning.

"We had him scheduled to go earlier in that draft, but our scouts read the draft and we figured we could maybe grab some other guys and still get Scott. In the end it doesn't matter where you get him. For a fifth-round pick he's got a heck of a shot at the NHL."
- Gordie Clark

G CAMERON TALBOT

Goalie with good size on a weak team. Did for his college team what Lundqvist did in his early days: keep a bad team in the game, giving them a chance. Dominated at every level he played at, though he was always in rather weak places (OPJHL, College Hockey America). Almost defeated the top ranked Miami-Ohio while backstopping the very weak UofA team.

"He has size and the athleticism we like, and he was able to keep a very weak team competitive... I told our scout I expected them to get spanked in the game, but they won," said Clark. "They won it and got to go to the NCAA tournament, so I sent another couple guys in to watch him. They got beat in that second game, but in both games, they were in it... Benoit (Allaire) really likes him."
- Gordie Clark

D BLAKE PARLETT

Offensive defenseman with good size. ECHL All-Star in 2011.

“A good defenseman has to be able to move the puck, whether it’s in transition, regrouping, breaking out or making plays under pressure. He does all those things, and those are often skills that I try to polish in young defensemen who come here. If you have a kid who shows up and has that element in his game, it’s a good plus.”
- Whale Assistant Coach J.J.Daigneault.

“I like the way he moves the puck, and he’s a strong skater, so that’s always helpful when you’re defending and can close the gap and take away time and space. He’s really poised with the puck; he doesn’t just throw it away, which is part of being a good player. And he makes plays that make a difference in the course of a game."
- Whale Coach Ken Gernander.

Old
07-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Going with Talbott. The kid has done phenomenally at every level he's played in. Playing for the last-ranked U of Alabama he almost defeated the #1 ranked Miami-Ohio. And that has been his story at every level.

Again, add Sam Noreau. He's a recent 5th round pick. McColgan got drafted the same round and he's gotten a spot 3 rounds ago. No way that Noreau shouldn't be there now.

Old
07-18-2011, 02:34 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
what will be really funny is Pashnin didn't win this one lololol

Old
07-18-2011, 02:36 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Parlett. Add Noreau.

Old
07-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesins54 View Post
what will be really funny is Pashnin didn't win this one lololol

Usually, the loser of the tiebreaker wins the next round, though I'm hoping that won't be the case here. I don't think the next Vladimir Denisov should be ranked in our top-20.

Notice that almost everyone defending Pashnin brings up the KHL draft and doesn't understand anything about the way the KHL draft works.

If we are going to be choosing low-end physical defensemen, then Blake Parlett is clearly a superior prospect. They were born 2 days apart, Parlett is bigger and stronger, and he's established himself as a very competent AHL defenseman, while Pashnin has been a bubble player for a struggling, non-playoff team in the KHL.

Old
07-18-2011, 02:56 PM
eco's bones

Pashnin. Johnson.

Old
07-18-2011, 03:23 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Going with Parlett.

Put up solid numbers in the AHL last season. He could be a guy who is a career AHLer, but might be able to latch onto a 6/7 spot on some nhl team. Always like guys who had to pay their dues and are playing well in a league.

Add Noreau.

Old
07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Andreas Thuresson, easily. If Dale Weise is off the board on account of his readiness, then Thuresson, with his 25 NHL games, should be next.

Add Petr Ceresnak.

It's just pain.
Old
07-18-2011, 03:35 PM
xxxZENxxx

Not sure why Wilson isn't getting any love.

Old
07-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

In the first poll that I conducted two years ago, we went all the way to #35. I thought it was justified at the time before we had just so many prospects.

A bunch of guys ranked after the top-20 are still seen as prospects:

21. LW Carl Hagelin
23. RW Dale Weise
24. G Chad Johnson
28. RW Roman Horak
29. C Max Campbell
31. D Mikhail Pashnin
35. G Scott Stajcer

Hagelin should be a good third liner and Weise should be at least a fourth liner. It's possible that one of the other prospects (most likely Horak) will make the NHL.

So I definitely think it's worth voting beyond the top-20 because we are still talking about (some) guys who will be players that are going to be either NHLers or at least long-time prospects on whom we won't give up for a while.

