HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Cole to wear #72

Old
07-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

vCash: 500
The anti-Kovalev.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:47 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

I got 1 honest question about Cole. Is he really that exited about playing here or is he just playing the nice guy in front the media to look good? Between him, Cammy, Gionta, Gomez, Wiz, Moen, Spacek, Auld or any other guy/UFA that got here in the last years he's the 1 I recall complementing the most and expressing the most his love for the city and his excitement about wearing the bleu blanc rouge. Don't get me wrong, if he actually means it its amazing.

MooseOllini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
I got 1 honest question about Cole. Is he really that exited about playing here or is he just playing the nice guy in front the media to look good? Between him, Cammy, Gionta, Gomez, Wiz, Moen, Spacek, Auld or any other guy/UFA that got here in the last years he's the 1 I recall complementing the most and expressing the most his love for the city and his excitement about wearing the bleu blanc rouge. Don't get me wrong, if he actually means it its amazing.
Well, he grew up watching and cheering on the Habs on Hockey Night in Canada, so...

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:11 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Well, he grew up watching and cheering on the Habs on Hockey Night in Canada, so...
Which prbly factors in to a whole 3% of his decision.

He followed the money, like most players.... and is now doing a fine job in kissing ass and making the best of what is playing in Montreal. I'm sure he enjoys the market, and is looking forward to it, but at the end of the day I'd bet his priorities are as follows:

1. Money / Contract length/ taxes
2. Location / Weather (22 degrees in Feb. vs - 22 degrees in Feb.....warm nights vs freezing your balls off)
3. Team strength (contender> Competitive> Bottom seeder)

Once you play over 500 games, I imagine that most arenas, given that they are near capacity, feel the same... eventually the novelty runs-dry. Sure, playing in Atl must have suck...

Bell is the best arena to play in, but the difference we see it at (on an avg night) is not as significant to the players as many would like to believe. These guys become a bit more immune to it all than we'd like to think.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:15 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Geez some of you guys are hard to please. He committed 4 years of his life to Montreal so let's consider that proof enough that he "wants" to play here, yeah?

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:34 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

He followed the money, like most players.... and is now doing a fine job in kissing ass and making the best of what is playing in Montreal. I'm sure he enjoys the market, and is looking forward to it, but at the end of the day I'd bet his priorities are as follows:

2. Location / Weather (22 degrees in Feb. vs - 22 degrees in Feb.....warm nights vs freezing your balls off)

Once you play over 500 games, I imagine that most arenas, given that they are near capacity, feel the same... eventually the novelty runs-dry. Sure, playing in Atl must have suck...

Bell is the best arena to play in, but the difference we see it at (on an avg night) is not as significant to the players as many would like to believe. These guys become a bit more immune to it all than we'd like to think.
He got offered 4M$ per year in Carolina and Buffalo. After taxes, it comes out to the same amount of $.

He chose MTL for a few reasons, including advice from Brian Gionta.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

You seem to be pretty sure of all of this. Are you a NHL player?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:

Why did Tim Thomas give some credit to the Habs' fans (and all the games he played in Montreal this season) for him to get used to the noise in the SCF?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Why did Tim Thomas give some credit to the Habs' fans (and all the games he played in Montreal this season) for him to get used to the noise in the SCF?
cuz Tim Thomas has only played 319 games, not 500

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Anyone know if there are any Cole tshirts available anywhere yet? It's early, but still..

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Subnordi

From watching various videos of Cole, he really seems to be excited about playing in Montreal. I'm glad we have him, he's the exact player we want Max Pacioretty to turn out to be, they're both big, fast, physical, scoring wingers that have both had similar accidents. Cole insists that the Habs were his favorite team growing up, and that the Bell Center is his favorite arena. Welcome to the Habs Erik.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:37 AM
BLONG7

He is excited, and will be motivated...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:41 AM
habitue*

He's exactly the type of player this team badly needs since ages....

Just too bad he is already 32.

I am expecting a good first two years from him. After that...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Weird choice.

Remember Schneider wearing this in toronto, looked off.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Jigger77

He seems genuinely excited to me and kind of fits in the profile of the character-types we've been targeting since the huge Gainey re-vamp. Team-first kind of guy.

Just think about it, doesn't matter how much hockey you've played, how old you are etc...You were just signed by the Montreal Canadiens. It has to be exciting for anybody.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:32 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
He got offered 4M$ per year in Carolina and Buffalo. After taxes, it comes out to the same amount of $.

He chose MTL for a few reasons, including advice from Brian Gionta.
I have a hard time believing he'd say no to Carolina for 16 Mil over 4 years.

Unless there were locker room issues I'm not aware of...

Are you sure they offered him 4 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
You seem to be pretty sure of all of this. Are you a NHL player?
No, I just think with my head, not the heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
We are talking about UFA's and how what motivates them to sign with a given city.

Like I said, I'm sure most players consider Montreal the best place to play. It's great that it help TT in winning a cup.

However, when a player decides where he has to play for 4 years of his life, he's generally going to consider:

1.Salary after taxes
2. Contract length.
3. Team strength / how he fits
4. City / Weather / Fan Atmosphere / Nightlife / distance from home etc..

Nobody decides to come to Montreal because of the atmosphere. It's simply 1 positive of playing in Montreal. Just like it's a plus to play in warmer climate, with a superstar on your line, or in NY, LA, place with less pressure, etc..

Could the fact that he lives a few hrs away be the pushing point?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:28 PM
BLONG7

I think the Canes offered 3 yrs, and wouldn't go to 4 yrs....the Habs were then, his choice for sure...he did try to use the Habs offer to entice Carolina to match the term, not the money....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:42 PM
OneSharpMarble

If he can mentor Pacman good stuff. I am excited to see we finally have a solid top two lines even if one is centred by gomez. I hope martin doesn't completly rein them in and our defense can be as mobile as it looks like it can be.

Maybe some exciting hockey for a change?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote