HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFAs / Roster Changes / Trades / Qualifying Offers 2011? Part IV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-18-2011, 06:31 PM
  #26
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,636
vCash: 500
The concept of a scoring 3rd line is fine, exciting even. But players who put up points cost more than players who don't. So it would be harder to do that. But that's what young players are good for, if the coach plays them.

Sojourn is right that they should at least put some kind of pressure on. Don't just stand back in a shell, because it won't work. Even if it's just "frustrating Getzlaf-Perry endless cycle," that's something.

In the end I don't really care how the bottom 2 lines get it done. Score? Great. Don't score but defend? Sure, why not. All I care about is they are solid enough that the coach plays them appreciable minutes. Don't force him to overplay the stars.

One has to wonder if a reason for switching coaches would be to move to one who does play the lower lines more. Might weaken the team for any one game, but it might also keep them fresher for a full season and playoffs. Carlyle certainly has his favorites.

snarktacular is offline  
Old
07-18-2011, 06:50 PM
  #27
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Thanks. Been a hectic year.

Can't wait for next season though. Friggin off-season has already been too long.
No kidding. Not quite down to counting the days, yet, as that's still too depressing with the numer still being in the 80s or something, but I am really looking forward to the new season. Not just from a Ducks point of view, the busy offseason has created a lot of teams I'm really looking forward to see, and find out how they end up playing. It's been a fantastic offseason in that regard already.

Hopefully the hectic-ness will go down at the latest once we're headed to October for you.

Vipers31 is offline  
Old
07-18-2011, 07:11 PM
  #28
alx83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Even if it's just "frustrating Getzlaf-Perry endless cycle," that's something.

In the end I don't really care how the bottom 2 lines get it done. Score? Great. Don't score but defend? Sure, why not. All I care about is they are solid enough that the coach plays them appreciable minutes.
Exactly. I'll actually take the endless cycle, that means more time for poor old Selanne and our RPG to rest.

alx83* is offline  
Old
07-18-2011, 07:40 PM
  #29
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 25,485
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
No kidding. Not quite down to counting the days, yet, as that's still too depressing with the numer still being in the 80s or something, but I am really looking forward to the new season. Not just from a Ducks point of view, the busy offseason has created a lot of teams I'm really looking forward to see, and find out how they end up playing. It's been a fantastic offseason in that regard already.

Hopefully the hectic-ness will go down at the latest once we're headed to October for you.
(grumble) Yeah. Off-season moves... bleh! I'm not happy that Los Angeles improved their team, or that San Jose added Burns and Havlat.

I'm not mad at Murray for not making a big move, mind you. I don't think this was the right time for it. I think the Ducks are better off making smaller adjustments right now. If he can keep improving the team piece by piece they will reach a point where they can add that one piece and be a legit contender. That's the time I think Murray should go big. We're not there yet. If he does it prematurely we'd lose some valuable assets, and I think it would set the team back a couple of years.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
07-18-2011, 08:01 PM
  #30
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
(grumble) Yeah. Off-season moves... bleh! I'm not happy that Los Angeles improved their team, or that San Jose added Burns and Havlat.

I'm not mad at Murray for not making a big move, mind you. I don't think this was the right time for it. I think the Ducks are better off making smaller adjustments right now. If he can keep improving the team piece by piece they will reach a point where they can add that one piece and be a legit contender. That's the time I think Murray should go big. We're not there yet. If he does it prematurely we'd lose some valuable assets, and I think it would set the team back a couple of years.
Once again, pretty much precisely the way I look at things as well. My excitement over LA's and SJ's moves obviously is rather limited as well. (Besides the fantasy GM in me that already cashed in on Jon Quick and enjoys the sudden skyrise in value for Havlat.) I rather think about the likes of Philly, Minnesota, Buffalo, or Columbus, and some others, that have changed pretty much, for what was expected to be a boring summer due to a relatively weak free agent class. Funny how these things turn out sometimes.

Vipers31 is offline  
Old
07-18-2011, 08:27 PM
  #31
McDonald19
Hampus
 
McDonald19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 17,238
vCash: 500
Now that Bonino, Maroon, and Carle contracts are taken care of, the only re-signings Murray needs to work on are Cogliano and Selanne.

McDonald19 is offline  
Old
07-18-2011, 08:49 PM
  #32
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 10,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Now that Bonino, Maroon, and Carle contracts are taken care of, the only re-signings Murray needs to work on are Cogliano and Selanne.
And our 4th line center

Duck Off is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:06 AM
  #33
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
And our 4th line center
and maybe a 3rd line RW

bumperkisser is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:39 AM
  #34
HoshiBlitz
Registered User
 
HoshiBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red mile.
Posts: 527
vCash: 500
Anyone interested in Hagman? He could be had for anything.

