HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Kovalev called PG and offered him 1Y/1M.. Would you?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2011, 12:19 PM
  #226
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Lol, I copy/pasted it from your post...but anyways, best case scenario...I think Kovy would be more of a ground rule double, then a grand slam homerun lol
Haha fair enough. I'm too lazy to go back and look, so I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
First of all...I don't think there's a possibility of Kovalev offering his services for 1M, ESPECIALLY to Montreal, I think his ego's way to big for that lol (just an assumption on my part, granted). But again, if the Habs are looking to add a cheap, player to their bottom 6, there are alot better option than Kovalev right now.
Agreed, I was just going with the theme of the thread. I personally don't think he would offer to play for us, at such a low amount.

Of course there is, but we're going by what the OP has proposed. As I mentioned, if the OP had provided a list of players who would be willing to sign with us for 1M. My answer would probably be different, depending who was on the list.

Quote:
But let's just say, God forbid, today we find out Cammalleri hurt himself training in the offseason and will miss the first 3 months of the year. Then signing Kovalev would make more sense to me and it's something I might consider, at the right price of course.
Agreed, but what's the difference between having him on our roster from the beginning of the season, to signing him once we lose a top six winger? Especially if we can get him for 1M right now.


Quote:
Well, like I said...I think his 'love of Montreal' is overstated. That was a competitive offer, had he 'loved' Montreal as much as many of his groupies think, he would of been all over that.
I can't argue this, as I don't know for sure. In saying that, hockey is a business. You can love your job, but if you feel you can get a few extra bucks on your contract. Would you not give it a shot? I just think that Kovalev didn't consider the fact that the Habs had other options. He got greedy and it backfired.


Quote:
Kovalev spent the last 1 and a half on a putrid Ottawa Senators team, where he didn't get along with the coach and they missed the playoffs his 1st year and were even worse last year. He had an opportunity to play on a team heading to the playoffs...what more motivation do you need?

Do you guys really believe that the Montreal Canadiens are the center of the universe and some players will try harder here? Come on man lol...no offense, but that's just fantasy. Kovalev flopped in Pittsburgh because they play a high tempo style in Pittsburgh, Bylsma asks alot from his forwards in terms of forechecking and playing at a high tempo and Kovalev just didn't fit in with his 'slow it down' way of playing...and he's too stubborn, or maybe just unable at this point in his career, to adjust his game accordingly. I mean, they brought him over to score goals, the dude had 28 shots on goal in 20 games there
Now you're putting words in my mouth, as I never said anything remotely close to that. Kovalev came out and stated within days of signing the contract with the Sens. That he wished things had worked out differently and that he was back with the Habs. To me that sounds like he would "try harder" if given the chance to come back to play for the Habs. I'm not sure though, maybe that's just me.

I would say he flopped in Pittsburgh more because his center for more than half the time he was there, was that Mark Letestu. With a variation of James Neal, Dustin Jeffrey, Maxine Talbot, Eric Tagrandi, Micheal Rupp, and Chris Kunitz playing on his opposite wing.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:28 PM
  #227
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
A couple of questions...

- why is he worth it even if he doesn't work out? I could say the same about signing Steve Bernier to a 1M deal...hell, you can say the same about alot of players.

- also, why is he a 'grand slam home run' if it works out? How many players who are still left unsigned this late in July, coming off 2 putrid seasons, knee operations and would hypothetically sign 1 year 1M deals, become 'home runs'???



There is multiple evidence of proof...he doesn't mesh well in a structured system. This has been proven throughout his career, hell he even says so himself. Kovalev needs freedom to express his talent.



I can't speak for others...but I've watched him extensively in Ottawa and Pittsburgh and the reasons I wouldn't want him back have little to do with his perceived 'attitude' or 'lack of effort' and has everything to do with his deteriorating skills (don't get me wrong, he's still got a ton of individual skill).

