HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McD + for MPS - would you do it?

Old
07-19-2011, 11:52 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
McDonagh's offensive game never developed. Hoping he will become some 40 point defenseman, IMO, is far too high. If he can put up around 25-30 points while staying solid defensively it should be looked at as a success.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
It's tempting for sure............if i'm Slats it's something I would have to consider for a while. I don't do it now but if some other young D emerges this year I think it might tip my decision to yes.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
McDonagh's offensive game never developed. Hoping he will become some 40 point defenseman, IMO, is far too high. If he can put up around 25-30 points while staying solid defensively it should be looked at as a success.
He was a rookie, you can't figure his future offensive output by one rookie season. Staal didn't show much on the offensive side in his first year, atleast not like we see now. Staal been in the league longer and I still think he can get a bit better offensively.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
He was a rookie, you can't figure his future offensive output by one rookie season. Staal didn't show much on the offensive side in his first year, atleast not like we see now. Staal been in the league longer and I still think he can get a bit better offensively.
Agreed, especially since he plays defense on a team coached by Torts

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
This line doesn't make me a knowitall.

Or that a prospect like McDonagh is that much more valuable to this team than a player like MPS would. Or that nobody in our pipe-line can potentially replace him.

you reveal your bias by referring to McD as a prospect and MPS as a player. McD played a solid and sometimes spectacular game last year; he was around +17 in 40 games during a time when the Rangers didn't play that well. And to say that he will never be elite at anything is beyond ridiculous.

Will he be an all-star? Don't know. I do know he has the tools to reach that level. Whether he gets there remains to be seen but to state as a matter of fact that he will never be elite is foolish and should disqualify you from discussing anything McDonagh related because there is no objectivity in your thought process.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
This is what it really boils down to. It's mis-management to make a McDonagh-Paajarvi swap at this juncture -- it would make more sense next offseason, if Erixon proved himself capable of top-4 minutes. Even then, why trade either? You could potentially have a 1st pair caliber defenseman on each pairing -- that's the kind of depth that wins you championships.
totally agree. defenseman are more valuable than wingers...and young defenseman with that kind of a rookie performance, and that kind of a college pedigree don't grow on trees.

Right now, to me, the most "tradeable" rangers defenseman would be Dan Girardi. Frankly I think McDonagh might make him the easiest to move. He's a damn good defenseman, with a very reasonable contract. Id be more than willing to do Dan Girardi for MPS.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:45 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
You make it sound like a done deal, that players never improve beyond their first year, that it's over for him and he won't get better. He was a 1st rd. pick, don't forget that - plus the just because he starts off bing solid defensively doesn't mean offense can't develop later. Defensemen are notorious for developing slowly...and if you want a perfect example, just look at Staal, who has slowly improved on offense every year now and showed some flashes last year, and was very productive.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote