HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realigned!!! [3/7 update: CHI - COL - DAL - MIN - NSH - STL - WPG; NHLPA approves]

Old
07-13-2011, 12:23 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged Ice View Post
Phoenix won't be 'surviving' for a few more seasons. It's either they find a buyer in the next six months or they relocate. The NHL and city of Glendale can't go on like this anymore.
If Glendale eventually allows the sale to Reinsdorf, there's a very strong possibility of him leaving the team in Phoenix for two or three years then moving it. The widespread belief is that he intends to move the team, and that's a large reason why Hulsizer was considered to be the guy they'd sell to rather than Reinsdorf.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:23 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged Ice View Post
Phoenix won't be 'surviving' for a few more seasons. It's either they find a buyer in the next six months or they relocate. The NHL and city of Glendale can't go on like this anymore.
If there is not a buyer found, the city of Glendale walks at the end of this season. If a buyer is found, the buyer can do with the franchise what he/she wants with it, but the mayor "hopes to retain the team".

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
So, with all this speculation and what not swirling around about the return to 4 divisions and divisional playoffs, and the big emphasis on rivalry, I had a couple thoughts cross my mind. Now keep in mind this is pretty much all just throwing random thoughts on the floor, I have no illusions that the league will ever do any of this.

What generated rivalries way back in the day was how you would see your rivals like 8 or more times a year, right? Well, right now we only see our divisional rivals 6 times a year, and we will under this new structure as well, at least that's what the rumors have said. If we really want rivalries to get potent, somehow we need to increase the competition within the divisions. Increase division infighting, if you will.

So why are we going for bigger divisions then, where you have to play your rivals more times per year in order to really, really hate them by the time you get to the playoffs. Why dont we go for 8 divisions of 4 (adding two expansion teams to bring it up to 32), instead of 4 divisions of 7-8?

Lets look at the math. If we assume one home and one away game for every non-divisional team, and since there would be 28 teams not in the same division, that's 56 non-division games, leaving 26 for divisional games. 26 divided by 3 is 8 with remainder two, so you would play each of your 3 divisional rivals 8 times with two games leftover. These games can either be rotated among the divisional members (I.E, you play team's A and B 9 times, and team C 8 times, rotating home and away games to make it even across seasons), or, what I would like to see, a scheduled home and home partner. Each team would pick another team for these bonus two games. It could be a divisional rival to make it an even 10 game hate series, or another team outside the division that you want to see a total of four times a year.

The way I would have in mind for playoffs would be each division would have the top two teams fight for the division championship in the first round of the playoffs. Then in the second round, you would be seeded by division. What I mean by that is that each divisions inter-divisional record would be tracked to come up with a sort of divisional strength record. 56 inter divisional games times 4 teams equals 224 games that count toward that record. At the end of the season the divisions would be ranked 1-8, best record in interdivisional play to worst. In the second round, the champion of the top division would play the champion of the worst division. Home ice would be based on the divisional seed number. So if a team comes out of the divisional round and is the best of a really, really bad division, they face off against the best of the best division in the league.

So with that wild idea in mind, lets pull the divisions out of our ass. to do that first we have to pull some team movements and expansions out of there too. So lets say Phoenix moves to Kansas City(KC), where theyve got an arena already built. Lets also say Quebec City(QC) and Seattle(Sea) get expansion teams.

Since the playoffs are seeded divisionally 1-8, and everyone plays a balanced schedule interdivisionally more or less, there are now no such things as conferences, just the divisions. So lets start:

Northwest: Van, Sea, Edm, Cgy
Pacific: SJ, LA, Ana, Col
North: Win, Min, Chi, Det
South: KC, Dal, Nsh, StL
Northeast: QC, Mtl, Ott, Tor
Central: Cbj, Pit, Phi, Buf
Atlantic: Bos, NYI, NYR, NJ
Southeast: Wsh, Car, TB, Fla

Yeah, never gonna happen. But this was supposed to be a fun thought exercise anyway and not more stuff that you actually hope for and then end up disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:34 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
What generated rivalries way back in the day was how you would see your rivals like 8 or more times a year, right? Well, right now we only see our divisional rivals 6 times a year, and we will under this new structure as well, at least that's what the rumors have said. If we really want rivalries to get potent, somehow we need to increase the competition within the divisions. Increase division infighting, if you will.
No. What created rivalries back in the day was division round playoffs to determain each division champion. Going two rounds against division opponents... and then the likely hood of strong teams meeting up repeatedly in the post season as a result, THAT is what generated the rivalries like the North Stars and Blackhawks had.

It was almost an every year playoff matchup in either the first or 2nd round... North Stars vs Blackhawks.

