Notices

UFAs / Roster Changes / Trades / Qualifying Offers 2011? Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2011, 06:31 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 500
The concept of a scoring 3rd line is fine, exciting even. But players who put up points cost more than players who don't. So it would be harder to do that. But that's what young players are good for, if the coach plays them.

Sojourn is right that they should at least put some kind of pressure on. Don't just stand back in a shell, because it won't work. Even if it's just "frustrating Getzlaf-Perry endless cycle," that's something.

In the end I don't really care how the bottom 2 lines get it done. Score? Great. Don't score but defend? Sure, why not. All I care about is they are solid enough that the coach plays them appreciable minutes. Don't force him to overplay the stars.

One has to wonder if a reason for switching coaches would be to move to one who does play the lower lines more. Might weaken the team for any one game, but it might also keep them fresher for a full season and playoffs. Carlyle certainly has his favorites.

Old
07-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Thanks. Been a hectic year.

Can't wait for next season though. Friggin off-season has already been too long.
No kidding. Not quite down to counting the days, yet, as that's still too depressing with the numer still being in the 80s or something, but I am really looking forward to the new season. Not just from a Ducks point of view, the busy offseason has created a lot of teams I'm really looking forward to see, and find out how they end up playing. It's been a fantastic offseason in that regard already.

Hopefully the hectic-ness will go down at the latest once we're headed to October for you.

Old
07-18-2011, 07:11 PM
alx83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Even if it's just "frustrating Getzlaf-Perry endless cycle," that's something.

In the end I don't really care how the bottom 2 lines get it done. Score? Great. Don't score but defend? Sure, why not. All I care about is they are solid enough that the coach plays them appreciable minutes.
Exactly. I'll actually take the endless cycle, that means more time for poor old Selanne and our RPG to rest.

Old
07-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
No kidding. Not quite down to counting the days, yet, as that's still too depressing with the numer still being in the 80s or something, but I am really looking forward to the new season. Not just from a Ducks point of view, the busy offseason has created a lot of teams I'm really looking forward to see, and find out how they end up playing. It's been a fantastic offseason in that regard already.

Hopefully the hectic-ness will go down at the latest once we're headed to October for you.
(grumble) Yeah. Off-season moves... bleh! I'm not happy that Los Angeles improved their team, or that San Jose added Burns and Havlat.

I'm not mad at Murray for not making a big move, mind you. I don't think this was the right time for it. I think the Ducks are better off making smaller adjustments right now. If he can keep improving the team piece by piece they will reach a point where they can add that one piece and be a legit contender. That's the time I think Murray should go big. We're not there yet. If he does it prematurely we'd lose some valuable assets, and I think it would set the team back a couple of years.

Old
07-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
(grumble) Yeah. Off-season moves... bleh! I'm not happy that Los Angeles improved their team, or that San Jose added Burns and Havlat.

I'm not mad at Murray for not making a big move, mind you. I don't think this was the right time for it. I think the Ducks are better off making smaller adjustments right now. If he can keep improving the team piece by piece they will reach a point where they can add that one piece and be a legit contender. That's the time I think Murray should go big. We're not there yet. If he does it prematurely we'd lose some valuable assets, and I think it would set the team back a couple of years.
Once again, pretty much precisely the way I look at things as well. My excitement over LA's and SJ's moves obviously is rather limited as well. (Besides the fantasy GM in me that already cashed in on Jon Quick and enjoys the sudden skyrise in value for Havlat.) I rather think about the likes of Philly, Minnesota, Buffalo, or Columbus, and some others, that have changed pretty much, for what was expected to be a boring summer due to a relatively weak free agent class. Funny how these things turn out sometimes.

Old
07-18-2011, 08:27 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Now that Bonino, Maroon, and Carle contracts are taken care of, the only re-signings Murray needs to work on are Cogliano and Selanne.

Old
07-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Now that Bonino, Maroon, and Carle contracts are taken care of, the only re-signings Murray needs to work on are Cogliano and Selanne.
And our 4th line center

Old
07-19-2011, 12:06 AM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
And our 4th line center
and maybe a 3rd line RW

Old
07-19-2011, 12:39 AM
HoshiBlitz

Anyone interested in Hagman? He could be had for anything.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoshiBlitz View Post
Anyone interested in Hagman? He could be had for anything.
I think his price tag would be a major turnoff for the Ducks.

