HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Eastern Conference Power Rankings - Position 4

View Poll Results: Which is the #4 ranked team in the East
Montreal Canadiens 2 1.67%
Buffalo Sabres 12 10.00%
Toronto Maple Leafs 1 0.83%
Ottawa Senators 0 0%
Philadelphia Flyers 9 7.50%
New York Rangers 48 40.00%
New Jersey Devils 3 2.50%
New York Islanders 1 0.83%
Tampa Bay Lightning 44 36.67%
Carolina Hurricanes 0 0%
Winnipeg Jets 0 0%
Florida Panthers 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Eastern Conference Power Rankings - Position 4

Current Power Rankings:
1)Pittsburgh Penguins (41.51%)
2)Washington Capitals (67.82%)
3)Boston Bruins (75.68%)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

Old
07-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

going with the Rangers here....a rock solid defensive team, a superstar goalie, and 2 legitimate elite forwards. if we keep injury free, we should be battling for the division lead all season long.

Old
07-18-2011, 11:44 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think the only team "better" than us is the TBL, but that's also arguable because we have a better defense and a better goalie.

Going for us here.

Old
07-18-2011, 11:44 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

The Rangers.

I can't see them any worse then 7th, and if things really click I could see them as high as 1st when all is said and done. The 1-2 punch of LW-Richards-Gaborik and Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan could be downright nasty... add that to a pretty solid D and maybe the best goalie on the planet and you have a recipe for success.

Old
07-18-2011, 11:54 PM
NYR Dubi 17

gonna go with buff coming in 4th.. they were the hottest team coming into the playoffs last year and gave philly a serious problem in that series. when buff is all healthy they are very dangerous and now they added 3 decent players.. erhoff, reggy, and leino.

ps they lost tim connolly aka no loss

Old
07-18-2011, 11:57 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

No way are we ranked 4th in the power rankings. The team has some questions, as do most of the other teams in the 4-8 range. I'd say Tampa falls here. Their success from last season puts them here as well as they have forwards that have chemistry while we hope Richards and Gaborik have some. Their d is pretty solid having Brewer back there for a full season to go with Hedman and Ohlund.

Rangers will be either 6th or 7th on the pre-season poll for me.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Flyers, I'm sorry but any defense with Pronger shoots up in my power rankings.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:07 AM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Flyers, I'm sorry but any defense with Pronger shoots up in my power rankings.
if this poll was a few weeks back the flyers would be my pick but then... they traded away Richards and Carter. so they drop a few spots for that.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The Rangers will surprise the league and be closer to #1 than to #8. Book it!

Old
07-19-2011, 12:20 AM
mike14

Went with the habs (ugh). Just looking down the list, you really can throw a blanket over spots 4-9, which should make for a great race to the payoffs. There's going to be a few very unlucky teams in the east next season...

Old
07-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2650
I by mistake voted for Toronto when I meant to vote for Tampa.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
07-19-2011, 12:39 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

I picked Buffalo but I could see us power ranked at 4. Actually seeded at 4? No honestly.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:40 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Frankly, I don't think any other team that's left is as well-constructed all around as the Rangers.

RANGERS =
Old
07-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Frankly, I don't think any other team that's left is as well-constructed all around as the Rangers.
agreed

Old
07-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
if this poll was a few weeks back the flyers would be my pick but then... they traded away Richards and Carter. so they drop a few spots for that.
They also added an elite goaltender. Imagine Philadelphia with a legitimaite superstar goalie. Bryz could win the Vezina next year behind that defense.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
A lot of teams are like that....ashame chemistry plays a huge part in team success

Old
07-19-2011, 12:51 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
They also added an elite goaltender. Imagine Philadelphia with a legitimaite superstar goalie. Bryz could win the Vezina next year behind that defense.
If Pronger isn't held back by injuries, if Timonen's age doesn't slow him down, if Meszaros doesn't revert back to sucking again, etc. If all of their defensemen play to their potential, then yeah, their defense is scary. But there are question marks. And I think their offense took a beating over the summer with the losses of Richards, Carter, and Leino. Color me skeptical.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:56 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
A lot of teams are like that....ashame chemistry plays a huge part in team success
And the Rangers had tremendous chemistry last year. The only guy who didn't really click was Gaborik, and I would attribute that partially to injuries and partially to the fact that he had nobody who played the type of game that makes him successful (i.e. running give-and-gos, finding seams through which to get him the puck, quick passes from behind the net, etc.).

Old
07-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
If Pronger isn't held back by injuries, if Timonen's age doesn't slow him down, if Meszaros doesn't revert back to sucking again, etc. If all of their defensemen play to their potential, then yeah, their defense is scary. But there are question marks. And I think their offense took a beating over the summer with the losses of Richards, Carter, and Leino. Color me skeptical.
Meszaros, Timonen and Pronger were all #1 D-Men statistically speaking last season, and that was with a piss poor goaltending trio with Boucher-Leighton-Bobrovsky. Pronger and Timonen shown no signs of slowing down when they were playing. Of course injuries are a huge issue for Pronger, I'm hearing he is still recovering from the hand surgery he had before the playoffs started. I just value veteran blue liners a lot, and Pronger is still a superstar player.

Last edited by Kershaw: 07-19-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: duo = trio????? uighhh not my night, derp.
Old
07-19-2011, 01:00 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
i dont know if i consider Bryzgalov a superstar goalie to be totally honest. he's been in the NHL for 6 full seasons

3 of them he posted sv% of .907, .906, and .910, and then 3 of .920, .920, and .921

and its not like all 3 of his good seasons were recently and all his crappy ones were old, his sv% 2 seasons ago was his worst in his career. not to mention the .879 and .906 sv% the last 2 post seasons.

i like Bryzgalov a LOT, and i think the Flyers got a HUGE upgrade there...i also think the Yotes did a great job of limiting quality chances against. so its not like he was having to be Hasekesque during his prime.

I think Bryzgalov is in the top 10-15 in the NHL in goalies...but not in the superstar category.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Meszaros, Timonen and Pronger were all #1 D-Men statistically speaking last season, and that was with a piss poor goaltending duo with Boucher-Leighton-Bobrovsky. Pronger and Timonen shown no signs of slowing down when they were playing. Of course injuries are a huge issue for Pronger, I'm hearing he is still recovering from the hand surgery he had before the playoffs started. I just value veteran blue liners a lot, and Pronger is still a superstar player.
Rangers may not have the names other teams do, but its not like they are a huge black hole for defense. Our top 4 is as steady as they come. Phillys brings more offense though, ill grant you that.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:05 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Meszaros, Timonen and Pronger were all #1 D-Men statistically speaking last season, and that was with a piss poor goaltending duo with Boucher-Leighton-Bobrovsky. Pronger and Timonen shown no signs of slowing down when they were playing. Of course injuries are a huge issue for Pronger, I'm hearing he is still recovering from the hand surgery he had before the playoffs started. I just value veteran blue liners a lot, and Pronger is still a superstar player.
Don't get me wrong, Chris Pronger is one of my all time favorite non-Rangers, and probably my second favorite defenseman after Leetch.

His age showed last year though, even when he wasn't hurt. I'd say that Timonen's did, as well. Are they both still generally awesome defensemen? Hell yeah. I'm just not sure how they'll hold up. Pronger is going to be 37 in October, and Timonen is 36 himself. Will they be as good this year as they've been in the past? I'm not so sure.

Meszaros is a guy who's been up and down throughout his career. Which Meszaros will show up this season?

EDIT: And that's not even addressing the point Inferno made about how solid our top 4 is defensively. Comparison is the point of this thread, after all.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont know if i consider Bryzgalov a superstar goalie to be totally honest. he's been in the NHL for 6 full seasons

3 of them he posted sv% of .907, .906, and .910, and then 3 of .920, .920, and .921

and its not like all 3 of his good seasons were recently and all his crappy ones were old, his sv% 2 seasons ago was his worst in his career. not to mention the .879 and .906 sv% the last 2 post seasons.

i like Bryzgalov a LOT, and i think the Flyers got a HUGE upgrade there...i also think the Yotes did a great job of limiting quality chances against. so its not like he was having to be Hasekesque during his prime.

I think Bryzgalov is in the top 10-15 in the NHL in goalies...but not in the superstar category.
Bryzgalov elevated his game though, by getting a shot with Phoenix as a the go to guy. His confidence was killed ever since the Ducks pulled him from the series for JS Giguere in the 2006 WCF vs. Edmonton, he was never the same until he got a fresh start a guaranteed role with the Coyotes. Bryzgalov put elite numbers with guys like Jovonovski, Yandle, Kurt Sauer and other unknown guys, now imagine him playing with Timonen, Meszaros and Pronger. People underrate Bryzgalov because of his past, but the only two goalies in the EC I take ahead of him are Lundqvist and Thomas for next season.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Rangers may not have the names other teams do, but its not like they are a huge black hole for defense. Our top 4 is as steady as they come. Phillys brings more offense though, ill grant you that.
The thing that pushes the Flyers ahead of the Rangers is experience. They have two veterans to build the team around in Pronger and Timonen, who are both top 25 D-Men in the league. Staal is probably in that category, but Girardi is not good enough and McSauer pairing need to prove themselves next season.

Edit: Agreed though, I feel confident with our top 4 guys.

Last edited by Kershaw: 07-19-2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Replying to question
Old
07-19-2011, 01:11 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Bryzgalov elevated his game though, by getting a shot with Phoenix as a the go to guy. His confidence was killed ever since the Ducks pulled him from the series for JS Giguere in the 2006 WCF vs. Edmonton, he was never the same until he got a fresh start a guaranteed role with the Coyotes. Bryzgalov put elite numbers with guys like Jovonovski, Yandle, Kurt Sauer and other unknown guys, now imagine him playing with Timonen, Meszaros and Pronger. People underrate Bryzgalov because of his past, but the only two goalies in the EC I take ahead of him are Lundqvist and Thomas for next season.
That's bold. I'd take Henrik, Thomas, Ward, Miller, Price, and maybe even Vokoun and Fleury above Bryz.

Closed Thread