The 4 division setup with the top 4 going to the playoffs is supposed to bring that back. Rivaries in the NHL have always been born in the playoffs, not the regular season.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Wolf357

As a Manitoban and Die-Hard Jets fan since conception I couldnt be more happy being in the same division as the Wild..
In my humble opionin Wild fans/Minny people in general are Class A. For the last few years me and buds have gone down to watch games in the Excel Enery Center. Always wearing our Jets gear we had nothing but the warmest welcome from you guys. Numerous times we had Wild fans come up to us and wish us the best of luck getting our team back...And during the national anthems as we belted out Oh Canada there was no sence of annoance from our American friends as we (admititly slured out our nations hyme) but we would get a thumbs up or a cheers from you guys..
During the Draft...same response but instead of a "hope you guys get your team back". it was "way to go guys soo happy for you"
Being in the same division means more games against each other and therefore more road trips....Hope you guys can make it up here some time....

Class A guys....Class A

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:40 PM
BigT2002

So does anyone else think Wheeler and Dustin put in for trades now though both were quoted many times over as to never wanting to play close to home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
As a Manitoban and Die-Hard Jets fan since conception I couldnt be more happy being in the same division as the Wild..
In my humble opionin Wild fans/Minny people in general are Class A. For the last few years me and buds have gone down to watch games in the Excel Enery Center. Always wearing our Jets gear we had nothing but the warmest welcome from you guys. Numerous times we had Wild fans come up to us and wish us the best of luck getting our team back...And during the national anthems as we belted out Oh Canada there was no sence of annoance from our American friends as we (admititly slured out our nations hyme) but we would get a thumbs up or a cheers from you guys..
During the Draft...same response but instead of a "hope you guys get your team back". it was "way to go guys soo happy for you"
Being in the same division means more games against each other and therefore more road trips....Hope you guys can make it up here some time....

Class A guys....Class A

I can't wait to come up there to see a game

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:56 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I can't wait to come up there to see a game
I'm 3 hours from Winnipeg but 5 hours from St. Paul. I'm already looking at heading up there for the Wild game and one of the Maple Leaf games (fiancee is a Toronto fan).

Old
07-18-2011, 06:16 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I'm 3 hours from Winnipeg but 5 hours from St. Paul. I'm already looking at heading up there for the Wild game and one of the Maple Leaf games (fiancee is a Toronto fan).
Bemidji??

Old
07-18-2011, 06:31 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Sorry /:

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Wolf357

Winnipeg/Minny in my opinion make a natural Rival (Respectful one).
1) Distance: closest NHL city to Winnipeg (about 7 hours)
2) Both of us lost our Team only to be re-born
3) Both fans are freaking tuff. Where else in the world can you get from -34degrees (-36c) to 101 degrees (+35C) in a matter of 6 months..

Old
07-18-2011, 06:56 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

4. You said Minny. Thems fighting words!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:20 PM
CT*
WOLF GANG

Minnesota is a tough word to spell!

CT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:23 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Instead of being rivals we can be friends!

Minny and Winny, the two best friends that anyone could have!

Old
07-18-2011, 07:26 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
Minnesota is a tough word to spell!
Say it loud, say it proud:

Old
07-18-2011, 07:41 PM
CT*
WOLF GANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post

This post made me laugh out loud, I like this idea a lot.

CT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post

Gold.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:44 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Bemidji??
Is two hours south of here.

Old
07-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Wolf357

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
4. You said Minny. Thems fighting words!
"Minny" was short for Minnisota not Minniapolis...I know...I know the wild are in St.Paul..

Old
07-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

Quote:
"Minny" was short for Minnisota not Minniapolis...I know...I know the wild are in St.Paul..
Minnesota and Minneapolis not Minnisota and Minniapolis... and I think the point is they don't like being called Minny because it sounds dumb. Like Minny Mouse.

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetHabs View Post
Minnesota and Minneapolis not Minnisota and Minniapolis... and I think the point is they don't like being called Minny because it sounds dumb. Like Minny Mouse.
Damn. Was hoping no one would tell him.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:00 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Damn. Was hoping no one would tell him.
Sorry

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:14 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A....c'mon I posted a video just above this! In all seriousness, it's just a nickname we hate because a) no one in Minnesota uses it and b) never sure if someone means Minneapolis or Minnesota.

Old
07-18-2011, 08:18 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A....c'mon I posted a video just above this! In all seriousness, it's just a nickname we hate because a) no one in Minnesota uses it and b) never sure if someone means Minneapolis or Minnesota.
We could have them say either Sota or Apolis?

Old
07-19-2011, 03:14 AM
BigT2002

Minny and Winny I love it