Old
07-20-2011, 02:31 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Veteran 4th line center?

AnaheimDucks Anaheim Ducks
#NHLDucks sign C Mark Bell, a veteran of seven NHL seasons who played last year in Swiss-A League, to a one-year contract. Details coming

Old
07-20-2011, 02:41 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

I've seen him play live. In the Norwegian (!!!) league during the lockout. Guess he's a okey 3rd/4th liner.

Old
07-20-2011, 02:44 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Hasn't even been in the NHL since 2008 when we were defending champions. Hope to hear details about the contract soon.

Old
07-20-2011, 02:46 PM
hitt

Send a message via ICQ to hitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
Veteran 4th line center?

AnaheimDucks Anaheim Ducks
#NHLDucks sign C Mark Bell, a veteran of seven NHL seasons who played last year in Swiss-A League, to a one-year contract. Details coming
This is weird. Just a couple of days ago I was checking his stats on hockeydb as part of my curiosity to Leafs' flops in recent years. And now he's signed by the Ducks

Can't really say I remember or know a lot about this guy, especially from his Swiss years. Doesn't seem like he was lighting it up in Switzerland either. I remember him having a couple of good seasons for the Blackhawks, but that's about it. What happened to this guy? And most importantly, what is he good for?

Old
07-20-2011, 02:48 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Selected by Chicago Blackhawks round 1 #8 overall 1998 NHL Entry Draft

Ohh it all makes sense now.

Old
07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
Selected by Chicago Blackhawks round 1 #8 overall 1998 NHL Entry Draft

Ohh it all makes sense now.
lol.. typical BM signing

Old
07-20-2011, 04:42 PM
airforceones25

^ Murray did draft the guy

Old
07-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
^ Murray did draft the guy

Old
07-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

I think he will slot in nicely on the 4th line.

Bell - X - Parros

Edit: Or at least challenge for a spot.

Old
07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Unholy
waifu

Murray likes former 1sts and Burke likes guys he drafted/was on his team that are past their prime.

Not a serious move anyone should care about too much either way. Maroon has a better shot I'd think.

Old
07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

OT but anyone know how Buffalo plans to get under the cap? According to capgeek they are 3 million over right now.

Old
07-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
OT but anyone know how Buffalo plans to get under the cap? According to capgeek they are 3 million over right now.
Brad Boyes is the popular guess in that regard on his $4m (cap hit/salary) deal. Morrison another one, but would be harder to move. Not sure if they are planning on playing Kotalik in the NHL, or bury his $3m deal in the minors. To be honest, if all of those don't happen, I wouldn't even rule out newly signed Sekera, but that's probably the least likely option out of these...

Old
07-20-2011, 06:53 PM
alx83*

Boyes is as close as gone as you can be in my opinion. I also believe Murray was lying about the budget the entire time and we're trading for Boyes.

Boyes-Cogliano-McMillan will be our third line.

Old
07-20-2011, 10:46 PM
OilBuoy

Schremp, Wellwood or Zherdev to the Ducks a possibility?

Could come cheap and provide some depth and *potential* offensive production

Old
07-21-2011, 12:31 PM
hitt

Send a message via ICQ to hitt
There was a story about Teemu in the Finnish Iltalehti. He was practicing on ice, playing with his boys and also a Finnish race driver Kimi Räikkönen (if anyone cares, just to point out it wasn't very intense or serious).

He stated that he will play only if his knee is healthy. On that day he was skating without any medication just to see how his knee is recovering and he's still experiencing pain in his knee. He said somedays are better but somedays are worse, that day was obviously worse. He's not allowed to run or play tennis by his doctor.

So all in all, slow news day and he's quite not there yet. Hopefully he will recover 100% and let one of the greatest stories in hockey continue. For one more year.

EDIT: Alrighty, seems like this topic is already being discussed in the Teemu's Blog discussion. My apologies.

Last edited by hitt: 07-21-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Closed Thread