HoshiBlitz is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 01:08 AM
  #35
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 25,485
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoshiBlitz View Post
Anyone interested in Hagman? He could be had for anything.
I think his price tag would be a major turnoff for the Ducks.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 02:31 PM
  #36
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs
 
davidy2d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
Veteran 4th line center?

AnaheimDucks Anaheim Ducks
#NHLDucks sign C Mark Bell, a veteran of seven NHL seasons who played last year in Swiss-A League, to a one-year contract. Details coming

davidy2d is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 02:41 PM
  #37
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend
 
quentez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
I've seen him play live. In the Norwegian (!!!) league during the lockout. Guess he's a okey 3rd/4th liner.

quentez is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 02:44 PM
  #38
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs
 
davidy2d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
Hasn't even been in the NHL since 2008 when we were defending champions. Hope to hear details about the contract soon.

davidy2d is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 02:46 PM
  #39
hitt
Registered User
 
hitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sultanate of Savonia
Country: Finland
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to hitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
Veteran 4th line center?

AnaheimDucks Anaheim Ducks
#NHLDucks sign C Mark Bell, a veteran of seven NHL seasons who played last year in Swiss-A League, to a one-year contract. Details coming
This is weird. Just a couple of days ago I was checking his stats on hockeydb as part of my curiosity to Leafs' flops in recent years. And now he's signed by the Ducks

Can't really say I remember or know a lot about this guy, especially from his Swiss years. Doesn't seem like he was lighting it up in Switzerland either. I remember him having a couple of good seasons for the Blackhawks, but that's about it. What happened to this guy? And most importantly, what is he good for?

hitt is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 02:48 PM
  #40
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs
 
davidy2d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
Selected by Chicago Blackhawks round 1 #8 overall 1998 NHL Entry Draft


Ohh it all makes sense now.

davidy2d is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
  #41
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
Selected by Chicago Blackhawks round 1 #8 overall 1998 NHL Entry Draft


Ohh it all makes sense now.
lol.. typical BM signing

bumperkisser is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 04:42 PM
  #42
airforceones25
Registered User
 
airforceones25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 500
^ Murray did draft the guy

airforceones25 is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 05:10 PM
  #43
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 9,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
^ Murray did draft the guy

Sean Garrity is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 05:16 PM
  #44
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy
 
Crowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,613
vCash: 500
I think he will slot in nicely on the 4th line.

Bell - X - Parros

Edit: Or at least challenge for a spot.

Crowdy is online now  
Old
07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
  #45
Unholy
waifu
 
Unholy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,815
vCash: 500
Murray likes former 1sts and Burke likes guys he drafted/was on his team that are past their prime.

Not a serious move anyone should care about too much either way. Maroon has a better shot I'd think.

Unholy is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
  #46
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 10,763
vCash: 500
OT but anyone know how Buffalo plans to get under the cap? According to capgeek they are 3 million over right now.

Duck Off is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 05:58 PM
  #47
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
OT but anyone know how Buffalo plans to get under the cap? According to capgeek they are 3 million over right now.
Brad Boyes is the popular guess in that regard on his $4m (cap hit/salary) deal. Morrison another one, but would be harder to move. Not sure if they are planning on playing Kotalik in the NHL, or bury his $3m deal in the minors. To be honest, if all of those don't happen, I wouldn't even rule out newly signed Sekera, but that's probably the least likely option out of these...

Vipers31 is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 06:53 PM
  #48
alx83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Boyes is as close as gone as you can be in my opinion. I also believe Murray was lying about the budget the entire time and we're trading for Boyes.

Boyes-Cogliano-McMillan will be our third line.


alx83* is offline  
Old
07-20-2011, 10:46 PM
  #49
OilBuoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Schremp, Wellwood or Zherdev to the Ducks a possibility?

Could come cheap and provide some depth and *potential* offensive production

OilBuoy is offline  
Old
07-21-2011, 12:31 PM
  #50
hitt
Registered User
 
hitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sultanate of Savonia
Country: Finland
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to hitt
There was a story about Teemu in the Finnish Iltalehti. He was practicing on ice, playing with his boys and also a Finnish race driver Kimi Räikkönen (if anyone cares, just to point out it wasn't very intense or serious).

He stated that he will play only if his knee is healthy. On that day he was skating without any medication just to see how his knee is recovering and he's still experiencing pain in his knee. He said somedays are better but somedays are worse, that day was obviously worse. He's not allowed to run or play tennis by his doctor.

So all in all, slow news day and he's quite not there yet. Hopefully he will recover 100% and let one of the greatest stories in hockey continue. For one more year.


EDIT: Alrighty, seems like this topic is already being discussed in the Teemu's Blog discussion. My apologies.


Last edited by hitt: 07-21-2011 at 12:39 PM.
hitt is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.