HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

#1 Defenseman (LH or Left Side) to the Blues

Old
07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 500
I might be in the minority here, but I don't feel we really need a high priced #2(btw the title is a little misleading, Petro is the uncontested #1). Petro was on the ice for 5 on 5 about 15 minutes(might not be exact, to lazy to get the true number) rest of his 20+ minutes were on special teams. The special teams pairings are always determined by the best players not righty/lefty issue. So with that being said you really only need a dman to play with him for 15-17 minutes a night and I do believe that Carlo can be that guy. He was a 1st round pick for a reason, he has talent. Yes he does make the occasional bone headed play, but you can say that about every single player in the world. Carlo and Petro have a good off ice relationship and at the end of the season I thought they played well together. I think we have the offense to overcome the mistakes made by our D. Unless a can't miss trade comes along(think ej) the roster they have now is what they are going to camp with. Also Cole may very well be that #2 in a year, so trading him is a lateral move. Nikitin could also develop into that player too. The Blues have plenty of options, there just isn't that slam dunk. The D will be better than they are getting credit for, personally my biggest concern is that Shattenkirk will have a sophomore slump and that could sting a little seeing how he's being penciled into the top four and being mentioned as a #3. Also I would like to see if polak can play on his off side and would be the perfect compliment to Petro. Let's see what happens in september before we worry about moving a bunch of futures for a player we may not really need. Plus if that is the one peice missing at the trade deadline, we should have a new owner and then will have the ability to add that kind of player. There's enough talent on the D as it stands now, we just dont know who will slot where. Give it time, the answer will present it self in due time!

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:14 PM
ManoWarrior

My post from a TJ Oshie thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
An idea for a trade between Vancouver and St Louis:

To St Louis:

Edler + Raymond

To Vancouver:

Oshie + Polak + 2nd/Good Prospect + 4th

Or if the Blues don't feel the need for Raymond:

To St Louis:

Edler + Schroeder

To Vancouver:

Oshie + Polak + 3rd

McDonald-Backes-D'Agostini
Perron-Berglund-Raymond/Tarasenko/Langenbrunner
Steen-Arnott-Raymond/Tarasenko/Langenbrunner
Sobotka-Nichol-Langenbrunner/Crombeen etc...

Crombeen/Reaves

Edler-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Colaiacovo
Nikitin-Shattenkirk

Huskins
(Cole)

Halak
Bishop/Elliot

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Oshie
Hodgson-Malhotra-Hansen
Sturm-Lapierre-Oreskovic

Ebbet (Forward line-up is flexible and yes I forgot Samuelsson, this forward lineup is very rough)

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Polak
Alberts-Salo

Rome
Sulzer
(Tanev)

Luongo
Schneider

For the Canucks, this trade is made in hopes of Oshie excelling on Kesler's wing and getting a good NHL-proven top 4 d-man to soften the blow of losing Edler. St Louis does this to get a legit top pairing defenseman to play with Pietrangelo with the other possible pieces just as additional compensation. Their depth on the wing makes it possible to deal away Oshie for an area of need.

ManoWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:17 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
My post from a TJ Oshie thread
The value might be close, but Polak is on an amazing contract and by trading him it would create a bigger hole as we don't have any RH defensemen close to the NHL. Cole and Nikitin are both LH, which is why our need isn't as big as some people make it out to be.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:55 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Serious question? For starters, he's then under your control and you merely have to meet his contract demands or accept the arbitration award. On the other hand, if the Sabres elect not match, you're competing with 28 other teams--realistically, it's more like 5-10--for his services. Thus, there's an element of risk in that approach.

Secondly, Buffalo would be able to accept his arbitration award. The question is whether they'll want his arbitration award given their current crop of top-4 defensemen (Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff, Leopold), potential third-pairing of Weber-Gragnani (more than adequate given their respective special teams prowess), near-NHL-ready defensemen playing in the AHL (Schiestel, Brennan), and very solid WHL'ers who may be NHL-ready sooner rather than later (Pysyk, McNabb). And if we really wanted to keep Sekera, we could easily ship off Boyes. The only issue will be whether the award--and Regier has intimated that a deal will likely get done before arbitration--makes sense for the Sabres given their current roster.
While you make some great points, I would not trade for Sekera and risk losing an asset when it is unknown if the Blues would be able to reach a deal that is beneficial for the team.

Secondly, without a trade Buffalo can not afford Sekera. Buffalo has about $350,000 in cap space according to CapGeek and still need to resign Enroth or sign a FA goaltender.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
While you make some great points, I would not trade for Sekera and risk losing an asset when it is unknown if the Blues would be able to reach a deal that is beneficial for the team.

Secondly, without a trade Buffalo can not afford Sekera. Buffalo has about $350,000 in cap space according to CapGeek and still need to resign Enroth or sign a FA goaltender.
Kotalik and Morrisonn combine for $5.075m of that, and neither will see the light of day on Buffalo's roster this season. I suspect they'll try to move Morrisonn before the season. Regardless, even if they can't move them, neither will be on the NHL roster, and it's likely that one or both will spend the season in Rochester. God bless Terry Pegula.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:36 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I'd consider moving Edler for Backes and Pietrangelo. That may be a lateral move for the Blues though, I'm not sure if that's the type of deal they would bother doing.
Obviously you value Edler VERY HIGH , or your just VERY high

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote