HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Salary Arbitration (Callahan on July 28, Dubinsky signs before hearing)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
The Rangers really cannot afford to move Dubinsky at this point, with their lack of LW depth.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
07-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

vCash: 500
Come on boys, sign before this whole arbitration **** starts.

Old
07-19-2011, 11:46 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
He is completely touchable and if he were to get traded, fans would be calling for Sather's head, because they are too idiotic to see that Duby just asks for it.
He's asking to be traded by exercising his rights under the CBA?

It's just pain.
Old
07-19-2011, 11:47 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
The Rangers really cannot afford to move Dubinsky at this point, with their lack of LW depth.
Unless another LW were to come back of course.

Old
07-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
He's asking to be traded by exercising his rights under the CBA?
Comon, don't get technical. After the whole fiasco 2 years ago, and now not signing a long term deal because he wants the extra 500K and heading towards arbitration, along with the fact that he is inconsistent. He is no where near Callahan status.

Old
07-19-2011, 11:49 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Unless another LW were to come back of course.
that's the only way it makes sense. Either they trade him for a similar player, get a long term deal done, or take the arbitration settlement.

Old
07-19-2011, 11:51 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Comon, don't get technical. After the whole fiasco 2 years ago, and now not signing a long term deal because he wants the extra 500K and heading towards arbitration, along with the fact that he is inconsistent. He is no where near Callahan status.
I'm not getting technical. Not at all. There are certain mechanisms within the CBA, and Dubinsky is utilizing them. I don't think it's wrong, unjust, greedy, whatever. None of that. I have zero problem whatsoever with what he is doing.

Old
07-19-2011, 11:51 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
I would imagine the Rangers offered something similar to Staal's contract. If they are balking over less then 500k, it will get done in a timely fashion.
good point. that would be a fair deal for both dubi and cally. you could argue +/- a few $100k but that should be in the ballpark

Old
07-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
I'm not getting technical. Not at all. There are certain mechanisms within the CBA, and Dubinsky is utilizing them. I don't think it's wrong, unjust, greedy, whatever. None of that. I have zero problem whatsoever with what he is doing.
Well yea, what he is doing isn't wrong, he has all the right to do it, but he's asking for a trade by doing it. It shows greed, etc... If he wanted to sign for 3.8 a year, he would, but noooooooo we need 4.2 ....

Old
07-19-2011, 11:53 AM
RidinwitdaKING

my guess is 3.5M for Dubinsky and 4M for Callahan. Years 3-5.
I say Dubi does go to arbitration and Callahan settles before.

Old
07-19-2011, 11:56 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I hold absolutely no ill-will towards Brandon for going this route, I just, for some time now, have thought Dubinsky would be the piece used to bring in a missing piece.

Its just the feeling I get.....

Old
07-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Question. Do the Rangers have until the exact time of the court hearing to get the deal done, or would it have to be done by 11:59 PM tomorrow night?

Old
07-19-2011, 12:08 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Been a few days since last #NYR negotiations on Callahan. Not a bad sign, just that focus is on Dubinsky right now.
Spector

Old
07-19-2011, 12:11 PM
nyrfan1026

lets not forget, brooks started up that firestorm with drury filing the injury papers thus blocking the buy-out, yet a week later what ended up happening?
i'm still thinking a deal gets worked out before thursday...
and those worried about dubi leaving, i doubt torts would let that fly, over $? no shot, and he has just as much say as anyone...
this is just typical agent BS tryin to get the best deal for his player...
i think dubi stands more to lose if this goes to arb, he is not above the team, and i doubt that he would get as much in arb then he would if he signed the long term deal (4.5 mil rumors)

patience please

if dubi signed, id be more satisfied with brooks looking like a jack ***, then i would with knowing dubis here long term

Last edited by nyrfan1026: 07-19-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old
07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
If Rangers are about to sign Eminger, which Brooks is also saying, then Slats is figuring out his last dollars because everyone down to his #7 defenseman will be signed. With that he can offer Dubinsky and Callahan their contracts with what he's got left and either Dubinsky and Callahan can take it and play in NY or not. It's about as simple as that. Dubinsky knows what the cap is and if he is awarded more that what Slats offers in arbitration, he knows he's forcing a trade.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
If Rangers are about to sign Eminger, which Brooks is also saying, then Slats is figuring out his last dollars because everyone down to his #7 defenseman will be signed. With that he can offer Dubinsky and Callahan their contracts with what he's got left and either Dubinsky and Callahan can take it and play in NY or not. It's about as simple as that. Dubinsky knows what the cap is and if he is awarded more that what Slats offers in arbitration, he knows he's forcing a trade.
Don't we have like $11 mil in cap space? Plenty of room...

Old
07-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Well yea, what he is doing isn't wrong, he has all the right to do it, but he's asking for a trade by doing it. It shows greed, etc... If he wanted to sign for 3.8 a year, he would, but noooooooo we need 4.2 ....
The difference between those two numbers isn't nearly as trivial as you're making it out to be. That's $400,000 we're talking about.

He'd be greedy if he was asking for $5MM+. Right now all he's trying to do is maximize his earnings for what will likely be a 4 or 5 year contract.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Honestly, we have no idea what's going on. Where are the leaked numbers that Brooks had no trouble getting his hands on when Zherdev went to arbitration?

It is interesting that Dubi consistently winds up being the ONE player who we all think of as part of the "core" that is problematic to sign. Either this means that:
- the Rangers don't value him as highly as his apparent market comps;
- Dubinsky overvalues his own worth vis a vis those comps; or
- both.

Would love to know the dollars and years being thrown around on both sides...

Anyhoo. Hopefully it's all a moot point before 9am on Thurs.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:50 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Does that really show greed? I don't think so. Heck, i would do the same if I were him. Look around the league at the comparable contracts he deserves over 4 mill per. Not greedy, smart.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
turcotte8

NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Latest on #NYR: Source says Brandon Dubinsky holdup is length of contract; Ryan Callahan's agent remains patient: http://nydn.us/ngNLSA

"With Brandon Dubinsky’s arbitration hearing set for Thursday, a deal does not appear close, and a source has told the Daily News that the sticking point in negotiations is not money, but years for a new contract."

Last edited by turcotte8: 07-19-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
and those worried about dubi leaving, i doubt torts would let that fly,
Did anyone, anyone think that Holmgren would move Carter AND Richards (the equivalent of our Dubi & Cally) in one fell swoop...?

Go back to a few days before the draft and try to objectively ask yourself, what's more likely, Dubinsky&Callahan are traded or Carter&Richards are traded?

Old
07-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Honestly, we have no idea what's going on. Where are the leaked numbers that Brooks had no trouble getting his hands on when Zherdev went to arbitration?

It is interesting that Dubi consistently winds up being the ONE player who we all think of as part of the "core" that is problematic to sign. Either this means that:
- the Rangers don't value him as highly as his apparent market comps;
- Dubinsky overvalues his own worth vis a vis those comps; or
- both.

Would love to know the dollars and years being thrown around on both sides...

Anyhoo. Hopefully it's all a moot point before 9am on Thurs.
You missed one: - Dubinsky's agent is a ****** and is advising Dubinsky not to sign deal X because he deserves deal Y, or something to that effect.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Latest on #NYR: Source says Brandon Dubinsky holdup is length of contract; Ryan Callahan's agent remains patient: http://nydn.us/ngNLSA
This is good news, that means they're close

Old
07-19-2011, 12:58 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
If you read the article, the holdup is allegedly that Dubinsky is looking for the longer term. Why the heck should that be a holdup (unless the term is insane)? If the cap hit is agreed upon, we should much prefer 6 years instead of 4, 7 instead of 5, etc. We'd be eating up more UFA years, and considering he's only 25, even locking him up for 8 years would still be his prime.

Hopefully that source is correct and Dubinsky really wants more years rather than few.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:00 PM
mcsauer2738

Don't Dubi and Zajac have the same agent? In that case Glen should say hey look at this guy Zajac who put up 67 points in a contract year and the rfa contract he got

Closed Thread