Question #1: Sorry I wasn't very clear. Obviously if he sucks and retires after 10 games he isn't worth the 1 million. What I meant when I said that was it would be worth the risk at 1 million given our cap situation being friendly, Kovalev being old could retire or even go back to Russia. They wouldn't keep him if he wasn't performing so what I mean is it would be worth the risk even if it didn't pan out, just due to the upside being worth it. Now if it was 5 million or even 1 million multiple years... I'd agree with you. But given that signing him could potentially have no negative affect on the team even if he does end up in the press box or retires, I just don't see the issue with taking a gamble. Also before I wasn't necessarily trying to compare him to Recchi as a player but rather compare the age difference and show that older players are still able to perform, even if they have had a bad season or two along the way. I don't think we should just assume Kovalev is finished.

Question #2: If it works out that means he'd be a contributing 3rd line winger and mentor to some of our younger guys. In my eyes that is a grand slam because you're only paying the guy 1 million a season and he's a skilled vet who can step up and help out the top lines or PP in case of injury. How anyone could not see that as a grand slam is beyond me. I'm not saying it's the same as signing Crosby, I'm not even trying to say he'll have an 85pt season, but realistically speaking if Kovalev signs for 1 million and contributes on the 3rd line that's a home run in my books. Grand slam might have been overdoing it but ultimately in the context of hockey it's semantics. All I mean is if he fits the role for 1 million that's a great signing for both parties.

All the other stuff you said imo is purely opinion and I'm not going to argue for or against it. We both have our opinions. I saw Kovy in Pittsburgh/Ottawa too. He appeared to be completely unmotivated and said all along he wanted to play here. If he's the one calling up PG offering good dollars for a chance I just can't see how a camp invite (try out) isn't worth while let alone spending 1 mil of cap space we have no where to spend it.

Obviously given our cap room we could get Gorges, 4th Liner, even another depth player and still add Kovy at 1 million. I just don't see how adding a player for depth who could pan out even if it's not a high percentage chance isn't worth considering. If it does work out great we get a depth player who can help out a ton in terms of injuries. If it doesn't work out Kovalev gets to retire a hab like he should and it isn't like you'll be saying "**** now we can't sign another marginal 700k player because we signed Kovalev". We have plenty of room and the odds of needing another player if we signed Kovy, Gorges, wouldn't be that high. In fact even if we did we'd either have the room to sign that player when needed or have already signed them.

Anyways neither of us are going to change our opinions. I still think Kovalev can be a factor for a team, maybe even ours. You seem to think that for the most part he's deteriorated to the point of being AHL worthy. (not your words mind you)

All I can say is that everyone on that 2010-11 squad looked like their skills deteriorated. It was a very bad year for Ottawa in general. Bad coach, bad management decisions, bad injuries, everything went wrong. Just because in the sliver of games he was on a similarly injured but deeper Pittsburgh team he didn't light it up, it doesn't mean he couldn't somehow perform well for us and I'm certainly not going to use one season as a measuring stick for how a player will do in the future. Not when that player has bounced back from a bad season before, not when numerous players who have been thought to have been "finished" have done the same. I may be wrong like I said it's all just opinion, but if you're going to paint Kovalev with that brush do the same for Gonchar, Alfy, Spezza, Phillips, etc. Are they all going to be terrible for the rest of their careers? Why is it that Kovalev of all people will be just because he also had a terrible season on a terrible team?

I know you say you know what you saw, I know what I saw when Tomas Plekanec had a bad season too. He bounced back.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:33 PM
  #228
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,779
vCash: 500
We should sign Yashin instead.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:34 PM
  #229
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
i agree with your post 100%. The only thing i can say is, even at 1 mil, as a fan i get really frustrated when i see a guy show up once every five, six games. Imagine his team mates, and especially his line mates. Watchin a guy coast along, waiting for the play to come to him, the puck to land on his stick,that's gotta be frustrating. I'd bet my pretty penny that other players are botherd by this type of player, even though they may not be vocal about it.
I agree with you, watching Kovalev play is not something I would recommend for people with high blood pressure. In saying that though, I've never heard one negative comment from a former team mate about him. Sure some might not be vocal, but after playing all these years. You'd think that atleast a couple would come out and say something negative about playing on a line with him. The worst I've heard is he likes to extend his shifts from time to time.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:38 PM
  #230
Habblues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sec 9 Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
YES in a heartbeat ! I think he has some unfinished business here in Montreal. Like him or hate him he can be a game breaker. And he has come through for us many times in the past. Man people forget easily in Montreal.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:00 PM
  #231
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
YES in a heartbeat ! I think he has some unfinished business here in Montreal. Like him or hate him he can be a game breaker. And he has come through for us many times in the past. Man people forget easily in Montreal.
Unfinished? The guy was a HUGE deal here in the latter half of his contract

Sometimes I get the feeling that the only reason some people want him back is the fact that while he played poorly in the last 2 seasons, it wasn't for us... I can't imagine how different things would be if he actually did

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:01 PM
  #232
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favre4Favre View Post
I agree with you, watching Kovalev play is not something I would recommend for people with high blood pressure. In saying that though, I've never heard one negative comment from a former team mate about him. Sure some might not be vocal, but after playing all these years. You'd think that atleast a couple would come out and say something negative about playing on a line with him. The worst I've heard is he likes to extend his shifts from time to time.
Also the whole "only shows up for 1 game out of 5" comment is exaggerated as well.

Nobody in the NHL only shows up for 1 game out of 5. This perception of Kovalev being more talented than Lemieux but not putting up points due to effort is just plain wrong.

On some nights he didn't show up, I know this even as a fan of his, and he did some selfish things on the ice too at times. That having been said everyone makes mistakes and the fact that his "not showing up" now and then has been magnified by the fishbowl and also fans exaggerations certainly doesn't make it true.

I'm not saying he isn't finished, just saying 1 year 1 million is worth a shot no matter which way you slice it. Other players don't want to play here, you get a player that bleeds bleu blanc et rouge and you take the chance, they give us the respect a lot of other players don't. Plus unlike other random UFA willing to sign here Kovalev gave 4 years of his life to this city and like I said in my original post about it no matter which way you slice it consistently being a 65pt guy on average over 4 years means you showed up a lot more often than 1/5 games. Try 4/5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
Unfinished? The guy was a HUGE deal here in the latter half of his contract

Sometimes I get the feeling that the only reason some people want him back is the fact that while he played poorly in the last 2 seasons, it wasn't for us... I can't imagine how different things would be if he actually did
If he played an entire season on Malkin's wing while the Pens players all racked up points and he didn't and kept getting moved around, benched, etc, then I'd agree with you.

He played for the Ottawa ****ing Senators for christs sake. A team that had career lows across the board. From there he went on to a decimated Pittsburgh. Who is to even assume he wouldn't have continued pace if he had stayed with us?

His first season in Ottawa though they were bad, he wasn't statistically bad at all. The second season they were much worse and it's reflected in his stats as well. I really doubt if everyone on Ottawa was gelling and they were making the playoffs Kovalev would have been the one anomaly doing terribly

Is Gonchar finished now too because he plays for Ottawa?

Personally I don't like using Gonchar as an example cause I just plain don't like him, but even I can see it's a relatively fair comparison.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
  #233
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,844
vCash: 500
I don't think he fits the kind of team PG wants to build, he likes to slow the pace down and PG wants a team that can skate and push the pace of the game like Detroit does well.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:18 PM
  #234
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,855
vCash: 500
Sure, I'd take him.

Even when he dogged it he was a better player than Andrei (who is somehow still going to unlock that magic "potential" box, right?)

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
  #235
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

If he played an entire season on Malkin's wing while the Pens players all racked up points and he didn't and kept getting moved around, benched, etc, then I'd agree with you.

He played for the Ottawa ****ing Senators for christs sake. A team that had career lows across the board. From there he went on to a decimated Pittsburgh. Who is to even assume he wouldn't have continued pace if he had stayed with us?

