HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Prospal

Old
07-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
Prospal will be signed in 15.6778 of your earth days. My intergalactic sources from Hogwarts tell me that the Headmaster of the Rangers is just waiting for the remaining 2 RFAs to be signed so that he can see how to fairly structure Prospal's 1-year contract [H6].
Those involved will say that this was the plan all along.
i was thinking thats why Eminger isnt signed yet. i think he will be back..i hope they play him if he is brought back.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:07 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I think Hagelin's in a different boat than a typical rookie. He's at an advantage being older and more mature having played a full collegiate career.

There's less need for him to bulk up than say a Thomas, Krieder, McLIrath, or eve Zuc due to his age.

Also, he had the NCAA Championship and the Whale playoff games as kind of a Cliff's Notes version of the intensity to expect at a Training Camp.

He's not a lock, but I believe he has a good shot to be on the opening night roster.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:19 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
I see no downside to giving him a cheap one year deal.
agreed. What's the worst that happens, he gets hurt again?

And even with that, I've said it before...he had one injury, not a bunch of lingering injuries. I won't be shocked if he plays 65-70 games next season, wherever that is.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I think Hagelin's in a different boat than a typical rookie. He's at an advantage being older and more mature having played a full collegiate career.

There's less need for him to bulk up than say a Thomas, Krieder, McLIrath, or eve Zuc due to his age.

Also, he had the NCAA Championship and the Whale playoff games as kind of a Cliff's Notes version of the intensity to expect at a Training Camp.

He's not a lock, but I believe he has a good shot to be on the opening night roster.
Over whoo? Avery? Prust? Everyone wants these rookies to come break in to the lineup we have players who are better and fully understand Tort's system. Let him develop some more and get used to dominating for another year and fine-tune his release or stick skills he's going to get a monster amount of playing time.

Next Year, there is no doubt in my mind that Vinny > Haeglin

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:26 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i was thinking thats why Eminger isnt signed yet. i think he will be back..i hope they play him if he is brought back.
idk...Eminger really fell into torts doghouse towards the end last year. If we want a vet d-man, something tells me there's probably other options in play.

Old
07-18-2011, 11:30 PM
NYR Dubi 17

We need Prospal back for another season. He has experience with Richards and he's a spark plug for Gaborik. Plus hes not an overwhelming cap hit.. hes much better then wolly or garbage avery. Bring back vinny for like 1.8

NYR Dubi 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Richter35

If they find a taker for christensen I'd love to see him brought back for like 1.5MM. keeps people like MZA/Avery on their toes because he's taking their roster spot. I doubt he can play a whole season, but having him as depth would be invaluable if this team has dreams of making an extended post-season run.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
idk...Eminger really fell into torts doghouse towards the end last year. If we want a vet d-man, something tells me there's probably other options in play.
i dont understand why. its not like he was playing that bad. wasnt it Sullivan who wanted Eminger because of their time in Tampa???

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:58 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i dont understand why. its not like he was playing that bad. wasnt it Sullivan who wanted Eminger because of their time in Tampa???
It's hard to gauge as fans how well a player like Eminger was playing. A lot of little things done wrong, bad breakout passes that may not cost us but add up to a lot of turnovers, other chances, etc...Not clearing the zone when he should be able to, etc. I feel like all you see from a 3rd pair guy that plays 8 minutes is whether or not he's on the ice for a noticable amount of goals and whether or not he's scoring. If Eminger isn't posting points, you simply write it off as it not being his style, that he's defensive minded.

It should be telling that Gilroy played over him down the stretch and the playoffs, and clearly management and the coaching staff didn't think that highly of him, either.

Old
07-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Absolutely no downside to signing Prospal to another 1-year deal. People are going to cite his knee injury, but I really don't see the point. He came back last season and scored 23 points in 29 games coming off that injury. If anything, his knee should be stronger with an offseason of rehab and conditioning. Even if he can't stay healthy, he goes on IR and we get his cap space back anyway.

Vinny is a versatile guy. He can play on the top line with Richards and Gaborik, or he can sit in the pressbox and get some rest. He's a great lockerroom guy from all acounts, and his passion for the game can't help but make me smile. It's written all over his face when he's on the ice: the man loves it here. He was made for Broadway.

I would much rather see EC, Wolski, or Avery sitting in the pressbox than not offer Vinny a contract. Once Dubinsky and Callahan are signed, they should offer Prospal a contract using some of the leftover cap space. At this point, I don't really think he's going to sign with anyone else. He should sign for cheap, maybe a $1-1.5M contract with some small incentives that work within the cap, IMO.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:22 AM
xxxZENxxx

Folks... for how many years exactly are we going to keep bringing Vinny Prospal back? We all love the guy, but there is a point when it is clear he is not needed anymore and we have to just let go. The day BR signed a contract, what he brings to this team was not needed anymore.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Folks... for how many years exactly are we going to keep bringing Vinny Prospal back? We all love the guy, but there is a point when it is clear he is not needed anymore and we have to just let go. The day BR signed a contract, what he brings to this team was not needed anymore.
I completely disagree.

