HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Yashin Rumored to Be Returning..

View Poll Results: Should we consider signing Yashin for a year?
Sure, why not? It's only a year. 9 15.25%
Hell no! 41 69.49%
I hope Yashin dies in a fire. 9 15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Dabs21Nike

vCash: 500
No way. He was disinterested as a 25 year old making a lot of money, what's going to make him commited as a 35 year old making a lot of money?

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:48 AM
ohheyimmark

Not even if he paid us to play.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:05 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Yashin is over 35 years old. Sending him to the AHL doesn't get him off the cap. Even if he retires he stays on the cap. It's too much risk. I'd rather sign Drury. At least we know he wants to win. And if Drury can't play, he'll probably be on LTIR where he won't impact the cap.
Yes it does come off if he signs a 1-year deal. The 35+ clause only affects multi-year contracts (and even then I think it still doesn't apply in the first year of the deal).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I can't see Buffalo even batting an eye at him. Everyone knows Ruff is not a fan of Russian players & vice versa... Max was a good team guy & he still had issues with the Sabres coaching staff, same with Kalinin. Not to mention the $$$ I'm sure Yashin still thinks he's worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
It's always Ruff's fault when Russian players are discussed. Such nonsense.

A North American player does something their coach doesn't like and gets benched : It's the players fault. He should have listened!

A European player does something their coach doesn't like and gets benched : THE COACH IS BIASED AGAINST TEH EUROS!!!

Russian players have had problems with strong minded coaching for years all over the NHL.
I personally have never heard of Ruff having an issue with his Austrian, Czech, Swede, Slovak etc... players, so I am not sure where your Euros rant came from exactly.

Apparently you missed the "Vice versa" in the original post (or are unfamiliar with the meaning) - Lindy is biased against Russian players' attitudes/style in general, that is not a secret... Russian players dont like playing for Lindy Ruff, also not a secret... I wouldn't (and didn't) say it is Ruff's "fault", as the feelings seem to be fairly mutual. It is however (IMO) a big reason why there are no Russians on the team.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:16 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Wow, for Russians disliking Ruff and vise versa being "not a secret" I have never heard, read, or seen that FACT.

Have a source? Proof? Or are you just throwing bleep against a wall and seeing what sticks?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Yes it does come off if he signs a 1-year deal. The 35+ clause only affects multi-year contracts (and even then I think it still doesn't apply in the first year of the deal).
You're right. I still wouldn't want him.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:26 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
You're right. I still wouldn't want him.
Oh I agree, but it's not often one gets to correct Buffaloed on CBA issues, so let me relish this while I can

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
I can't see Buffalo even batting an eye at him. Everyone knows Ruff is not a fan of Russian players & vice versa... Max was a good team guy & he still had issues with the Sabres coaching staff, same with Kalinin. Not to mention the $$$ I'm sure Yashin still thinks he's worth.

It's quite remarkable how the NHL careers of Afinogenov and Kalinin blossomed once they got away from Ruff.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
It's quite remarkable how the NHL careers of Afinogenov and Kalinin blossomed once they got away from Ruff.
Don't you know that Ruff RUINED them?

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
**** no.

07-19-2011, 02:05 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Sign him for league minimum, put his locker in a different room, and put duct tape over his mouth. Then maybe it's a good fit.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:21 PM
kirby11

sure, sign yashin and then trade him to calgary for their 2013 2nd round pick

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:12 PM
zbubble

If we're that desperate for a center I'd rather play Adam.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:02 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Hell no.

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:03 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

I can't wait for the season to start.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Tra La La

Only if Barry Smith were on the staff. Smith got the best year out of Yashin in a long time 2 years ago. (With ST Petersburg.)

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Kozyshank

How did we go from "hell no" to "die in a fire" ? That escalated quickly....

I want Yashin and Plekanec to have a turtle-neck battle

Kozyshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

REPORT: YASHIN IN NO HURRY TO MAKE DECISION ON FUTURE
Quote:
While the New York Islanders are talking to Alexei Yashin about returning to the NHL, the former Islander is in no hurry to make his decision.

According to Newsday, Yashin is weighing all his options, including resuming his career in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League, before deciding where he will play next season.

"The thing is, I'm an unrestricted free agent," Yashin told Newsday. "I'll look at all situations. We'll see what is the right decision for me."
In other words he's trying to use the Islanders the same way Jagr used the Pens.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:18 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Apparently you missed the "Vice versa" in the original post (or are unfamiliar with the meaning) - Lindy is biased against Russian players' attitudes/style in general, that is not a secret... Russian players dont like playing for Lindy Ruff, also not a secret... I wouldn't (and didn't) say it is Ruff's "fault", as the feelings seem to be fairly mutual. It is however (IMO) a big reason why there are no Russians on the team.
Please show me one credible reference that Lindy Ruff doesn't Russian players on his teams. Go ahead. I'll wait. You won't find one.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:26 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

I'd have to say no to Yashin. Mainly because we are really only 1 piece away from being serious contenders and that one piece needs to either be a decent center with no baggage, or a serious character veteran. Neither which is Yashin.

Had to say no baggage to eliminate Yashin. Of course he possessed the NHL skill set for the center we need, at one time but the intangibales he has displayed over the years is not what our team needs.

If Ryan Miller just said "we have had the talent but we were missing the attitude/confidence," how would Yashin help? He epitomizes that statement.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Bwahaha... Kalinin.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:47 AM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Hey, he made a national team :/

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischl...he-nhl-1.71371
Quote:
Writing from her native Moscow, my Russian hockey correspondent, Anna Batugina, reports that Maxim (Mad Max) Afinogenov married ex-tennis ace, Olympic champ, Elena Dementieva.

"The ceremony," writes Batugina, "was held on the Ritz-Carlton Hotel's rooftop in Moscow. The guest list included Alex Ovechkin, Alexei Yashin, Ilya Kovalchuk and the Kontinental Hockey League president Alexander Medvedev."

According to Anna, one reason why Yashin is seeking NHL-employment is that his former team, SKA -- reputedly the wealthiest KHL club -- is putting an accent on youth. Devils fans may remember SKA's coach, Alexei Kasatonov, who teamed up in New Jersey with Slava Fetisov. Remarkably, the two talked on the ice but not off because of a bitter feud that they nurtured throughout their stay at The Meadowlands.
I found the news about Max more interesting so I included it.
Sounds like Yashin is going to have to find another team to play for in the KHL, and he's unlikely to find one that will pay him as much money as he's accustomed to making.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:21 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I think we would be better off paying CarlWinslow to suit up and play. I may not be able to compete but at least I would work my balls off and not drive down locker room morale with a diva attitude.

I think this team's locker room is fragile. For whatever reason it always seems to be. Adding a guy like Yashin could ruin things quickly.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
I personally have never heard of Ruff having an issue with his Austrian, Czech, Swede, Slovak etc... players, so I am not sure where your Euros rant came from exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Wow, for Russians disliking Ruff and vise versa being "not a secret" I have never heard, read, or seen that FACT.

Have a source? Proof? Or are you just throwing bleep against a wall and seeing what sticks?
I'm not sure either where the generalization is coming from. While there were some (Kozlov, Kalinin, Afinogenov) that had publicly-reported spats with Ruff, there have been others (Tsyplakov, Zhitnik) that Ruff relied on and bestowed a fair share of trust in and who played well under him.

Quote:
Think you forgot the emoticon....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote