HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Eastern Conference Power Rankings - Position 4

View Poll Results: Which is the #4 ranked team in the East
Montreal Canadiens 2 1.67%
Buffalo Sabres 12 10.00%
Toronto Maple Leafs 1 0.83%
Ottawa Senators 0 0%
Philadelphia Flyers 9 7.50%
New York Rangers 48 40.00%
New Jersey Devils 3 2.50%
New York Islanders 1 0.83%
Tampa Bay Lightning 44 36.67%
Carolina Hurricanes 0 0%
Winnipeg Jets 0 0%
Florida Panthers 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-18-2011, 11:40 PM
  #1
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,850
vCash: 500
Eastern Conference Power Rankings - Position 4

Current Power Rankings:
1)Pittsburgh Penguins (41.51%)
2)Washington Capitals (67.82%)
3)Boston Bruins (75.68%)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

Inferno is offline  
Old
07-18-2011, 11:41 PM
  #2
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,850
vCash: 500
going with the Rangers here....a rock solid defensive team, a superstar goalie, and 2 legitimate elite forwards. if we keep injury free, we should be battling for the division lead all season long.

Inferno is offline  
Old
07-18-2011, 11:44 PM
  #3
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,688
vCash: 500
I think the only team "better" than us is the TBL, but that's also arguable because we have a better defense and a better goalie.

Going for us here.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
07-18-2011, 11:44 PM
  #4
SouthJerseyRanger
Registered User
 
SouthJerseyRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,041
vCash: 500
The Rangers.

I can't see them any worse then 7th, and if things really click I could see them as high as 1st when all is said and done. The 1-2 punch of LW-Richards-Gaborik and Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan could be downright nasty... add that to a pretty solid D and maybe the best goalie on the planet and you have a recipe for success.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline  
Old
07-18-2011, 11:54 PM
  #5
NYR Dubi 17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ronkonkoma
Country: United States
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
gonna go with buff coming in 4th.. they were the hottest team coming into the playoffs last year and gave philly a serious problem in that series. when buff is all healthy they are very dangerous and now they added 3 decent players.. erhoff, reggy, and leino.

ps they lost tim connolly aka no loss

NYR Dubi 17 is offline  
Old
07-18-2011, 11:57 PM
  #6
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,854
vCash: 500
No way are we ranked 4th in the power rankings. The team has some questions, as do most of the other teams in the 4-8 range. I'd say Tampa falls here. Their success from last season puts them here as well as they have forwards that have chemistry while we hope Richards and Gaborik have some. Their d is pretty solid having Brewer back there for a full season to go with Hedman and Ohlund.

Rangers will be either 6th or 7th on the pre-season poll for me.

mrjimmyg89 is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:03 AM
  #7
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Flyers, I'm sorry but any defense with Pronger shoots up in my power rankings.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:07 AM
  #8
ogie
Registered User
 
ogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Staten Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Flyers, I'm sorry but any defense with Pronger shoots up in my power rankings.
if this poll was a few weeks back the flyers would be my pick but then... they traded away Richards and Carter. so they drop a few spots for that.

ogie is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:07 AM
  #9
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,154
vCash: 500
The Rangers will surprise the league and be closer to #1 than to #8. Book it!

Beacon is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:20 AM
  #10
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,295
vCash: 500
Went with the habs (ugh). Just looking down the list, you really can throw a blanket over spots 4-9, which should make for a great race to the payoffs. There's going to be a few very unlucky teams in the east next season...

mike14 is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:27 AM
  #11
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 2650
I by mistake voted for Toronto when I meant to vote for Tampa.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is online now  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:39 AM
  #12
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 50
I picked Buffalo but I could see us power ranked at 4. Actually seeded at 4? No honestly.

KingWantsCup is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:40 AM
  #13
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,644
vCash: 500
Frankly, I don't think any other team that's left is as well-constructed all around as the Rangers.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:41 AM
  #14
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Frankly, I don't think any other team that's left is as well-constructed all around as the Rangers.
agreed

Inferno is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:44 AM
  #15
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
if this poll was a few weeks back the flyers would be my pick but then... they traded away Richards and Carter. so they drop a few spots for that.
They also added an elite goaltender. Imagine Philadelphia with a legitimaite superstar goalie. Bryz could win the Vezina next year behind that defense.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:46 AM
  #16
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?
 
Wayne Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: your mind
Country: United States
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Frankly, I don't think any other team that's left is as well-constructed all around as the Rangers.
A lot of teams are like that....ashame chemistry plays a huge part in team success

Wayne Train is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:51 AM
  #17
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
They also added an elite goaltender. Imagine Philadelphia with a legitimaite superstar goalie. Bryz could win the Vezina next year behind that defense.
If Pronger isn't held back by injuries, if Timonen's age doesn't slow him down, if Meszaros doesn't revert back to sucking again, etc. If all of their defensemen play to their potential, then yeah, their defense is scary. But there are question marks. And I think their offense took a beating over the summer with the losses of Richards, Carter, and Leino. Color me skeptical.

we want cup is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:56 AM
  #18
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
A lot of teams are like that....ashame chemistry plays a huge part in team success
And the Rangers had tremendous chemistry last year. The only guy who didn't really click was Gaborik, and I would attribute that partially to injuries and partially to the fact that he had nobody who played the type of game that makes him successful (i.e. running give-and-gos, finding seams through which to get him the puck, quick passes from behind the net, etc.).

we want cup is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 12:57 AM
  #19
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
If Pronger isn't held back by injuries, if Timonen's age doesn't slow him down, if Meszaros doesn't revert back to sucking again, etc. If all of their defensemen play to their potential, then yeah, their defense is scary. But there are question marks. And I think their offense took a beating over the summer with the losses of Richards, Carter, and Leino. Color me skeptical.
Meszaros, Timonen and Pronger were all #1 D-Men statistically speaking last season, and that was with a piss poor goaltending trio with Boucher-Leighton-Bobrovsky. Pronger and Timonen shown no signs of slowing down when they were playing. Of course injuries are a huge issue for Pronger, I'm hearing he is still recovering from the hand surgery he had before the playoffs started. I just value veteran blue liners a lot, and Pronger is still a superstar player.


Last edited by Kershaw: 07-19-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: duo = trio????? uighhh not my night, derp.
Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 01:00 AM
  #20
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
They also added an elite goaltender. Imagine Philadelphia with a legitimaite superstar goalie. Bryz could win the Vezina next year behind that defense.
i dont know if i consider Bryzgalov a superstar goalie to be totally honest. he's been in the NHL for 6 full seasons

3 of them he posted sv% of .907, .906, and .910, and then 3 of .920, .920, and .921

and its not like all 3 of his good seasons were recently and all his crappy ones were old, his sv% 2 seasons ago was his worst in his career. not to mention the .879 and .906 sv% the last 2 post seasons.

i like Bryzgalov a LOT, and i think the Flyers got a HUGE upgrade there...i also think the Yotes did a great job of limiting quality chances against. so its not like he was having to be Hasekesque during his prime.

I think Bryzgalov is in the top 10-15 in the NHL in goalies...but not in the superstar category.

Inferno is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 01:02 AM
  #21
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Meszaros, Timonen and Pronger were all #1 D-Men statistically speaking last season, and that was with a piss poor goaltending duo with Boucher-Leighton-Bobrovsky. Pronger and Timonen shown no signs of slowing down when they were playing. Of course injuries are a huge issue for Pronger, I'm hearing he is still recovering from the hand surgery he had before the playoffs started. I just value veteran blue liners a lot, and Pronger is still a superstar player.
Rangers may not have the names other teams do, but its not like they are a huge black hole for defense. Our top 4 is as steady as they come. Phillys brings more offense though, ill grant you that.

Inferno is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 01:05 AM
  #22
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Meszaros, Timonen and Pronger were all #1 D-Men statistically speaking last season, and that was with a piss poor goaltending duo with Boucher-Leighton-Bobrovsky. Pronger and Timonen shown no signs of slowing down when they were playing. Of course injuries are a huge issue for Pronger, I'm hearing he is still recovering from the hand surgery he had before the playoffs started. I just value veteran blue liners a lot, and Pronger is still a superstar player.
Don't get me wrong, Chris Pronger is one of my all time favorite non-Rangers, and probably my second favorite defenseman after Leetch.

His age showed last year though, even when he wasn't hurt. I'd say that Timonen's did, as well. Are they both still generally awesome defensemen? Hell yeah. I'm just not sure how they'll hold up. Pronger is going to be 37 in October, and Timonen is 36 himself. Will they be as good this year as they've been in the past? I'm not so sure.

Meszaros is a guy who's been up and down throughout his career. Which Meszaros will show up this season?

EDIT: And that's not even addressing the point Inferno made about how solid our top 4 is defensively. Comparison is the point of this thread, after all.

we want cup is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 01:07 AM
  #23
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont know if i consider Bryzgalov a superstar goalie to be totally honest. he's been in the NHL for 6 full seasons

3 of them he posted sv% of .907, .906, and .910, and then 3 of .920, .920, and .921

and its not like all 3 of his good seasons were recently and all his crappy ones were old, his sv% 2 seasons ago was his worst in his career. not to mention the .879 and .906 sv% the last 2 post seasons.

i like Bryzgalov a LOT, and i think the Flyers got a HUGE upgrade there...i also think the Yotes did a great job of limiting quality chances against. so its not like he was having to be Hasekesque during his prime.

I think Bryzgalov is in the top 10-15 in the NHL in goalies...but not in the superstar category.
Bryzgalov elevated his game though, by getting a shot with Phoenix as a the go to guy. His confidence was killed ever since the Ducks pulled him from the series for JS Giguere in the 2006 WCF vs. Edmonton, he was never the same until he got a fresh start a guaranteed role with the Coyotes. Bryzgalov put elite numbers with guys like Jovonovski, Yandle, Kurt Sauer and other unknown guys, now imagine him playing with Timonen, Meszaros and Pronger. People underrate Bryzgalov because of his past, but the only two goalies in the EC I take ahead of him are Lundqvist and Thomas for next season.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 01:08 AM
  #24
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Rangers may not have the names other teams do, but its not like they are a huge black hole for defense. Our top 4 is as steady as they come. Phillys brings more offense though, ill grant you that.
The thing that pushes the Flyers ahead of the Rangers is experience. They have two veterans to build the team around in Pronger and Timonen, who are both top 25 D-Men in the league. Staal is probably in that category, but Girardi is not good enough and McSauer pairing need to prove themselves next season.

Edit: Agreed though, I feel confident with our top 4 guys.


Last edited by Kershaw: 07-19-2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Replying to question
Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-19-2011, 01:11 AM
  #25
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Bryzgalov elevated his game though, by getting a shot with Phoenix as a the go to guy. His confidence was killed ever since the Ducks pulled him from the series for JS Giguere in the 2006 WCF vs. Edmonton, he was never the same until he got a fresh start a guaranteed role with the Coyotes. Bryzgalov put elite numbers with guys like Jovonovski, Yandle, Kurt Sauer and other unknown guys, now imagine him playing with Timonen, Meszaros and Pronger. People underrate Bryzgalov because of his past, but the only two goalies in the EC I take ahead of him are Lundqvist and Thomas for next season.
That's bold. I'd take Henrik, Thomas, Ward, Miller, Price, and maybe even Vokoun and Fleury above Bryz.

we want cup is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.