You really couldn't ask for much more from a depth signing than what you would get with Prospal. He slots in almost anywhere in the lineup, and would come very cheap. Furthermore, he is a better player than most of our forwards. Why let him go when it's peanuts to keep him? It makes no sense.

People are assuming that certain players are ready to make the jump to the NHL, when they really may not be. There's no problem with letting guys like Hagelin and MZA start the year in CT and be injury callups if they can't win a roster spot out of camp. There will always be injuries during the season, and everyone's concerns about youngsters being blocked don't often come to fruition. Bottom line is that Prospal is a no-brainer IMO, if the price is right of course.

Old
07-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Huh?

Richards has little to do with the Prospal situation. The major question is who would you rather have play top 6 left wing? Prospal or Wolski?

Im curious to see how you can look at this roster and definitively say "he (Prospal) is not needed anymore"

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:35 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If we could sign Prospal and package Wolski for a veteran RHD to play with (most likely) Erixon or Del Zotto. That would be great.

And bring back Eminger as the 7th.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:49 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Huh?

Richards has little to do with the Prospal situation. The major question is who would you rather have play top 6 left wing? Prospal or Wolski?

Im curious to see how you can look at this roster and definitively say "he (Prospal) is not needed anymore"
The only reason they signed Prospal was to play with Gaborik and provide veteran leadership. We have BR to do that now. And then there is the fact that we have 14 forwards on this team without even taking into account rookies. I really wonder if he can keep up with Gabs & BR on the ice at this point. He looked VERY slow last year and was invisible in games. I am not used to seeing that from Prospal.

I'd much rather give Wolski a shot than re-sign Prospal. Vinny should only be signed as a last resort. He just can't go anymore. I know he put up some points early on when he came back, but he just ran out of gas. We need to go young.

My overall reaction to your post was... how do you think Prospal IS needed anymore? It just doesn't make sense anymore.

Last edited by xxxZENxxx: 07-19-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old
07-19-2011, 08:53 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I completely disagree.

You really couldn't ask for much more from a depth signing than what you would get with Prospal. He slots in almost anywhere in the lineup, and would come very cheap. Furthermore, he is a better player than most of our forwards. Why let him go when it's peanuts to keep him? It makes no sense. Bottom line is that Prospal is a no-brainer IMO, if the price is right of course.
What do you mean by cheap? He played for $2.48M last year and I doubt he would be taking a huge pay cut to return. And I definitely don't think he is a better player than most of our forwards anymore. Did anyone actually watch him play towards the end of the season? Torts didn't even want to put him on the ice anymore, he was so bad. He was looking a bit like Drury did when he was giving so much effort and there was just nothing left.

I get that he was AMAZING with Gaborik a couple years ago. He is not the same player anymore.

Last edited by xxxZENxxx: 07-19-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old
07-19-2011, 09:09 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
The only reason they signed Prospal was to play with Gaborik and provide veteran leadership. We have BR to do that now. And then there is the fact that we have 14 forwards on this team without even taking into account rookies. I really wonder if he can keep up with Gabs & BR on the ice at this point. He looked VERY slow last year and was invisible in games. I am not used to seeing that from Prospal.

I'd much rather give Wolski a shot than re-sign Prospal. Vinny should only be signed as a last resort. He just can't go anymore. I know he put up some points early on when he came back, but he just ran out of gas. We need to go young.

My overall reaction to your post was... how do you think Prospal IS needed anymore? It just doesn't make sense anymore.
But realistically you're saying you'd rather have a Christensen/MZA/Avery in the lineup instead of Vinny. Because if not, then you're saying you think a rookie will produce what he can. Either way, I disagree.

I do agree about Wolski getting a shot though. I think people think of him like Zherdev too much because of the talent and not performing. But to me they're different because Zherdev was a dick and Wolski seems like a good kid who wants to do well but struggles to find that consistency. If he can find it this year he would be huge.

Quote:
What do you mean by cheap? He played for $2.48M last year and I doubt he would be taking a huge pay cut to return. And I definitely don't think he is a better player than most of our forwards anymore. Did anyone actually watch him play towards the end of the season? Torts didn't even want to put him on the ice anymore, he was so bad. He was looking a bit like Drury did when he was giving so much effort and there was just nothing left.

I get that he was AMAZING with Gaborik a couple years ago. He is not the same player anymore.

What was his cap hit though? That's all that matters.

I also don't think that limiting his minutes is a bad idea, but to say he slowed down is a little crazy. He came back from a horrible knee injury that everyone expected to end his career and was almost a PPG player. How you undervalue that so much is beyond me.

His role can be structured differently. There's no reason Dubi can't be double shifted sometimes and other players and spell him. There's no reason he can't get a night off in the press box. The bottom line is having the OPTION of Prospal if you can fit him makes your team deeper and more talented.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:14 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
How did Prospal run out of gas? 4G/2A over the final 5 regular season games.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I don't see the downside to bringing him back. If/when he goes down, it's a great opportunity for a young guy to step in. When he's healthy, we have a veteran leader who can still create offensive opportunity's.

Look at the numbers he's produced the last two season's here. Vinny can still play.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:57 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I don't see the downside to bringing him back. If/when he goes down, it's a great opportunity for a young guy to step in. When he's healthy, we have a veteran leader who can still create offensive opportunity's.

Look at the numbers he's produced the last two season's here. Vinny can still play.
Agree, no real downside.

And he would be relatively cheap.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:

I could ask the same exact question..... because it definitely seems like we weren't watching the same player.

Just some numbers for you to consider. Prospal played 29 games at the end of the regular season. During that time he scored 23 points (9 goals and 14 assists) for a .793 PPG average. He was also a +4, and averaged 15:19 of icetime per game, with 12:11 being even strength, 3:08 being power play, and no penalty kill time. He has 13 even strength points and 10 power play points. He also was 53.9% on faceoffs, among the best on the team. This was all coming back from more than 2/3 of the season on IR.

How you can, given the above information, say Prospal is done is ridiculous. It's obvious that he had lost a step coming off of a major injury. Even if he doesn't regain any speed, which I'm not so sure he won't given an entire offseason to rehab, he is still an asset to this team. He's a boost to the PP, and Torts protected him by not giving him any PK duty or over-using him at ES.

Limit his ES time, no PK duty, and alot of PP time is the role that he should have. We already know that he can flourish in this role, even coming off of knee surgery. Isn't it worth the pittance that he would get to have someone like that in the lineup? I certainly think so.

Old
07-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Agree, no real downside.

And he would be relatively cheap.
Third line with Stepan and MZA. Can help take defensive faceoffs. Has the creativity to play with a guy like MZA. That line might be a bit atrocious defensively though. Maybe swap AA/Stepan, have Derek center Cally's line. It'll balance things out a bit.

I just know I'd prefer Vinny over some of the guys currently on the roster. Richards will help things offensively, as will the natural progression with our young core, but I still think we could use a little more scoring depth, and that's exactly what we'll get with Vinny, imo.

Old
07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I certainly hope we offer him a contract! He only played 29 games for us, but put up some good numbers. He's a vet; and its only 1 injury. Sure, cite it, but you can't deny what he brings. Experience, grit, and just plain old love for the game. He's all hustle and hard work. It's good for the club. I'd much rather see Vinny have a spot than Avery or Wolski, and honestly, EC isn't much help. We can dump him... We have Hagelin and Zuccarello fighting for a spot too. After we sign Dubinsky and Callahan, I think we're going to offer Prospal something, or at least invite him to camp, like we did to Fedotenko. And then look how he turned out

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I certainly hope we offer him a contract! He only played 29 games for us, but put up some good numbers. He's a vet; and its only 1 injury. Sure, cite it, but you can't deny what he brings. Experience, grit, and just plain old love for the game. He's all hustle and hard work. It's good for the club. I'd much rather see Vinny have a spot than Avery or Wolski, and honestly, EC isn't much help. We can dump him... We have Hagelin and Zuccarello fighting for a spot too. After we sign Dubinsky and Callahan, I think we're going to offer Prospal something, or at least invite him to camp, like we did to Fedotenko. And then look how he turned out
You're one crazy Ranger fan.

Old
07-19-2011, 11:28 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Quote:
It's hard to gauge as fans how well a player like Eminger was playing. A lot of little things done wrong, bad breakout passes that may not cost us but add up to a lot of turnovers, other chances, etc...Not clearing the zone when he should be able to, etc. I feel like all you see from a 3rd pair guy that plays 8 minutes is whether or not he's on the ice for a noticable amount of goals and whether or not he's scoring. If Eminger isn't posting points, you simply write it off as it not being his style, that he's defensive minded.

It should be telling that Gilroy played over him down the stretch and the playoffs, and clearly management and the coaching staff didn't think that highly of him, either.
i disagree with your assesment of how the coaching staff handled him

i dont think he was scratched becuase he wasn't performing, i think it was because the team was hurting for goals and the coaching staff felt like it couldnt keep Gilroy's offensive potential out of the lineup

With the surprisingly solid performance of the McD-Sauer pairing, Emminger became the odd man out. However, i dont belive this was an indictment of the coaches confidence in him as a defenseman. One example to the contrary is when staal was injured Eminger started seeing 20+ minutes a night and after performing admirably, was praised publically by the coaching staff.

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote