HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alain Berger (french)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2011, 10:35 AM
  #1
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Alain Berger (french)

http://www.swiss-icehockey.ch/SIH/ak...n_berger_f.php

The kid looks like he knows what he has to do and he's motivated. Hopefully he pans out.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:49 AM
  #2
Gros Bonhomme
Benoit Brunet #1 Fan
 
Gros Bonhomme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Gros Bonhomme
Whenever I read his name I picture him as an 40 year old defenseman for some reason...

Good article, I hope he pans out!

Gros Bonhomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:49 AM
  #3
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,132
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quick translations

-Dallas, Phoenix and others were interested, felt he had the best chance in Montreal

-The article notes that Montreal doesn't usually sign young players "out of the blue" so Berger says it's an encouraging sign they were interested in him

-Said he didn't get to see much of the city at the rookie camp, but the organization was very professional. Complimented the training facilities. Everyone was very accomodating.

-Had a good talk with Martin who seemed to know a bit about him.

-Said he's not putting pressure on himself and wants to take it slow, with his ultimate goal being the NHL. Says he'll be patient and wait for his chance by playing in the AHL but also knows what he's capable of. Says in North America you have to show lots of self-confidence and not be timid like some Europeans can be, because someone else could grab your spot.

-Said his foot injury (which might have contributed to him getting passed over in the draft) is in the past and he's almost happy to have not been drafted because he got to be a free agent.

-Says he thought for a long time about staying in Bern but wanted to make the NHL, not to mention being in Bern was hurting his development because he wasn't playing much. If he could have, he would have come over to NA sooner.

-Said his billet family was great and he quickly became a leader of the team (Oshawa), which helped his development. Calls himself a power forward who brings energy (the article compares his style to Peter Forsberg). Says his weakness is his skating and he knows he needs to get faster.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:59 AM
  #4
MistaWa16
Registered User
 
MistaWa16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
I thought the article was interesting until i read that his major problem was skating

But, he has decent stats in the O, 6'4 and says he like to us his body, could be interesting if he improves his skating.

Will be interesting what he can do in Hamilton if he makes the team this year

MistaWa16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:07 AM
  #5
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWa16 View Post
I thought the article was interesting until i read that his major problem was skating

But, he has decent stats in the O, 6'4 and says he like to us his body, could be interesting if he improves his skating.

Will be interesting what he can do in Hamilton if he makes the team this year
Let's wait and see. Some big guys who weren't great skaters made a name for themselves in the NHL (Phil Esposito and Dave Andreychik come to mind).

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:15 AM
  #6
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Let's wait and see. Some big guys who weren't great skaters made a name for themselves in the NHL (Phil Esposito and Dave Andreychik come to mind).
Different times..


But skating is probably the aspect of hockey that is the most teachable.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:18 PM
  #7
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 500
I saw this guy at the Rookie Camp and was REALLY suprised. He was seriously one of the best rookies there. Good Shot. Great Release. Big. Physical. Decent skating.

He is going to be a good PWF.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 03:25 PM
  #8
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
Too bad Benoit is gone (yea I know). He won't go "a L'harceleur... et Berrrgerrr le, il est un gros bonhomme. Ben, Pierre, les deux jeunes joueurs sont gros bonhommes... mais Gallagherrr le... pas un gros bonhomme.. son tir.. ROCKET! *stupid laugh*"

Ahem on topic, Berger has some good top 6-tweener potential. I hope the Randys help him with his skating.


Last edited by DekeLikeYouMeanIt: 07-19-2011 at 03:33 PM.
DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 03:28 PM
  #9
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Different times..


But skating is probably the aspect of hockey that is the most teachable.
Different times, yes, but you don't need the best of skating to make it to the front of the net. Just need good balance and a willingness to go there.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 03:50 PM
  #10
MooseOllini
BobBarker
 
MooseOllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Dude, imagine having Pacioretty and him in our top 6! *drool*

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:28 PM
  #11
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man
 
Dirty Danglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
Dude, imagine having Pacioretty and him in our top 6! *drool*
we have patches and cole in our top six lol thats better!

Dirty Danglez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:33 PM
  #12
MooseOllini
BobBarker
 
MooseOllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Quick translations

-Dallas, Phoenix and others were interested, felt he had the best chance in Montreal

-The article notes that Montreal doesn't usually sign young players "out of the blue" so Berger says it's an encouraging sign they were interested in him

-Said he didn't get to see much of the city at the rookie camp, but the organization was very professional. Complimented the training facilities. Everyone was very accomodating.

-Had a good talk with Martin who seemed to know a bit about him.

-Said he's not putting pressure on himself and wants to take it slow, with his ultimate goal being the NHL. Says he'll be patient and wait for his chance by playing in the AHL but also knows what he's capable of. Says in North America you have to show lots of self-confidence and not be timid like some Europeans can be, because someone else could grab your spot.

-Said his foot injury (which might have contributed to him getting passed over in the draft) is in the past and he's almost happy to have not been drafted because he got to be a free agent.

-Says he thought for a long time about staying in Bern but wanted to make the NHL, not to mention being in Bern was hurting his development because he wasn't playing much. If he could have, he would have come over to NA sooner.

-Said his billet family was great and he quickly became a leader of the team (Oshawa), which helped his development. Calls himself a power forward who brings energy (the article compares his style to Peter Forsberg). Says his weakness is his skating and he knows he needs to get faster.
wrong. The article states that he had Forsberg as role model growing up

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:49 PM
  #13
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 2,997
vCash: 500
Actually something he says that, in my view is very important and shows that he understands how hockey business works in Canada, is :
"In Canada you have to be confident in yourself and in your means. If you do no succeed, then your neighbor will succeed. You have to mark your presence and show that you are not a european like the others, else you will be burried in the dept of the organization".

In my view, since I follow him, he is among the most "North-American" Swiss players.

I think that his style will be more profitable in NA than in Switzerland. Not only physically but mentally. He fits into a star system. In Switzerland the principle is more a type of bee system ... .

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:22 AM
  #14
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Like I mentioned when doing a Player Spotlight on Berger, he seems to be the player the Habs thought and hoped they were getting when they traded for Ian Schultz. Power forward who drives the net and plays with jam. Let's hope that, unlike Schultz, his skating won't hold him back at the pro level.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:26 AM
  #15
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,641
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Interesting read and I hope he pans out. As others have mentioned, his skating deficiencies can be overcome, especially if he is willing to place his big body in front of the net.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.