HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the Rangers surprise the league this year?

Old
07-15-2011, 09:29 AM
KennyWu

vCash: 500
I don't think the Rangers will "surprise" the league (or even analysts) at all. The ones who will be surprised are the fans. A lot of fans of other teams seem to be penciling the Rangers in for a 6-9 Place finish. The Rangers were only 3 points out of the 6th spot last year with all of the injuries they suffered. Now add Richards and another year under the young guys' belts I think the Rangers will be in good shape.

I don't think a 4-6 place finish is out of the question at all. I'm anxious to see how the Richards/Gaborik combo works out, and very hopeful that MDZ can put it together this year.

As everyone else, very excited for this season.

KennyWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:13 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

They need another top 6 forward. imo

Either Thomas or Kreider need to come through. Or someone outside the organization.

If they get that, then they can be in the Cup Finals.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:51 PM
chosen

Glad to hear there will be no injuries this year.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:55 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Glad to hear there will be no injuries this year.
Who said there won't be??? Last year we lost quite a few man games to injury yet still managed to squeeze into the playoffs. This year the team should be better, so there's no reason to think we can't move up in the standings a bit. Injuries are a part of the game and you can't assume you will or won't have them.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Oh they will surprise, I am certain. Just hope it will be a positive surprise now that we all have our hopes up and the Stanley Cup-champagne already on ice hehe

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:58 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

There's no surprise, everyone knows we're coming.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:04 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Who said there won't be??? Last year we lost quite a few man games to injury yet still managed to squeeze into the playoffs. This year the team should be better, so there's no reason to think we can't move up in the standings a bit. Injuries are a part of the game and you can't assume you will or won't have them.
My reply was to the projections of the original poster.

In recent years, the Rangers have been relatively injury free to key players.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Blue Line Monster

I'm hoping they can get past the 1st round. I definitely don't think they're Cup contenders or anything. The team has 1 natural finisher that happens to be one of the most injury prone players in the league.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:23 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

We need to make sure Gaborik takes his happy pills and is ready to fly, this year. If I have to watch another year of his depression, I'll hang myself.

Wait, what?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Whether or not they make the playoffs is up in the air. But i'm sure everyone knows there not an ottowa or wpg like team.

They should improve and be one of the tougher teams to play against, especially if Erixon and MDZ or V-tank step in well.

Besides a #1c, our biggest issue, imo, was that garbage 3rd pair of McCabe and Gilroy.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Left wings are the hardest position to acquire because it has so few good ones. Unless one of our own guys (Kreider, Zuccarello, Wolski) comes through, it will continue to be our Achilles Heel.

It seems like most of the left shots become centers, and LW essentially gets the left overs. There are some exceptions, but the rule is that most star left shots are centers.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:38 PM
satrabyk

Wow u wrote a lot about nothing. The fact of the matter is its only predictions because u give reasons true enough, but it does not make it reality for the upcoming season. We got Richards and Rupp two hopefully good additions but we dont know until we see how they gel on the team. Its to early to say that were going to suprise and quite frankly what is the suprise if we do well when we added the most coveted FA, it will be a suprise if we do worse. I also like how everyone thinks that other team will just remain the same and the Rangers will only get better and jump in the standings. Realize that NJ, Tor, Fla, Buff should be better also.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:39 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
This year, I think the Rangers are significantly underrated.

Basically, people are predicting the same thing they were predicting last year: 5-9 spot. It makes zero sense to me.

===================

TOTAL OFFENSE AND DEFENSE PROJECTIONS

1. Last year, the Rangers were tied for 5th in goals against. There's no reason to expect them to get worse, and if anything, they should get better with Erixon playing the games MDZ/Gilroy played last year. They were only 4 goals from being second in the league and only 3 goals behind being first in the Eastern Conference in the last goals against. In all, from #2 to #7 spot in goals against were separated by only 5 goals. I again expect the Rangers to be in the mix as one of the top defensive clubs in the league.

2. They Rangers finished #14 in goal scoring. If Boyle and Gabby add an additional 25 goals, it would take the Rangers into the top 5 in scoring in the league if scoring remains the same next year. I assume it will change a little, but the Rangers should still be in the 3-7 range.

=====================

And my guesstimate is that the Rangers are probably a significantly underrated team. A team that will likely finish around #5 in both goals for and goals against should not be projected to finish as #6 in the East.

The Rangers are not a bad team. This is easily their best squad since the 1996-97, at least on paper. We don't know how that will translate on the ice, but judging the team based on the information that we currently have, it should finish higher than #6.
Overall a good analysis.

I think when you say "people" are underrating them I thinkyou mean opposing fans who post on HF. I think you have a couple flawed arguments, as an example last years goal differential and #14 in goals scored were largely the product of a few big blowouts, I think they can and will match last years goal total but without the blowouts for a truer measure of their offensive capabilities.

One thing about your analysis is that the Rangers were not the only team to make improvements, the Division and Conference were already pretty tough and with almost every team around us making improvements points will be as tough to come by as they were last season, maybe more so...so making a big jump in the standings will be very tough IMO.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Team is missing the X-factor still. The guy that puts them over the top.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Overall a good analysis.

I think when you say "people" are underrating them I thinkyou mean opposing fans who post on HF. I think you have a couple flawed arguments, as an example last years goal differential and #14 in goals scored were largely the product of a few big blowouts, I think they can and will match last years goal total but without the blowouts for a truer measure of their offensive capabilities.

One thing about your analysis is that the Rangers were not the only team to make improvements, the Division and Conference were already pretty tough and with almost every team around us making improvements points will be as tough to come by as they were last season, maybe more so...so making a big jump in the standings will be very tough IMO.
Agree 100% with your entire post but especially the bolded. And to add to that point, the Rangers actually led the entire league in 6 or more goal games with 10 of them and still finished only 14th in goals scored. Which shows in the majority of the rest of the games the Rangers couldn't put the puck in an ocean. I wanted to gauge my eyes out watching them cycle behind the net the entire game hoping to score 2 goals..

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:28 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
The X factor is the X factor because it doesn't reveal itself. The summer is way too soon for the X factor to reveal itself, but here it is.

Last year he needed to start in Hartford and learn the North American game.
Splitting time between the AHL and NHL.
AHL Numbers he scored:
29pts in 36games.
NHL Numbers he scored:
23pts in 42games.

Playing more games then he ever had in his entire pro career he was gassed at the end of the season, prompting a demotion back to the minors. This year will be his first full season and his tenacity and creativity the X-Factory can easily build upon his .5 pp/g production and be the top6 LW everyone is looking for.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:46 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyWu View Post
I don't think the Rangers will "surprise" the league (or even analysts) at all. The ones who will be surprised are the fans. A lot of fans of other teams seem to be penciling the Rangers in for a 6-9 Place finish. The Rangers were only 3 points out of the 6th spot last year with all of the injuries they suffered. Now add Richards and another year under the young guys' belts I think the Rangers will be in good shape.

I don't think a 4-6 place finish is out of the question at all. I'm anxious to see how the Richards/Gaborik combo works out, and very hopeful that MDZ can put it together this year.

As everyone else, very excited for this season.
I am excited as well. The other reason I am excited is that if any surprises make the team out of camp, then who might be available to ship off via trade? For the rangers increasingly being able to deal from a position of power vs. the past of selling the farm for quick fixes. That is truly refreshing!

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:09 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Who was Boston's X Factor? Thomas?

I realize teams generally have dynamic players but Gaborik and Richards can certainly be those guys for us.

And our x factor at the end of the day will be Lundqvist, if we manage to win or become contenders.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:56 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
The X factor is the X factor because it doesn't reveal itself. The summer is way too soon for the X factor to reveal itself, but here it is.

Last year he needed to start in Hartford and learn the North American game.
Splitting time between the AHL and NHL.
AHL Numbers he scored:
29pts in 36games.
NHL Numbers he scored:
23pts in 42games.

Playing more games then he ever had in his entire pro career he was gassed at the end of the season, prompting a demotion back to the minors. This year will be his first full season and his tenacity and creativity the X-Factory can easily build upon his .5 pp/g production and be the top6 LW everyone is looking for.
I think that might be a little over optimistic. But I like your thinking.

Prediction: He scores an OT winner that wins a playoff round for us, sometime in the next 2 years.

Won't say what year, or what round. That's as daring as I will get..for now.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
YatQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
They need another top 6 forward. imo

Either Thomas or Kreider need to come through. Or someone outside the organization.

If they get that, then they can be in the Cup Finals.
New poster here. Just wanted to agree with you. We need one more impact forward in order to rise to "elite" status. Without that, we should be good but not great...and only average if Gabby doesn't return to form.

YatQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:40 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YatQB View Post
New poster here. Just wanted to agree with you. We need one more impact forward in order to rise to "elite" status. Without that, we should be good but not great...and only average if Gabby doesn't return to form.
Welcome aboard!

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:00 PM
mcsauer2738

Long story short, when I was a junior in high school I was the school bookie and was making more money a week than most kids parents, me being the dumbass I was turned around and bet my winnings with a big time bookie who I wound up being down bigtime to. Still haven't placed a sports bet to this day but this year I am putting $500 on the rangers 30 to 1, LGR!

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:10 PM
YatQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Welcome aboard!
Thanks, NHRangerfan!

YatQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:12 PM