HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McD + for MPS - would you do it?

Old
07-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Chalfdiggity3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Brian Boyle has already pointed out some deficiencies in your post so i will not do the same.

The bottom line is that with all the fan fare that our system gets it's still pretty thin with regards to talente dplayers up front that project out to be top 6 forwards.

Kreider and Thomas...after that it's pretty thin at best.

Zuccs is not long for this team. It's an opinion, but He's not a bottom six guy and I do not believe he can carry the load as a top 6 guy. I could see him flourishing as a decent player on a very bad team, but not someone you want to rely on.

And Carl Hagelin is a perfect 3rd/4th line forward.

MPS, just like Kreider, has WJ18, WJC, WC success. He's come into the NHL in a tough spot up there in Edmonton and posted better numbers than Anisimov did in his first year in the NHL AND Anisimov had 2 AHL seasons to get used to the style of play)

Your attempt at diminishing what he's done at the NHL level falls short.

Also, I personally believe that his ceiling is higher than McD's.
I read Boyles remarks and i do see his points but there are plenty of flaws with his comments too. You can list all the stats that you want but there are always players that have sophmore slumps. Or have started hot and never amounted to much.

Quote:
He wasn't a "disappointment" unless you were holding him to the ridiculous standards set by the fans last offseason. A 15/19/34 statline is about in line with what people should have been expecting from him.
I never said that MPS didnt have a good year, im just saying that with all the hype surrounding him, i just dont think he will be the player everyone is overhyping him to be. I think hell end up a very good 2nd line LW.

Quote:
Paajarvi was averaging 15:23 TOIPG last season. 1:50 PPTOI. He really wasjn't playing a "ton" of minutes in any sense.

These were the lines he played on the majority of last season at ES:
The kid still averaged 17-18min a game, thats still solid 2nd line minutes, or top end 3rd line minutes depending upon how well he is playing.

Umm idk about you but I thought Omark and Gagner were supposed to be talented offensive players? not sure how you can say he didnt play with quality players.

Stepan still had 45pts with the likes of Wolski and Zucca as his linemates. Not real

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Brian Boyle has already pointed out some deficiencies in your post so i will not do the same.

The bottom line is that with all the fan fare that our system gets it's still pretty thin with regards to talente dplayers up front that project out to be top 6 forwards.

Kreider and Thomas...after that it's pretty thin at best.

Zuccs is not long for this team. It's an opinion, but He's not a bottom six guy and I do not believe he can carry the load as a top 6 guy. I could see him flourishing as a decent player on a very bad team, but not someone you want to rely on.

And Carl Hagelin is a perfect 3rd/4th line forward.

MPS, just like Kreider, has WJ18, WJC, WC success. He's come into the NHL in a tough spot up there in Edmonton and posted better numbers than Anisimov did in his first year in the NHL AND Anisimov had 2 AHL seasons to get used to the style of play)

Your attempt at diminishing what he's done at the NHL level falls short.

Also, I personally believe that his ceiling is higher than McD's.
How can you compare Anisimov and MPS with their success before coming here. They both played in DIFFERENT leagues lol.

I personally have alot of faith that Krieder and Thomas will actually both pan out. I love both of their skill sets, determination, work ethic, and heart. Adding them to the likes of Richards, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Stepan, Anisimov. Thats easily a great top 6 in the nhl.

I agree that we are pretty thin at the forward spot for us but we have alot of Boom/Bust players that we have in the system and just drafted like St Croix, McClogan, Miller, Hagelin, and so on.

Would i love to have MPS, sure but not at the expense of Mcdonagh who i see as someone that could rival Staal for our #1 spot.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:43 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
People also forget Sauer could become oft-injured again.

I think McD will become a legit #1 D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
McDonagh has top pairing potential. We only started to see what McD is capable of last season. I think Paajarvi is redundant unless Kreider doesn't pan out. Pass on this one.
Sure would be nice if that's how he turns out. Word on the street is that Erixon will be better than McDonagh. Talk about a sick D if both of those guys reach that level.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:51 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

It may sound cliche but I firmly believe that defense wins championships.

I like MPS as a player and would make a strong offer for him if he were available...but I think McDonagh is too important of a piece for our defensive core. Personally, I see him as having Staal-like upside as a top-pairing shutdown guy (obviously they both have different strenghts & weaknesses). We also realistically have noone to replace him in the pipeline.

07-18-2011, 08:13 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Idk what team you were watching but Mcd is not behing Sauer in the depth chart. It goes Staal, Girardi, Mcd, then Sauer. Mcd and Sauer were both rock solid two way players and to say that a 22 and 24yo player wont continue to grow and get better after their rookies seasons is ridiculous. Mcd has shown flashes of being the same type of player that Marc Staal is. And by the way Marc Staal is a #1 dman, and an all-star. You would trade him for a player who with all the hype about him was only able to put up 15g? Come on man!

We have plenty of our own center prospects in Anisimov and Stepan who have BOTH out scored MP and are both under 23yo! How can you say we dont have players like him? Id like to see how far sauer and Mcd progress this season along with the play of Erixon, before i make a rash decision in making a trade.

Are you even a rangers fan since you obviously have no idea how to spell Staals name which makes me seriously question everything else you said. I understand that its your opinion but ive never read anything i didnt feel dumber from reading except when i read this.

I would definatly trade anyone depending upon if it was for the right player. MP for Mcdonagh is a negative move by us. If you were talking about Taylor Hall, then it would be a different story.

Where in my post did i say i would trade Staal for MPS. I said i would trade Mcd or Girardi but not Sauer or Staal as i think they are the best D man we have going forward. The fact that you rate Sauer behind Mcd only shows that your pretty dumb yourself not to mention u mention Taylor Hall with Mcd which is funny.

MPS reminds me a little like Jagr when he broke into the league and id love to have him but i wont bother arguing with you as you obviously love Mcd. Everyones got there opinion and mine is id would do that trade in a second but im sure no one on the Edm forum nor would the manager accept it. Im not going to say Mcd is going to be a bad player but im more sold on Sauer than i am Mcd and from what i watched he was the better D man last year. But hey u think differently and will see how it goes.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
It may sound cliche but I firmly believe that defense wins championships.

I like MPS as a player and would make a strong offer for him if he were available...but I think McDonagh is too important of a piece for our defensive core. Personally, I see him as having Staal-like upside as a top-pairing shutdown guy (obviously they both have different strenghts & weaknesses). We also realistically have noone to replace him in the pipeline.
Its not really cliche, though.

Its the truth.

And special teams and faceoffs are critical.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:17 PM
NYRantLftyC19

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
The fact that you rate Sauer behind Mcd only shows that your pretty dumb yourself
He's not the only one who believes McD is ahead of Sauer. Sure, Sauer's defensive game is a bit more polished, as it should be because he has been playing the pro game longer... But to me it is obvious that McD has a higher potential than Sauer. Especially offensively.

It would be interesting to see a poll of who NYR fans think will be better, McD or Sauer..

NYRantLftyC19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

McD - why all the love? He's our 4th best dman.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
3rd best IMO, and I think he'll be surpassing Girardi pretty soon

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Because we acquired him as a throw in on the Gomez deal, and he slid right in on the 2nd pairing as a rookie where he had a very solid season. At only 22 years of age there's no reason to assume we've seen his best hockey yet.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
He's our 3rd best d-man who played spectacularly in his rookie season after about half a season in the AHL (his first pro experience out of college) who has tremendous tools.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:03 AM
pld459666

One thing I didn't realize about McD is that the kid checks in at 220+ lbs.

Skates the way he skates, has the capabilities to play an honest offensive game, if he can add some snarl to his game, I think I may re-consider the thought process of his availability.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:09 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
He'll be the 2nd best by the end of next season.;

07-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Its not really cliche, though.

Its the truth.

And special teams and faceoffs are critical.
Nah, its false for sure.

I don't know how many teams that has been strong defensively and had all the intanglibles but has been ridiculously dominated by "better" teams after the lockout. The teams that win the momentum battle wins the series basically 9/10 times these days. That's a fact.

Win the momentum battle and you'll win the series. That is what it is about these days.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:12 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Nah, its false for sure.

I don't know how many teams that has been strong defensively and had all the intanglibles but has been ridiculously dominated by "better" teams after the lockout. The teams that win the momentum battle wins the series basically 9/10 times these days. That's a fact.

Win the momentum battle and you'll win the series. That is what it is about these days.
it's usually the teams that have the better defences that win those momentum battles that you speak of.

The point is that teams with better defences can better control and withstand potential momentum shifts thus allowing them to sustain and prolong their own shifts.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
That is a ridiculous statement. I would question from that statement if you understand hockey at all.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:21 AM
E Nixson