HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Prospal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
  #51
xxxZENxxx
Registered User
 
xxxZENxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
I understand everything being said about Prospal and why he is being seen as a good signing by some. It is about knowing when it is time to cut bait on older players and I think now is the time for Vinny. We have the leadership now, so the only reason to bring him back is to play with the top line. If you think he is good enough to fill that role and is better than what we have, then so be it. I was impressed with the point scoring from Prospal last year despite how much he slowed down from the knee issues, but it is time to go younger IMO.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
  #52
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,157
vCash: 50
Awards:
The time to go younger, IMO, is when the younger guys show they're ready. Who is ready? I have some guys that I think are ready, but I'm not going to keep a spot vacant for them in anticipation of that. It's not like we're signing a guy to a multi-year, multi-million contract here--Vinny can easily be scratched, waived or traded if people prove they're ready to assume a full time spot.

And to the question of, "Where can he play?" Well, where can't he play? He can play all three forward positions. He's a good face off guy, and while he's slow, is still relatively responsible on defense. He could play wing on the top line, wing on a third line, slot in for any of the centers if they were injured, play on either PP unit, and so on.

I just don't see why having him around would be at all negative. He's easy to clear from the books (he'd probably retire if waived, IMO), we can afford him, he's well-liked, and most importantly, he's still a good player. I don't pass that up because we have young players that may or may not be ready.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:44 PM
  #53
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I understand everything being said about Prospal and why he is being seen as a good signing by some. It is about knowing when it is time to cut bait on older players and I think now is the time for Vinny. We have the leadership now, so the only reason to bring him back is to play with the top line. If you think he is good enough to fill that role and is better than what we have, then so be it. I was impressed with the point scoring from Prospal last year despite how much he slowed down from the knee issues, but it is time to go younger IMO.
Perhaps you've said it elsewhere in the thread and I've missed it, bit what is lost by signing him?

If a kid outplays him in camp then that's excellent, he should get the spot

But I see no drawback to signing a cheap veteran to compete for the chance to provide help on the powerplay and add to our scoring depth on a very young and unpolished team

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
  #54
Chalfdiggity3
Registered User
 
Chalfdiggity3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Gladly resign him for cheap to play on one of our top 3 lines. I like him as a leader, a player, and his heart. He would be a welcome addition to our team for 1 more year. After that, then its time to cut bait. He is a low risk/meduim reward player

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
  #55
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Any word on his health?

Does he get another deal in NY
Yes at the trade deadline, like Foppa or Sundin. This time NY adds a veteran at the deadline without losing a 2nd round pick.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:12 PM
  #56
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
The time to go younger, IMO, is when the younger guys show they're ready. Who is ready? I have some guys that I think are ready, but I'm not going to keep a spot vacant for them in anticipation of that. It's not like we're signing a guy to a multi-year, multi-million contract here--Vinny can easily be scratched, waived or traded if people prove they're ready to assume a full time spot.

And to the question of, "Where can he play?" Well, where can't he play? He can play all three forward positions. He's a good face off guy, and while he's slow, is still relatively responsible on defense. He could play wing on the top line, wing on a third line, slot in for any of the centers if they were injured, play on either PP unit, and so on.

I just don't see why having him around would be at all negative. He's easy to clear from the books (he'd probably retire if waived, IMO), we can afford him, he's well-liked, and most importantly, he's still a good player. I don't pass that up because we have young players that may or may not be ready.
Exactly. It's a no brainer to give him a deal. Frankly, it would be stupid NOT to, given what he brings to the team compared to his price.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:06 PM
  #57
xxxZENxxx
Registered User
 
xxxZENxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
Perhaps you've said it elsewhere in the thread and I've missed it, bit what is lost by signing him?

If a kid outplays him in camp then that's excellent, he should get the spot

But I see no drawback to signing a cheap veteran to compete for the chance to provide help on the powerplay and add to our scoring depth on a very young and unpolished team
You don't usually sign people "just in case" unless you are worried they might go elsewhere. I doubt Sather is worrying. I could see them waiting until September to see how things play out, then making a decision on bringing Prospal back.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:16 PM
  #58
Theon
Fear the Beard
 
Theon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500


Love Vinny and his energy. Would love to have him back.

Theon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:33 PM
  #59
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Yes at the trade deadline, like Foppa or Sundin. This time NY adds a veteran at the deadline without losing a 2nd round pick.
Why would he wait until the deadline to play when he can play now?

The last thing I want is to bring in someone at the deadline who isn't in game shape.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:34 PM
  #60
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i disagree with your assesment of how the coaching staff handled him

i dont think he was scratched becuase he wasn't performing, i think it was because the team was hurting for goals and the coaching staff felt like it couldnt keep Gilroy's offensive potential out of the lineup

With the surprisingly solid performance of the McD-Sauer pairing, Emminger became the odd man out. However, i dont belive this was an indictment of the coaches confidence in him as a defenseman. One example to the contrary is when staal was injured Eminger started seeing 20+ minutes a night and after performing admirably, was praised publically by the coaching staff.
I think it was pretty evident that Gilroy's offense was just that -- potential.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:03 PM
  #61
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,929
vCash: 500
At 1 year for $1 M, sign me up.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.