His first season in Ottawa though they were bad, he wasn't statistically bad at all. The second season they were much worse and it's reflected in his stats as well. I really doubt if everyone on Ottawa was gelling and they were making the playoffs Kovalev would have been the one anomaly doing terribly

Is Gonchar finished now too because he plays for Ottawa?

Personally I don't like using Gonchar as an example cause I just plain don't like him, but even I can see it's a relatively fair comparison.
I applaud you for your unwavering faith. I will gladly accept an "I told you so" should you be proven right

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:29 PM
  #236
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favre4Favre View Post
Quote:
Agreed, but what's the difference between having him on our roster from the beginning of the season, to signing him once we lose a top six winger? Especially if we can get him for 1M right now.
I think you misunderstood my point...what i'm saying is that, let's say, God forbid...the Habs were to lose one of their top 6 players today and he would be out for the first 3 months of the season (totally hypothetical situation), then I could understand signing Kovalev...

To me, unless you're going to play Kovalev 15-18+ mins a game, every night, give him ample PP time, then there's no point in signing him (which doesnt even address the question of why you would want Kovalev play such a role anyways at this point in his career).

Basically, Kovalev does not have the ability to play as a support player...he's just not suited to play an adaptable role with shifting responsibilities and duties. He has and always will be the same type of player he always has been.

Quote:
I can't argue this, as I don't know for sure. In saying that, hockey is a business. You can love your job, but if you feel you can get a few extra bucks on your contract. Would you not give it a shot? I just think that Kovalev didn't consider the fact that the Habs had other options. He got greedy and it backfired.
Agreed...but i'm just saying that's why I don't buy that he 'loves Montreal' as much as many portray he does. Andrei Markov you can say 'loves Montreal'...he's twice foregone unrestricted free agency to stay and play in Montreal. That's loyalty.

Quote:
Now you're putting words in my mouth, as I never said anything remotely close to that. Kovalev came out and stated within days of signing the contract with the Sens. That he wished things had worked out differently and that he was back with the Habs. To me that sounds like he would "try harder" if given the chance to come back to play for the Habs. I'm not sure though, maybe that's just me.
To me, that sounds like a guy I don't want to sign...there's something wrong when you sign a contract in another city, then days later say you wish you had stayed in your original city. I mean, it's ok to think it...but to come out and flat out admit it to the media??? There's something wrong with that...

But that's just me

Quote:
I would say he flopped in Pittsburgh more because his center for more than half the time he was there, was that Mark Letestu. With a variation of James Neal, Dustin Jeffrey, Maxine Talbot, Eric Tagrandi, Micheal Rupp, and Chris Kunitz playing on his opposite wing
Well if he were to sign with the Habs to a hypothetical 1yr 1M deal...he's going to play with Lars Eller, Andrei Kostitsyn, David Desharnais, Travis moen, Mathieu Darche, Ryan White.

If he couldn't get it done with the first group of players...what makes you think he will with the 2nd group? I mean, i'm a die hard Habs fans...but I don't see much difference between both groups.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:40 PM
  #237
RandR
Registered User
 
RandR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
At this point, I wouldn't take him for free.


And if he showed up in the Bell Centre and tried to come into the dressing room or talk to one of our players, I'd call security.

Really.

RandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:48 PM
  #238
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I
Quote:
Question #1: Sorry I wasn't very clear. Obviously if he sucks and retires after 10 games he isn't worth the 1 million. What I meant when I said that was it would be worth the risk at 1 million given our cap situation being friendly, Kovalev being old could retire or even go back to Russia. They wouldn't keep him if he wasn't performing so what I mean is it would be worth the risk even if it didn't pan out, just due to the upside being worth it. Now if it was 5 million or even 1 million multiple years... I'd agree with you. But given that signing him could potentially have no negative affect on the team even if he does end up in the press box or retires, I just don't see the issue with taking a gamble. Also before I wasn't necessarily trying to compare him to Recchi as a player but rather compare the age difference and show that older players are still able to perform, even if they have had a bad season or two along the way. I don't think we should just assume Kovalev is finished.
So let me get this straight...you think that if Kovalev signed here with the Habs, then was so innefective he was waive him...that it wouldn't cause any distraction for the team?

Are you serious right now? Stop playin' yourself...if Kovalev were to suck so bad that the Habs would waive him, that means even before it got to that point, there would be tons of drama surrounding the team.

Quote:
Question #2: If it works out that means he'd be a contributing 3rd line winger and mentor to some of our younger guys. In my eyes that is a grand slam because you're only paying the guy 1 million a season and he's a skilled vet who can step up and help out the top lines or PP in case of injury. How anyone could not see that as a grand slam is beyond me. I'm not saying it's the same as signing Crosby, I'm not even trying to say he'll have an 85pt season, but realistically speaking if Kovalev signs for 1 million and contributes on the 3rd line that's a home run in my books. Grand slam might have been overdoing it but ultimately in the context of hockey it's semantics. All I mean is if he fits the role for 1 million that's a great signing for both parties.
That's because I don't think Kovalev is able to contribute as a bit player...he never has, he never will.

Quote:
All the other stuff you said imo is purely opinion and I'm not going to argue for or against it. We both have our opinions. I saw Kovy in Pittsburgh/Ottawa too. He appeared to be completely unmotivated and said all along he wanted to play here. If he's the one calling up PG offering good dollars for a chance I just can't see how a camp invite (try out) isn't worth while let alone spending 1 mil of cap space we have no where to spend it.
#1 - I'm not sure which part of my post you mean is 'purely opinion'...

#2 - You don't find there's something wrong with a player who was JUST moved from a bottom dweller to a 4th place team who was heading to the playoffs, yet STILL appears UNMOTIVATED? I don't know...I get red flags when I see that, something doesn't jive. If he loved Montreal that much that he can only be bothered to care enough to try to play in Montreal, then why did you leave???

Quote:
Obviously given our cap room we could get Gorges, 4th Liner, even another depth player and still add Kovy at 1 million. I just don't see how adding a player for depth who could pan out even if it's not a high percentage chance isn't worth considering. If it does work out great we get a depth player who can help out a ton in terms of injuries. If it doesn't work out Kovalev gets to retire a hab like he should and it isn't like you'll be saying "**** now we can't sign another marginal 700k player because we signed Kovalev". We have plenty of room and the odds of needing another player if we signed Kovy, Gorges, wouldn't be that high. In fact even if we did we'd either have the room to sign that player when needed or have already signed them.
As I mentioned, Kovalev doesn't strike me as the type of player who would succeed in a 'depth role'. It's just not his profile.

Quote:
Anyways neither of us are going to change our opinions. I still think Kovalev can be a factor for a team, maybe even ours. You seem to think that for the most part he's deteriorated to the point of being AHL worthy. (not your words mind you)
Not AHL worthy...just 'specific team' worthy. Meaning that Kovalev, IMO, could only have success on a team that plays a free flowing style of hockey. One where the coaches don't demand and require their wingers to come back deep and help out their defensman and a coach who doesn't emphasize keeping shifts short and most importantly, a team that is strong at even strength, that they can live with his ineffectiveness at 5 on 5.
Quote:
know you say you know what you saw, I know what I saw when Tomas Plekanec had a bad season too. He bounced back
I never worried about Plekanec's bad year, I knew that he was able to adjust his game accordingly. He went into that offseason and noticed he had to change certain things about this game to have success.

Kovalev is a non-adaptable player...coaches, teamates, linemates have always have to adapt to HIM. That doesn't make him a bad person...it just makes him a difficult fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think he fits the kind of team PG wants to build, he likes to slow the pace down and PG wants a team that can skate and push the pace of the game like Detroit does well.
Agreed...it doesn't make Kovalev a bad player. Just means he needs the right kind of team to fit.


Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-19-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: merged posts
417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:24 PM
  #239
KingKovy
Registered User
 
KingKovy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
your post is an insult to mario.

edit: and paul dipietro basically took the words out of my mouth
Mario is my favorite player ever and Kovalev isn't even close from being Mario or even having half his talent but what most of you criticize kovy's play for is exactly how Mario played the game.. I will take a player who slows down the game any day (if he has the talent to) over shoot from the red line JM style..

I can understand the arguments of some people saying he doesn't fit our team at the moment or JM's style of play but those of you who just blatantly criticize his overall game are just idiots.. You were the first ones cheering his name when he one timed a puck in the net against Boston that the camera couldn't even catch or when he waited for the puck to get at the crossbar's height to tap it in against Philly at a critical playoff moment.. I hate any player that plays better in the season than in the playoffs and this guy is certainly one that you want on your team when it actually counts

KingKovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:42 PM
  #240
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,474
vCash: 500
I don't understand the attachment people had to him here. It never made sense to me. He is lazy, and every year there is some stupid crisis involving him somehow. He always seems to cause problems...It's like drama follows him. He always needs to be the centre of attention. I can't stand it.

He isn't the only guy who always seemed to have drama around him. Guys like Koivu, Price, Theodore and Ribeiro always had some big drama issue at least once a year as well. The difference is that they at least didn't seem like they wanted it. A lot of it came accross as the media trying to make a story out of nothing. With Kovalev, he seemed to LIKE the drama. It was like he enjoyed it and encouraged it.

Every ****ing year...Secret Russian interviews and secret illnesses and secret walks on the old port with Bob Gainey...I can't stand it.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:47 PM
  #241
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I don't understand the attachment people had to him here. It never made sense to me. He is lazy, and every year there is some stupid crisis involving him somehow. He always seems to cause problems...It's like drama follows him. He always needs to be the centre of attention. I can't stand it.

He isn't the only guy who always seemed to have drama around him. Guys like Koivu, Price, Theodore and Ribeiro always had some big drama issue at least once a year as well. The difference is that they at least didn't seem like they wanted it. A lot of it came accross as the media trying to make a story out of nothing. With Kovalev, he seemed to LIKE the drama. It was like he enjoyed it and encouraged it.

Every ****ing year...Secret Russian interviews and secret illnesses and secret walks on the old port with Bob Gainey...I can't stand it.
I agree about that...every year there was some type of tabloid-type dram around Kovalev and the Habs.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 03:46 PM
  #242
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
So let me get this straight...you think that if Kovalev signed here with the Habs, then was so innefective he was waive him...that it wouldn't cause any distraction for the team?

Are you serious right now? Stop playin' yourself...if Kovalev were to suck so bad that the Habs would waive him, that means even before it got to that point, there would be tons of drama surrounding the team.



That's because I don't think Kovalev is able to contribute as a bit player...he never has, he never will.



#1 - I'm not sure which part of my post you mean is 'purely opinion'...

#2 - You don't find there's something wrong with a player who was JUST moved from a bottom dweller to a 4th place team who was heading to the playoffs, yet STILL appears UNMOTIVATED? I don't know...I get red flags when I see that, something doesn't jive. If he loved Montreal that much that he can only be bothered to care enough to try to play in Montreal, then why did you leave???



As I mentioned, Kovalev doesn't strike me as the type of player who would succeed in a 'depth role'. It's just not his profile.


Not AHL worthy...just 'specific team' worthy. Meaning that Kovalev, IMO, could only have success on a team that plays a free flowing style of hockey. One where the coaches don't demand and require their wingers to come back deep and help out their defensman and a coach who doesn't emphasize keeping shifts short and most importantly, a team that is strong at even strength, that they can live with his ineffectiveness at 5 on 5.


I never worried about Plekanec's bad year, I knew that he was able to adjust his game accordingly. He went into that offseason and noticed he had to change certain things about this game to have success.

Kovalev is a non-adaptable player...coaches, teamates, linemates have always have to adapt to HIM. That doesn't make him a bad person...it just makes him a difficult fit.
I think you put far too much stock in a guy getting waived affecting the team. Kovalev would be signing here under the circumstance that no other teams want him and that he's at the end of his career. Like a try out. He would either retire or be waived/press box if he could not play at a 3rd line level.

The players most of them pay no attention to the media or that kind of crap on how they play. This isn't Kostitsyn and Hammer being accused of being involved with a known cocaine trafficker, it's Kovalev being signed for cheap based on potential to succeed and retiring or going off to Russia if he can't achieve that potential.

This happens all the time in sports. I don't get why all of the sudden because it's Kovalev and the habs you expect it to be any different. The fans make drama out of it and obsess and it's great for them but aside from getting relentlessly booed they have no bearing on how he or any other player on the team will play. Most players ignore the media entirely for a reason.

When other older players signed contracts or did try-outs and didn't succeed and were waived, retired, went off to a lesser league, it has never once been a problem. Sure the media in Montreal would act like idiots as would a ton of fans but that has no bearing on the team. If you think it affects more than just a small minority of players who likely lack confidence in the first place, then I don't know what to say to you. Kovalev failing here would be what it is. A failed attempt at coming back. You think PG and company base decisions on what would happen if they had to waive a guy? The only time that's ever an equation is when cap space isn't abundant and you need every last cent. This year this isn't the case for us. Even if nobody took him off waivers etc he would still not affect us negatively, we aren't using those dollars.

Why does it make any difference which aging vet we choose to fill that role with. Nobody viable is left on the market and the few people who are aren't going to sign for cheap and nor do they have the potential Kovalev has. I do agree with your point that other players have intangibles he doesn't have but lets not pretend a motivated and healthy Kovalev is useless either. We're trying to roll with 3 scoring lines this year and to do so consistently you need scoring depth. Even if it's a guy like Kovalev. Not saying it has to be, I just don't think it's nearly as dramatic a decision as a lot of people here make it out to be.

For starters a lot of those people saying that are haters who won't be happy regardless of how Kovy performs. They have their pre-conceived notion in their heads about how Kovy performs and they won't change their minds. But no amount of fan related drama is going to influence a PG decision. Whether or not he feels he can improve his team and depth will influence his decision. Not saying he shares my opinion on Kovalev far from it, but to bring up the drama aspect to me is quite laughable. It's blown way out of proportion in Montreal just like Kovalev not showing up is exaggerated to extreme levels. A guy who puts up almost a ppg doesn't show up only 1/5 games sorry to say but that's just false. (And no he doesn't have Lemieux level talent and chooses to only use it 1/5 times, the level of absurdity associated with comments like that ridiculous)

Plus I think it's ridiculous that some of you guys are implying that "Kovalev drama" is any better or worse than "SK, Koivu, AK, etc drama". Who gives an honest **** whether or not the player likes the drama, and assuming Kovy does with little to no proof other than not liking him is silly as well. There's no evidence to support that claim other than "you can just tell by his face" lmao.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 03:53 PM
  #243
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,559
vCash: 500
To Neofury:

The drama has about 10% to do of why i don't want Kovalev back...his play on the ice is the other 90% of why I don't want him back.

I just dont' think he's a very effective player anymore...if the game of hockey in the NHL was played 3 on 3, then yeah, I could see wanting Kovalev. But it's not...

It's great that the guy can stickhandle in the phone bootha and every once in a while, he actually uses his shot and is able to pick a corner. But that doesnt make up for the rest of his shortcomings (which i've gone over ad-nauseaum in this thread).

With all due respect...we're just not going to agree on this. I had the same debate with Habs fans who wanted Kovy back at the trade deadline and were up in arms he landed in Pittsburgh and were so convinced he'd kill it over there.

I thought that was enough proof of his ability to contribute at this stage of his career...but as long as people keep making up youtube packages with his best goals as a Hab, people will always believe he can help. Hell, I think that when he's 50yrs old...they'll be a thread on here about bringing back Kovalev lol (not you specifically btw)

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:00 PM
  #244
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Hell, I think that when he's 50yrs old...they'll be a thread on here about bringing back Kovalev lol (not you specifically btw)
Like the Damphousse and Corson threads .

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:21 PM
  #245
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,196
vCash: 500
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.