Old
07-18-2011, 03:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
They're prospects, but does anyone care to vote between guys like Stu Bickel and Jason Missiaen? I think you should just go to 25, and then add on honorable mentions. No point voting past 25 IMO, as the difference between those guys is negligible.

Old
07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
ocarina

Thurreson quite easily, I actually have him and Weise around the same.

Old
07-18-2011, 03:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
As they should be. They're both guys that are bottom six players that could skate with the club tomorrow. Limited upside, but ready.

Old
07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
He doesn't seem like a future NHL player to me. Didn't put up good numbers as an overager. He will likely be a decent grinder at the AHL level at most.

Old
07-18-2011, 03:48 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Probably because he isn't that good.

Still, I'm going Parlett next (after Thuresson that is), then Wilson.

Old
07-18-2011, 03:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

pashnin. add noreau.

Old
07-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
As they should be. They're both guys that are bottom six players that could skate with the club tomorrow. Limited upside, but ready.
That is about the long and short of it.

Could be injury callups this year.

07-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
They're prospects, but does anyone care to vote between guys like Stu Bickel and Jason Missiaen? I think you should just go to 25, and then add on honorable mentions. No point voting past 25 IMO, as the difference between those guys is negligible.

Yeah, that's what I was going to do. At first I thought to go to the top 20, but then a couple of rounds ago I thought we still had decent prospects left over. So I figured I will look a couple of years back to see if we had any past-20 prospects who turned out to be decent, and we did have just that.

I think going to 25 makes sense.

After the top-25, the 5 players who made it into the poll, but didn't win any round will be "Honorable Mentions." All other prospects will be listed as "Rangers Property" because if someone can't even make it into the poll, he is probably not much of a prospect.

I will also list JAM and Kale Kerbashian as "Honorable Mentions with AHL contracts". Had Jam been signed to an NHL contract, I am sure he'd have been voted onto the list as one of the top-25 guys, and there's a substantial likelihood that so would Kale, or at least he'd have been in the poll and therefore got the right to be an Honorable Mention.

Last edited by Beacon: 07-18-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old
07-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Parlett. The kid looked too good in Hartford to be undrafted. Love what he brings.

Old
07-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post

Not really.

1) Thurreson is a year older which matters at this key age. A 23 year old still has 1-2 years that he'll still be improving. A 24 year old has at most a few months of additional improvement, so he's really just putting icing on the cake at this point.

2) Weise's goals per game is almost the same as Thur's points per game. Goals vs Total Points.

3) Weise is also a little bigger and significantly tougher.

Sure, the difference doesn't seen enormous, but it never is when comparing a bottom-6 NHLer to a top-6 AHLer. Weise seems to me to be just better enough to be an NHL player, whereas Thurr peaked just below where he has to be to crack the NHL.

Old
07-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
Pashnin. Add Noreau

Old
07-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I really think people are underestimating Weise. He's very close: if he improves his skating and his fighting just a little bit, he'll be a valuable NHLer as good as Michael Rupp (smaller, but more skilled).

Old
07-18-2011, 05:00 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Weise, add Johnson.

RANGERS =
Old
07-18-2011, 05:06 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Not really.

1) Thurreson is a year older which matters at this key age. A 23 year old still has 1-2 years that he'll still be improving. A 24 year old has at most a few months of additional improvement, so he's really just putting icing on the cake at this point.

2) Weise's goals per game is almost the same as Thur's points per game. Goals vs Total Points.

3) Weise is also a little bigger and significantly tougher.

Sure, the difference doesn't seen enormous, but it never is when comparing a bottom-6 NHLer to a top-6 AHLer. Weise seems to me to be just better enough to be an NHL player, whereas Thurr peaked just below where he has to be to crack the NHL.
You might be underselling Thuresson. He had 22 NHL games by age 22. Nashville fans say he was buried in the AHL this past season because they have an abundance of bottom six grinders as it is. Just like us with Weise.

Weise has been a better scorer in the AHL, but how will that scoring touch translate to the pros? I don't think it will. I think he, like Thuresson, will be a fourth line player always on the bubble going into camp each year.

I have no issue with Weise over Thuresson at this point, but I think in terms of NHL projectability they're extremely close in value.

Closed Thread